The Albanian language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next according to your theory from "çel" aka sky we have expression like "çeli lulja" or "çeli veza" or "çeli dita" which I'd love you to explain.

Anyway the point is "çel" is not connected to "qiell" (sky) whether "çel" is more like "to be born/to blossom/to be reborn/fresh/bright ect".

Is actually pretty easy in forums as such in matter regarding Albanian to confuse other people cause few (mostly none) know the language and this is dual from Albanians and non-Albanians.

This is your second time that you are accusing me for trying to confuse other people. If you are a kid and are looking for some attention you better step aside, if you really think that :

whether "çel" is more like "to be born/to blossom/to be reborn/fresh/bright ect".

then you better learn your own language, because the primarily meaning for "çel" is 'to open' or hap(alb)[another synonym), and it has been like this at least since the year 1635.

k2d3pk.gif

On the contrary, your hypothesis is untestable: you imply that all languages with a long literacy tradition are essentially falsified while Albanian (which has a much shorter literacy tradition) is unfalsified. .

First I have to say that contrary the common false idea that Albanians had a shorter literacy tradition compared to the other "nations", we have proofs that this tradition was much older. In his 'tractatum'

DIRECTORIUM AD PASSAGIUM FACIENDUM 1332

Gulielm Adam wrote

nzgk6h.png

which means:

The Albanians indeed have a language quite different from Latin. However they use Latin letters in all their books

This means that literacy tradition among Albanians goes long before the year 1332, and since it has not been attested that doesn't make them illiterate, like some people have implied here.
Furthermore there is a huge difference, betwen nation like Greeks or Latins and Albanians. If the Greeks even those called Hellenes were clearly a religion nation, Albanians have a long ethnic history.

Last edited:
This means that literacy tradition among Albanians goes long before the year 1332, and since it has not been attested that doesn't make them illiterate, like some people have implied here.
Furthermore there is a huge difference, betwen nation like Greeks or Latins and Albanians. If the Greeks even those called Hellenes were clearly a religion nation, Albanians have a long ethnic history.

Finally, you express your shelf, the most known anti-Greek aver in internet,
tell me do you support A kolla theories?

by what I see in all your posts and in many sites and blogs had your signature, your problem is not Albanian language but Greeks and Greece, right?

your problem is if thera and dera (door) are from same language, but thera is after dera right?

your problem is not words like
Greek εKατο Κυων κυνηγος
germanic Hundad Hunt
Latin Centum Canis
the change of K H C might be from a proto IE sound, which in early languages was stable.
your problem is to prove that all comes from qen right?

your problem is not Linguistic but ethnic right?

Finally, you express your shelf, the most known anti-Greek aver in internet,
tell me do you support A kolla theories?

by what I see in all your posts and in many sites and blogs had your signature, your problem is not Albanian language but Greeks and Greece, right?

your problem is if thera and dera (door) are from same language, but thera is after dera right?

your problem is not words like
Greek εKατο Κυων κυνηγος
germanic Hundad Hunt
Latin Centum Canis
the change of K H C might be from a proto IE sound, which in early languages was stable.
your problem is to prove that all comes from qen right?

your problem is not Linguistic but ethnic right?

I usually don't deal with paranoia, but this time I have to answer your insinuation, otherwise my silence would be taken as an approval. NO I don't hate the Greek nation and I am not an individual distinguished for hating. But I can not withstand the continuous derogatory behavior toward my language and my race, especially when this is being exercised disguised under science. This is the reason I have to react in an unusual intelectual level, for a modest individual like me, carrying the job of many Albanians, who still "sleep" under the communism lethargy. Unfortunately most of the derogatory behavior comes from Greece and Serbia propaganda, which I don't confuse with Greek people, but it's excactly these people who are suffering since their state creation, a long process of brainwashing, 'feeding' them with superiority and hate against any other nation, and especially against Albanians.

Last edited:
What is an additional problem with Illyrian is the fact that the Albanian language has been noted for it's scarcity of native naval and maritime terms (instead we find borrowings, such as 'tokë' (shore), which is derived from Slavic 'tok' (to flow)). As a result, the Proto-Albanians are generally assumed to have dwelled somewhere in inland, away from the sea.

I want to put an end to this speculation once and for all. Which excactly are those maritime terms that Albanian is missing? How stupid can you be to assume and to claim it as a fact that Albanian 'tokë' (whose meaning is not 'shore' but 'earth' or 'land') derives from the Slavic 'tok"(to flow)?

m7g7b5.jpg

It's very sad that these wrong stereotypes find a lot of space on the internet.

I don't think that "Deti" derives from Thetis, primarily because I don't see how Classical Greek /tʰ/ would be rendered as /d/ into Albanian. Since Albanian didn't have any aspiration, /tʰ/ from Greek loanwords was rendered as /t/ into Albanian.

I don't see how you don't see this process can be possible. We are dealing here with voiceless-voiced pair [t d] which differ from each other only from articulatory use of voice:

2cqhf2t.jpg

and being such they replace each-other not only from language to language but even from a dialect to dialect.

For example:

god(english)--gott(german)---------------Old Norse goth, Old High German got, Old Irish guth
red(english)---rot(german)
rod(english)---rute(german)
beard(english)---bart(german)
middle(english)---meta(ital)
heart(english)---καρδιά(greek)
fidus(lat)-----peíth-omai(c.greek)
faith(english)---fidus(lat)
two(eng)-----duo(lat)
trendafil(alb-tosk)--drandafil(alb-geg)-τριανταφυλλος(greek)
[h=3][/h]

the lost of the aspirative is not a problem for this switch to occur which must have been gradual.

finalizing it, I will bring Yetos post:

Θυρα--dera--door

Alternative forms

• θύρη (Ionic)
Etymology

From Proto-Indo-European *dʰwer-. Cognates include Sanskrit द्वार् (dvār), Latin foris, Old Armenian դուռն (duṙn) and Old English duru and dor (English door)

Last edited:
2) 'Ours' in albanian is 'Ynë". 'Jonë' doesn't exist in albanian sorry and 'Jon' is dialect.

You are misleading people here, and I don't know why. You as a native Albanian speaker MUST know that
ynë and jonë
are synonyms, the first one is used when the noun is in masch. ex.--biri ynë; and the second one is used for femin. ex: toka jonë.
If you dont know this just open a dictionary online:

http://argjiro.net/fjalor/index.php

2l8yn9c.jpg

I don't see how you don't see this process can be possible. We are dealing here with voiceless-voiced pair [t d] which differ from each other only from articulatory use of voice:

2cqhf2t.jpg

and being such they replace each-other not only from language to language but even from a dialect to dialect.

For example:

god(english)--gott(german)---------------Old Norse goth, Old High German got, Old Irish guth
two(eng)-----duo(lat)

the lost of the aspirative is not a problem for this switch to occur which must have been gradual.

finalezing it, I will bring Yetos post:

Θυρα--dera--door

Alternative forms
  • θύρη (Ionic)
Etymology

From Proto-Indo-European *dʰwer-. Cognates include Sanskrit द्वार् (dvār), Latin foris, Old Armenian դուռն (duṙn) and Old English duru and dor (English door)

hm i see now you come to science,

you see by your shelf that there was an error time in some Albanians like Kantere and A kolla, better shearch will help you more to realize that it is different the Greeks and different the Greek language, same with Albania,
Faith has nothing to do with science,
your faith about some things does mean that things are like these,
besides I am tired of all these who every 10-20 years come out and say para-science as science scenario,
don't worry we have some in Greek tv also,
para-science is selling, much more than science,

and I repeat,
I don't know if Thera or Dera is a loan word or an exelixis of a mother IE language,
but I prefer to search instead to write that Thera θυρα is after Albanian Dera so Albanians speak Homeric and Greeks not, like A Kolla and some others (find them in youtube)

I want to put an end to this speculation once and for all. Which excactly are those maritime terms that Albanian is missing? How stupid can you be to assume and to claim it as a fact that Albanian 'tokë' (whose meaning is not 'shore' but 'earth' or 'land') derives from the Slavic 'tok"(to flow)?

It's very sad that these wrong stereotypes find a lot of space on the internet.

It's not a "wrong stereotype" as you like to call it. If you have a better etymology for Albanian "tokë" (or suggest cognates for the word in other Indo-European languages), I'd like to hear them instead of your attempts to insult me or other board members.

For example:

two(eng)-----duo(lat)
trendafil(alb-tosk)--drandafil(alb-geg)-τριανταφυλλος(greek)

finalizing it, I will bring Yetos post:

Θυρα--dera--door

Alternative forms

• θύρη (Ionic)
Etymology

What I find entertaining about your post is that you just posted examples of clear sound correspondence, as well as associated (regular) sound shifts without admitting that they exist. There's a few outliers of course (for example: the English word 'faith' is clearly a loanword - it doesn't correspond regularly via Proto-Germanic to the Latin word). But, you can evidently see the effect of the High German consonant shift with English/German cognates:

(English) - (German)
god - Gott
red - Rot
rod - Rute
beard - Bart
middle - Mitte
heart - Herz
two - zwei

I could go on and add other examples:

apple - Apfel
(to) tap - zapfen
(to) tie - ziehen
hate - Hass
kettle - Kessel
wit - Wissen

As you can see, the "weird theories with strange sound shifts" as you called them earlier evidently work because the sounds correspond perfectly regularly to each other despite having clearly different values. I'm pretty sure you can do the same just as regularly if you compare Gheg and Tosk dialects in Albanian. I might also complement the list with non-Germanic words (to take some examples you brought up earlier - Greek "cardia" for the pair "heart" - "Herz", or Latin "duo" for the pair "two" - "zwei").

hm i see now you come to science

I think it will be you now to understand what is the real meaning of the science. Just keep reading.

better shearch will help you more to realize that it is different the Greeks and different the Greek language

I can't agree more with you. The Greek language wasn't the vernacular one of the so called Hellenes on the first place.

same with Albania,

I am not sure about that...actually Albanian language has been the vernacular language of the Albanian race all along. There is nothing else to identify better with Albanians but their language.

and I repeat,
I don't know if Thera or Dera is a loan word or an exelixis of a mother IE language,
but I prefer to search instead to write that Thera θυρα is after Albanian Dera so Albanians speak Homeric and Greeks not, like A Kolla and some others (find them in youtube)

I don't know you, but I am sure that the so called "Classical Greek"(which I beleive is at least 1000 years younger from what is a dominant trend in opinion about its age) bears many Albanian words in an earlier status. And one of them is excactly the word θύρη which was pronounced: tʰyrë or t-hyrë, where y is pronounced like in German or French.

Then let's look at the definition of the door:

door [dɔː] n

2. a doorway or entrance to a room or building

Since ancient times the general idea for the door has been like an entrance, or a door is used to enter inside the .......
Now let's look what Albanian language uses for that:

51q8hv.jpg

and obviously like in English that 'entrance' comes from the verb 'to enter' in Albanian it does to:

të hyj-----> hyrje
Evidently the "Greek" word tʰyrë(t-hyrë) is very similar graphicaly to the Albanian 'hyrje' or its participle: (të) hyrë:

16iryq1.jpg

which semantically describes what a door serves for:

2qlzknl.jpg

TO ENTER

(për) të hyrë~ t'hyrë~tʰyrë(θύρη)

I think it will be you now to understand what is the real meaning of the science. Just keep reading.

I can't agree more with you. The Greek language wasn't the vernacular one of the so called Hellenes on the first place.

I am not sure about that...actually Albanian language has been the vernacular language of the Albanian race all along. There is nothing else to identify better with Albanians but their language.

I don't know you, but I am sure that the so called "Classical Greek"(which I beleive is at least 1000 years younger from what is a dominant trend in opinion about its age) bears many Albanian words in an earlier status. And one of them is excactly the word θύρη which was pronounced: tʰyrë or t-hyrë, where y is pronounced like in German or French.

Then let's look at the definition of the door:

Since ancient times the general idea for the door has been like an entrance, or a door is used to enter inside the .......
Now let's look what Albanian language uses for that:

51q8hv.jpg

and obviously like in English that 'entrance' comes from the verb 'to enter' in Albanian it does to:

të hyj-----> hyrje
Evidently the "Greek" word tʰyrë(t-hyrë) is very similar graphicaly to the Albanian 'hyrje' or its participle: (të) hyrë:

16iryq1.jpg

which semantically describes what a door serves for:

2qlzknl.jpg

TO ENTER

(për) të hyrë~ t'hyrë~tʰyrë(θύρη)

hahaha

funny isn't it
you say hyre but you not say ερχου (order of ερχω-μαι)

I will just repeat what Erasmus said, but sorry I can't agree with family heart above science.

I wonder how much above we put nationalism against science sometimes.

Zeus, do I get this right and you say that:

- Without any evidence, you claim that Albanian is the original, unchanged and uncorruptable Indo-European language.

I would like to discuss a little bit about Albanian language, and its relationship to the so called PIE, which in my opinion is not only a hypothetical language, but also wrongly reconstructed, since not all Europian languages were taken into consideration during this reconstruction, and especially language like Albanian which is one of the few that has followed a clear natural phonetical and lexical development and has not undergone "language purifications" or scholastic standartizations, like the most of other now spoken European ones, until at least lately.

- You claim that Greek and Latin are "invented" languages and that Latin is a descendant of the former (which can be easily demonstrated to be non-workable):

Latin(and its early Eastern form, the so called "Greek") language is a language of scholasticism, which was built on the first place for liturgical and writing purposes, and 'borrowed' lexicon from natural languages in abundance, recycling back to the original languages terminology of development, liturgical, scientific and technological character, but NOT basic words, and especially not totally replacing the native words of the everyday life. The word "qen" in Albanian, is one of them, and was in existencelong before the creation of two forms of the sacred language: Eastern Roman(Greek) and Wester Roman(Latin). Apperantly it is the other way around, an early form of a similar language like Albanian, furnished the "Lingua Franca" with natural words on the first place, and to me the word 'qen' is one of them.

- You claim that the comparative method is essentially nonsense (doubtful considering how well it works and how universally it's applicable) and instead postulate that words in all other Indo-European languages can be "magically" dismantled via Albanian. You also consider your own method "more convincing":

I can not agree more with you, but differently from you I use the comparative method, in a very convincing and reliable way than these weird theories with strange sound shifts. This is the real path

- Now you apparently imply that the ancient Greeks actually spoke Albanian as a vernacular language (something that is both untestable, and is in fact based on the ad-hoc premise that all written evidence must be ignored):

The Greek language wasn't the vernacular one of the so called Hellenes on the first place.

To me, it appears that all your "hypotheses" revolve around forgone conclusions as well as your your own personal declarations, namely that Albanian must be the center and source of absolutely everything. It is in obvious violation of Occam's Razor, and it is pseudoscience of the worst kind. No offense, but from my perspective, you might as well be trying to sell us Creationism, Flat Earth, Lysenkoism or Planet Nibiru.

Zeus, do I get this right and you say that:

- Without any evidence, you claim that Albanian is the original, unchanged and uncorruptable Indo-European language.

I have never claimed that, what I claimed is that Albanian has a long vernacular history, and bears better than any other European language the features of a vernacular primordial mother language.

- You claim that Greek and Latin are "invented" languages and that Latin is a descendant of the former (which can be easily demonstrated to be non-workable):

They are the languages of the same theocrats, used for liturgical, writing and administrative purposes on the first place. They are scholastized written languages developed and standartized ex-cathedra but using the lexicon from the local vernacular dialects and such they are taken/confused for the language of the people.

- You claim that the comparative method is essentially nonsense (doubtful considering how well it works and how universally it's applicable) and instead postulate that words in all other Indo-European languages can be "magically" dismantled via Albanian. You also consider your own method "more convincing":

Comparative method for example:

h1eg’hs<<-----jashtë--(out)
h2eh1treh4<<-----vatër----(hearth)

brings you nowhere. It doesn't tell you nothing about the ethymology of the word, and instead of suggesting simpler structure for the mother primitive roots, it suggest a very complex ones, like in this ex:

kagh<-----ke----(have)
or
h3ok’w<----sy

when our expectation are that for word of such a simple structure c-v type to have originated from a simpler or equal one.

Continues...

- Now you apparently imply that the ancient Greeks actually spoke Albanian as a vernacular language (something that is both untestable, and is in fact based on the ad-hoc premise that all written evidence must be ignored):

Before answering the question I would like you to define what do you understand with "Ancient Greeks", and after that I would like to know what do you define as 'vernacular Ancient Greek', and if you have proofs for that what makes it different from the 'New Testament' language.

To me, it appears that all your "hypotheses" revolve around forgoneconclusions as well as your your own personal declarations, namely that Albanian must be the center and source of absolutely everything. It is in obvious violation of Occam's Razor, and it is pseudoscience of the worst kind. No offense, but from my perspective, you might as well be trying to sell us Creationism, Flat Earth, Lysenkoism or Planet Nibiru.

Nothing to answer there. This is your own assumption that I look as a diversion, although I gave you no reason for that.

Now let's go back to square one, which language from the following should be considered Satem/Centum?:

English------------Albanian

song--------------këngë(kangë-geg)
city---------------qytet

I have never claimed that, what I claimed is that Albanian has a long vernacular history, and bears better than any other European language the features of a vernacular primordial mother language.

They are the languages of the same theocrats, used for liturgical, writing and administrative purposes on the first place. They are scholastized written languages developed and standartized ex-cathedra but using the lexicon from the local vernacular dialects and such they are taken/confused for the language of the people.

brings you nowhere. It doesn't tell you nothing about the ethymology of the word, and instead of suggesting simpler structure for the mother primitive roots, it suggest a very complex ones, like in this ex:

kagh<-----ke----(have)
or
h3ok’w<----sy

when our expectation are that for word of such a simple structure c-v type to have originated from a simpler or equal one.

Continues...

again funny,
Just tell the people who read here

WHO IS MOST POSSIBLE TO BE CONFUSED AND QUIDED AWAY FROM PROTO SOUNDS?

The one who has wrtten speech?
or the one who has not?

comparing Greek and Latin who change to Modern Greek and Italian by people who also had schools and written speech so not to be confused or driven away from original sounds

and you are telling us that modern Albanian are PIE and did not change in History with less than 2/3 of written speech cause they had family Hearth?

Not even Henry Kissinger would dream of a theory like that

May I remind you that linguists found a Rumeyika language in the mountains of Pontus that is the most near to Homer's language of all modern IE languages and even has elements which connects it to Aryan
search Sitaridou work, soon going to be published,

for you info watch the video

it is only spoken by 5000 people mainly old who never wend to school, due to change of population and Turkish education
at least Linguistacally it is considered the most ancient IE language that is spoken today,

No Need more, I am not forced to defend Greek language in a post about Albanian language which is precious and must be searched, but surely not with your methods

for your information searchers of Greek language search in kallasha Italy Cyprus Pontic mountains Ucraine Georgia cause they kept sounds and forms that are not spoken today in Greece mainly due to Romanisation Thracianization and Slavic influence of Greek language in today Greece.
is not Family Hearth?

yet all spotted population kept parts and not the whole
but by comparing parts we find the whole,

What evidence do you have for that? I'm still under the impression that this is your forgone conclusion.

You keep using the word "theocrats". Why do you ignore that the Greek and Latin alphabets were in used for many centuries before the emergence of Christianity? Why do you ignore that neither the Roman Republic, nor the Hellenistic successor states to Alexander's empire, nor the city states of the archaic period were "theocracies". Likewise, what evidence do you have that the languages are "scholasticized" or "developed ex-cathedra" as you claim?

kagh<-----ke----(have)
or
h3ok’w<----sy

How does the modern meaning in Albanian tell you more about it? See, you're making a foregone conclusion again if you assume that modern Albanian is somehow more representative and more "valuable" in terms of giving us more information about the original condition than other languages.

It's very clear that meanings of words change, and sometimes it's hard to discern the original meaning of the word, but to me it makes more sense to look at various languages across the board and try to discern what the various reflexes have in common rather than arbitrarily pick one modern language and attempt to "dismantle" words in other languages that are clearly no compound words. And I think it should give you a pause to realize that your method is utterly non-applicable for non-Indo-European languages (it really works only on Indo-European languages, and it works only on the premise that Albanian represents the original condition).

Continues...

See, this is where you make a foregone conclusion: why do you have the premise that the ancestral language must have been more simple? Why is it our expectation that the ancestral language must have had a more simple structure? I can offhand think of four living languages (all in the Caucasus) that have a phonology that is similarly complex or greater than standard reconstructed Proto-Indo-European, including Abkhaz, Chechen, Georgian and most notably Ubykh. If you want other parts of the world, I'd suggest Burushaski, or perhaps the Salish languages. Just because Albanian is relatively simple compared to other Indo-European languages doesn't automatically mean it's more representative of the original condition. In fact, there's a lot of reasons to assume that it isn't:

- Latvian and Lithuanian have both a considerably more complex grammar than Albanian (bear in mind that Albanian lacks an instrumental and locative case) and they are both languages that are attested only relatively late. In fact, both have the earliest literature later than Albanian.

- Avestan and Sanskrit, the literature languages of ancient Persia and India have both a similar grammar (both have eight grammatical cases: nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, instrumental, ablative, vocative, locative) to the Baltic languages mentioned above.

- Likewise, for example, Russian has six cases (it's lacking the vocative and ablative).

- I might also mention Celtiberian and Gaulish, which (although rather fragmentarily attested) are also two ancient languages with a grammar more complex than Albanian: Gaulish had seven cases (lacking an ablative), Celtiberian had at least six (it may have lacked an instrumental and a vocative).

- In contrast, English is evidently a very simplified languages, both compared against other Germanic languages (German has four cases - nominative, dative, accusative, genitive while English has effectively made completely away with cases except what you might consider a vestigial genitive) and against other Indo-European languages (for comparison, German lacks ablative, instrumental, vocative and locative). We also have the attestation of the Anglo-Saxon language which shows us that English at a point had a considerably more complex morphology than today.

So, no matter how we turn it, we have both ancient and modern languages that are clearly more complex morphology than Albanian. By the authority of what evidence do you argue then that Albanian is more representative of the original condition?

Last edited:
Before answering the question I would like you to define what do you understand with "Ancient Greeks", and after that I would like to know what do you define as 'vernacular Ancient Greek', and if you have proofs for that what makes it different from the 'New Testament' language.

I'll ask you a better question that will get straight to the point: do you believe in historical revisionism?

Nothing to answer there. This is your own assumption that I look as a diversion, although I gave you no reason for that.

Well, you should answer it. You're not the first Albanophile (I think that is a neutral word to use in this context) to come here and try to tell us that Linguistics for the past 150+ years "got it all wrong" about the Indo-European languages and that Albanian is the primordial Indo-European language, and words in all other Indo-European languages can be somehow magically dismantled using Albanian. All this appears for me to be based on this unwarranted presupposition that Albanian must somehow be special. What I do not understand is the motivation for all this. Why all this effort?

again funny,
Just tell the people who read here

WHO IS MOST POSSIBLE TO BE CONFUSED AND QUIDED AWAY FROM PROTO SOUNDS?

The one who has wrtten speech?
or the one who has not?

comparing Greek and Latin who change to Modern Greek and Italian by people who also had schools and written speech so not to be confused or driven away from original sounds

and you are telling us that modern Albanian are PIE and did not change in History with less than 2/3 of written speech cause they had family Hearth?

Not even Henry Kissinger would dream of a theory like that

Yetos, I must ask you to stop with this baiting, it's entirely uncalled for.

As a starter, could i get like a single text of Gheg Albanian, pre-WWII (or after) text where qiell is written as çiel? I'd like to see that...

Here it is, from Pietro Bogdano 1685

E kü krue i giaλè, e ketè tè kjanè tè amèsciuescim pèr tè gni mendè ansctè Hüji krijues', i t' pamet', e t' pa pamet, i naltè pèr mbij giξξè Cuppètè chieλèt, i pusctuescim, i mèscèrierscim, i mirè, i derejtè, i maξ pa massè, anè, e skagn. Jetet' sè jetèsè, e per jetètè jetèsè ti je Hüj. . Unè jam, aj chi jam; e aj chi ansctè, dèrgoj mue

Transcription

E ky krue i gjalle e kete të q'jane te amëshueshim per te nji mende anshte Hyji krijues i t'pamet, e t'pa pamet, i nalte per mbij gjithe kupet e çiellët, i pushtueshim, i mëshirueshim, i mire, i drejte, i madh pa masë, anë e skanj..................

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 302264 times.

Back