Tautalus

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Portuguese
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2-M223 / I-FTB15368
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b2
The conflict between Palestinians and Jews is deeply rooted in both groups historical ties to the land.
Both Palestinians and Jews have thousands of years of history in the Levant region, a fact that is often denied by some advocates on both sides.
This denial causes both Palestinians and Jews to question the other's authenticity as natives and accuse each other of using false claims to justify their presence.
However, a 2020 study (The Genomic History of the Bronze Age Southern Levant) revealed that both Jews and Palestinians share a significant portion of their ancestry with ancient DNA samples from the region dating back over 3,000 years.
Both groups have deep cultural and ancestral ties to the Southern Levant, with their origins traced back thousands of years.
Accepting these historical facts and acknowledging the shared ancestry can be a small first step to unravelling this complex conflict.
To have any hope of resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, it is crucial for both sides to acknowledge each other's deep historical roots and inherent right to self-determination in the region, fostering mutual understanding and respect.

Article from National Geographic about the Canaanites DNA
https://www.nationalgeographic.co.u...-canaanites-lives-on-in-modern-arabs-and-jews

Razib Khan speaking about the Canaanite origins.

The Phoenicians, who are also Canaanites as well, live on through the modern day Lebanese people too.

If we go back in time, both the Philistines (the name that gave rise to Palestine) and the people of Judea are native to the area, so the ideal would be for both sides to reach a consensus and understand each other.

If I'm not mistaken when the Romans controlled the area there was a massive revolt. When the Romans won they renamed the province Palaestina after the Philistines to spite the Jews. The Romans during this time sacked the Temple in Jerusalem and used the goods to fund the construction of the Colosseum in Rome. It's theorized that the Philistines were one of the sea peoples (Sherden, Shekelesh, Peleset, Tjekker etc.) the ancient Egyptians wrote about during the late bronze age collapse. Philistine is believed to derive from Peleset.

The Philistines were from Crete and were Mycenaean-like. ASH068 is a "pure" Philistine, and it is shown in a past DNA study that the Philistines mixed with the native Levantines and were absorbed into them over time.

The story of the peopling(s) of these lands is so complicated, and this since so long ago...
And Jews sects fanatics fought one anoher so often without help of foreigners (as did and do still Muslims, as did Christians, shortly said all the religiious extremists)... Sure they had some shared ancestors; when you see Arabs named as one Abdel Ben Youssef Ben Yacoub who obliged Maghreb Jews to wear some specific colour of Jelaba: was he not some kind of Josephson Jacobson??? LOL?

The Palestinians are named after the Philistines, but the Philistines came from the eastern Mediterranean, the Aegean and Crete, as Jovialis said. They were part of the Sea peoples, as mentioned by qh777, who invaded the region of the Canaanites. They were one of the reasons for the collapse of the Late Bronze Age. They were a minority and were later absorbed into the local population. Palestinians derive most of their ancestry from the Canaanites (or related peoples), not from the Philistines.

C5XbpmK.jpg

Last edited:
The Philistines were from Crete and were Mycenaean-like. ASH068 is a "pure" Philistine, and it is shown in a past DNA study that the Philistines mixed with the native Levantines and were absorbed into them over time.
Yes that’s what I’ve gathered.

Jews arrived much later to Palestinia and have no continuity with the ancient population that lived there. They came there when the area was majority Arab and Muslim. After World War II 700,000 Palestinians were expelled in order to make room for a Jewish state. And the torture continues. Israel is a colonial, terrorist, apartheid state backed up by the United States, another country controlled by Jews. And I don't agree with Hamas or the crimes they commit.

The Palestinians are named after the Philistines, but the Philistines came from the eastern Mediterranean, the Aegean and Crete, as Jovialis said. They were part of the Sea peoples, as mentioned by qh777, who invaded the region of the Canaanites. They were one of the reasons for the collapse of the Late Bronze Age. They were a minority and were later absorbed into the local population. Palestinians derive most of their ancestry from the Canaanites (or related peoples), not from the Philistines.

C5XbpmK.jpg
100% correct. I watch 1 week ago One history documentary on history Channel talk about the sea peoples and the relation with the Philistines.

Jews arrived much later to Palestinia and have no continuity with the ancient population that lived there. They came there when the area was majority Arab and Muslim. After World War II 700,000 Palestinians were expelled in order to make room for a Jewish state. And the torture continues. Israel is a colonial, terrorist, apartheid state backed up by the United States, another country controlled by Jews. And I don't agree with Hamas or the crimes they commit.

Arabs = ancient Levantines and majority Muslim (aka 7th century A.D.) ?

Does not compute.

This is one of those discussions I rather like to stay away from but nonetheless:
Palestinians are largely the descendants of early medieval Arab immigrants to the Levant. Equating them with “Philistines” is highly incorrect and is not based on any scientific facts. I am more interested in the existence of native southeastern European lineages among Ashkenazi Jews and how they entered the Jewish ethnicity. Which can be considered European converts and which can possibly be traced back to the European DNA of the so-called “Sea Peoples”?

From a population genetics perspective, Palestinians arouse the same interest in me as Slavs in southeastern Europe, namely none. Clear case of predominantly medieval immigrant descendants.

This conflict cannot be justified and solved with historical and religious arguments. The two-state solution is not a matter of the Bible or genetic data. The Ashkenazim may have some deep paternal roots in the disputed region but they cannot claim to be Semites or make an exclusive claim to said region. Palestinian Arabs are not the Philistines but certainly more rooted in the area than European Jews. There should be enough space for both peoples and the only path to peace is the path forward. The Israel/Palestine conflict is a problem rooted in the 20th century and this is as far as we can go into the past.

This being said, I don't know much about the history of the Levant. It's fascinating to read more about the European origins of the Philistines as one of the "sea peoples." The samples discovered during the excavations in Ashkelon in 2016 revealed the later Philistines were not too different from other Levantines. But the aDNA of the earliest samples matches with the Cretans, ancient Iberians and modern Sardinians. The pictogram on the Phaistos Disc from the Minoan Bronze Age is another hint to their Cretan origins. It shows a headgear similar to the one attributed to the Peleset on the reliefs in the funerary temple of Ramses III. The tablets that were discovered in Ashkelon in 2007 bear similarities to the Cypro-Minoan syllabary.

It's amazing how an ethnonym can go through so many transformations.

in israel the palestinian christians
might be indeed 100% levantine
since the palestinian christians contrary to muslim palestinains were isolated group who were much less
effected by the 7th century arab conquests from the arabian peninsuila:unsure:

p.s

i can only say that i hope for peace
but the savage attack on us was the most brutal attack
on jews since the holocaust i am still in shocked from the stories
what my government will do about it is another story
and i wasn't born yesterday i know people hate jews
and last thing:
we are not going anywhere ( we have no place to go)
like biden said in his speech what golda meir told him

Last edited:

Currently some mixed reviews, no doubt due to early glitches. Rome II was initially horrendous, but years of updates and patches made it a master peice.

I've bought it myself. I've asked for something like this from Total War for a long time. My big problem is my wish didn't completely come true. I wanted a Bronze age total war with New Kingdom Egypt being the main showcase faction like Rome was in Total War Rome II. I wanted all of Mesopotamia, Anatolia, Greece/ South Balkans, Italy/Sicily/Sardinia, and more of North Africa; it's a bit of a stretch but I'd like a bit of central Europe to fight the Hallstatt Celts (or play as them),the Indus Valley civilization, and Elam. I'd like to have had this game start at about the beginning of the New Kingdom in Egypt. Playing as Egypt, a player would have to play as Ahmose and kick out the Hyksos, while dealing with the Nubians to the south.
Some of those regions will be added I'm sure in future DLCs for Pharaoh, but sucks that it wasn't in the base game.

If I'm not mistaken when the Romans controlled the area there was a massive revolt. When the Romans won they renamed the province Palaestina after the Philistines to spite the Jews. The Romans during this time sacked the Temple in Jerusalem and used the goods to fund the construction of the Colosseum in Rome. It's theorized that the Philistines were one of the sea peoples (Sherden, Shekelesh, Peleset, Tjekker etc.) the ancient Egyptians wrote about during the late bronze age collapse. Philistine is believed to derive from Peleset.
Nope. The name Palestine is mentioned in herodotus 5 centuries before such events. It is just that jews like to twist words and truths.
Herodotus provides the first historical reference clearly denoting a wider region than biblical Philistia, as he applied the term to both the coastal and the inland regions such as the Judean Mountains and the Jordan Rift Valley
The etymology most likely comes from Pelesheth "Philistia, land of the Philistines.
The jews claim that the Philistines disappeared and the people inhabitting the roman province named palestina-syria were green extraterrestrials that fell from the sky.

This thread has been viewed 6957 times.

Back