bush doesn't know what he's doing

I don't care to get into a love-Bush-hate-Bush discussion, but I would like to point out to RockLee that I never said the OP isn't intelligent. I said he wasn't doing a good job of intelligently presenting his objections. Beyond that I have nothing to add at the moment and the Bush-haters may have the remainder of the thread to commiserate to their hearts' content.

mikecash said:
I don't care to get into a love-Bush-hate-Bush discussion, but I would like to point out to RockLee that I never said the OP isn't intelligent. I said he wasn't doing a good job of intelligently presenting his objections. Beyond that I have nothing to add at the moment and the Bush-haters may have the remainder of the thread to commiserate to their hearts' content.

No need for bitterness. I was just hoping to get into an intelligent debate with someone who had a different opinion. I prefer to 'commiserate' elsewhere.

:p

mikecash said:

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel whenever I think about.

No matter how much you like or dislike the guy, I still don't think people should make a big deal out of it. There are more pressing issues that the country faces that needs to be attended to.

Doc

man, you guy's are racist to twelve year old's...lol

gohan93 said:
who else here thinks president bush has no idea what he's doing.... i think he's an idiot.

If he's not, then he's doing a well job faking it! :eek:kashii:

gohan93 said:
man, you guy's are racist to twelve year old's...lol

That's one of the most mind-boggling comments I've ever read. How on earth can you be racist about someone's age?

What an interesting twist to the racism debate !

Gohan93 said:
You guy's are racist to twelve year old's.
Glenn said:
That's one of the most mind-boggling comments I've ever read. How on earth can you be racist about someone's age ?
Hahahaha....
Okay; I would like to save the embarassment by trying to explain this as a language phenomenon.

Slip of tongue: The two words "discrimination" and "racism" reside very close to each other in our vocabulary space (if I may use the loose term). I've seem this happen several times in other posts, and it can either blamed as lazy-talk or just a simple slip of tongue. This goes to show that there is a material basis to our language; psychological-chemical-physical existence of language is the backdrop that allows these slips-of-tongue to happen.

Metaphor: A word, esp. when the etymology gets blurred, or is not taken into consideration, can often extend its denotation, and deviate or ambiguate its connotation. It could be considered metaphor; leaving it open to criticism because the total message was a short one, without a context for the figure of speech to develop any evocative effect.

Let's just say that it was an understandable thing to say; although there doesn't exist a race that can be called the 12-year-old race. :biggrin:

Other interesting examples might be calling a sexist person a racist as if there were the female race, or calling religious bigotry racism. The case with discrimination against the Jewish is indeed problematic; some consider the Jewish not a racial group but that of a common religion, while some do. Discrimination against an Arab or a person of Islam is often called racism, although Arab/Islam is not a racial designation.

Last edited:
Indeed it seems to be a broadening of the term, as you have so elaborately explicated. I guess I just see it as problematic when the broadening involves such a leap. As you say, it's hard to argue for a 12-year-old race. I know that linguistics works descriptively instead of prescriptively, so I can see your desire to, aside from saving the OP some embarrassment, analyze the origin of such a misuse. However, it seems to me that this sort of misuse should be pointed out to the misuser so that he may avoid it in the future, and thereby give the impression that he is at least somewhat educated.

Having said all of that, I definitely understand where you're coming from, both from the emotional side and the linguistic analytical side, in your breakdown of this situation. Believe me, if I believed it were truly a metaphor for discrimination in general, I wouldn't have brought it up. However, one thing that bothers me about common language usage is that people don't understand the words that they use. I suppose I should give more leeway, as I sometimes misuse words due to not completely understanding what they mean, but at the same time I think there should be some standard (which is probably only arbitrarily decided by me, and desired to be understood by all, as if it could). I'm sure we could argue this to death if we so desired, but in lieu of that (at least for now), I'll just say that I have much more tolerance for words being misused by people who understand that they're misusing them and misuse them as a joke than I do for people who misuse words out of ingorance. Yes, I realize that this opens up a whole new argument, but I'll leave it at this for now. :relief:

Glenn,

I meant no criticism of your post at all; just looking the sheer number of criticisms that Gohan has been getting got me a little concerned because 12 yrs of age can be an impressionalbe time for anyone. Just to ease the situation; not to soften your post to the point of trivializing it. I respect your principle of stating the basics of the English language for the sake of learning that the forum can, and should, foster. Thanks for taking pains to make your intention clear. :)

Kinsao,

There is the strong possibility from the appended "lol." It just wasn't clear whether it was genuine humor, or a means to soften the stronger accusation. Hopefully we can all laugh about it without anybody getting hurt or needlessly upset. ;)

Mike,
Ageism ! You just coined a new word ! :beer:
Now speaking of ageism; is Japan more ageist than other countries, or is it the other way around ? Are Japanese mothers/school teachers more forgiving ? Or less strict in teaching and enforcing the basic rules of proper language ?

Gohan - you're OK, IMHO. You may not be able to articulate yourself as well as us oldies, but at least you are thinking about important issues and have the courage to comment on them. I think most kids your age could learn a lot from you! Good for you! :cool:

thanks, i guess... but lexico made me sound like a girl. :eek:kashii:

He He He .......

You'll have to post your picture in our LOOOONG picture thread so people can use it for their dart board, LOL ! Just remain cool and polite and you'll survive all this. Many regulars here got off to rocky starts. I guess we can try to examine the world through your 12 year old eyes once in a while.

Frank

:blush:

gohan93 said:
thanks, i guess... but lexico made me sound like a girl. :eek:kashii:
Sorry for talking like a Jewish mother. I wondered if you would accuse me for patronising-- and bingo, like minds work in parallel !

it's alrite dude... :)

lexico said:
Sorry for talking like a Jewish mother. I wondered if you would accuse me for patronising-- and bingo, like minds work in parallel !
Oh vey! You make me worry about what you are doing. You never post your poor mother and to think of the pain I suffered for you. :D

LOL! You are just like a Jewish mother Lexico! :D

Anyway, I suppose I should comment on the topic. I wouldn't have voted for Bush. That's it.

lexico said:
I meant no criticism of your post at all; just looking the sheer number of criticisms that Gohan has been getting got me a little concerned because 12 yrs of age can be an impressionalbe time for anyone. Just to ease the situation; not to soften your post to the point of trivializing it. I respect your principle of stating the basics of the English language for the sake of learning that the forum can, and should, foster. Thanks for taking pains to make your intention clear.

Yeah, I guess I should have just left it alone, but I wasn't all there when I posted that response. So, sorry if I did any harm. :bow::sorry:

lexico said:
Mike,
Ageism ! You just coined a new word ! :beer:
Now speaking of ageism; is Japan more ageist than other countries, or is it the other way around ? Are Japanese mothers/school teachers more forgiving ? Or less strict in teaching and enforcing the basic rules of proper language ?

Actually, that word has been in existence for a while from what I can remember.

Merriam-Webster's Online dictionary said:
Main Entry: age·ism
Variant(s): also ag·ism /'A-(")ji-z&m/
Function: noun
: prejudice or discrimination against a particular age-group and especially the elderly
- age·ist also ag·ist /-jist/ adjective

This thread has been viewed 4260 times.

Back