Immigration Is the Swiss naturalisation system racist ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
According to an official report (see BBC article) the process of naturalisation in Switzerland is discriminatory and even racist.

BBC said:
Switzerland has Europe's toughest naturalisation laws. Foreigners must live for 12 years in a Swiss community before they can apply, and being born in Switzerland brings no right to citizenship.

Under the current system, foreigners apply through their local town or village.

They appear before a citizenship committee and answer questions about their desire to be Swiss. After that, they must often be approved by the entire voting community, in a secret ballot, or a show of hands. This practice, the report says, is particularly likely to be distorted by racial discrimination.

It cites the case of a disabled man originally from Kosovo. Although fulfilling all the legal criteria, his application for citizenship was rejected by his community on the grounds that his disability made him a burden on taxpayers, and that he was Muslim.

Let's not forget that Switzerland is one of the most democratic countries in the world, because each of the 26 cantons is a parliamentary state of its own. In a country of 7.5 million residents (1/5 of which is made of foreigners), this means that the population is extremely close to their politicians. If we exclude foreigners, there is a parliament for 230,000 people in average. Even more democratic than Luxembourg !

In such a closely knit society, where dialects can be mutually unintelligible just on the other side of a mountain, it is normal that the opinion of local communities is so important. Therefore it is also natural that one would need the approval of that tiny local community where one is living to obtain citizenship. A place where everybody knows each others is utterly different from big impersonal cities where neighbours don't even recognise each others in the street, as is often the case in cities of over 1 million people. No such thing exist in Switzerland.

One cannot apply moral judgement universally without taking characteristics of each country and culture into account. In this case it is nonsensical to call the Swiss system racist when it is the essence of Switzerland and Swiss lifestyle itself.

Now, I do not know the Swiss system very well, so I can't say whether I have the opinion it is racist or not. I would have to learn some more information about their system and about Switzerland / Swiss culture before I could know my opinion about if it is racist. :relief:
One cannot apply moral judgement universally without taking characteristics of each country and culture into account. In this case it is nonsensical to call the Swiss system racist when it is the essence of Switzerland and Swiss lifestyle itself.
I agree with your first sentence. :) About the second... it's not necessarily nonsensical (I'm not saying it isn't, just considering the structure of thinking separately from the specifics of Switzerland). In my opinion, a system which is deeply ingrained in a country's culture and lifestyle can still be racist. Under those circumstances, I would say that therefore the individual people (individual inhabitants of that country, members of that nation etc.) have mitigating circumstances that go some way (possibly a long way or even all the way!) towards explaining the reasons for specific racist behaviours they exhibit and / or views they hold. As the country / nation is made up of individuals that also explains widely-held views and elements of culture. However, I would not say that means those views or behaviours aren't racist. I believe there are objective standards by which you can look at something and say "That's racist behaviour", or "That system / procedure is racist". No matter how deeply ingrained in the culture it might be, it would still be racist. In fact, you could say that some of the most racist views are some of the most deeply ingrained in a particular culture!
I am NOT saying that Switzerland is like this or that the Swiss system is racist - just putting forward my view on the judgement of whether or not something is "racist". :p

This is a country that will happily let in immigarnt workers when times are good, sometimes up to several years, and when the ecomony has a downturn it kicks them all out, dening those who have even started families to live there. It might mot be racist, but it is certainly a very closed society. You have mentioned that Japan does a very similar thing and have called them racist. Why the different stance on the Swiss?

This is a country that will happily let in immigarnt workers when times are good, sometimes up to several years, and when the ecomony has a downturn it kicks them all out, dening those who have even started families to live there. It might mot be racist, but it is certainly a very closed society.

Yet, 21% of the Swiss population is foreign.

You have mentioned that Japan does a very similar thing and have called them racist. Why the different stance on the Swiss?

Only a bit over 1% of the Japanese population is foreign. Switzerland is a much more rural society than Japan. Its biggest city, Zurich, has only 350,000 inhabitants. The Greater Tokyo has 35 million, 100x more !

Swiss communities are very closed within Switzerland itself. There are 4 official languages and many more dialects. In Japan everybody can speak standard Japanese, and accents hardly vary anywhere in the country for people born after WWII.

Frankly, Japan seems the exact opposite of Switzerland to me. Most Japanese live in big, impersonal cities (mostly in huge apartment buldings), and the mobility within Japan is tremendous by European standards. Swiss people live in vilages or small towns where people speak dialects unintelligible 30km away. You need to know the local dialect to adapt in Switzerland. In Japan, you just need to know standard Japanese.

Yet, Japan is still much more closed to foreigners than Switzerland, as the percentage of foreign residents proves. Nationality is not just a matter of being allowed to live and work in a country. One should know about its culture, institutions and be adapted to the local lifestyle. As it varies too much from place to place in Switzerland, it is normal than local communities have their say. Japan is so homogenous that it should obviously a matter at the national level.

How is the word "racist" being applied here? Just wondering, because reading the article it doesn't seem that the Swiss system is racist, even though I don't I don't know much about it. It doesn't come off as racist to me, maybe very strict though.

How is the word "racist" being applied here? Just wondering, because reading the article it doesn't seem that the Swiss system is racist, even though I don't I don't know much about it. It doesn't come off as racist to me, maybe very strict though.
That's also what I think. Nowadays too many people use the word "racist" in a context that has little to do with racism. They do so because they know that many Westerners have grown very sensitive to this word since the end of WWII (because of the Holocaust but also colonisation).

It being such an emotionally charged term, it is used and abused to stir strong feelings in media audience. Nowadays, one of the best way to infuriate people and try to make them change their behaviours is to call them racist.

Even when used properly, the word racist can mean quite different things :

1) someone who acts violently/hatefully against people of (all or some) different races
2) someone who discriminates against people of (all or some) different races only because of their race
3) someone who believes that one race (usually their own) is superior to all/some others. Or someone who believes that one race is inferior to all/some others. Or a combination of both, maybe nuanced with a ranking system.
4) someone who believes that all races are different (each with strength and weaknesses)
5) someone who believes that human can be divided in racial/ethnic groups (because some people don't, claiming that all humans are just the same !)

According to these definitions, virtually everyone is a racist. Not believing in number 5 is pure aberrance. But for too many people racist equals number 1.

One of the most common misuses of the word "racism" is when it is applied to religion or social class.

Many Europeans are fed up with the huge flow poor, uneducated immigrants. If they are against such type of immigration, they are sometimes called racist.

However, if one is in favour or a selected immigration based on qualifications (like in North America, Australia or Japan) then the racial argument is completely nonsensical.

I personally favour such kind of immigration. I am not against having immigrants from non-European origin, as long as they work and try to integrate.

The best example, I think, is in the UK. Whereas Indian immigrants are usually well-educated and well-integrated, most of those from Pakistan (same "racial group") are not. One can obviously not be called a racist if they accept those Indian immigrants and oppose the Pakistani ones.

Even if it were based purely on nationality rather than actual qualifications, it would be a political argument (like for visas), not a racial one.

For example, I found that it was unfair that the Brits, Germans and Austrians could stay in Japan for 6 months without a proper visa, while all other EU-citizens could only stay for 3 months, and the Japanese could stay 6 months visa-free in EU countries as long as they entered though Germany or Austria. But that is not racism, just politics.

I worked and lived almost 9 years in Switzerland, in Lausanne.
And yes alas, Switzerland is sometimes racistic. It was in 1975 that I saw on every bus in Lausanne; "La Suisse pour les Suisses".

I didn't find the Swiss in general racists, most certainly not in the French and Italian part of the country. I found Zurich beautiful to visit, but this town that has all the money in the world, is absolutely racistic in their way of behaving towards certain foreigners.

Switzerland is a very special country in Europe and that is not only because of their Bank Secret. Also because of, as Maciamo mentioned, of their small cultures in one big culture, the Swiss culture. The German speaking cantons
are the leaders of the country. The French and Italian speakers (cantons) are far more agreeable. And of the Swiss are hard workers, they exspect the same from "you" while you like to stay in their country. And so I did!

is it possible to be racist against someone who is from the same race than you? the kosovars are white (mediteranean-type) the polish are white (slavian type) and most swiss are white (alpine type) so they are the same race. Can the swiss be racist against the kosovar or the polish knowing that they are the same race?

is it possible to be racist against someone who is from the same race than you? the kosovars are white (mediteranean-type) the polish are white (slavian type) and most swiss are white (alpine type) so they are the same race. Can the swiss be racist against the kosovar or the polish knowing that they are the same race?

I agree with you that "racist" is a very inappropriate expression here. At best we could say "xenophobic" or simply "disliking immigrants from poorer countries".

Whatever their motivation, the Swiss undoubtedly have a political system that is closely aligned to the wishes of the electorate. I wish the UK was even a fraction as democratic.

Good for Switzerland. I wish Spain wouldn't give citizenship to mestizo criminals from South America.

This thread has been viewed 588 times.

Back