english idioms

don't look a gift horse in the mouth - when you get a present that you don't appreciate, don't complain, since it is a present!
origin: a horse's age can be deducted from the length of its teeth

My friend and I were talking about this a few weeks ago, that Australians and New Zealanders dont really use idioms as much as Americans and people from the UK. I disagreed at first, thinking that I always say them, but then he proceeded to mention that he had never heard me use one. I tried to give him some examples, but yeah I too was stumped as to when I would use them. Of course I know what they mean, but I guess I just find other things to say? Strange... I thought it was a part of my everyday conversation. Seems I just curse and use profanity instead....
My boyfriend always liked to play with words, and bust out some strange old idioms, that we just dont use in everyday conversation in NZ... I would laugh and ask where he got them from. He just likes to think he's super intelligent and that I just had no idea. Typical. English isnt even his first language and he thinks he's better
use

Australians do use idioms, but they're not well understood by foreigners.
  • Smelly as a dead dingos bum.
  • Just how much can a Koala Bear? (How much can one tolerate?)
  • Beyond the Black Stump. (The Black Stump being the most remote place imaginable.)
  • If that aint out I'm not playing.(When someone farts).

Too many more to list.

Surprised no one's said "Cold as a witch's tit" yet.

This thread has been viewed 36802 times.

Back