Religion Is There Marriage in Heaven?

Tsuyoiko

DON'T PANIC!
Reaction score
Is There Marriage in Heaven?*

In the gospels, Jesus is recorded as having said that there is no marriage in heaven:
Matt 22:30 said:
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
Mark 12:25 has a practically identical verse, Luke is slightly different:
Luke 20:35-36 said:
But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

Why would Jesus say that there is no marriage in heaven? Would you want to spend eternity where there is no marriage?

I already didn't much like the sound of heaven, but this has put me off even more. Being married is the most important thing to me by light years and I would never choose to give it up.

*This is not a 'serious' question!

Last edited:
Why would you want to be married in heaven Tsuyoiko? It's only an institution which allows you to procreate, and you certainly don't want to be doing that in heaven-there wouldn't be enough room for everyone, look at all the people trying to get in. I'd much rather go to hell personally, much more fun.:kaioken: :54: :flame: :beer1: :lover:

Now that is a statement my dear R&P fora sister, much more than a question. . .perhaps? But is it something to talk about.

I guess you already know what I would say. Firstly, it would not matter if Jeshua had actually said that or not, it most certainly reflects some teaching that had been held by the first century Christian elders--who passed it along in the narratives.

And, then, that teaching would have to have been based on a teaching of a heavenly resurrection which did not originally have it's roots in Jewish thought. The old pre-exilic though was in a physical resurrection--the heaven was where YHWH and the messengers of god resided.

After that, however, the whole concept would have to weighed based on the aggregate of inputs making up that whole concept, and then compared to the reality of the world (cosmoverse, I think it was that rhix san used, which I like and hope to have his consent on using here) we can know today.

Also, as perhaps Index (and I hope to meet him in Japan some day) pointed out, marriage is a human concept anyway. . . and how I wish mine were on more steady ground.....:(

I gotta stick with Matthew and Luke on this one. Heaven is obvioulsy sublime and ineffable...beyond conception or description. I wouldn't take any description too literally.

sabro said:
Heaven is obvioulsy sublime and ineffable...beyond conception or description.
Isn't love also sublime and ineffable, etc? For me, our relationships are what make existence worthwhile.

On a related note, it kind of makes you wonder...is there gender at al in the afterlife?

A quicky here. It may be good to keep in mind that maybe no marriage in heaven is correct afterall (and taking cue from the asterisk in the OP there). I mean, if there were, there would then have to be these things called, 'mother-in-laws'? And then heaven would go to hell...so....

I think it will be possible to recognize and stay close with with the spirits of people who have meant so much to us here on earth, but yeah the concept of marriage with any legal or social or cultural associations is pretty difficult to understand. It may be the best decision for some, like Tsuyoiko, the worst thing for a lot of others, so what makes human life satisfying is obviously unique and totally separate from conditions in the afterlife. Not having to fly to Japan to be together and spend days recovering from jet lag or worrying about our future together will be what I'm most looking blissfully forward to....:) :relief:

Mars Man said:
I mean, if there were, there would then have to be these things called, 'mother-in-laws'? And then heaven would go to hell...so....
Ahhhh, now I get it :D

This thread has been viewed 269 times.

Back