Lawyers rule America?

den4

Reaction score
I'm curious of your opinions on this.
I've noticed that American folks are in the habit of not admitting fault when a problem arises because of litigation issues.
I've noticed that in Japan, if people apologize outright, they are looked upon with a more favorable view (especially when it's clearly their fault).
Something to do with accountability, I believe.
Each country has their own ways of doing things, true, but I wonder if Americans are not viewed by the world population as unintentionally arrogant because they are trained not to admit fault because they are afraid of being sued?
I've met lots of nice people, well mostly nice, but when a problem arises, they are quick to not admit fault, to the point where it is clearly an outright lie, but given a different situation, they probably would admit they were wrong.

Lawyers rule America? Then it's not the Land of the Free, but land of Free Lawsuits! :eek:

How can a pregnant woman tell that she's carrying a future lawyer?
She has an uncontrollable craving for baloney.

How does an attorney sleep?
First he lies on one side, and then he lies on the other.

How many lawyer jokes are there?
Only One. The rest are true stories.

What did the lawyer name his daughter?
Sue.

What do you call a lawyer gone bad?
Senator.

What do you call a lawyer with an IQ of 50 ?
Your honor.

What do you get if you cross a crooked lawyer with a crooked politician?
Chelsea Clinton.

:D

interesting opinions, Golgo :D

~*Lawyers rule America? Then it's not the Land of the Free, but land of Free Lawsuits*~

This is more true in more ways then one. Most Americans would deny fault lots of reason. For example the consequences in a car accident would mean maybe a suspended licenses, points on it, haveing to come out of the pocket[your own], maybe even your insurance company dropping you. No ignorant american would want that. And in a world where a lawyer can you get off of anything by haveing a tongue thats as quick as his mind, its just too good an opportunity to pass up.
:note:

Actually, the laws have changed here in California recently so that a person can apologize to someone they have injured without fear of their apology being misconstrued as an admission of guilt. So many injured people have commented about how much easier it would have made their lives if only the person who injured them would have apologized, and so many people responsible would love to apologize but have always feared the consequences. At least now both parties may find some comfort in at least giving and receiving an apology in an otherwise difficult situation. After all, mistakes do happen sometimes, and just because one party is found liable does not mean they are not sorry.

I rear-ended a guy in 2001. I called and left a message of apology on his machine, but my insurance company didn't pay as much as the guy wanted so he sued me anyway.

Without lawyers, I'd be out of a job.

Golgo_13 said:
I rear-ended a guy in 2001. I called and left a message of apology on his machine, but my insurance company didn't pay as much as the guy wanted so he sued me anyway.

Without lawyers, I'd be out of a job.

He obviously wasn't looking for an apology. Must have been someone just praying for an accident to happen to him so he could get some money. Just what you needed, huh?! I'm sorry that happened to you. And you were being such a nice guy, too!

Japanese folks tend to use mediation as opposed to litigation to solve legal problems. This has nothing to do with admiting fault. I think it has more to do with lawyers in Japan being really, really expensive (so few of them) and the system being very slow to act.

I also think a lot depends on the social standing of who is at fault. If someone lower on the ladder (new employee, small company, younger person, *ahem* foreigner) they are expected to admit fault sooner. The higher on the ladder you get (company president, government official, older person) the longer they will cling to the idea that they are not wrong.

Trust me, I have been in and heard of situations where a Japanese person or group has held onto the idea that they are in the right far, far longer than wa logical. I think in the US everyone thinks they are equally entitled to try and avoid blame. I don't think Japan is a more truthful place. There are just other ways of fixing problems than lawyers.

Interesting....I wish some of them California laws were available in backwater Oregon :D

This thread has been viewed 853 times.

Back