The Presidential Debates

Who gave a better performance at the debates?

• Bush

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Kerry

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters

Brooker

Anjin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Mainly: Italian, German, Scottish, Irish
I was skeptical that the debates would be informative because the candidates weren't allowed to debate eachother directly, but, after watching it, I thought it went well and the candidates had a good opportunity to respond to eachother's points.

Kerry seemed very confident and spoke intelligently. He also managed to put Bush on the spot several times forcing Bush to be on the defensive (which he seemed to be for most of the debate). I wish Kerry had answered Bush's claims that he flip-flops, but Kerry did say that he has made a few mistakes in the past and then changed his course to correct those mistakes (something Bush seems unwilling to do). Bush seemed very flustered throughout the debate showing his tension in his body language and facial expressions.

I can just imagine that when Bush says something like, "America must remain on the offensive," that that must give everyone else in the world a cold shiver.

It seems that Kerry's performance was much more favorable than Bush's and the polls seem to have moved slightly in Kerry's favor since then.

MANSFIELD, United States (AFP) - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites), buoyed by a strong showing in his televised debate with George W. Bush, has recaptured a small lead in their White House race, a Newsweek poll showed.

The survey, the first released on the race since the debate Thursday, gave Kerry a 49-46 percent edge over Bush among registered voters in a two-way matchup, and a 47-45 percent margin in a contest also involving independent Ralph Nader

Its poll showed 61 percent of those who watched the showdown thought the Massachusetts senator came off better and 19 percent felt the Republican president had prevailed.

The Democrats have hailed the debate as a turning point in the campaign after weeks of Republican attacks on Kerry's command capacities, Vietnam war experiences and record as an alleged flip-flopper that had him on the ropes.

Full story...
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1521&ncid=696&e=10&u=/afp/20041002/pl_afp/us_vote

Yes, I just got my hands on the debate here in Japan last night. I was impressed with Kerry's performance.

You have a good point about Kerry's response to Bush's accusations of flip-flopping. I think he took care of this best in his bit about confidence. You can be confident, but that doesn't make you right. You need to be able to asess your mistakes and correct them, rather than blindly clinging to the convictions that landed you in the mess you're in now. But when Kerry finally got around to saying this, he was on a 30 second rebuttle, and I don't think he had the time to state it as firmly or as elegantly as I would have liked him to. Still, his composure was 5 star next to Bush.

I wanted to see Kerry eat the pres. alive... I think he definitely came out on top... but (in my optimism) I had higher hopes...

I missed seeing the debate live, but after seeing clips on the news and from what I've been reading it seems like Kerry made Bush look like an idiot.

There are a few things that have struck me. It didn't sound like Bush was able to defend his policies at all and just reverted to the importance of looking tough and showing leadership whenever pressed.

One thing that has made me laugh is that Bush has been attacking Kerry's foreign policy plans, saying something along the lines of "International meetings and conferences? They don't work. I know, as president I've been to lots of them and they don't produce any results." I would be tempted to respond by saying something along the lines of "Of course they don't produce any results when YOU, the most unpopular man on the planet, go. But maybe a man like Kerry, a leader people in other countries can actually respect, could make them work in the same way that every American president in recent years was able to make them work until YOU came along, jackass!" But of course the democrats can't say anything like that because they are afraid Bush will use it agianst them as proof of their un-Americanness or something. Still, I thought it was quite frustrating the way Bush was effectively able to use his own incompetence in dealing with the international community as an asset against Kerry and get away with it. Just boggles the mind.

It's amazing how Republicans often try to make their biggest weaknesses look like their biggest strengths. :eek:kashii:

There was the part when Bush responded to a question about Iraq, and he said "the enemy attacked us." Kerry the pointed out that Osama Bin Laden attacked the US and not Saddam Hussein.

I though Kerry handled the debate pretty well. I almost feel sorry for Bush. Almost.

I also saw it, (not live though) and must agree that Kerry seemed more confident than Bush. I really like the comment Kerry had regarding Bush's administration which consisted of 4 words: "more of the same".... :D Funny comment.

I found this unflattering picture of Bush from the tv debate, (of course, this picture was taken during the "split screens," when Bush was not supposed to be on TV while Kerry was talking).

0410011651295804_d0dce454.jpg

What do you think about politicians' unflattering behaviour / facial expressions during the "split screens"?
Is it important?
Was the Tv network fair showing it?
Or is it simply fun/entertaing to watch the reaction of the opponent while the other is "on air"?
(or thought the other was "on air")..

More on the split screens form the Tv debate from Reuters here: http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=595185&section=news

Miss_apollo7 said:
What do you think about politicians' unflattering behaviour / facial expressions during the "split screens"?
Is it important?
Or is it simply fun/entertaing to watch the reaction of the opponent while the other is "on air"?

That's silly. Everyone else in the audience get's to see Bush's face. Why should his odd/incompetent looks be accessible to the priveleged few who sit in on the debate? They showed just as many splits of Kerry, who took notes and looked to be listening carefully while considering his responses.

My 2 cents.

chiquiliquis said:
That's silly. Everyone else in the audience get's to see Bush's face. Why should his odd/incompetent looks be accessible to the priveleged few who sit in on the debate? They showed just as many splits of Kerry, who took notes and looked to be listening carefully while considering his responses.

My 2 cents.

hear hear!
stupid people will look stupid during the split screens, not so stupid people will look less stupid, even when they're allegedly off-air...

I love uttering my opinion on a poll.....I voted for Kerry, he seemed more professional to me.. :cool:
Hehe...I am looking forward to the tv debate with the Vice presidents more than ever, as I think Edwards is really really nice to look at :blush: (I know he is married and much older than me, and I like his southern dialect...) and his opinions are more like mine, which is of course the most important thing... :)

An Edwards Fan am I. :)

Last edited:
uh, one thing to remember...the poll says debates (plural) really you can't place a vote now since only one debate has been held! :p Though it is likely that Kerry will win the debates anyway you should really hold your vote until all is said and done, then make your decision based on the overall performance!

Miss_apollo7 said:
An Edwards Fan am I. :)

Me too, Miss apollo. I'm originally from North Carolina, so I'm a little biased. ;)

I think that Kerry put up quite a good performance :haihai:

Miss_apollo7 said:
0410011651295804_d0dce454.jpg

Is it important?

More on the split screens form the Tv debate from Reuters here: http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=595185&section=news
Just his usual retarded look :D
Why should it be unfair? The audience sees him like that as well.

With that expression, I'm just waiting for this to happen: (see attachment)

haha!! Lina!!! That picture of Bush is soo funny...!!! :D

I am an EDWARDS FAN!!! (I love his southern drawl) :lol: :D He is good-looking too!

Brooker said:
It's amazing how Republicans often try to make their biggest weaknesses look like their biggest strengths. :eek:kashii:

It is certainly amazing, and I would even go so far as to say genius (well, if they can pull it off). It's quite an interesting strategy, really.

Miss_apollo7 said:
I am an EDWARDS FAN!!! (I love his southern drawl) :lol: :D He is good-looking too!

:D

and he's helping cheney dig himself into a hole right now!

Cheney is obviously more intelligent, confident, and well-spoken than Bush. Every time I see Cheney speak (which isn't often because he likes to fly below the radar) it becomes more and more apparent that he's a huge driving force behind everything that's going on right now. Although I whole-heartedly disagreed with almost everything he said, he still put on a much better performance than Bush.

Edwards did a very good job of stating his case logically and putting Cheney on the defensive. But Cheney defended himself. He's no dummy, he's just misguided. Neither of them really responded to eachothers' points and they just kind of talked past eachother and said what they wanted people to hear.

I agreed with Edwards much more, but both of them put on an equally good "performance". It was entertaining to watch.

One thing that I can't stand....

is that these guys are practicing for these debates! These guys want to be the leaders of the U.S. and they have to practice? Why can't they just show up and answer whatever questions are thrown at them? That is what I want in a President, not someone who has to practice fabricated answers! This is directed at all four, Bush, Cheney, Kerry, and Edwards.

The other thing that I can't stand is that they want to use their military service to their advantage. Well, just because you were a Lt. for a short span of your career doesn't win points with me! I'm still waiting for the day that a true "worker" and not just a politician is able to live the "American Dream" and win the election...sadly I don't think that will ever really happen!

Poll: No clear winner in second debate

Here's a news update on the second Presidential Debate....

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (CNN) -- The day after the second presidential debate, an initial poll indicates viewers were split on the performance of President Bush and Sen. John Kerry in Friday night's face-off.

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll taken right after the town hall meeting-style debate found respondents giving a slight, statistically insignificant edge to Kerry over Bush: 47 percent of them went for Kerry and 45 percent for Bush.

I didn't really think Bush did all that well, he just wasn't as bad as he was during the first debate. It seemed like he was still on the defensive most of the time and Kerry was in control. Bush even got so flustered at one point that he spoke out of turn. It seems like people liked his performance better this time just because he was more tough. Why do people like that so much? It takes more than just being tough, you have to be smart too.

full story...
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/09/debate.main/index.html

This thread has been viewed 1699 times.

Back