Dacian Language

The words in common with Romanian and Slavic are Slavic loanwords. Sometimes Romanian loanwords into Slavic languages. Romanian is a Latin language. Languages spoken next to each other tend to resemble in pronunciation. I can take Basque and Spanish for example, they sound similar, yet Basque is not IE at all.

This is common knowledge among linguists (specialized in Albanian and/or Romanian), but ok. Let's take the example sorra ~ cioara.

1) Albanian 'sorra' derived from PIE *kwers-no meaning 'black'
2) From that evolved to *kwersna because languages evolve. This is a very early stage of Albanian, before the Romans entered the Balkans for the first time.
3) To keep it short, it kept evolving. k was palatalized (*k'swerna) then transformed into ts so we have the form *tswersna. After that it became *tšarsna and later *tšorna. Centuries have passed evolving, Romans have already conquered the Balkans. Note how the middle vowel evolves. This is an evolution attested written in Mysa, the transformation of IE long *e>e>a>o. See for example the evolution of *dhewa>*deva>dava>dova.
4) We know from Latin loanwords *rn>*rr in Albanian, example furnus>furra. /rr/ in Albanian is the same as Spanish /rr/, different from /r/, just FYI. Thus , we also know *tšorna became *tšorra. /tš/ is pronounced like Romanian /ci/
5) Thus *tšorra was loaned into Romanian as *tšora. Romanian did not differentiated between the two different r sounds Albanian had. This was circa 600 AD.
6) The Romanian form evolved into cioara, while the Albanian form into sorra. Romanian evolution of the middle vowel o>oa it's normal. For example Latin porta became Romanian poarta and so on. So is the Albanian evolution into s.

Even though the word was borrowed circa 600 AD, it doesn't mean this is when they first had contact. Romanian and Albanian have been neighbourinos up to at least 600AD.

Now, Romanian is a Latin language and would have not existed in the Balkans had the Romans not brought it. Latin entered the territory today known as Romania in 2nd century, maybe earlier due to trade not military conquering. So let's call this the time Romanian started existing as a languages (although technically it's the circa 5th century when Romanian kinds became a distinct language). From 2nd cetury to at least 7th has had contacts with Albanians, meaning 5 centuries. Or much less if you consider the origin of Romanian as a distinct language in the 5th century. This is when Romanian scholars consider it.

Politics and special cases aside, this is how languages born. There's a mother language, dialects are born in this language. Those dialects evolve and become so different, new languages are born and the cycle goes on. Some die in the process. By politics aside I meant languages like the case of China: it's obvious to linguists there's a shitton of different languages spoken derived from Mother Chinese, yet China refuses to call them different languages and considers them dialects. Another example is the one language called Serbo-Croatian which is called Croatian in Croatia, Serbian in Serbia, Bosnian in Bosnia despite they even use the same dialect as standard. By special cases meant something like the Nicaraguan sign language (can that one have dialects?).

Albanian language (thus the people who speak it as well) were under Latin influence for a long time but did not became Latin speakers. Pretty much everyone under the Roman Empire did though. It happened.

Romanians,as grammar,is not a Latin language.
Go and study for example about post-fixed definite article,in Romanian.
The only language similar in the are is South Slavic Macedonian language,from this point of view.
Or study about how Romanians are putting the adjective after the substantive which is not found in Latin,neither in any Romance language from today and is neither found in any Balkanic language.
The grammar of Romanian got some unique features in the Indo-European languages.
The theory that Romanians are descendants of Latins/colonists that Roman Empire brought here is first denied very strongly by genetics and after,is denied by the structure and sonority of the language.
I do not agree with the theory that all Romance languages evolved from Latin.
I do not hear any theory which says that for example all Germanic languages evolved from some Germanic tribe language,but I do hear that Germanic language evolved from a proto-Germanic language.
So I think that it existed some kind of proto-Romance language which was spoken across large areas in Europe and this language evolved in Latin,old French,Old Romanian etc ,in various places.
Latin was not preserved,not even in Italy,near Rome.
So coming back to Dacian,I think Dacians were invaders,over the population of Romania,which was speaking some kind of Romance language,but not Latin.

The Romanian-Albanian Connection A good amount of the non-Latin features present in Romanian language have their correspondence in Albanian, not only concerning lexicon but also structure, phraseology and idioms. These characteristics belong to two linguistic periods: the substratum, that is the language spoken by the Vlach before their Romanization ‒which may be the same of Albanian or a similar language‒, and the subsequent close contact between both peoples throughout a long period, mainly regarding their common life-style as shepherds.
Since the controversy about the origin of Albanians is presented by two main theories, one proposing the Illyrian stem and the other the Thracian stem, the advocates of the Daco-Roman myth vehemently support the second possibility, as they cannot deny the strong links between the Vlach and the Albanian peoples in early times. It is not our task to discuss about the origin of Albanians here, and in any case it is irrelevant whether one or the other theory is the right one, because the whole complex of proofs point out in a definitive manner to the area of present-day Albania and surrounding territory as the birthplace of the early Romanians and not the eastern side of the Balkans ‒ even if the Albanians would not be autochthonous but coming from any other place, it is in the area they live today where both peoples met and not elsewhere. A further factor is that there is not any historical record attesting any hypothetic migration of Albanians from Dacia (and there is not any vestige of their presence in that land), while there are many documents proving that the Vlach people lived since the early centuries by the southern Adriatic coastland ‒even before the Roman occupation of Dacia!‒ and as a matter of fact, there are still historic Romanian communities (Aromanians) living there.
Linguistic research has determined that most of the words shared by Romanian and Albanian are not loans from one tongue to the other but have a common origin in the substratum, before than these two languages began to be distinguished from each other. Romanian terms that are similar to Albanian mainly regard primary elements like body parts, names of animals and plants, and words specifically related with the pastoral life. It is significant that such vocabulary in Romanian is not found in Slavic or any other language spoken in the Balkans but only in Albanian. Another interesting fact concerns the very name of the capital city of Romania: Bucureşti, a word that is similar to the Albanian term "bukurisht", having the same meaning.
While the Vlach people were thoroughly Latinized, Albanian language has also received the influence of Latin since early times. A common territory and life-style shared by both peoples have produced the same semantic changes in both languages: a considerable number of Latin terms have undergone identical changes of meaning without parallel in any other tongue, and they cannot have happened just by chance or by any logical reason except because both peoples were living in a common environment and in the same territory.
Among the unusual features present in Romanian that are explainable by a comparison with Albanian we find also the definite article, that in Classic Latin precedes the noun but is enclitic in Romanian and follows the same patterns as in Albanian, and the personal pronoun in accusative case, that contains the suffix ~ne, exactly like in Albanian.
http://www.imninalu.net/myths-Vlach.htm

Romanians,as grammar,is not a Latin language.
Go and study for example about post-fixed definite article,in Romanian.
The only language similar in the are is South Slavic Macedonian language,from this point of view.
Or study about how Romanians are putting the adjective after the substantive which is not found in Latin,neither in any Romance language from today and is neither found in any Balkanic language.
The grammar of Romanian got some unique features in the Indo-European languages.
The theory that Romanians are descendants of Latins/colonists that Roman Empire brought here is first denied very strongly by genetics and after,is denied by the structure and sonority of the language.
I do not agree with the theory that all Romance languages evolved from Latin.
I do not hear any theory which says that for example all Germanic languages evolved from some Germanic tribe language,but I do hear that Germanic language evolved from a proto-Germanic language.
So I think that it existed some kind of proto-Romance language which was spoken across large areas in Europe and this language evolved in Latin,old French,Old Romanian etc ,in various places.
Latin was not preserved,not even in Italy,near Rome.
So coming back to Dacian,I think Dacians were invaders,over the population of Romania,which was speaking some kind of Romance language,but not Latin.

Wishful thinking. Romanian is a Latin language, but also part of the Balkan Sprachbund. That means it's influenced grammatically by other Balkan languages. In particular the article you're talking about is of Albanian origin as other Slavic languages don't have it. Polish doesn't have articles for example. It's not a Slavic trait. It's Albanian the point of origin of that article. That's why not all Slavic languages have it.

Albanian too puts the adjective after the noun. That's the Balkan Sprachbund. Greek is part of it too, it doesn't mean Romanian is a Hellenic language. http://books.google.com/books?id=3m...=onepage&q=romanian albanian article&f=false

I don't care about genetics, I'm talking about linguistics. Languages spread faster than people. This is how many of them dies as well.

So much for your theory. The language you talk about is Vulgar Latin, also common knowledge. Yes, Latin was not preserved. That's why I meant by evolved in many daughter languages. It evolved. It did not stay the same.

Yeah, Dacians were not Latin speakers at all. They precede the Latins in the Balkans for sure, this is how they were documented by the Ancient Greeks. And the Ancient Greeks make sure to explain they're not Latin people.

Linguistic research has determined that most of the words shared by Romanian and Albanian are not loans from one tongue to the other but have a common origin in the substratum, before than these two languages began to be distinguished from each other.
http://www.imninalu.net/myths-Vlach.htm
Some of them are not loans, I gave the example of modhulla 'pea'. The rest are. They're obviously borrowed from a Dark Age stage of Albanian instead of having followed their own evolution from that Proto-Langauge. Modhulla is an example of having followed an independent evolution from the Proto-Language. Sorra is not. Cioara in Romanian is borrowed. So are the rest of the examples given by the original comment.

I have not said that the postfixed article is Slavic in origin,I said is also present in same form at the language spoken by South Slavic people called Macedonians.
I also said that Romanian language is Romance but not born from Latin.
And I hardly doubt that putting adjective after substantive is something taken from Albanian,in Romanian,or from Dacian,I think most people in Balkans where some kind of Italic related people,which were conquered/culturally assimilated by Satem speakers (Albanian speakers and Slavic speakers).
And these traits of their language,like postfixed article,adjective after noun and others were retained in various South Slavic dialects and in Albanian.
You can see that Aromanians/Vlachs are present everywhere South of Danube,lots being in Albania,ex-Yugoslavia and so on.
These people I think are remnants of old Italic-related population,who did not got assimilated as language,or as culture,by the Satem speaking people who conquered the area (Dacians and their allies).
I do not agree with these theories and from what I know most Romanians/ Romanian scientists do not agree either.
So,I do not think Dacian language has most influence of Romanian ,neither Latin,neither Slavic.
Since this topic is about Dacian language,the possibility that Dacians were rather speaking something closed to South Slavic should be taken into consideration also.
Anyway,I think is quite clear that Dacians were speaking a Satem language.

I have not said that the postfixed article is Slavic in origin,I said is also present in same form at the language spoken by South Slavic people called Macedonians.
Albanian is the origin though, spread due to the Balkan sprachbund.

I also said that Romanian language is Romance but not born from Latin.

Maybe you mean Classical Latin vs Vulgar Latin? Classical Latin was the standard language, the one that was supposed to be spoken but not the one common people spoke. People spoke Vulgar Latin and that's the one that Romance languages today have evolved from.

And I hardly doubt that putting adjective after substantive is something taken from Albanian,in Romanian,or from Dacian,I think most people in Balkans where some kind of Italic related people,which were conquered/culturally assimilated by Satem speakers (Albanian speakers and Slavic speakers).

It is Albanian. That's the consensus.

And these traits of their language,like postfixed article,adjective after noun and others were retained in various South Slavic dialects and in Albanian.

Retained? They were not part of Slavic, see Polish, see Russian. Albanian has a different grammar structure.

You can see that Aromanians/Vlachs are present everywhere South of Danube,lots being in Albania,ex-Yugoslavia and so on.
Yes, being a nomad was common in the Dark Ages. Vlachs were nomads too. Would you think they would have lots of Greek loanwords pre-migration if they originated in that part of the Roman Empire? Not later loanwords. The ones in ex-Yugoslavia live in the border with Romania. They did not spread far. Beside, before the Migration most of ex-Yugo spoke Latin (e.g Dalmatian). There are still Romance languages spoken in Croatia, related closely to Italian, or Romanian, depending on who they're closer to.

These people I think are remnants of old Italic-related population,who did not got assimilated as language,or as culture,by the Satem speaking people who conquered the area (Dacians and their allies).

Italic populations did not originate from the Balkans. The language spread with the Roman Empire. Slavs were among the many people who migrated to the Balkans during the Migration Period, but for some reason became the majority of speakers in Eastern Europe, overtaking Baltic and Iranic languages' dominance. Albanian were people who originated in the Balkans, who were not Latinzed, not Slavicized, and not Hellenized.

I do not agree with these theories and from what I know most Romanians/ Romanian scientists do not agree either.
So,I do not think Dacian language has most influence of Romanian ,neither Latin,neither Slavic.
Since this topic is about Dacian language,the possibility that Dacians were rather speaking something closed to South Slavic should be taken into consideration also.
Anyway,I think is quite clear that Dacians were speaking a Satem language.

South Slavic? No. That language was not spoken in the Balkans before the Migration, Dacian was. Or right after the Migration, The Balkans were separated in two linguistic spheres of influence, Hellenic and Latin, with Albanian in the Latin side. If the South Slavic ancestor was spoken in the Balkans pre Migration, it would have loanwords from this time, either from Greek or from Latin because they were very influential (Jirecek line)

Dacians were indeed Satem, and so is Balto-Slavic (with some complications) and Albanian (also complicated but differently). But Indo-European is not separated in two branches Satem and Centum. Let's take a simple example. There's Greek which is Centum and Armenian which is Satem. They're often hypothezised to originate from the same ancestor language Graeco-Armenian. What was Graeco-Armenian then, Satem or Centum? The point is, don't focus too much on Centum/Satem. It matters, but nowhere near as much as you make it. They're not branches of Indo-European.

It is not our task to discuss about the origin of Albanians here, and in any case it is irrelevant whether one or the other theory is the right one, because the whole complex of proofs point out in a definitive manner to the area of present-day Albania and surrounding territory as the birthplace of the early Romanians and not the eastern side of the Balkans ‒ even if the Albanians would not be autochthonous but coming from any other place, it is in the area they live today where both peoples met and not elsewhere.

There were no Albanians in Roman empire. We have no proof of that.

It is equally possible that Albanians came to Bulgaria just 1000 years ago (just as same as the Slavs did 400 years before that).
Then, after Turkish invasion, they fled away (just as same as Slavs did).
Blocked by Slavs at NW they take 2 routes and end up in Romania (Northern branch) and in Albania (Western branch), where they linguistically assimilate remnants of local population (just as same as Slavs did).

There were no Albanians in Roman empire. We have no proof of that.

It is equally possible that Albanians came to Bulgaria just 1000 years ago (just as same as the Slavs did 400 years before that).
Then, after Turkish invasion, they fled away (just as same as Slavs did).
Blocked by Slavs at NW they take 2 routes and end up in Romania (Northern branch) and in Albania (Western branch), where they linguistically assimilate remnants of local population (just as same as Slavs did).

[h=3]Ancient & early medieval references to people of unknown ethnicity[edit][/h]Main article: Albania (name)

• In the 2nd century BC, the History of the World written by Polybius, mentions a location named Arbon[16] or Arbo[17] (Greek: Άρβωνα)[18] that was perhaps an island[19] in Liburnia or another location within Illyria. Stephanus of Byzantium, centuries later, cites Polybius, saying it was a city in Illyria and gives an ethnic name (see below) for its inhabitants. Most likely it is the Croatian island of Rab.

• In the 2nd century AD, Ptolemy, the geographer and astronomer from Alexandria, drafted a map that shows the city of Albanopolis (located Northeast of Durrës). Ptolemy also mentions the Illyrian tribe named Albanoi,[20] who lived around this city.

Ancient & early medieval references to people of unknown ethnicity

;)

In the 2nd century BC, the History of the World written by Polybius, mentions a location named Arbon[16] or Arbo[17] (Greek: Άρβωνα)[18] that was perhaps an island[19] in Liburnia or another location within Illyria. Stephanus of Byzantium, centuries later, cites Polybius, saying it was a city in Illyria and gives an ethnic name (see below) for its inhabitants. Most likely it is the Croatian island of Rab.

They can't even settle about it's location.

In the 2nd century AD, Ptolemy, the geographer and astronomer from Alexandria, drafted a map that shows the city of Albanopolis (located Northeast of Durrës). Ptolemy also mentions the Illyrian tribe named Albanoi,[20] who lived around this city.
Albanoi were just one among hundreds of tribes that lived on Balkans (speculated of Celtic origin). And Albanians don't call themselves like that...

In the 6th century AD, Stephanus of Byzantium, in his important geographical dictionary entitled Ethnica (Εθνικά),[21] mentions a city in Illyria called Arbon (Greek: Αρβών), with its inhabitants called Arbonios (Greek: Αρβώνιος) and Arbonites (Greek: Αρβωνίτης). He cites Polybius[21] (he does so many[22][23] times in ethnica).

Again, Albanians is what we named that geographic location.

Ancient & early medieval references to people of unknown ethnicity[edit]

Main article: Albania (name)

• In the 2nd century BC, the History of the World written by Polybius, mentions a location named Arbon[16] or Arbo[17] (Greek: Άρβωνα)[18] that was perhaps an island[19] in Liburnia or another location within Illyria. Stephanus of Byzantium, centuries later, cites Polybius, saying it was a city in Illyria and gives an ethnic name (see below) for its inhabitants. Most likely it is the Croatian island of Rab.

Polybius means that the Illyrian liburnians has the island of Corfu as arbo . These Liburnians had this island from 750BC. They where eventually displaced centuries later by Corinthian greeks

The Liburnians' skillful seamanship allowed them to hold navigable routes along the eastern Adriatic coast with strategic points, such as the islands of Hvar and Lastovo in the central Adriatic and Corfu (8th century BC) in the Ionian Sea, while they already had colonies at the western Adriatic coast, especially in region of Picenum, from the beginning of the Iron Age.

• In the 2nd century AD, Ptolemy, the geographer and astronomer from Alexandria, drafted a map that shows the city of Albanopolis (located Northeast of Durrës). Ptolemy also mentions the Illyrian tribe named Albanoi,[20] who lived around this city.

No other Roman historian mentions this fabricated tribe..........since the Romans where mining in modern Albania , why do you think nothing was ever written by about the term illyrian albanoi , nothing in any texts by any governor, surveyor or military outpost .............because it was fabricated by Ptolemy, he most likely wanted to refer to some type of geography and attached a city/tribe to it

The Romans established numerous military camps and colonies and completely latinized the coastal cities. They also oversaw the construction of aqueducts and roads, including the Via Egnatia, a famous military highway and trade route that led from Durrës through the Shkumbin River valley to Macedonia and Byzantium (later Constantinople)

. Copper, asphalt, and silver were extracted from the mountains. The main exports were wine, cheese, oil, and fish from Lake Scutari and Lake Ohrid. Imports included tools, metalware, luxury goods, and other manufactured articles. Apollonia became a cultural center, and Julius Caesar himself sent his nephew, later the Emperor Augustus, to study there.

All these works in the area in question and no mention of albanoi ..........why is that!

Albanopolis (Albanian: Albanopoli, Greek,"Ἀλβανόπολις")[1] was a city in ancient Roman Macedon specifically in Epirus Nova, the city of the Albanoi, an Illyrian tribe. The editors of the Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World locate Albanopolis at the modern-day village of Zgërdhesh, near Krujë, Albania.[2][3] It is not certain if the ancient city corresponds with later mentions of the settlement called Arbanon during the Middle Ages.[4] The city appears at 150 AD almost 300 years after Roman conquest of the region. .......Why did it only appear after 300 years of Roman occupation?

The Illyrians were Indo-European tribesmen who appeared in the western part of the Balkan Peninsula about 1000 B.C., a period coinciding with the end of the Bronze Age and beginning of the Iron Age. They inhabited much of the area for at least the next millennium. Archaeologists associate the Illyrians with the Hallstatt culture, an Iron Age people noted for production of iron and bronze swords with winged-shaped handles and for domestication of horses. The Illyrians occupied lands extending from the Danube, Sava, and Morava rivers to the Adriatic Sea and the Sar Mountains.

Of course there's proof Albanians were part of the Roman empire. It's linguistics, it' a science. You just choose to ignore it because of the bias. The language influences puts Albanian in the Roman Empire, not out of, specifically in the Latin part of it, not the Hellenic. Albanian languages shows it has had contact with Latin for a long time, it cannot be one of the tribes that migrated from outside. Whatever the name used before 'Albanian' doesn't matter in this proof. The only think that matters is Albanians were part of the Roman Empire, Albanians originate in the Balkans, and that's the one thing all linguists agree on.

From Georg Stadtmüller, and pretty much whoever studies Albanian will mention this:
The primary event in the early history of the Albanian people was the major transformation they underwent when the pre-Albanian tribes were partially Romanised under the enormous influence of imperial Roman culture and of the language of imperial Rome. It was at this time that the diverse Albanian tribes first became a people and managed to preserve their language in the tidal wave of Romanisation that engulfed all the other ancient Balkan languages.

Jernej Kopitar was the first linguist to note this, now it's accepted among historians as well.

Of course there's proof Albanians were part of the Roman empire. It's linguistics, it' a science. You just choose to ignore it because of the bias. The language influences puts Albanian in the Roman Empire, not out of, specifically in the Latin part of it, not the Hellenic. Albanian languages shows it has had contact with Latin for a long time, it cannot be one of the tribes that migrated from outside. Whatever the name used before 'Albanian' doesn't matter in this proof. The only think that matters is Albanians were part of the Roman Empire, Albanians originate in the Balkans, and that's the one thing all linguists agree on.

From Georg Stadtmüller, and pretty much whoever studies Albanian will mention this:

Jernej Kopitar was the first linguist to note this, now it's accepted among historians as well.

link this proof.........I never seen it.............never seen any documentation in regards from governors, generals or senators

Latin words where picked up in iberia, north-africa, middle-east , there was even some latin spoken in Scandinavia and romans where never there , there are many many places........basing roman linguistics for the albanian language is no proof

EDIT : I looked on this link and cannot find anything to do with albanoi or the city.........which is it.
The link has ALL ptolemy geographical areas
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Periods/Roman/_Texts/Ptolemy/place_index*/A.html

Last edited:
Of course there's proof Albanians were part of the Roman empire. It's linguistics, it' a science.
Linguistic proof? There are some facts, but they are no good as the only proofs.

You just choose to ignore it because of the bias.
Or you're the one with the bias? Although we have no conclusive proof of Albanian language origin, or their ethnicity. Although their language is 90% Latinized, Hellenized and Slavicized you push national-romantic statements such as:

"Albanian were people who originated in the Balkans, who were not Latinzed, not Slavicized, and not Hellenized."

The language influences puts Albanian in the Roman Empire, not out of, specifically in the Latin part of it, not the Hellenic.
The same goes for Mayas in America. They also have language influences from Latin. If they were to come to Iceland one day, would that mean that they are indigenous Icelanders?

Albanian languages shows it has had contact with Latin for a long time, it cannot be one of the tribes that migrated from outside.
Why not? They may have inhabited Italy in the period when Latin language was formed... Just as possible as any other theory without proofs.

Whatever the name used before 'Albanian' doesn't matter in this proof.
Of course it matters. It would be a good thing if we found ancient scripts telling about Schiptaroi, but we don't have them by now.

The only think that matters is Albanians were part of the Roman Empire, Albanians originate in the Balkans, and that's the one thing all linguists agree on.
Linguistics can only agree on Albanian language, not Albanians. And they don't agree that Albanian language originated in Balkans. They have no proof where it was 3000 years ago, whether it was satem or centum, whether it was IE or not...

The same goes for Mayas in America. They also have language influences from Latin. If they were to come to Iceland one day, would that mean that they are indigenous Icelanders?

Latin has evolved as a language. Latinos picked up Latin influence from Spanish and Portugese explorers. Up in Quebec, French mixed with natives for the fur trade. The Latin influences Albanian shows are pre-Spanish, pre-Portugese, pre-French, pre-these Romance diversions. Jerinej Kopitar says Albanian Latin influence is from the Augustus era. Russian linguist Vladimir Orel puts a timeline at I century when Albanian became part of Latin sphere.

It's well accepted, but again just because you don't like it, doesn't mean is not enough. It's as conclusive as it gets. It's a closed chapter.

None of them disagrees on the Balkan origin of Albanains. It's no national agenda, it's a fact that's accepted and there's nothing you can do about it except accept it as well. Any other theory on the origin of Albanians has been long rejected by actual scholars. Internet cockroaches still push their anti-Albanian agenda though.

This is a vital book on understanding Albanian

http://books.google.com/books/about/A_Concise_Historical_Grammar_of_the_Alba.html?id=xvKH56aT5mEC

Don't worry Albanian is no where near 90% not-Albanian. The core traits haven't been changed.

Also here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=MFWOYUHULgsC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=jernej+kopitar+albanian&source=bl&ots=ZTyjZj3elW&sig=NLd4hRpF5B2NJCfZdBpxA8k6mG0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=tJC3U62gFNGHyASIv4CoCw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwBTgU#v=snippet&q=Once%20it%20became%20clear%20that%20Albanian%20was%20an%20independent&f=false

Once it became clear Albanian was an independent Indo-European language and autochthonous to the Balkans since antiquity...

That's a conclusion. Everything else is are theories. That's what all scholars agree.

"Unbelievable" you haven't heard of it. That means it's not true right?

Of course it matters. It would be a good thing if we found ancient scripts telling about Schiptaroi, but we don't have them by now.

Names change over time. People get known by different names. Shqiptar became used in the 17th century, before that Arben was used. The people lived in Arbanon. Basic things. That's how all referred to Albanians. That's how Arberesh still refer to themselves.

Linguistics can only agree on Albanian language, not Albanians. And they don't agree that Albanian language originated in Balkans. They have no proof where it was 3000 years ago, whether it was satem or centum, whether it was IE or not...

Yes they do. Yes it's IE. Satemizetion is complex because it might have happened as late as the Middle Ages in case of Albanian. It's interesting how you separate Albanian people from Albanian language, by that I mean completely idiotic.

Why not? They may have inhabited Italy in the period when Latin language was formed... Just as possible as any other theory without proofs.

Except is not Latin of Italian kind. It's pre diversion of Latin in several daughter languages There's plenty of Romance languages in Italy though, not just Standard Italian. And even after diversion, it's closer to Dalmatian and Romanian.

Although their language is 90% Latinized, Hellenized and Slavicized you push national-romantic statements such as:

"Albanian were people who originated in the Balkans, who were not Latinzed, not Slavicized, and not Hellenized."
I stand by it because it's has been proven. On the other hand "Although their language is 90% Latinized, Hellenized and Slavicized" has never been mentioned in the first place. Perhaps you read something about being in contact with Latin people, Hellenic people, Slavic people for 90% of the history and misunderstood it?

Latin has evolved as a language. Latinos picked up Latin influence from Spanish and Portugese explorers. Up in Quebec, French mixed with natives for the fur trade. The Latin influences Albanian shows are pre-Spanish, pre-Portugese, pre-French, pre-these Romance diversions. Jerinej Kopitar says Albanian Latin influence is from the Augustus era. Russian linguist Vladimir Orel puts a timeline at I century when Albanian became part of Latin sphere.

Yeah, I know there are some words from that era in Albanian language. I just wonder, if we know that Latin was not vastly used in 1000 BC, and you claim that Albanians were always there speaking the same language, why didn't you propose more logical theory that Romans borrowed those words from Albanian? It fits your theory better.

Anyways, since we have no proof of Albanian continuity, I will propose another theory. When Albanians came to Balkans, the indigenous people who lived in the mountains and spoke some form of Thracian language that included terms from Augustus Latin were not Albanized throughly.

It's well accepted, but again just because you don't like it, doesn't mean is not enough. It's as conclusive as it gets. It's a closed chapter.
Interesting how open minded you are. Kopitar says something 200 years ago, and it's now closed chapter in 21st century. Since when is Kopitar expert for Albanian or Latin, anyways?

None of them disagrees on the Balkan origin of Albanains. It's no national agenda, it's a fact that's accepted and there's nothing you can do about it except accept it as well. Any other theory on the origin of Albanians has been long rejected by actual scholars. Internet cockroaches still push their anti-Albanian agenda though.
All I see is Albanians pushing all possible theories from Illyrian, Dardanian, Thracian, Pelasgian, Dacian and Macedonian continuity. Even in their school books. With no evidence. That alone says a lot ....Macedonian

"Once it became clear Albanian was an independent Indo-European language and autochthonous to the Balkans since antiquity..."
Nice theory. So, in the same period Illyrians spoke pre-IE language, but Albanians who lived there spoke IE language, and all before arrival of IE into Europe? This is your proof? Autochthonous Balkan Albanian IE language?! Shouldn't that mean that all IE languages stem from Balkans?

OMG, now I see my reply to your your first quote... so that is where you're taking this. That the Romans really did borrow those terms from Albanian, and not the other way around, and that Albanians WERE the first IE people. Do you also thinks there is striking similarity between a(r)banian and aryan?

Dusko Doder: There Is No More Yugoslavia

Actually, it's a funny fact that according to international law, Yugoslavia still exists.
Anyways, all that has probably got nothing to do with Dacian language, cause there is no evidence pointing that South Slavs were in that area at the that time.

Yeah, I know there are some words from that era in Albanian language. I just wonder, if we know that Latin was not vastly used in 1000 BC, and you claim that Albanians were always there speaking the same language, why didn't you propose more logical theory that Romans borrowed those words from Albanian? It fits your theory better.

Latin evolved alongide Albanian. They have been in continuous contact. They've evolved together. And why do you fabricate what I've said? When have I ever claimed such thing? When have they ever been my theories when I clearly posted links and quotes.

Anyways, since we have no proof of Albanian continuity, I will propose another theory. When Albanians came to Balkans, the indigenous people who lived in the mountains and spoke some form of Thracian language that included terms from Augustus Latin were not Albanized throughly.

I posted the proof, you choose to ignore it for no reason other than didn't like it. It's called cherrypicking.

As for the rest of your hypothesis, don't call it theory, it's not a theory, it can esly be disproved by genetics.

Something posted here in Eupedia before and you made a mess in :
This suggests that a reasonable proportion of the ancestors of modern-day Albanian speakers (at least those represented in POPRES) are drawn from a relatively small, cohesive population that has persisted for at least the last 1,500 years.
http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pbio.1001555

Also:
Computing the frequency of common point mutations of the present-day European population with the Thracian population has resulted that the Italian (7.9%), the Albanian (6.3%) and the Greek (5.8%) have shown a bias of closer genetic kinship with the Thracian individuals than the Romanian and Bulgarian individuals (only 4.2%)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/326027/Paleo-mtDNA-analysis-and-population-genetic-aspects-of-old-Thracian-populations-from-South-East-of-Romania

Interesting how open minded you are. Kopitar says something 200 years ago, and it's now closed chapter in 21st century. Since when is Kopitar expert for Albanian or Latin, anyways?

The source I gave It was published in 2000, written by Russian linguist Vladimir Orel. Kopitar was simply the first to noticed it and has been proven since then. 200 years since proven and fringe theories still persist. But Orel's books the first thing a linguist should read for understanding Albanian. And you don't devalue a scientist's work just because it's old. Newton wrote on the theory of gravity 400 years ago, we still use it today. This is what's good about sciences, there's fixed rules to abide to and linguistics is a science too. History is not a science though. Every day new things are discovered some of them disprove earlier assumptions and the entire scholarship changes.

In History just because something cannot be found, it doesn't mean it doesn't has never existed. It means it has not been found. In order to fill gaps, History always relies in other sciences. For example, historians have needed the help of geologists to understand what caused the Bronze Age collpase. It was a volcano in Thera (Santorino). Just because they didn't see the explosion or had documets of it, it doesn't mean it's refusable. It's a fact they don't need documents to accept it. It's accepted because science says so. Linguistics too is a science.

All I see is Albanians pushing all possible theories from Illyrian, Dardanian, Thracian, Pelasgian, Dacian and Macedonian continuity. Even in their school books. With no evidence. That alone says a lot ....Macedonian

This is the part wher linguists disagree and let me explain you why. Dacian, Thracian, "Illyrian", Dardanian are all people of the Balkans. Since it was proven Albanian was a langauge steming from the Balkans, theories started on finding out where. The problem is the Balkans was a melting pot of cultures, where borders did not exist.

Dardania is often referred to either Thracian , Illyrian or Thraco-Illyrian and later even a group of their own, because it's difficult to classify them. Illyrians lived in Dardania, and so did Thracians. And other minor tribes not belonging to either group.

So was Illyria. Once the term Illyria referred to pretty much the entire Western Balkans. now we know there's at least distincively different groups there and the term Illyrian generally now refers to those who lived in modern day Montenegro and Albania only, the southern most ones. The rest have different names. 1)"Propi Dictii" meaning proper Illyrians, (the Southern-most ones) 2)Delmetae 3)Liburni (Veneti) 4)Japodes 5)Pannonians (the northen most ones), numerous minor tribes unrelated to the big five, and Dacian colonies too. Different langauges, different people, one great territory.

Macedonian were an weird group as well. But at least we we know something more conclsuive about them. "Macedonia" it's an umbrella term for many tribes during the Argeads rule and the terriory corresponing to Maceonia has expanded and shrinked over time. Rulers of Macedonia though, lived in Lower Macedonia where there was a large Greek population alongside a large Thracian population.

Greeks from Greece (not a nation in Ancient times, just the comparable territory today) barely accepted the Macedonian rulers as Greeks, but they were accepted nevertheless. Lower Macedonia was populated by Greeks and Thracian mostly, while Upper Macedonia was a mess of people. Upper Macedonias did whatever they wanted despite being part of Lower Macedonia's rule. Lower Macedonia didn't care. I like this relationship, really.

You see why there are so many theories? Because the Balkans were not homongenous, the people were extrmely spread out and did not correspond tor Roman drawn territories.

Nice theory. So, in the same period Illyrians spoke pre-IE language, but Albanians who lived there spoke IE language, and all before arrival of IE into Europe? This is your proof? Autochthonous Balkan Albanian IE language?! Shouldn't that mean that all IE languages stem from Balkans?

That was a quote from the link I just gave. I gave the quote, hence it was in a quotebox, and then the link beside it. Here's the link again http://books.google.com/books?id=MF...lear that Albanian was an independent&f=false

It was not my theory, it was written by the author of the book, Olga Mišeska Tomić, a linguist specialized in the Balkan languages. It also talks about other langauges of the Balkans, it's a book about the Balkan sprachbund after all. Do not insult her hard work. Read it instead.

OMG, now I see my reply to your your first quote... so that is where you're taking this. That the Romans really did borrow those terms from Albanian, and not the other way around, and that Albanians WERE the first IE people. Do you also thinks there is striking similarity between a(r)banian and aryan?

Aryan means noble in Iranian, what does this have to with Arbania in the Middle Ages? Beside, Albanian /r/ or /l/ in /rj/ (/ry/ in this case) or /lj/ give /j/ in modern Albanian, not /b/. It appears in certain dialects after /m/ giving /mb/ and no other case. In other cases, it's voiced /p/. In no way goes from /rj/ to /rb/. There's no relation between Aryan and Arbanian.

Again just because you don't understand what I say, it doesn't make me wrong. I know it seems like you will appear smart by repeating arguments I have never made, purpously misinterpreting them as my conclusions because it makes it easier to attack me directly. And that's what you're doing. You're attacking me directly to make yourself seem smart instead and me dumb. It doesn't make you smart, it just means you're out of arguments against me but refuse to give up. You cherrypick whatever you want to make me seem cluless and unreliable and you're completely derialing the topic. Mentioning of Albanian langauge in a Dacian topic is neccesary, as the two have been theorized before of being related. Albanain language is not off topic in a Dacian thread.

You're wasting your time, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

This thread has been viewed 206741 times.

Back