Ivan Mestrovic DNA?

Zvrk9

Reaction score
Ivan Mestrovic is the famous Croatian sculptor whose art is still displayed in some prominent locations in America, Croatia, and Serbia. His talent maybe related to his DNA. What do we know, if anything, about his autosomal or Y-DNA?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Meštrović

I have no information that some of his male descendants or cousins by male line was tested.

The biggest chance is that he was I2a1b, because he is from Dalmatian Hintherland, and I2a1b is the most dominant haplogroup in Dalmatia (especially in Dalmatian Hintherland).

Y DNA of Croatians from southern Croatia (Dalmatia)

i.imgur.comGZOmjrP.gif

The link I provided states Vrpolje, as his birthplace. Possible confusion is the location of Vrpolje in Croatia. I see now that there is at list one more Vrpolje and in the area closer to the Adriatic coast. However, Mestrovic's Vrpolje is North of river Sava.

I see on some of the old maps that some of the tribal nations reached the river Sava but likely did not go much further South. If that Vrpolje is the correct birthplace, this will be very close to the A-H Military Frontier zone (1553–1881) which expanded in a large loop. Many ethnic groups from South and North moved to these zones for economic and other reasons. From 1700 until mid-1800 this area and going East to Serbia (North of Dunav and Sava) had influxes of Slovaks, Germans, Serbians and others. Also, swapping some of the Slavik villages with Hungarian population (Magyarization) and movements of Croatians and Serbians in all of the directions, as discussed in other forums. Looking at Y-DNA of Hungarians and even the history of some of their last names, it should support this way of thinking.

Is this area really with a population of very similar Y-DNA %? Maybe it was not at Ivan Mestrovic birth time? Bachka, Banat, and Slavonia being above very large rivers like Sava and Danube (barrier in the past and natural border), and the Military Frontier migration targets, I would expect some differences.

The link I provided states Vrpolje, as his birthplace. Possible confusion is the location of Vrpolje in Croatia. I see now that there is at list one more Vrpolje and in the area closer to the Adriatic coast. However, Mestrovic's Vrpolje is North of river Sava.

I see on some of the old maps that some of the tribal nations reached the river Sava but likely did not go much further South. If that Vrpolje is the correct birthplace, this will be very close to the A-H Military Frontier zone (1553–1881) which expanded in a large loop. Many ethnic groups from South and North moved to these zones for economic and other reasons. From 1700 until mid-1800 this area and going East to Serbia (North of Dunav and Sava) had influxes of Slovaks, Germans, Serbians and others. Also, swapping some of the Slavik villages with Hungarian population (Magyarization) and movements of Croatians and Serbians in all of the directions, as discussed in other forums. Looking at Y-DNA of Hungarians and even the history of some of their last names, it should support this way of thinking.

Is this area really with a population of very similar Y-DNA %? Maybe it was not at Ivan Mestrovic birth time? Bachka, Banat, and Slavonia being above very large rivers like Sava and Danube (barrier in the past and natural border), and the Military Frontier migration targets, I would expect some differences.

Ivan Meštrović was born i Vrpolje in Slavonia, but his parent ceme from village Otavice near town Drniš in Dalmatian Hintherland.

[video]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otavice,_Croatia[/video]

[video]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Meštrović#Early_life[/video]

People from Dinaric Alps were migrated to Pannonian area for centuries, because life in Dinaric Alps was hard because there ia a little fertile land.
Surname Meštrović exist among Croatians and among Serbs from Dalmatian Hintherland.

This thread has been viewed 3721 times.

Back