Court Rules U.S. Can Indefinitely Detain Citizens

Ghost

'cuse I can!
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Im a mutt
President can indefinitely detain US citizens

A federal appeals court ruled today that the president can indefinitely detain a U.S. citizen captured on U.S. soil in the absence of criminal charges, holding that such authority is vital to protect the nation from terrorist attacks.

The decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit came in the case of Jose Padilla, a former Chicago gang member who was arrested in Chicago in 2002 and designated an "enemy combatant" by President Bush. The government contends that Padilla trained at al Qaeda camps and was planning to blow up apartment buildings in the United States.

Padilla, a U.S. citizen, has been held without trial in a U.S. naval brig for more than three years, and his case triggered a legal battle with vast implications for civil liberties and the fight against terrorism.

Attorneys for Padilla and a host of civil liberties organizations blasted the detention as illegal and said it could lead to the military being allowed to hold anyone, from protesters to people who check out what the government considers the wrong books from the library.

Federal prosecutors asserted that Bush not only had the authority to order Padilla's detention but that such power is essential to preventing attacks. In its ruling today, the 4th Circuit overturned a lower court and came down squarely on the government's side.

A congressional resolution after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks "provided the President all powers necessary and appropriate to protect American citizens from terrorist attacks by those who attacked the United States on Sept. 11,'' the decision said. "Those powers include the power to detain identified and committed enemies such as Padilla, who associated with al Qaeda and the Taliban regime, who took up arms against this Nation in its war against these enemies, and who entered the United States for the avowed purpose of further prosecuting that war by attacking American citizens.''

The decision by a three-judge panel was written by Judge J. Michael Luttig, who is one of a number of people under consideration by President Bush for nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court.

I suppose someone will come along and reassure me that this is nothing to worry about. Far be it for me to worry, but does this worry anyone else? The country is starting to look like a Star Wars movie or something...

Ghost said:
I suppose someone will come along and reassure me that this is nothing to worry about. Far be it for me to worry, but does this worry anyone else? The country is starting to look like a Star Wars movie or something...
"Yes Lord Vader.. I mean Condeleeza." :D
I think you might want to change the words in your national anthem from
"...And the land of the free."
to
"...And the land of the State controlled masses who will be stamped down upon any chance we get" It doesn't scan as well, so they might just change it to the imperial march out of Star Wars
Hopefully it will just turn out to be a storm in a tea-cup

that's so f***ed up, I can't beleive America is turnin like this. they are givin in to what the terrorists were amining at. Hopefully the Supreme Court will over rule this decision. What's happenin to the american democracy :mad: :?

Interesting how everyone is quick to blame Bush and the courts.....while ignoring the idiots in Congress who worded the law.

Congress signed a blank check, people.

http://news.findlaw.com/wp/docs/padilla/padillabush60902det.pdf

http://news.findlaw.com/wp/docs/terrorism/sjres23.es.html
The United States Congress said:
SEC. 2. AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES.

(a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

Also, OP, there's really not much point in posting a link and then doing a copy-n-paste of the entire article immediately below it. And if you are going to copy-n-paste other's words, please give some clear indication where their words end and your own begin.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 365 times.

Back