The US is a rotting husk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor

?ςȊO?l
Reaction score
I look down the street, and I see fake people putting on fake smiles. I see a man give his wife a kiss before he goes to work, when he may just be cheating on her. I have kids who go to school, and then sell marijuana afterwards. Students buy the "right" clothing to fit in, and those who don't are looked down upon. If you are not a part of this machine, then you are against it. Isn't that the attitude that most americans have? We are better then the rest, and we can do what we want? What kind of bullshit is that? The US is eating away at itself. It's a spreading epidemic with no cure. Ignorance to your surroundings is not the answer. Understanding what we did to get to this point in society is. We can't blame it on drugs, terrorists, or hillbillies shopping at Walmart(American retail store). Shall we talk about this?

I can blame this on religion in more then one way, but I will try not to in this thread. That's right, or is it wrong? Is not giving the answer I want wrong, or is it nice to those who think differently then me? It's all about a point of view. Your son could be the best kid in the world to you, but during lunch he may beat up weaker classmates for social standing. We all know social standing matters in this messed up world. Now let's take a kid that's been made fun of for 10 years for the sake of just harassing someone for laughs. He brings a gun to school, and he becomes the psycho. We can blame it on Marilyn Manson(Rock band). He kills himself, and we all feel bad. Isn't society just a cute little mind game?

The answer my friend is salvation through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Transformation of lives. Throwing off the old self- becoming alive, redeemed, forgiven.

Or a total marxist revolution...

Welcome to reality my freind, will you be staying long? :blush:

There is one cure for this though--death.

It's the natural process of societal decay, culminating in the end of the decaying civilization. Like people, civilizations grow, become old, decay, and die. Some lead good lives, some lead bad lives, and most are more ambiguous.

What suprises me is how long we've been holding out here--I was expecting flames and riots years ago...

...but then again, we thought the whole world was going to end back in the punk era, and we managed to pull out of that nosedive and maintain at a slower rate of decay for another two decades. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I'll live to see the end of all of this--it's not a pleasant thought.

I'm reminded of a story, where a general asks one of the samurai under his command if he knows the meaning of the curse "May you live in interesting times".

The samurai replies that he does, that it means "May you live in times of trouble."

The old general then asks the samurai if he believes it is a curse, and the samurai replies:

"No. I think it would be far worse to die in them."

Why do we always blame it on Marilyn Manson(Rock band).

He is actually pretty good!!! nothing wrong with listening to that, it's the parents!!!! they should handle their kids!

I'm afraid that what our young friend has found is not reality, but cynicism. We are all too absorbed in ourselves to understand reality; we are in a sense, asleep. That goes for you, me, the guy cheating on his wife, and the kid selling pot after school. That's not to say that consciousness is outside of our grasp, but anyone who claims to understand the true nature of reality is almost always assured to completely miss the point.

The irony is that Marilin Manson's music is actually speaking out against the very things everybody blames it for. :blush:

They aren't saying "this is cool", they're saying "this is how it is, and it sucks!"

It's like accusing "Schindler's List" of causing anti-semitism.

Reminds me of another goup, Velvet Acid Christ.

I first heard their song "Fun With Drugs" in a music video someone made and posted at google video, and I was shocked when I went to their website and some of the first words were:

"We wish to see a brighter future for nature and the human race.."

I was kinda' dissapointed, actually... XD

Marilyn Manson never promoted school shootings in his music. People accused him because they are ignorant. You look at someone who is different, take something they do, misunderstand it, and blame them for whatever you think they did.

Your 17 years old Thor, it's rather normal for someone your age to feel this way. But I guess I can understand why you feel the way you do. There's alot of problems in American society, but it can be much worse. You could be living in a country where there is a suicide bombing at least three times week. You could live somewhere in which children and people your age are becoming child soliders. (Yes, this is happening) Or you can live in a country where there's so much infantcide, because a family doesn't like the sex of the baby, so the mother either has to abort her female baby or kill her as soon as she's born.

The US has it's problems, and from living here, it would seem that things are so bad, but the situation could be much worse.

Thor said:
You look at someone who is different, take something they do, misunderstand it, and blame them for whatever you think they did.
You mean like judging people who smile insincerely, commit adultery, and sell drugs?

Thor said:
Marilyn Manson never promoted school shootings in his music. People accused him because they are ignorant. You look at someone who is different, take something they do, misunderstand it, and blame them for whatever you think they did.

So what?

Bigotry and isolationism are basic facets of human nature. Like many social animals, we establish a pack or a pecking order and agressively attack anything that doesn't fit in--especially if we feel threatened by it.

We're reacting the the dumbass parents the same way they are reacting to Marilyn Manson, and for the same reason--we feel threatened by them.

Ma Cherie said:
Your 17 years old Thor, it's rather normal for someone your age to feel this way. But I guess I can understand why you feel the way you do. There's alot of problems in American society, but it can be much worse. You could be living in a country where there is a suicide bombing at least three times week. You could live somewhere in which children and people your age are becoming child soliders. (Yes, this is happening) Or you can live in a country where there's so much infantcide, because a family doesn't like the sex of the baby, so the mother either has to abort her female baby or kill her as soon as she's born.
The US has it's problems, and from living here, it would seem that things are so bad, but the situation could be much worse.

Yeah, by the time they get to be our age, they've given up and stop trying to find a way to make things better.

I don't know whether you're just sheltered from living in Kansas, Ma Cherie, or if you just buy propaganda or turn a blind eye to things--but alot of the problems you mentioned aren't so uncommon here.

The situation could always be worse, we could be roasting in the deepest pit of hell with a pike shoved up our ass, but saying that is just ignoring the problem, not facing it honestly.

The question we should be asking is: How could it be better.

Ma Cherie said:
This thread isn't just teenage anguish being vented on a forum. Don't you think comparing the problems of this country to the problems of another would be ignoring the problems here?

Any solution begins with recognizing the problem and then getting involved. There are issues and challenges that Thor mentioned that are real and worthy of our best attention. Don't get cynical. Don't get overwhelmed. Pick one thing and do something. Nothing is ever solved when we close our eyes really tight and hope our problems go away.

On the brighter side (if you can cue the Life of Brian music) there are a lot of solid, good, positive things happening in the US. I have a great deal of hope and optomism for our future. Crime is down. The economy is solid. More people are getting educated. More people own homes. Income levels and socio economic status indicators are strong and we still tend to be upwardly mobile as a whole. Although undeniably there are many problems in our country-- there are also many good things happening.

Whats the point in talking about this?
Of course people act like this ,but they would act this way in any sort of society and I personally prefer capitalism to communism any day ;)
Although I think the US probably never heard of Ludwig Erhard....:blush:
In general anyone should be allowed to do what he wants to if he wants to wear brand clothing why not?If he doesn?t want to thats ok as well.
If your a teenager you will very probably either try to show you belong to a group by wearing a certain style or just to annoy other people so who cares?
Thats the way it was it is an if we dont turn into a collective always will be.
So dont waste your energy getting all excited about it and do something productive ;)

Rich303 said:
The nihalist speaks again !

How can anyone think ,that there is a wrong or right opinion?
If it was really right it wouldn?t be an opinion it would be a fact.
So whats the point in wasting energy discussing ,whos opinion is the "rightest" in your opinion?
You might as well try to find the biggest number there is you wont get an answer....

Thor's original post points out not only the political and economic issues we face, but also the growing sense of alienation and "fakeness" of current society. Although it is an age old sentiment- tinged with cynicism and teen angst- that persistent existential itch has definitely found new outlets with no new answers. Modern society no longer turns to ideas from religion or philosophy for answers... and so many drift: longing for significance, searching for connection, grasping for certainty and finding only the echo's of their own voice.

Maybe the whole Jesus thing I suggested is not such a bad idea after all?

If I was going to blame someone, you know who I would blame, the boomers, all the altruistic hippies that did absolutely nothing productive for the country in the sixties, then went and mortgaged the generation of their children's inheritance, nullified the worth of a degree, eradicated job security, increased the cost of owning a home ten-fold, wined about their needs as one of the most self-serving needy & greedy generations of all time (their parents actually worked hard in factory jobs, not BS jobs like "marketing", "promotion" etc... two boomer inventions)...

Now they ***** about the fact that theres nobody to take care of them in their old age and we have to spend more money on their retirement.

I like all the other aspects decried in the original post, because seriously, only hermits don't want to fit in.

Thor, I think what you described are common issues not only in USA but in many modern societies.
Think of society as a football game, you can be a spectator, and therefore find very easy to criticize, or you could be one of the players constantly busy trying to do his best for the team and been inspiring for both your team mates and spectators.

Be an inspiring example and your team mates (society) will follow.
How we got where we are ? We are only humans, unfortunately society is one of those thing that can't be prototyped before the real thing is created.
We managed to grow out of the dark age, by learning from our mistakes, we will hopefully get out of this ?gmessed out?h situation in the same way.

No matter what, people have something to complain about. Whether it's their bad hair day or just a simple smile that they think was insincere.

Everyone is ignorant to their own reality. No one in my opinion has been in touch with reality.

Just do your best to set good examples, and don't be a hypocrite. (not saying you are, just in general)

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 1102 times.

Back