Greatest German contributions to the world ?

What is/are Germany's greatest contribution(s) to the world ?

• Beer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sauerkraut & sausages

• Philosophy (Leibniz, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Heidegger...)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Classical music (Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Schumann, Wagner, Strauss...)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • World's first pocket watch

• World's first petrol/gasoline engine, diesel engine, motorcycle and Jet engine

• Cars (BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Porsche, VW...)

• World's first light bulb, TV, LCD screen

• Electric appliances & electronic goods (Siemens, Bosch...)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Aspirin & other pharmaceutical products

• Dogs (dachshund, german shepherd, doberman, rotweiler...)

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
Wagner, Beethoven, Kant, Nietzsche, Wheat Beer, Sausage.

Germans have made a huge contribution to Europe and the world in almost all areas.

Here I will only say one thing that may have missed in previous posts:

German economic system, management, discipline.

What is German economic system?

Do you think Germans invented discipline? How do they contribute it to the world? Can you export it to, let's say, Nigeria?

What is German economic system?

Do you think Germans invented discipline? How do they contribute it to the world? Can you export it to, let's say, Nigeria?

LeBrok

I thought about the German business and corporate culture where discipline is a its part.

German management style, business culture etc. are taught by business schools around the world.

People around the world can learn and strive to implement best practices and this is the German contribution.

Several sites:

www.simplehrguide.com/german-management-model-should-we-study-it.html
The German Management Model is based on following basic principles:

Long-term Strategy
Common agreement with Trade Unions and Employees
Mutual Respect to Authorities
Formalism
Focus on Personal Contribution
Focus on Performance

Maybe, within several years we will have to learn the secret of the German Management Style. The success of German companies during last few years is truly worth studying.

www.germanculture.com.ua/library/facts/bl_business_culture.htm

The German style of competition is rigorous but not ruinous. Although companies might compete for the same general market, as Daimler-Benz and BMW do, they generally seek market share rather than market domination. Many compete for a specific niche. German companies despise price competition. Instead, they engage in what German managers describe as Leistungswettbewerb, competition on the basis of excellence in their products and services. They compete on a price basis only when it is necessary, as in the sale of bulk materials like chemicals or steel.

The German manager concentrates intensely on two objectives: product quality and product service. He wants his company to be the best, and he wants it to have the best products. The manager and his entire team are strongly product oriented, confident that a good product will sell itself. But the manager also places a high premium on customer satisfaction, and Germans are ready to style a product to suit a customer's wishes. The watchwords for most German managers and companies are quality, responsiveness, dedication, and follow-up.

www.worldbusinessculture.com/German-Management-Style.html

www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/germany-country-profile.html

Pdf file:

http://andreasfeinmarketing.com/download/US-Artikel/sbmfeb01.pdf

One book:

Markus Richwien, Cross-Cultural Differences - Japanese and German Management Styles from the German Perspective: Hofstede's Dimensions applied on German and Japanese Managers' Leadership Styles

etc.

There are a lot of sources and more recently as it is considered that Germany successfully cope with the economic crisis.

Ok, I agree with you that the German business/corporate culture and practice easier to implement in a European country than Nigeria.

For example, to simplify, suppose that a management team wants in a Nigerian company to adopt a corporate culture of a German company that serves as a model.

This is a difficult task because one of the factors the corporate culture is the national culture, but leaders of the Nigerian company can not change national culture.

But still a good practice in German companies may be introduced, and success will partly depend on how much they are capable as leaders.

We can discuss and about German business model but I think it is better to discuss some from Germany.

Thanks Garrick, I see what you mean now, though the thread catered more to the inventions, and not to a German style of doing things. On other hand maybe we should extend the inventions to include a culture or a style.
In Italian Contributions thread the Italian shoes should be included, and this would get the most votes from women. J This is not sarcasm, just agreeing with your creative thinking.

I didn’t agree that Germany have their own economic system, but if you just narrow it down to German management style I gladly agree.

Sorry for the short response, but I’m chronically running out of time recently and I’m tired from overdose of work.

Thanks Garrick, I see what you mean now, though the thread catered more to the inventions, and not to a German style of doing things. On other hand maybe we should extend the inventions to include a culture or a style.
In Italian Contributions thread the Italian shoes should be included, and this would get the most votes from women. J This is not sarcasm, just agreeing with your creative thinking.

I didn’t agree that Germany have their own economic system, but if you just narrow it down to German management style I gladly agree.

Sorry for the short response, but I’m chronically running out of time recently and I’m tired from overdose of work.

LeBrok
Ok. Someone may find a lot of the literature about the German management and corporate culture.

But, especially recently, is increasingly used and the expression of the German economic system, since German economy achieved high scores, this expression are used, among other, and among politicians:

www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,3280955,00.html

Merkel Calls for Rejuvenation of German Economic System

www.thehindu.com/news/international/article492145.ece

Merkel suggests world should adopt German economic system

Yes the term is used but it is misleading. System means something more substantial, profound and a basic form. German economic system is same as in England, USA, France and most European countries. It's is capitalistic free market economy.
Now the differences that we see are in style of managing the same system, the same base of economy. Obviously Germany have their own style of running economy a bit different way than in GB, they have different tax system, social help network and many other things. But the core how they produce GDP, and allow the capital to flow, invest, and companies to compete, is basically the same. That's the system.

Yes the term is used but it is misleading. System means something more substantial, profound and a basic form. German economic system is same as in England, USA, France and most European countries. It's is capitalistic free market economy.
Now the differences that we see are in style of managing the same system, the same base of economy. Obviously Germany have their own style of running economy a bit different way than in GB, they have different tax system, social help network and many other things. But the core how they produce GDP, and allow the capital to flow, invest, and companies to compete, is basically the same. That's the system.

LeBrok
Ok. As you have seen the term is used, it may be a variation on the same or similar meaning:

German economic system
Economic system of Germany
German (econimic) model.

I think your logic is correct, but and those who use this term, in fact it is mostly about how a particular system that can be specifically called.

Here's an example:

http://econpapers.repec.org/article/rjrromjef/v_3a2_3ay_3a2005_3ai_3a3_3ap_3a65-90.htm

I'm not so crazy about taxonomy, as long as we know what we are talking about. I just expressed my opinion about this subject.

What is left to do for you is somehow explain how German economic system is contributed to the world, as per title of this thread. Usually it means it was exported or assimilated by other countries. Who else is using German Economic System?
If no one else, then this invention is only beneficial to Germany, and not to the world.

I'm not so crazy about taxonomy, as long as we know what we are talking about. I just expressed my opinion about this subject.

What is left to do for you is somehow explain how German economic system is contributed to the world, as per title of this thread. Usually it means it was exported or assimilated by other countries. Who else is using German Economic System?
If no one else, then this invention is only beneficial to Germany, and not to the world.

LeBrok
One of the characteristics of the German system is, among other things, particular economic model known as “Social Market Economy” (Soziale Marktwirtschaft)

You can see that others are invited to adopt this system (and it would be contribution).

Certainly, in some European countries adopted some features of this system.

You're right, the question remains whether this particular system.

Maybe it's better to be characterized as a variant of the existing system.

It is an interesting discussion and it would be good if someone from Germany to participate and give his/her opinion.

For me personally, economic systems in general are closely bound to conceptions of justice and thus some kind of product of economic philosophy, which in turns again reflect standards of cultural mentality and ethics.

For instance, no matter how good the economic and social system in Scandinavia works, it could never be transfered to the USA, as it would be considered as a huge impact of freedom, which has more relevance in the US. Scandinavia in turns couldn't take over the economic and 'unfair' social system of the US. And USA and Scandinavia both belong to the Western World, it would become even more complicated in other regions in the world.

It is not that easy just to 'import' or 'export' economic systems from or to other countries. If a system works very well in a country and is appreciated by people of another country, of course elements of it can be taken over. But not the whole system as one to one, but parts of it modified to the needs and mentality of the people.

For me personally, economic systems in general are closely bound to conceptions of justice and thus some kind of product of economic philosophy, which in turns again reflect standards of cultural mentality and ethics.

For instance, no matter how good the economic and social system in Scandinavia works, it could never be transfered to the USA, as it would be considered as a huge impact of freedom, which has more relevance in the US. Scandinavia in turns couldn't take over the economic and 'unfair' social system of the US. And USA and Scandinavia both belong to the Western World, it would become even more complicated in other regions in the world.

It is not that easy just to 'import' or 'export' economic systems from or to other countries. If a system works very well in a country and is appreciated by people of another country, of course elements of it can be taken over. But not the whole system as one to one, but parts of it modified to the needs and mentality of the people.

Mzungu mchagga
Yes. So if you notice are given: the system, management and culture.

People in one country can learn how the economic system works in another country, can learn the style of management but this can not be implemented in the same way due to different cultures, and of course other important differences.

Ok, the leaders of the organizations can change the culture although it is a laborious process and requires their strong commitment and engagement.

If it comes to national culture capabilities leadership of change are limited.

So it can not be fully replicated system from one country to another, especially if the cultural differences (of course, and not just cultural) are large, but certainly it is important to learn from the successful system.

I think the increased interest for the German economic system (I use the term as it is used, okay, this is not contrary to the general system of the capitalist system, but one of its variants) due to the fact that in recent years, especially in times of economic crisis, proved to be successful.

This is a great contribution to the German world and others can learn German system, management and culture, and try to adopt some of the things for which estimates that it is useful and possible in a particular situation.

I think that the topic of the German "economic system" and current economic success (specially relative to much of Europa and USA nowadays), deserves its own thread.

I have so many things to say about it, but I do not do it for fear that I will be losed among so many other themes exposed here.

Really, I think it is a extremely relevant and interesting nowadays... and therefore, I think that I deserves its own thread. Someone really should open it.

Regards.

Surely 'Jewish' is a cultural and religious distinction? The Jews may be more inclined and determined to keep their 'racial purity' than some other groups, they are after all Gods chosen ones, but there has never been a foolproof way of keeping a stray cockerel out of the chicken run. Jewish is not a truly ethnic distinction since their recognised racial group is Semitic, which includes many non-Jews, including the Arab peoples. Arabs raised by Jews or Jews raised by Arabs are indistinguishable from the rest of the particular herd. Like all cultures of long standing, much of what passes for traditional Jewish culture would be unrecognisable to their distant ancestors. Some Jewish cultural traditions certainly reach back into the mists of time, but elements of Jewish tradition are acknowledged as borrowed from other cultures, as has happened with all cultures. Also, powerful manipulators arise everywhere who are wont to apply their own agendas and skew the mix whenever opportunity arises. This phenomenon is very apparent in the genesis and evolution of the Christian religion and Christian teaching of course.
Just my twopennyworth.
But I would be interested to know who the very first person claiming to be Jewish was, or when the term first arose - and what that person or group's recent, and more distant, ancestors had been. Who were the first Englishmen or Germans for that matter. I think this kind of self-aggrandising divisiveness fizzles into nonsense when put under the microscope and pushed to the wall. Follow our individual genetic lines of descent back far enough, ethnic boundaries disappear and we are all turn out to be distant cousins of one kind or another - Hitler, Bin Laden, Mugabe, that fellow who massacred scores of American Indians and Gadhafi too.

Since it considered so cucial in preserving nationhood, according to universal military thinking, I suggest inclusion of the guided missile too.

For reference I had in mind the Hs293 and the Fritz X. It is possible many people have still never heard of them.
For instance, an air-launched Hs293 sunk HMS Egret in 1943 - blew it sky high with a strike to the ship's magazine. Those things really did work!

For reference I had in mind the Hs293 and the Fritz X. It is possible many people have still never heard of them.
For instance, an air-launched Hs293 sunk HMS Egret in 1943 - blew it sky high with a strike to the ship's magazine. Those things really did work!

Well, I heard of it... it was lauched from the air (in that case, a Do 17)... just has the best anti-ship missiles of today (such as the Russians Moskit or Yakhont)...

(corrected information)

And another example of guided WWII German missile...

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasserfall_(Rakete)

(corrected...link)

Regards.

Last edited:
Excellent Sirius. [It was a Do217 that sank Egret but close enough].
For reference m'sieur, don't take this as my saying guided missiles were the greatest German contribution to humanity - just one other step forward into the technology of today that has (arguably) brought some benefit to those who presume to keep the world safe for the rest of us.
As an aside - do you know of any Mexican contribution in the field of pioneering aviation, or was there was too much all-consuming political strife going on at the time in the country to allow time/effort/funds for such experimentation?

Excellent Sirius. [It was a Do217 that sank Egret but close enough].

Strike three!!!! :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

(Thanks for your comprehension, anyway (y) )

As an aside - do you know of any Mexican contribution in the field of pioneering aviation, or was there was too much all-consuming political strife going on at the time in the country to allow time/effort/funds for such experimentation?

On the contrary, the only true interest to experiment with aviation in Mexico were precisely the times of the Mexican Revolution.

The first sight for precission bombing, the first aereal combat, and the first ship sank by a plane, and the breaking several times the altitude record, were all that happen in Mexican Revolution (1911-1917)

http://www.fata.unam.mx/ciencia/2010/historia-de-la-aviacion-mexicana-primera-parte

After that, none was done that deserves mentioning, that I remember.

After WWII, when there was a worldwide general interest in Rockets and the possibility of space travel, there was also here some initial interest in the matter... so we started a native space program in the end of 50s, early 60s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD5CN8JykQU

... but I guess that, as common in our History, Mexican politicians decided the money will be better spent on expensive cars and suits... :embarassed:

Regards.

P.S.

Being you Canadian, you probably be interested in knowing that Bombardier is doing some good things here. http://www.thestar.com/article/433845

This thread has been viewed 207843 times.

Back