Genetic of Italy (also taken from Wikipedia)

indeed, but i've never understood the high genetic distanc between sardinians and italians; italians seems much more near russians and poles than to sardinians

Sardinians are amazing. They are among the oldest Europeans, along with Basques.

i agree i don't see differences; however i don't know if you have seen the latest genetic studies on europeans populations:
italians
varies much more than anyother european populations, there's a high genetic difference in italy; sardinians have even their own genes, and genetcially they are relatively far from many other italians.
Northern italians are near spanish/portuguese french and swiss (more near to northern and north western europeans), southern italians are near greeks and south east balkans (they are more mediterranean and far from northern and north western europeans).

That's great, you're totally right! And mixing the Northern features with the Southern ones the result in terms of ethnic variety is amazing! :)

Greeks do not cluster with Jews in any autosomal study. They form their own cluster together with South Italians and pretty close to Tuscans and Balkanians while Jews are an outlier in South Europe. They look like a Semitic/South European/Slavic mix with a strange connection with Adygei of Caucasus (Khazars?). The majority of Greeks don't have a semitic look they look completely European.

The maps I've seen, if I remember correctly, place Jewish people in a cluster right next to the Cypriots. I'll try to locate a few.

Sardinians are amazing. They are among the oldest Europeans, along with Basques.

Sardinians are probably older than Basques, genetically. Their mtDNA is comparably paleolithic if I recall correctly, but Basque Y-DNA is dominated by R1b, which has been in Europe since relatively recent times. Sardinians, on the other hand, have more haplogroup I (paleolithic Y-DNA) than anybody except Scandinavians and some groups in the Balkans... and those groups in the Balkans in particular do not have the same levels of paleolithic mtDNA. Sardinians may be the most anciently European people.

here are the averages face of italians

(i used footballplayers)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C7gPxf4vSIM/SyE3vR8XnbI/AAAAAAAAAFs/MsmZrCScmJ0/s1600-h/italy48.jpg
48 images

italy12.bmp

12 images

However created this thread doesn't know nothing about anthropology and general phenotypes of Italy.
Italy is not at all gracile med and med only, but mostly alpine and dinaric\dinaricized meds with a fair amount of Atlanto-Meds as well especially in Ligury, Tuscany, Lombardia and Emilia Romagna, but you can find them all over Italy more or less. The gracile meds and berids are to be found mostly in Sardinia, the rest of Italy lacks them mostly save some parts of Calabria. All the pictures of dark guys posted by the owner of the thread are of S.Italian origins, no one of them is from Central or N.Italy. The differences are not enormous but there are and you can notice it.
Livi and Biasutti shown that blonde hair and blue eyes are not rare at all and not only present in N.East Italy or around Alps but scattered in the whole Italy with several enclaves where the % in some cases is striking.
italy is in the centre of mediterranean europe, therefore it received inputs from many part of southern europe, a great part of it belongs to the east med basin type, expecially in southern italy where in the past were greek colonies, the etruscans in tuscany that came from anatolia and arrived there from the crescent valley (tigri/eufate) i think.
the arab influence is scarce and restricted to some place of sicily.

It is not so sure, most of the genetic studies over Etruscans were just biased in favour of Turkye; those same "Anatolian haplos" found "only" in Turks and the people of "Murlo" are presents all over Europe. Furthermore the Etruscans intermingled with pre-etruscan people too; Ligures, Umbrians and Villanovians mostly and any study suggest a mass migration from Anatolia in that time. So the west asian haplogroups found in Italy are mostly neolitich, not from recent historical movements.
about the dinarics you are right, they appearence (that of classical dinarics) is similar to mediterraneans or southern european phenotypes, expecially the dinarid forms toghether with mediterranean the eastern med type.

The dinaric typology doesn't form the eastern med type at all, and it is not similar to med.
The several dinaric types are found in Germany too in large number.
The dinaric type is a central\north balkan peculiarity, i fail to see those countries pure "eastern meds".

As for all the maps posted by some people here, the closeness of Spaniards to French is because of the lack of other Spaniards, as iinstead happens with Tuscans and N.Italians who of course cluster closer being of a more similar stock compared to French.

Italy has had a greater neolitich impact than Iberia, and then it appears a little more "toward" east. In comparison Italy has much less recent admixture from historical periods compared to Iberia, save maybe Sicily.

well, neolithic is mediterranean. where do you think mediterranean phenotypes in italy comes from?( mostly gracil meds). dinarids are found in italy, the balkans, and as far as north as germany, as far as west as south east france and as far as east to the balkans.

in the rest of europe then you have dinaroids form, but aren't dinaric.
dinaric pigmentstion wise is similar to med, and because of the convex nose, it has an east med vibe.

To start with Italy is not mostly med. Second, not necessarily dinaric have convex armenoid nose, just as the meds, be them eastern or western.
Third, pigmentation has nothing to do with phenotype, nobody in anthropology divides subraces basing over skin tones.
You can be a dark west med and completely different from a fair east med in phenotype.

Last edited:
dinarids all have convex noses, basic mediterraneans have a straight nose

In Italy you have a mix of alpine\med\dinarics, the pure meds and the pure dinaric are few compared to the former.

well, in saying that you are right.

If you say that in Italy there are "eastern med" directly linked to neolitich farmers they should have necessarily convex nose going by your logic.

Last edited:
well, a lot of people in italy have convex noses.
the typical tuscan nose is convex for example

this is a typical italian dinaro-med
from GF
1-margherita-zanatta-01.jpg

Margherita-Zanatta-02.jpg

Margherita-Zanatta-in-lacrime-per-aver-voltato-le-spalle-a-Guendalina-in-occasione-della-votazione-che-avrebbe-determinato-la-permanenza-o-meno-di-Ilaria-Natali-al-Grande-Fratello-11-300x225.jpg

she's also quite similar to me, same profile and facial structure also pigmentation wise.
therev are many girls like that (dinaro-med) in italy

I know many people from Tuscany and i haven't noticed all those convex noses.
I'm from Emilia Romagna, and i work in Pisa, so i see Tuscans every day.

Tuscans are mostly Alpo\Dinaric with a fair % of Atlanto\med\cromagnoids.
Fair eyes and hair are quite common, norics\depigmented tall meds\fair alpines are not rare at all.

That girl is alpo\dinaric but the nose is not very convex to my eyes.
By the way she has nothing of east med vibe in my opinion.
You could see her type in S.France without problems.

well, there are many, in emilia romagna you have also more north western phenotypes, it's different from tuscany.
dinaro-meds are very common in italy, and above all in tuscany. Dante alighieri, chiellini, gianna nannini, roberto benigni, and many common people.
besides, that girs surname is from Veneto, she's northern italian.

That girl is alpo\dinaric but the nose is not very convex to my eyes.
By the way she has nothing of east med vibe in my opinion.
You could see her type in S.France without problems.

i agree, south east france is quite similar to italy, more so northern italy, they were both inhabitated by ligurians and also celts, more so in south east france also for internal migrations in france

well her phenotype is more common to italy, and not france, she's very typical for italy, certainly there are types like that in south-east france (but fewer)

This thread has been viewed 260282 times.

Back