qh777

Reaction score
Ethnic group
English, Scottish, Irish, French, German, Belgian
Y-DNA haplogroup
J2/J-M67/ J2a1b
mtDNA haplogroup
H/ H1/H1ao
There was a couple posts about Total War Pharaoh in another thread which was off topic. I created this thread here to discuss the game.

I've asked for something like pharaoh since Rome II came out. I am disappointed by the geographical size of the campaign map with the game. My wish for the game was at release a campaign map about the geographic range as Rome II and Atilla with Egyptians, Canaanites, Hittites, Assyrians, Mittani, Babylonia, Mycenaeans, Minoans, Libu tribes, etc. The sea peoples would be an event like the Mongols in Medieval II and some dlc ideas would be making them playable as like a horde faction, then a future dlc with Elamites added and maybe Indus valley. My hope is in the future they try a proper bronze age title like I described.

I've bought the game and here are my likes and dislikes:

I like the barter system with the economy. No currency makes sense historically because coinage wasn't developed until a few hundred years later. I still slightly prefer having currency instead of managing the resources.

I like the bronze age setting because it has never been done before in a Total War title.

I like being able to play as the ancient Egyptians in the new kingdom period at about their highest point in power. The new kingdom was in decline at this point but it's close enough.

The campaign map at release is geographically too small. The campaign map is Egypt, the western desert area of Egypt, Nubia, the Mediterranean coastline of the Levant, and central Anatolia. The map has quite a few settlements but I'd rather have all of Greece, Crete, Aegean Islands, Western Anatolia, Mesopotamia, Armenia/Caucasus, southern Italy, Sicily, and Sardinia at the minimum.

There aren't enough playable factions/ non player factions. Basically only 3 playable cultures/factions: Egyptians, Canaanites, and Hittites.
I feel like I'm fighting other Egyptians too long in the campaign when playing Egypt. In a game like this I want to be battling other civilizations

I appreciate the game using native ancient Egyptian names for Egyptian settlements such as Abdju (Abydos), Waset (Thebes), Men Nefer (Memphis) etc.

I agree that there should have been more civilisations. It would not have been difficult to add Mesopotamia, and it would have significantly improved the game. I suppose that they are keeping additional civs for future DLCs to make more money.

There was already a Total War game set in the Late Bronze Age, namely Troy, so it feels a bit like a rehash.

I agree that there should have been more civilisations. It would not have been difficult to add Mesopotamia, and it would have significantly improved the game. I suppose that they are keeping additional civs for future DLCs to make more money.

There was already a Total War game set in the Late Bronze Age, namely Troy, so it feels a bit like a rehash.
I knew about Troy, however, it didn't interest me due to the smaller geographic campaign map and tip toeing in mythology.

I was unimpressed with Troy total war too. I didn't like the fantasy aesthetic, and flirtation with mythology either.

I suppose I will pick up Pharaoh when it goes on sale.

They need to at least expand the map to include the whole central and eastern Mediterranean, so there can be a real Bronze Age Collapse type of Grand Campaign.

It has been an total failure, most of people refused to buy it, why would they? To waste their moneys on something that is not worth it? Creative Assembly has been treating historical Total War fans very badly in the last 12 years or more, anyway they failed other projects as well, I'm not even going to try it, as Total War player, maybe 2-3 years later or an cracked version, certainly not for 60 bucks.

I was unimpressed with Troy total war too. I didn't like the fantasy aesthetic, and flirtation with mythology either.

I suppose I will pick up Pharaoh when it goes on sale.

They need to at least expand the map to include the whole central and eastern Mediterranean, so there can be a real Bronze Age Collapse type of Grand Campaign.
I haven't even tried Troy but I have it on another HDD, although the music and the ambient are good, gameplay is an off, Rome 2 and Attila remain the last normal TW titles, Med2 is an masterpiece till today, Rome 1 also was great.

I haven't even tried Troy but I have it on another HDD, although the music and the ambient are good, gameplay is an off, Rome 2 and Attila remain the last normal TW titles, Med2 is an masterpiece till today, Rome 1 also was great.
I agree. Rome II and Attila are also my favourite Total Wars, but I would put Three Kingdoms third. Medieval 2 is excellent but quite old. I think that Medieval 3 is on the works, so definitely something to look forward to.

It has been an total failure, most of people refused to buy it, why would they? To waste their moneys on something that is not worth it? Creative Assembly has been treating historical Total War fans very badly in the last 12 years or more, anyway they failed other projects as well, I'm not even going to try it, as Total War player, maybe 2-3 years later or an cracked version, certainly not for 60 bucks.

I never pay the full price for PC games. It's much cheaper to buy the Steam key on Eneba, Instant Gaming, G2A, or similar websites. Just search a title on Google and click on the 'shopping' tab. Total War Pharaoh is at 36€ on Eneba, while Troy is at 8€.

I agree. Rome II and Attila are also my favourite Total Wars, but I would put Three Kingdoms third. Medieval 2 is excellent but quite old. I think that Medieval 3 is on the works, so definitely something to look forward to.

Well, the game mechanics of Medieval 2 are still better than the last modern TW's since Shogun 2, 13, 14 years passed, nearly, of course the modern engine is more "versatile" and smoother, but what Med2 offered is not comparable to the last TW games, also the MODS which basically are the game were not hardcoded as in Rome2, Attila and later games, the Total War community did more for the player fanbase of TW titles than CA in all of it's history, Med2 has wonderful mods, that teleport you to different eras, it's also much more immersive and detailed compared to other TW's, the fact is that Creative Assembly cares only about moneys and nothing else.

I never pay the full price for PC games. It's much cheaper to buy the Steam key on Eneba, Instant Gaming, G2A, or similar websites. Just search a title on Google and click on the 'shopping' tab. Total War Pharaoh is at 36€ on Eneba, while Troy is at 8€.
Neither I do, I bought TW Rome2 and Attila back in 2015 and 2016 respectively on Kinguin or G2a, not because I don't have money but because I won't spend such amount of money for an unfinished game with tons of DLC's that should be already implemented in the "vanilla" game.

Three Kingdoms was even worse than Troy and probably Pharoah, it was an unhistorical-fantasy mixed game with bad mechanics, that's what made the TW historical fanbase angry, not only the Warhammer series..

Creative Assembly sent out a survey I’m assuming to Pharaoh purchasers. Based on the questions they’re going to try to fix it. I gave some feedback that was basically what I mentioned in my original post. I forgot to mention in survey that there needed to be more playable/ non playable factions in the game.

Sea peoples campaign trailer for Pharoah: Total War!

I think I may pick it up now.

Nice! Creative Assembly dropped the price of the base game too. It's a bit of a pipe dream at this point but I'd like for them to do a content patch for Nothern Europe. Idk hard to do when at that time no specific peoples are known except broad archaeological cultures like Urnfield and Bell Beaker.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 1375 times.

Back