Psychology associated to consonnants

I have noticed that too Lexico.

Slow is a slow word
Fast is a fast word
Happy sounds happy
Sad sounds sad.

Thinking about Maciamo's idea of testing personalities of people speaking different languages, I wonder how you could separate their language from the rest of the cultural influences. Also, when looking at vowel pronunciation, the personality of English people would vary a lot if Maciamo's hypothesis stretches to vowels, as the pronunciation is very different depending on the region.

Now that I think about it, I do associate some letters with certain ideas, but it is not exactly 'obvious' to me. Also, there are fairly obvious reasons for those associations when I think about it. 'J' is a good letter - because it is for joy, jovial, joke, justice. 'X' is a mysterious letter, because 'X' marks the spot and mysterious people are called Mr X. 'C' is a safe letter, because it is my first initial. 'F' is a rude letter, it is for f*ck, fetish, **** off.

A type of personality test I like is the 16 type Jung tests, the results seem acurate to me. Maciamo's hypothesis aside, it might be interesting to see if certain types are more common among different languages. I am INTP.

My language a bit different, but there are some similiarities due to the same roots, i guess
For example, words pertaining to light, flash, and reflection often have gl-gr- initials; glow, glitter, gold, glass...
it will turn into bl-, s-, z-, st- (i am using verbs mostly)
glow - [sverkat`]
glitter - [blistat`]
gold - [zoloto]
glass - [steklo]

Words having to do with the nose often have ns-sn-nz- initials;
nose, snout, sneeze, snoop...
nose - same [nos], but -
snout - [rylo, hobot]
sneeze - [chihat`]
snoop - [pronyra n.]

Words having to do with fire, burning, smelitng, cooking often begin
with br-br-fr- initials; fire, burn, bread, brown, bronze...
rather g-, gn, h

fire - [ogon`] (maybe, from Agni
burn - [goret`]
bread - [hleb]

Words having to do with the mouth, beak, or calling often begins
with bk-pk-; beckon, beak, peck, pucker, (re)buke, bark, puke...
more likely k-
beckon - [kivat`]
beak - [kliyv]
peck - [klevat`]
pucker - [morsh`ina]
(re)buke - [ouprekat`]
bark - [gavkat`, layat`]
puke - [rvat`, blevat` - close to blew]

Sometimes the sound of the word resembles the sound produced by object or
action, such as 'crust', 'whisper', 'rustle', but consonants seem to differ from language to language

As for associations, i thought in our culture some of them can be due to early education, i remember when we`ve studied alphabet parents gave us little block with letters and most common objects which start with the particular letter.
Later, it can become more personified due to one`s experience, preferences
and education.
For example, for me F sound would raise different associations in English
and Russian, because its written form and words it used in are different

Last edited:
There seem to be a lot of "v" in Russian. Not surprising if it is associated with analytical skills or reason, as the Russians are famous for sciences, maths, chess, etc.

"F" may well have something to do with "impoliteness". In French too many negative words or expressions start with "f" : foutaise, fou, fichu, fiche-moi (la paix), foutu, (je m'en) fout, fous le camps, (va te faire) foutre, faux, etc. That is maybe why Japanese language lacks a proper "f" (too polite for that !)

Well, V for logic stands in your row of associations, Maciamo-san
For me it is rather L ("logic" %))) and japanese don`t have this sound) And V right now pops up for generosity (the first words what came to mind are somewhat connected to greatness, politness, universe)
F in russian looks very big, its sound i would connect if with self-confidence and even arrogance
But in fact, i never gave much thought to such connections. And to think about pairs
V - F
G - K
D - T...

This thread has been viewed 16737 times.

Back