What is your opinion on the American military?

Hypertokyo5

~Hashi ga tsukaeru yo!~
Reaction score
Ethnic group
mexico/germany/cherokee indian/polish
I hear many different opinion on participation in the military from "It's great to fight for your country," to "IT'S JUST WRONG!" I was wondering what people thought of the American military.

-They do their duty without question.
-They fulfill a necessary role.
-They are patriotic.
-They are what any country would want their military to be.
-They deserve the respect of the American people.

It's the people who give them their orders that I take issue with. I couldn't do what they do, but understand that someone has to do it.

I agree. I want to go into the Marines and my friends don't want me to but my family(especially my dad,grandpa and uncles) are very supportive. they play a very important role in america and i believe across the globe.

Leaving aside the pros and cons of the military for a moment, your old uncle Mike would like to advise you not to let your friends live your life for you.

Thank you Brooker.
Im currently a Corporal in the USMC.
I've been here and there, and can't remember how many times, I wish I could be back at home instead of deployed in the hot, heat of Iraq, or Hot and Humid jungles on Japan.

But from a someone that is in the military, It can be good for those that show for it.
Not everybody is made to be in the military, and those that join that do not like it, are the ones that usually hate it through out their contract.

For me, it is good, I'm in tip top shape, enjoy the travels of different countries, and especially the free tuition for college (while you are still in the military). Most importantly the comradory that I have experienced in the USMC.

Believe it or not, there was a survey conducted a while ago in a few bases nation wide. Most people joined the Military to give something back for their contry after 9/11 and other for college opportunities.

I'm having a good time so far. "It's all what you make of it"
Don't let the USMC scare you...hehehe.

Semper Fi!

...with that said...I would suggest that you open up and consider more than just the Marines. While it may actually be true that they are more prestigious (debatable, but I won't argue!) ... you are also more likely to be put in the line of fire. Just something to consider. You really need to look at why you are joining...and what job you would like to do in the military. And remember one thing....while jumping out of airplanes may sound like fun, it may not pay the bills after you get out, so put a lot of thought into what career field you are interested in!

Indeed. My MOS (Military Occupational Job) is 2844/8531. The 2844, is ground communications technician. I can repair anything from HF, VHF, UHF radios, to computer systems, network systems, to Microwave relay sites.

Of course I have a high technical background now, and am considering to cross into the Blue. :) I have experienced stressed out sistuations in the Marines, and I feel I need a small breather and a family supported military, so my choice to join the Air Force is on my next enlisted.

I experienced the Marines and enjoyed it, and now it's time to think more about family matters as I am getting married June 17th :)

With that said, I think I have a good career to head into after my second enlisted. I can go into any of the Communications Job out there as a technician and probably make at least 40-60,000 a year.

Definately look into the other services and see which one is actually right for you! I have many people in the Marines telling me I should of joined the Air Force since I think I should be a pilot and am good at computers. hehe.

getting married...

-Rudel- said:
Indeed. My MOS (Military Occupational Job) is 2844/8531. The 2844, is ground communications technician. I can repair anything from HF, VHF, UHF radios, to computer systems, network systems, to Microwave relay sites.

Of course I have a high technical background now, and am considering to cross into the Blue. :) I have experienced stressed out sistuations in the Marines, and I feel I need a small breather and a family supported military, so my choice to join the Air Force is on my next enlisted.

I experienced the Marines and enjoyed it, and now it's time to think more about family matters as I am getting married June 17th :)

With that said, I think I have a good career to head into after my second enlisted. I can go into any of the Communications Job out there as a technician and probably make at least 40-60,000 a year.

Definately look into the other services and see which one is actually right for you! I have many people in the Marines telling me I should of joined the Air Force since I think I should be a pilot and am good at computers. hehe.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is so awesome! My grandma DOES NOT want me to go into the Marine Corps because she says I will get raped and that all men in the marines are shouvenist(spellcheck) pigs. It really upsets me and I don't listen to her. but I do have a question about bwt...the gas chame]ber thing...is that scary? i have watched many documentaries and I have seen that. it sure looks scary to me.

Hypertokyo5 said:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is so awesome! My grandma DOES NOT want me to go into the Marine Corps because she says I will get raped and that all men in the marines are shouvenist(spellcheck) pigs. It really upsets me and I don't listen to her. but I do have a question about bwt...the gas chame]ber thing...is that scary? i have watched many documentaries and I have seen that. it sure looks scary to me.

I wouldn't worry about the gas chamber...that is actually more funny than it is scary...as for the rape comment? That can happen in any of the services...just read the papers!

i dont know how many get drafted but i belive citizens of the us actually enlist, such as myself. i enlisted as an navy airman. but because im not really a us citizen im restricted to some jobs. thats allright though, they rush ur citizenship and i think i will be getting a diffrent job around advanced electronics.

-Rudel- said:

I used to be in military communications too. Spent four years as a radio operator in the Canadian army.

It was a good experience, but after four years I had had enough. If I was an 18 year old American today I would have serious reservations about enlisting, especially in any combat arms units. With over 1700 killed and 13,000 wounded in Iraq alone it seems like those guys are just getting treated like cannon fodder. If it was a cause I believed in I might be willing, but its pretty clear that the Iraq war right now is just going to be a long and drawn out effort to clean up a collossal mistake by Bush. Not very motivational, IMHO.

actually the navy does basically, maybe sit back and launch missle from sea. i dont know about navy casualties. any1 been in a sub before? i had 2 choices and they kinda pressured me into being one of them sub ppl. but when i think of it, i really wanna go into subs now.

lol i read somewhere, from a creditable site that says something about the US having as many aircraft carriers as the rest of the world. while china has none. how sad. but then agian y does china need them anyway?

btw i dont really care about combat, although highly apathic i will try my best to fight for my country. but im not really infantry.

I think the US military is pretty well structured and what not although i have one problem with it, that it targets and recruits the lowest social class which is usually also the least educated. I mean in my view few are the officers and what not who come from middle or upper class with high education in the military.

Theres hope

Hm well...there's nothing for me to lose. That's my reason to join when the time comes.

I dont really have an opinion about the army, because they just follow the Higher people... so more things i have to say about them!!!!

i feel sorry for this guys, to fight in a war, that is not necaserry.. and that got WAY OUT OF HAND.. and that so many military guys died already? how many is it now? 2000 in irak?

think if your son/daugther is there? how the F**k can Bush be reelected.. sorry

dutch baka said:
I dont really have an opinion about the army, because they just follow the Higher people... so more things i have to say about them!!!!

i feel sorry for this guys, to fight in a war, that is not necaserry.. and that got WAY OUT OF HAND.. and that so many military guys died already? how many is it now? 2000 in irak?

think if your son/daugther is there? how the F**k can Bush be reelected.. sorry
yes, but for those fighting in Iraq, they new teh consequences of enlisting in the military. it is not necessarilly Bush's fault... isn't that what the armed forces are for?...to protect and to serve?

Hypertokyo5 said:
yes, but for those fighting in Iraq, they new teh consequences of enlisting in the military. it is not necessarilly Bush's fault... isn't that what the armed forces are for?...to protect and to serve?

Yeah sure, you enlist to go fight for your nation if threatened and you put your life in the trust and faith of leaders who can be clear and forthcoming with you and give you valid reasons why you are in hostile territory. You don't sign up to get trapped in a place where the local people you are trying to help hate you and where you can be blown up at anytime and leave your young family back home without a father and husband or mother and wife. You serve your nation in return for certain benefits but also you need her to watch out for you, to only use you when you must be. When one enlists, one is young around 18-20 tops, and usually idealistic still not very knowledgable about the world we live in and is given some speech about serving your nation, and all these patriotic things that make you feel pround and what not, and then also when you are young there is a sense of invicibility that you won't die, it won't happen to you. All these factors are exploited in recruiting young people, especially when they come from poor backrounds and need a way out and when they are not very educated so they are more easily suseptible to methods of imposition in thought and behaviour.

This thread has been viewed 2405 times.

Back