Luso

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Portuguese
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-Z225
mtDNA haplogroup
H1c3
Hi, before my uncle passed away I had the pleasure of discovering that his paternal line is G-Y65. My family is from southern Portugal for at least 500-600 years from a place called Silves nearby the Monchique Mountains.
Is there any good information or assumptions that can he made about this ydna? I know it’s quite rare to have G2a nowadays in west europe. I have also heard it’s associated with neolithic, anatolian farmers and peaks in modern sardinia. Was it common amongst megalithic farmer people like i2a?

thanks!

Seems to originate with Cardial Neolithic but the big bottleneck/founder effect happened during the Bronze Age. Its spread seems associated with Punics, Iberians, Imperial Romans or a combination of those. I definitely expect this haplogroup (or its cousin branches) to pop-up in upcoming Western and Central Mediterranean papers.

Seems to originate with Cardial Neolithic but the big bottleneck/founder effect happened during the Bronze Age. Its spread seems associated with Punics, Iberians, Imperial Romans or a combination of those. I definitely expect this haplogroup (or its cousin branches) to pop-up in upcoming Western and Central Mediterranean papers.
if i recall some ancient Pompeians got it? Forget which paper, and I don't think they were ever uploaded :(

Thanks for the info.

This thread has been viewed 1117 times.

Back