DNAGenics Shared Modern Origins (Ethnicity Estimate?)

When I paid for the service to merge my 4 dna files on DNAGenics, the merged file had other features opened on the site. Under the ancestry tab there was this "Shared Modern Origins" feature. I'm assuming its basically DNAGenics' version of what's typically called an ethnicity estimate. It's split up into 3 calculations: conservative results, intermediate results and speculative results. I remember 23&Me having this feature with its estimate as well.
Here are my results with all three modes with my merged file. If you all have uploaded your dna file to DNAGenics share yours and maybe estimates from Ancestry or 23&Me. I want to see what you all get.

View attachment 15856

View attachment 15858

Speculative results. The note at the top is interesting.

View attachment 15859

The feature is due for an update sometime this year. We're 4 months into 2024. DNAGenics needs to make it snappy lol.
What's your ethnicity breakdown according to your big company DNA tests?

Ancestry:
1713189692670.png

23&Me V5:

1713189804144.png

Looks like the Shared Modern Conservative results are closer to your Ancestry breakdown and your Intermediate results closer to your 23&Me breakdown. However the overall similarities are rather broad. In particular the Shared Modern tends to minimise your Scottish and Irish.
I would recommend joining the official DNAGenics Facebook group (if you haven't already joined). It has a lot of interaction and the admin is usually very helpful to explain things as well as promptly address technical issues and accept feature requests etc.

Looks like the Shared Modern Conservative results are closer to your Ancestry breakdown and your Intermediate results closer to your 23&Me breakdown. However the overall similarities are rather broad. In particular the Shared Modern tends to minimise your Scottish and Irish.
I would recommend joining the official DNAGenics Facebook group (if you haven't already joined). It has a lot of interaction and the admin is usually very helpful to explain things as well as promptly address technical issues and accept feature requests etc.
I’ve seen the near eastern pop up in other calculators. And G25 with various sample lists used.

Here's my AncestryDNA results and my Shared Modern report using the same raw file.

AncestryDNA.png
Conservative.png
Intermediate.png
Speculative.png

Last edited:
Yes, the AncestryDNA test is mostly accurate, correctly pinpointing the regions of Ireland such as Munster province and Roscommon. The 7% Scottish is a bit of a mystery though as it appears on my paternal side in place of what should have been English (Southeast) according to my genealogy. On the other hand they allocated the 2% English to my maternal side where there is no known English ancestry. I think there's more room for error with the smaller ethnic components.

The DNAGenics Shared Modern Origins seems a bit more general in nature but I'm satisfied at least they gave me a substantial amount of Irish in all three reports. Understandably there is a lot of genetic overlap in Northwest European populations and they wouldn't have the amount of reference samples that Ancestry has.

Yeah the Speculative report is way too broad.

Did you test with 23&Me also?

Did you test with 23&Me also?
No. Only Ancestry at present as I think they are best for British Isles pops. As my ancestry is very homogenous I don't expect to find much more. I thought of getting a Y-DNA test with FTDNA (which is almost certain that I belong to R1b).

No. Only Ancestry at present as I think they are best for British Isles pops. As my ancestry is very homogenous I don't expect to find much more. I thought of getting a Y-DNA test with FTDNA (which is almost certain that I belong to R1b).
Do you have raw data? You can get basic haplogroup information from here for free: https://cladefinder.yseq.net/

Thanks, I don't recall seeing that site before. From my raw data I've only had a Y-predictor done by DNAGenics which says I'm R-M222, a lineage of R1b. It would be interesting to see if this other site concludes the same.
If you're R1b on DNAgenics, you'll be the same on cladefinder. DNAgenics assigned me my Y DNA haplogroup correctly. DNAgenics is only bad for G25, as it assigns you wrong coordinates (simulated) upon which it compares you to also archaic samples that are also assigned simulated coordinates

If you're R1b on DNAgenics, you'll be the same on cladefinder. DNAgenics assigned me my Y DNA haplogroup correctly. DNAgenics is only bad for G25, as it assigns you wrong coordinates (simulated) upon which it compares you to also archaic samples that are also assigned simulated coordinates
Check my previous remark earlier in this thread. DNAGenics G25 coords aren't simulated (as in converted from other formats like K13 etc). They aren't the official IllustrativeDNA/Davidski coords but they are generated directly from your raw DNA file. They refer to them as 'synthetic coordinates' to differentiate. The only stuff they use G25 for is in the G25 studio. All other reports from the Dashboard as well as their 'Exclusive Reports' use different methodologies and aren't based on G25. The company has explained all their different methods in the official Facebook group.

To be honest after experimenting a lot with G25 I find that for me personally different sets of coordinates work with different calculators and can also have quite contradictory behaviour at times. I've also compared with a lot of other people. Some say that DNAGenics coordinates and/or simulated sets of coordinates are more accurate than the official ones. Which highlights the problem with G25 – there's no standard protocol for getting correct calculations since everyone has a contradictory story regarding their preferences for coordinates, scaled vs unscaled, distance methods and resolutions etc.

Some of my most accurate G25 results which correlate with my AncestryDNA results and/or genealogy.

My genealogical calculation: 97% Irish, 3% English
AncestryDNA results: 91% Irish, 7% Scottish, 2% English

G25ModAveDNAG.png
G25ModIndIDNA.png

Celtibero ModEu K13sim Ire:GB.png
RegionalK13sim.png

Check my previous remark earlier in this thread. DNAGenics G25 coords aren't simulated (as in converted from other formats like K13 etc). They aren't the official IllustrativeDNA/Davidski coords but they are generated directly from your raw DNA file. They refer to them as 'synthetic coordinates' to differentiate. The only stuff they use G25 for is in the G25 studio. All other reports from the Dashboard as well as their 'Exclusive Reports' use different methodologies and aren't based on G25. The company has explained all their different methods in the official Facebook group.

To be honest after experimenting a lot with G25 I find that for me personally different sets of coordinates work with different calculators and can also have quite contradictory behaviour at times. I've also compared with a lot of other people. Some say that DNAGenics coordinates and/or simulated sets of coordinates are more accurate than the official ones. Which highlights the problem with G25 – there's no standard protocol for getting correct calculations since everyone has a contradictory story regarding their preferences for coordinates, scaled vs unscaled, distance methods and resolutions etc.

DNAgenics missed my recent origins greatly. It assigned me 65% Balkan + 35% North and Central Italy. It gave one of my parent 98% Balkan + 2% West Slavic (I guess that's ok), and other 55% North/Central Italian + 45% Slavic. They're both Serbs/Macedonians.

DNAgenics missed my recent origins greatly. It assigned me 65% Balkan + 35% North and Central Italy. It gave one of my parent 98% Balkan + 2% West Slavic (I guess that's ok), and other 55% North/Central Italian + 45% Slavic. They're both Serbs/Macedonians.
Are those the 'conservative results' for the Shared Modern Origins report?
For your parents' results, was that from their own raw data files or from a phased file?

Those results are quite consistent. I'm quite surprised, especially the Official Modern Averages keeping the same settings.

When using any of the G25 Official calculators I have to really tweak the settings extensively (I was upgraded to PRO for more functions) to get accurate results. Those other calculators by Celtibero and Supreeeme are amongst my favourites – I find them quite accurate even with default settings.

Are those the 'conservative results' for the Shared Modern Origins report?
For your parents' results, was that from their own raw data files or from a phased file?
Yes, all conservative results. I meant imputed results of my parents, they did not do DNA testing themselves.

This thread has been viewed 1425 times.

Back