Religion Are North Americans more reactionary towards religion?

Tolerance towards religion in the US

Sensuikan San said:
I doubt very strongly that you would find New York, Toronto, L.A. , Chicago or Vancouver much different from Europe in their attitude. On the other hand ... in smaller or tighter communities like Red Deer, Saskatooon, Des Moines, Little Rock .... or anywhere in the "Deep South" - the argument may well hold sway !
Of what little I have seen of the US, what you say holds true for many young city dwellers from small towns. If a high school graduate from a religious family/community leaves home for school or work and lives somewhere else, some would find a church and attend the services regularly, but the majority would go hibernating. When asked if they were religious, they would often say, "I'm Christian, but a non-practicing Christian." This was the general pattern in the late 1980's.

I must say that a sweeping description of "Americans" as fundamentalists or gay bashers or saying they are skewed towards OT values or Judaism is a bit unbalanced, although you may have a point when comparing Europeans and Americans on statistics. What I have witnessed is quite varied. There are fundamentalists, gay-rights activists, JW's, Moonies, the Mormons, and many, many more. But the general atmosphere was tolerance for other beliefs and values.

Not once did I feel threatened or called down for having different views. But if any particular individual even tried to do something similar, I always knew how to keep the friendly distance without a major conflict or unpleasant feelings. It's very much like leaving an uncomfortable conversation with, "Nice talking to ya, have a nice day!"
Sensuikan San said:
"Never discuss politics or religion in a taxi..."!
One thing that I noticed about Americans in general was how Christianity had gone back to pre-Lutheran illiteracy. Except those few who actually read the bible and studied the meanings, quite a few fundamentalists seemed not to read the bible, but only eager to be spoon fed by the holy men.

This was very stange to me, and it almost looked as if American Chritianity had lapsed into the dark ages. I would say the unforced (non-fundamental) kind of Christianity had turned into almost a folk religion, with values stemming from Chritian beliefs and the bible, but somehow lost contact with the source of spirituality. Their beliefs are simple and primitive.

I would say those qualities are shared by most non-Christian European cousins. For example, as noted in another post, where does the European tendency to be idealistic and moralistic come from ? Nearly 2,000 yrs of influence and education that started in Rome and other parts of Europe noted in the Romans; Spain, Galia, and Germania.

I guess it all depends on the idividual person but my attitude is basically that you can believe what you believe but dont' start preaching it to me and we'll be fine. I haven't really met anyone before that tried to force thier beliefs on me (thankfully) but I'm sure the day will come where that will change.

lexico said:
I would say those qualities are shared by most non-Christian European cousins. For example, as noted in another post, where does the European tendency to be idealistic and moralistic come from ? Nearly 2,000 yrs of influence and education that started in Rome and other parts of Europe noted in the Romans; Spain, Galia, and Germania.

I don't think the Romans were particularily moralistic or idealistic. It all came with Christianity. And many Europeans are not idealistic but at the contrary cynical, and not moralistic, but rather sarcastic and hypercritical. This is more due to the influence of philosophy, especially its revival during the 18th century Enlightenment.

Keep in mind that most of Europe's legal and education system were fundamentally altered after the French Revolution, when France invaded all Europe (but Britain) and forced its new ideas of freedom, laicism and philosophical enlightenement. I suppose the idea or free and universal education stems from these ideas (which the US missed, as they were already independent). The importance of education and knowledge was further emphasized by the funding of university exchange programmes by the EU - and not surprisingly, the name chosen were Erasmus and Socrates, named after two philosophers.

No matter where our current pattern of behaviour has come from, I'd like to suggest that the bible and religion in general may have been an effective tool to rally and motivate people in the past, but is now nothing more than an obsolete code of conduct.

Brooker said:
Religion didn't come up much while Clinton was president. Ah, the good ol' Clinton days. Will we ever see such peace and prosperity again? :(

Maybe it would be good for the country if gee dubya would have some young honey give him a blowjob in the oval office -- it might loosen him up a bit.

TwistedMac said:
No matter where our current pattern of behaviour has come from, I'd like to suggest that the bible and religion in general may have been an effective tool to rally and motivate people in the past, but is now nothing more than an obsolete code of conduct.
Without meaning sarcasm, I believe knowing and understanding the past has much significance for the present and the future. At one point, the JC bible used to be the oldest recorded book of history, as duely noted by the the classical writers, that documented the mythologies, historical events, and the growth of monotheist faiths in the Levant, only to be surpassed by the clay tablets of Mesopotamia.

What I find Ironic is how translation, printing, and literacy of the bible in the vernacular toungues was one major source of inspiration and engine for social change in 16th century Europe, but with the ever increasing industrializing and scientific rationalizing, even this new way of life and beliefs introduced by the protestant revolution were discarded at wholesale.

Extended families, small farms, and ties to the ground and the elements of nature were broken up in the name of development and maximum returns, and Europe at the turn of the 19th century witnessed the death of God and the emergence of Jack the Ripper, the first modern psychopath. It is a social and collective sickness when seen from a greater time scale, and science, finance, economy, arts, or even historical materialism were all incapable of giving either a substitute or a satifying solution to the new kind of problems that came about.

As much as the old fashioned proselytism and evangelism (also observed in the stories of Abraham and Job) were extreme, so are the modern European distancing from traditional beliefs and modes of thinking. What is so lacking in our world today is inspiration for anything bigger than real life; that you (generic plural) seem to get from Hollywood film.

People of the past were less knowledgeable in the sciences as a whole, but I hardly see the modern sarcasm and cynicism any way superior to the ancients simple and limited knowledge. Who or what will breath life back into us, the earthly beings ?? What excites you and inspires you to wish and hope for things better than what you have and know ?? ;)

Last edited:
Mycernius said:
Are North Americans (Canadians and Americans) more reactionary towards religious attitudes than Europeans?
The reason I ask this question comes from personal experience. I am a non-believer in God. When I tell this to most people in Europe I don't get much reaction above 'okay, I'm cool with that. When I have told a North American I get 'What, no way?'. I told my cousins husband I was a non-beliver (He is Canadian) he couldn't grasp the idea and started to refer to me as the devil worshipper. I had to point out that I don't believe in the devil either. He is a Catholic, but I have had the same reaction off North Americans regardless of their belief. I have met Polish poeple, and that is a very religious country, and told them and I have never had that reaction. The same with other Brits, Maltese, Irish etc. The only ones that do react in a similar way are JWs, but then they try to convert you. Shed any light anyone?

In some way yes. The US is one of the only developed countries where religion still holds strong. Majority of the country is religious, about 90%.

Where as in Europe, only 10-40% that is actually religious. Though 70% of Europe is identified as some Christian or whatever, they are only Christian by name and generally not that religious.

It doesn't mean that America is ruder to Atheists or anything; they will just be a little more shocked since so many Americans are religious.

Silverbackman said:
In some way yes. The US is one of the only developed countries where religion still holds strong. Majority of the country is religious, about 90%.

90%? You must be living in the country. Sure isn't like that in the cities. Religious people are in the minority.

Bob in Iowa wrote....
Maybe it would be good for the country if gee dubya would have some young honey give him a blowjob in the oval office -- it might loosen him up a bit.

:D Bwahahahafahaha. You the man, Bob. :wave: I'd rather the president get a little lovin' than start stupid, pointless wars, but then again, I'm not religious.

Maciamo said:
Have you seen this survey of the BBC ? It says that about 55% of Americans regularily attend religious services (against 21% in the UK and 7% in Russia), and 70% of Americans would die for their religion !! (against 19% of Britons). In my experience the 20% or so of very religious Britons are mostly people over 50 year old. Among young people, I'd say less than 5%.

Sometimes stats can be misleading...

http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/church1.htm

This thread has been viewed 1091 times.

Back