gay marriages

In 1954, my parent's marriage was barely legal by a couple of years. Although it didn't last long, I would be rather upset if I ever found out it wasn't recognized and was some kind of marriage "lite" or "civil union." My question is would it matter to the gay community if we gave you the same rights, but called it a "civil union"- which might preserve some respect from the traditionalists and religionists?

MeAndroo said:
No need to get defensive, Mike is only trying to help.

I choose to think that she wasn't being defensive and hope that she accepted my uninvited commentary in the caring and friendly spirit in which it was offered.

As for marriage, I do NOT believe it is ONLY a religious thing. There are plenty of people who get married outside of any religious setting. And that is nothing new in human history.

If you want to go way back one can watch Mel Brooks movie "History of the World pt 1" in which the first marriage was a blonking of a mate over the head and dragging them home. This was followed by the first gay marriage done the same way. A light-hearted take on the history that includes arranged marriages, selling of children as brides, voluntarily marrying
only in one's social class or out of it, etc...

sanctity...?

I'm not so sure about that.

It's different things for different people.
Why can't someone born with both sex orgins, none, or somewhere in between, decide for themselves who they want to marry?

This thread has been viewed 804 times.

Back