J-y16842

yorick88

Reaction score
Hello everyone !

My paternal haplogroup is J-Y16842, my family comes from Belgium. We don't know who is my great grandfather. Do you know this paternal haplogroup ?

Thank you verry much.

Hello @yorick88 , you belong to haplogroup J2-Y13128 which has been found throughout Neolithic to Bronze/Iron Age Southeast Europe. Today Y16842 in particular seems to be mainly represented by men of Northwestern European (English, Irish etc.) descent as far as I can tell.

Thank you for your reply.
So we are descendants of Greeks ? Do you know how Europeans from the north-west can have a haplogroup from south-west Europe ?

Thank you for your reply.
So we are descendants of Greeks ? Do you know how Europeans from the north-west can have a haplogroup from south-west Europe ?
Hard to say. In archaeogenetic records J2a-Y13128 is not necessarily restricted to Greece. There are Bronze Age and EIA Greek samples but if I'm not mistaken none of them from Greece proper belong to the Y16842 subclade. Y13128 was pretty wide spread in the Neolithic/Chalcolithic as it has been found in the Panonnian plain I think and the eastern Balkans and of course Greece too.

There was an ancient sample from Roman period cosmopolitan port city called Kerkouane under J2a-Y13128 not sure if Y16842 (I need to check that) he obviously got there from Europe and also had European autosomal admixture.

Long story short if the Northwestern European clade came via some later post BCE source than a Roman mediated trajectory via an Italian or Southeastern European source could be possible. Also, sorry for the late reply.

This thread has been viewed 1369 times.

Back