Religion Have you heard about the Judas' gospel?

Mamoru-kun

Wanderer
Reaction score
I don't believe in any kind of 'god' above us, but I really appreciate the history of Christians, their testaments,...Recently, I’ve seen a "scientific" emission on that "famous" Judas' gospel, prohibited at around 380 AC, and lost from that time. A copy of it has been found back half a century ago, and only recently (this year?) did they (the scientists) recognized it as a true copy of that forgotten gospel. Well, I have to admit that I really prefer to see Judas the way he is described in that gospel than in any other. What I mean is that, seeing it just as a story and no more, it's a more “romantic” story...or was I simply too familiar with the "usual" Judas' story?

Yes. I know what you mean too. I am gonna follow up on the information as it comes out through the Society of Biblical Literature. The Greek text will be interesting to see for the flavor and possible renderings. I'm looking forward to it.

ps nice to see you posting around again. Maybe I have just missed them, but I haven't heard much from you in a while. take care !!

EDIT: I forgot. This thread would probably be better off in the Religion and Philosophy fora under 'General Discussion' in the Europe Forum.

Could be an interesting read. Seems that there is some movement to remove Judas from being the arch traitor to being a tool of God in various circles at the moment.

BTW I have moved this to Religion and Philosophy, but have left the link in its old place:)

Thank you very much for your support Mars Man :) I have been indeed quite busy last month, and I'm afraid that it will be the same the comming month, but well, the Judas' gospel thing seemed to be to much big to let it out of this forum ...especially taking into account that you and others have a lot to say on biblical things ;)

And to add a point to Mycernius (something I prefered to avoid speaking about in my first post), som people indeed seem to want to remove that bad Judas' image. As it has been said in the emission, that would have a great inpact on the vision people have on what happened during the second World War...

you can find it in pdf format here http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/_pdf/GospelofJudas.pdf
It was actually discovered about a decade ago in an old bureau or something like that. It was in poor shape but they've been working on restoring it since around 2000, when it was first called "the gospel of Judas."

It was written in a coptic script and is placed in around the 2nd century, just a couple generations after the events that transpired. It presents Judas as the most trusted disciple of Jesus, and was actually chosen to turn Jesus over to the Romans for the purpose of freeing Jesus from his body. I never really bought the whole betrayal story, as it didn't seem to jibe with everything else, and we never heard Judas's accounts of things and yet he became the most hated single person in Christianity. I wonder if this means that all those "passion" movies will have to be remade... :hey:

I just heard about it a few weeks ago. It is interesting-- the thought is that it came from a sect of gnostics...but the age of it makes it very intriguing.

That's true sabro. And one thing is that at least one famous Sub-Apostolic Father did write against it, it appears. As mentioned above, it most likely is a copy of an original, meaning it had an exemplar.

This is one thing that as come up I believe on the 'Biblical Texts' thread (and maybe in other places too) regarding the many writings that were there then in that period (late first-early second century) even. It is for that reason, quite specifically that I had once said, which you may recall, sabro san, that the canon formation was messy.

Yes, it is interesting, and I'll keep my eyes open for information as it comes out--as it will be through the scholars who do that sort of stuff.

This has interested me for a while. I heard it was from gnostics as well. I forgot what I was going to say, but will be back with some info. lol.

Yes. As far as I have heard, it is very Gnostic. Also, it greatly appears to be the thing that the author(s) of John's Gospel and letters had been bent on wiping out. Some in the other Gospel accounts give evidence of the same at after the resurrection scenes, and Pauline theology seems to evidence a beginning of the Gnostic build-up, but likely pre-date the peak.

I'll make some points on that in the 'Biblical Texts' thread, as I go, too.

I just brought this up to encourage any who can to be sure to check out the National Geographic write-up on this. (May '06; pp78~95)

I think that especially the information from the mid-second column on page 87~mid second column on page 91 can fit in with a matter I have been working on drawing attention to, in a number of ways, since last summer--the canonization process was messy, long, and that there is canon does not really say all that much for the works which make up the canon.

I checked with some sorces on it through the Society of Biblical Literature--of which Meyer, Evans and Ehrman are members, and found out a little bit, but would have to buy some books to dig further--which I may do in time.

I did download a copy of the Coptic Greek text, and am looking at that, but it is different from Koine Greek, so will be hard to translate--of course this is just for fun and challenge.

If you get the chance, please do look over that article.:) :cool:

They've finished translating it!?

I thought they were still trying to restore the scroll. It' be very interesting to know what is written there. Ever since I heard about the dead sea scrolls and the other texts that were not included in the Bible I've become curious as to what they contained that they were excluded.
:souka:

please read my above post, it contains a link to a pdf of the English translation hosted by National Geographic. They finished restoring it earlier this year.

This thread has been viewed 341 times.

Back