Let's talk about the election results

President Bush was re-elected because...

• He was the better candidate and the American people voted correctly.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • People did not want to change the President in time of war.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • He was able to manipulate feelings of nationalism to his advantage.

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • He supported key issues to a largely Christian voting population.

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Other. (Please state.)

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
Reaction score
OK, by now many of you have probably know that things aren't looking good for John Kerry. In all likelihood, President Bush will be elected for another term. Check out the BBC for updates. Given the situation of provisional ballots, Kerry could in fact still win. Results, however, may take as long as a week to be decided.

What do you think?

I think someone could have been very rich if they took my bet.

Serioulsy, I can't believe it. Until I get my emotions under better control, I won't be writing my thoughts. Needless to say, I am not happy. What happened?

What happened is that liberals are not quite the majority they like to think they are.

I don't think it's especially healthy to have a lot of psychic investment in the results by this point if you aren't going to be personally affected by the result. People generally get what they deserve. If unemployed, low-income or military voters liked Bush because they thought he had higher morals or a more appealing personality despite the skyrocketing deficit, health care costs and poor image it projects overseas, who am I to say differently ? All we can do is hope there won't be a real war the forces need to be called up for anytime soon. :p

Well, Bush has all but officially won Ohio. Even if Kerry gets all the provisional ballots, Bush still has enough to win it. It's over. Bush now has 4 more years.

What's surprising is that Bush beat Kerry in the total popular vote by around 3 million. There's no question this time.

*this post brought to you by the letters W,T, and F.

I'm not surprised either. I had a gut feeling it would go to Bush again.

That doesn't mean I'm happy about it, though...

Oh well.

Don't worry. There will be a couple of weeks of recounts, a few lawsuits by Kerry, and all you nice folks can spend another four years consoling yourselves with the myth that Bush stole another one.

mikecash said:
Don't worry. There will be a couple of weeks of recounts, a few lawsuits by Kerry, and all you nice folks can spend another four years consoling yourselves with the myth that Bush stole another one.
No one here is claiming widespread fraud (that I can tell), that they were necessarily surprised or that they are necessarily liberal for that matter....just they aren't happy with the result. Is there something hard to understand about that ? :?

mikecash said:

Ummm, he sure as hell stole the other one, I wouldn't be surprised if he stole this one

@#$#&*^&@#%^%#@%$!#$@!!!

This is my current view on the election results thus far. I will extend on these thoughts when I return home from school.

What happened is that liberals are not quite the majority they like to think they are.

Yeah, I guess most Americans aren't as intelligent as I thought. (Disappointing, isn't it?)

My personal opinion why the majority voted for President Bush:

Bush's campaign: lots of simple, pretty lies.

Kerry's campaign: mostly ugly, complex truth.

Which would do think people would rather accept? Quite frankly, I think most people would rather believe a pretty fantasy than deal with the messy truth. I am aware that this is an oversimplification, but it more or less hits the mark. (The Democrats are far from innocent. Kerry had his share of problems, too.)

Recently I was discussing this with a friend. I thought it was interesting that he thought the war in Iraq was NOT the decisive issue. Rather, it was the candidate's stance on abortion and stem cell research. (Bush was able to woo large portions of the Judeo-Christian voting population on these points, I think.)

Regarding people who want to label all Americans blind supporters of Bush, they should take note how close this election was. Bush has not won by a landslide. All of America's three largest population centers (L.A., NY, and Chicago) voted for Kerry. Hell, Cook County of Illinios (Chicago) has over 8 million residents, more people than the population of North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and Nebraska combined.

Check out the map below to which way states voted.
(Red voted Bush, Blue for Kerry.)

I hate seeing myself in the red... :(

Well, the next 4 years are definately going to be interesting. I'm curious what good ol' Mr. Moore will be saying.

you and me both....florida of all states...
*Shakes fist at all Bush supporters who waved at him yesterday on the side of the road after work....*

Now that the Republicans control all three branches of the Federal Government, I fully expect lower taxes, a much smaller government and a completely balanced budget by 2008. The Republicans, after all are the party of fiscal conservatism. Right?

We should hold them to absolutely nothing less.

mikecash said:
It's only surprising to the liberals.

I agree with cicatriz. In 2000, Gore got more popular vote, and the situation was not as desperate for "liberals" and pacifists than it is now. I am surprised than with 15 million voters more than in 2000 and the events of Iraq, Afghanisthan, huge public deficit, higher unemployment and bad international image which Bush is responsible for, he managed to get 3,5 million votes more than 4 years ago. And I believe that Kerry was a more attractive candidate than Gore, but apparently many Americans didn't think so. That is why I will also say that is is ... unbelievable. :worried:

And I am not even American and do not have any close connection to this country, apart its role in international affairs, which do not affect me directly anyway. But I feel the grief of Kerry's supporters. I personally thought that Kerry would win with something like 60%. The opposite seems to be true.

mad pierrot said:
Check out the map below to which way states voted.
(Red voted Bush, Blue for Kerry.)

The only solution I see is for the states from Illinois to Maine to join Canada and for California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii to create an indepedent state (or also join Canada). :p

Maciamo said:
The only solution I see is for the states from Illinois to Maine to join Canada and for California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii to create an indepedent state (or also join Canada). :p

There's already folks calling for Freetopia, which would be comprised of CA, OR, and WA. More sarcastic than serious though...

Recently I was discussing this with a friend. I thought it was interesting that he thought the war in Iraq was NOT the decisive issue. Rather, it was the candidate's stance on abortion and stem cell research. (Bush was able to woo large portions of the Judeo-Christian voting population on these points, I think.)
As well the ballot initiative that would ban same sex marriages in 11 states (including Ohio), which was probably the biggest single mobilizer for Conservatives. Clinton would have been able to overcome it by being from the South, more moderate, having a more natural style and telling the hard truth to everyone just a little differently :p....but those are extraordinary political gifts, obviously.

As I've told others, now that the Republicans are in complete control, their true nature (whatever that is) will be exposed to all of the country. If the majority of people still like what they see, then I guess that's just democracy.

A lot of my friends are convinced that this is the beginning of the end, and they may be right, but I think about the worst thing that will probably happen (from the perspective of non-Republicans) is that Roe v Wade will be overturned. That will certainly be bad enough, but not quite as bad as marching all the gays into concentration camps and completely dismantling science.

I don't think the US has the pull to start another war. If another draft is instated, and a new war is attempted, my guess is that quite a few countries will be willing to accept Americans fleeing involuntary servitude. Any new attempt at a new war will be difficult as the rest of the world will seek to thwart it.

Things will get pretty bad for those of us who don't go to Sunday school and don't wear ties, but they won't get bad enough to make us want to leave the country.

I hope.

This thread has been viewed 4789 times.

Back