Question Do haplogroup mutations usually just occur in only one, or a whole population of sperm cells inside the father's testes?

ElijahShell

Reaction score
I have been wondering about this for so long. Do those haplogroup mutations usually only occur in ONE of the father's sperm cells? So you can have two brothers in the same family carrying two different Y haplogroups, even if they are biological brothers by blood, both paternally and maternally in every way? For example, there was a man with haplogroup K2b who fathered the first man with haplogroups P on earth, but that P-F5850 mutation only affected a single particular sperm in his body, the other sperms he has don't carry this mutation, so even if he continues to have more sons they will all just be K2b, not P?

Also, when a new haplogroup appeared, what happened to the other sons who didn't have this mutation? Like according to WIKI haplogroup J and I are said to be both descended from haplogroup IJ, but there is no living human carrying the original haplogroup IJ, only I and J. Same for CF, DE, LT, NO, GHIJK, most of the world have their downstream subclades, but we can rarely find any living individuals carrying the upstream. What caused those old upstream carriers to have disappeared completely, if its younger subclade is usually very few in numbers when it first came out?

Good question. Someone could answer : "only in ONE" but I avow I don't know!

When the egg fertilizes, transcription errors occur and a SNP is born

When the egg fertilizes, transcription errors occur and a SNP is born
Thanks. That's interesting, because on Wiki it says the haplogroup mutation only happens in the sperms. Do you have any source for the studies about this?

This thread has been viewed 365 times.

Back