Religion A lesson for ex-Christians?

Tsuyoiko

DON'T PANIC!
Reaction score
I saw this passage in the book I am reading at the moment. It is a beautiful, philosophical novel called The Root and the Flower, by L H Myers. I don't necessarily agree with everything here, but it gave me a lot to think about - and I think it's beautifully written.
Rajah Amar said:
We began with a discussion of Christianity, which was started by some remark of mine about Sita and her view of the Buddhist faith. Oddly enough, it was not long before I found myself engaged in a defence of Sita's religion - a change of sides for me, as my part until today had always been that of objector. But I have been a sympathetic objector, whereas Smith is quite the reverse. The hostile gleam that came into his eyes as he denounced the faith of his fathers took me aback at the time, and I cannot recall it now without astonishment. I am certain that Smith is one of the most kindly-intentioned of men, yet he nourishes his prejudices with the milk of hatred. The fact is that with sixteen centuries of Christianity behind him, to say nothing of a Christian upbringing, he has become incapable of taking an impartial view, or even of realising that his view is lacking in impartiality. Just as he might have become a fighting bigot, he has actually become a fighting apostate. Could he but read the New Testament in the same spirit in which he reads his Plato, it would move him to the profoundest depths of his being - just as it did me, when I first read it. Could he but consider the character of Christ as he has considered that of Socrates, he would be overwhelmed by its beauty. But this is quite beyond him; and if he is prone to associate the names of Christ, Socrates and Buddha, that is done, I fear, not with any intention of honouring Christ but rather in order to bring him down from the unique position that Christians assign to him.

It is beautifully written. That's a nice find and a nice post there; thanks Tsuyoiko san !! The content does highlight some of the purest threads of thought of understanding of the characters portrayed in the writings of philosophical/religious thinkers of the past. I like it !!

That is beautifully written, and it is speaks of something that I caught myself doing within the first few months of abondoning Christianity. Now I often see Christianity in many different lights, depending on what part is brought up. Reading some parts of the Bible brings me great comfort, while discussing a book I'm reading with a Christian can get me highly irritated (associating the Dalai Lama with demons), and feeling just a bit anti-Christian.

I don't have to mention that I have been offended by the tone of some of the anti-Christian postings on this forum. The level of emotion devoted to efforts to slam, ridicule, debunk, or even "discuss" (what they think slamming, ridiculing and debunking is) Christianity by those who are essentially non-believers and ex-accolates takes me back-- I was stunned. It is like what you hear from an ex-smoker if you light up in front of one. Perhaps we all have a lesson to learn hear.

sabro said:
The level of emotion devoted to . . .

I can well feel where you are coming from on that, sabro san. I do appreciate your wording, as highlighted here. :cool:

Thanks for the replies guys. It's definitely a book I would recommend to anyone interested in religion, philosophy or history, as it has a bit of each - as well as being an engaging, character-driven story. I read all 640 pages in ten days, that's how good it was!

What a babe. Captured my heart right away. (Especially that winning smile...)

This thread has been viewed 270 times.

Back