Who would you vote for?

• Bush

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Kerry

Votes: 46 79.3%
  • Ralph Nader

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters
One week before the election and it is too close to call. Bush still has a 49% negative job approval rating (Zogby 10/21)-- so if Kerry loses, it is because people don't know who he is. Again the DNC has done a poor job of getting their message out-- people would rather vote for the fool that they know than the fool they don't.

Even Bon Jovi and Springsteen can't help this one.

it looks like bush is going to win. clearly this online poll meant nothing...

ah well, at least you americans now understand how australians like me feel. i can't believe howard won again (last month).

There are 4 states left unclear and all ballots haven't been counted everywhere, but the current results show that where Bush won, he did it often taking 60 to 70% of the votes, while Kerry only won with less than 60%, except in his native Masachussets and tiny, ultra-democratic Washington DC. That means that eventhough Bush is a world-class war criminal, eventhough everybody (outside the US?) knows he has been deceiving everyone since he became president, and eventhough he favours the 1% richest over the rest, most an average of 41 to 49% in the North-East and West Coast and 2/3 of Americans in all other states have voted for Bush. Some of them had not voted for him in 2000, but have now (look at Florida that Bush won with a 5% margin and Iowa, which had always voted against the Republicans from Bush Senior in 1988 to Bush Jr in 2000, but now turns Republican !). How is that possible ? :mad: That seriously deteriorate my (already poor) image of the average American. And that certainly will have an impact on what the world think of Americans - knowing that most people won't make the difference between the pro- and anti-Bush like I would. Al Qaida must be jubilating, for it got the excuse it wanted to reinterate its 2001 attack.

the results as they stand now is deeply depressing.

"That seriously deteriorate my (already poor) image of the average American"

I'm not sure "the average american" can be defined as one monolithic group or image. the race HAS been close which tells you many american who DO resent bush. rove's "evil genius" & bush's fabulous performance (what else can you call it?) have shown a great understanding of what buttons on middle/southern america to push. the people in deepest heartland aren't immediately impacted by how cosmopolitan capitals of the world view US, and certainly quite removed from the war unless they personally know people fighting it. when polled, "moral values" performed by bush's brilliant monkey act seemed more urgent than how bad the war, economy or health care are doing.

"if Kerry loses, it is because people don't know who he is. Again the DNC has done a poor job of getting their message out-- people would rather vote for the fool that they know than the fool they don't. Even Bon Jovi and Springsteen can't help this one."

that much is true <deep, hearbreaking sigh.> but it's not so much people don't know kerry, as kerry didn't make himself known on most americans' terms. he came off as a cold, rational, (over)-nuanced strategist. that can appeal to other like-minded thinkers on NYT, The Nation, & other Think Tank folks who don't need an Elvis figure to stroke their own ballot's ego. you really have to give it to the brutally aggressive & EXTREMELY digestible rhetoric of republicans. everything about it appeals to knee-jerk comprehension even 7-year-olds can get: "hit them before they hit us", "my faith has led me through many a storms", "support our army and troops", "i wake up everyday trying to think of ways to protect our country". anything that actually resembles the gray area, complex consequences of bullish actions, just aren't good campaign.

In defense of my state, Illinois votes for Kerry were near 77%. (Bush got less than 25%)

After the mass immigration to Canada, the Repulicans will win another election in 4 years. :yeahh:

I'm staying here in Arnold land. We're really a separate country with our own language, customs and traditions.

This thread has been viewed 7290 times.

Back