My heritage Free upload

"detto Sgualdo"

"detto" in Italian means "known as, called", your ancestor was known as "Sgualdo", Sgualdo in Venetian is the diminutive of Osvaldo, an Italian name of Germanic origin (from Anglo-Saxon Osweald, Old High German Answald, Old Norse Ásvaldr). I think Sgualdo is replacing his name, not his surname, but I'm not sure on this. Anyway both Osvaldo and Amadio contain the word "god". Osvaldo is definitely not a Jewisn name. Amadio is a surname carried by Italians who have no Jewish origin but also by Italian Jewish families. Even though the latter are rarer.

Dizionario del dialetto veneziano di Giuseppe Boerio

https://books.google.it/books?id=pwJDawpAc2kC&pg=PA585

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_(given_name)

Thanks...........by luck my 1st cousin beatrice in venice rang me this morning and I asked her

detto........is also " some say "

Detto is like Spanish dicho. Just means it's called....

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk

Just for curiosity I will upload to MyHeritage Tuscany HGDP samples. We will see what % of Italian and Greek they show.

Just for curiosity I will upload to MyHeritage Tuscany HGDP samples. We will see what % of Italian and Greek they show.

If they have been used as reference sample, they should show more Italian.

The results of a full Tuscan from Lucca (posted on Anthrogenica).

Europe: 100.0%
*South Europe: 84.0%
- Italian: 73.2%
- Iberian: 10.8%
*North and West Europe: 14.0%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 12.3%
-North and West European: 1.7%
*Ashkenazi Jewish: 2%

It's obviously the same meaning.

Indeed.

The usage is partly because of old Italian naming customs. Sons were often named after grandfathers, daughters after grandmothers. So, if a man and woman had six sons, and those six sons had a lot of sons, you could, for example, wind up with a lot of men in the same generation who had exactly the same name. In my mother's family, for example, we have an inordinate number of Giovanni Battistas. A lot of them "were called" by nicknames. Some are "detto" Gianni, like my maternal grandfather, or Nanni, or, very commonly, Vanni, in our area. Or they might be called by the saint's name on the day of their birth, or perhaps by a middle name. It varies. That's why you have to be careful when looking up records.

"Detto" is all over genealogical records. You can't miss it. It's the equivalent of the English a.k.a. or "also known as".

I just happened to see this. If this algorithm is basically the same as FTDNAs from the period when Razib Khan set up the program, then the "Italian" reference populations are the HGDP, Hap Map, and Estonian Bio-Center samples, to the best of my recollection.

Within the latter there's a southern Italian population, but the majority of the reference sample is going to be low on southern Italians. If they also just dumped in all the Tuscan samples, which far outnumber those of the other groups, then the centrum is going to be pretty close to Tuscan, which makes some sense.

What I think always gets lost in these discussions is the fact that the results always depend on where the centrum is located, and that's to some extent a subjective decision. One of these companies had a "Balkan" cluster which covered northern Italy. So, northern Italians came out with huge percentages of "Balkan" ancestry. If they had called that cluster "North Italian", which is just as plausible, then people in the northern Balkans would have had huge percentages of "Italian". If a company creates a "Greek" cluster, then lots of southern Italians are going to get huge percentages of "Greek" because contrary to the fantasies of people like Sikeliot, these are very similar populations. When you don't have a specifically Greek centered cluster, then Greeks are going to get a lot of Italian, depending on where the Italian cluster is placed.

This is to some extent a problem for every ethnicity, but because Italy has so much more variation, especially in the north, it's more of a problem for Italians unless they understand how these things work. Just think of it this way: there's less than two dozen samples from northern Italy, which has a lot of variation. Let's say that in their reference sample there is no academic sample from the Veneto, as I'm pretty sure there isn't. There just aren't going to be matches in a certain percentage of the alleles, so it will look for related alleles in another "cluster". If they had a Veneto sample, the "Italian" percentage in people from the Veneto would go up.

It's just how these things work. There's no "right" percentage if you're talking about percentages of historical, recent populations.

If they have been used as reference sample, they should show more Italian.

If they will show 80-100% Italy probably it will be indicator there are reference in Myheritage. I uploaded today few and waiting.

I do not think it is so accurate. I have like 20% balkans on my ancestry DNA which is 18% Italian Greek, and 2 percent east Europe. So East Europe on ancestrydna like south Eastern Europe is classified as Italy/Greece. Then on my FTDNA I got 18 percent Eastern Europe. Also I have about 10% Iberian also on Ftdna, and ancestry. On my Heritage it gave me 20 percent Central Europe, then middle eastern and North African. I don't know how it could leave out my Iberian or my Eastern Europe especially with percentage up to 20% on average. Even my GEDmatch had me with high traces of balkans. Yet I am missing all of that in my heritage.

can you post your results ?
regards
adam

If they will show 80-100% Italy probably it will be indicator there are reference in Myheritage. I uploaded today few and waiting.

I don't think MyHeritage is using only Tuscan HGDP sample. As Angela showed, the picture is, however, more complex. I also think that they used not only the Tuscans but also the northern Italians.

It's obviously the same meaning.

Yes and thanks for the dictionary .............I found the surname Robazza in it, my paternal surname has "detto Robazza" from 1740 to 1820 . Other sources state the Robazza families are now from montebelluna but in the 13th century where part of the guild class of venice ( not the merchant class )

we are from the same areas in Italy, but Veneto and Trentino for me

mine

Europe 100.0%
South Europe 64.1%
Italian 64.1%
East Europe 20.4%
Balkan 20.4%
North and West Europe 15.5%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 15.5%

and the difference to my father below
Europe 100.0%
South Europe 63.0%
Italian 63.0%
North and West Europe 20.7%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 20.7%
East Europe 11.7%
Balkan 7.4%
East European 4.3%

Ashkenazi Jewish 4.6%
Ashkenazi Jewish 4.6%

compared to my son ( one of )
Europe 100.0%
South Europe 76.6%
Italian 64.7%
Iberian 11.9%
East Europe 23.4%
East European 16.4%
Balkan 7.0%

who has or should have links with his mother below
Europe 100.0%
South Europe 74.1%
Italian 57.7%
Iberian 16.4%
...............her line has some Galician maternal links
East Europe 18.5%
Balkan 18.5%
North and West Europe 7.4%
North and West European 7.4%

the jewish part of my father has ( and I have as well but not my son ) only appears in his X chromsome ..........his grandmother , surname Amadio ( amadeus in austrian ) is also used as a christian name . She is the only person I cannot find much details on , although she was still alive after my grandfather was born mid-1895 but disappeared after this.

Myheritage is very cut-throat in dropping percentages from one family member to another, take my fathers 20.7% Irish, scottish and welsh , it dropped to 15.5% for me and then to my son it was renamed/reclassed as North and west European

I've uploaded my FTDNA autosomal results to My Heritage in both zipped and unzipped formats and there are some minor differences between them.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the results differ given that the raw data is identical and, if so, should I consider the zipped or unzipped version to be more accurate?

Attachments

• My Heritage Results.jpg
    My Heritage Results.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 82
So I just got a screen shot of my Great Aunts Results 50% Ashkenazim + 50% Sephardi. Apparently there is Mizrahi ancestry on the Turkish side that I was not aware of that came from Iran or Iraq.

13% MENA and 13% West Asian, and 55% Ashkenazim with the rest being Balkans and Southern Europe. 6% From Africa I did not get any of that.

View attachment 8845

New englander i cant open your link can
you please add another link
there is half sefhardi member in anthrogenica and she score 7.8% balkan
with kind regards
adam

First upload:

Inkedimage_32_LI.jpg

Recent upload:

Inkedimage_41_LI.jpg

View attachment 8850

Fixed. This is very interesting, given the notion we get an uneven distribution of DNA from your grandparents onward. As a great Aunt, you would expect some differences in both generational distance and indirect linage. But notice some significant scores that were not represented in my results proportionally.

genes pic.jpg

This thread has been viewed 57471 times.

Back