Religion What's your religion ?

What is your religion or belief system ? (read below before voting)

• Protestant Christianity

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • Catholic Christianity

Votes: 24 11.0%
  • Other forms of Christianity

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • Islam

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Judaism

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Deism (god creator only)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Agnosticism (humans cannot know if god exist)

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Atheism (Universe=Reality, but no God) - including non-religious Buddhism

Votes: 47 21.6%
  • Mahayana Buddhism (with deities)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Sikhism

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Animism (including Shinto)

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Pantheism (God=Universe=Reality)

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Other (non listed, please specify)

Votes: 23 10.6%
  • No religion or spiritual beliefs

Votes: 28 12.8%

• Total voters
Um, yeah, Satori said it better than me. That's what I was trying to say... :note:

Actually, besides my stepmother, I had another friend who was a Jehovah's Witness. I must say, neither one of them ever tried to push their religion on me. We have always been very accepting of each other, despite the religion factor. The only time I ever clashed with either of them was when my stepmother and I got into it about my grandmother's preacher being a woman. We really got into it then. Since that time, we try really hard to not let religion come up in the conversation... :p

Nzueda,

So technically they aren't selling anything.

What they are "selling" is their religion, period. Not everyone is interested in their beliefs, and they need to respect that.

Sharing the good news is very important because Jesus commanded it

Maybe to you, but not to me and to others. Personally, I don't care what Jesus commanded or did not command. I don't believe that the man called Jesus was anything more than that--just a man. He's not important at all to me, other than knowing that he traveled and studied Buddhism and later spoke to some followers about that, who later misinterpreted his words. Who he really was and what his teachings were has been debated for many years and is still under debate. Not everyone even believes in the New Testament. Personally, I don't believe in the Bible at all. You mentioned earlier that you believe those writings to be "holy," but again, not everyone would agree with you about that, and it is not your job--or anyone else's--to convince them otherwise. After all, the New Testament writings were not even put down in writing until two decades after his death, and only then because the disciples were under criticism. So it's important to take those writings with a grain of salt. I know, personally, a lot of Jews would be very offended by anyone advocating the name Jesus in their presence, so I think you and others need to be a little more considerate of others' feelings.

Some of us in this thread commented that we did not like Jehovah's Witnesses coming to our door, and the reasons we expressed had to do with the fact that they were pushing their religion on us and "selling" it to us. Yet instead of being respectful of our right to express our views in this thread, you have now proceeded to push your views about "Jesus" onto us as well. I think that speaks volumes about the type of Christians we are speaking of here and about you, in particular. I, for one, am asking that you refrain from this type of behavior at once. I am not interested in being "sold" your religion or anyone else's religion, and I believe I made that abundantly clear in all of my previous posts. Unfortunately, like the religious salesmen at my door, you disrespected my rights and beliefs. Make no mistake--I am not interested in what you believe, period. So please refrain from expressing any of your views with me any further.

Satori

I'm Catholic, and I'm glad I have something to believe in or look too when I need help. I can't believe that some people don't even believe in anything, even if it's some weird little invisible goat that runs around aimlessly and helps bystanders. having something, anything to believe in, I think, helps people get through everyday. At least it helps me, thinking that there is a higher being out there to look over me and to help me. Even if it isn't real, it helps to believe in it.

nikki_the_insane said:
I can't believe that some people don't even believe in anything... having something, anything to believe in, I think, helps people get through everyday.

I'm a little confused; you can't believe there are people who don't trust in a higher being, or you can't believe there are people who don't belive in anything at all (corporal or spiritual)?:confused:

What about someone who believed in him/herself?

I'm from Jewish family, but I don't practise.
(Although, I voted Judaism in the poll... first person to do so too...)

I had to vote for Other since I'm roman catholic and not a christian

eto... protestant I guess... ^^

I think that many religions are actually quite kinda similar...

since i put other, might as well

okay, my religious history
(short version)
all my grandparents are christians
they preach all the time and claim to be "good christian people"
then next thing you know you see them doing all the very same things they preach to others saying not to do them
because of this and many other reasons i have decided that christianity is not the religion for me
after years of not having any sort of religion at all i decided to give christianity one more chance
for one year i attended a christian school
during that year there was much controvercy
i was punished at school for having a peace sign drawn on my hand
they said it was "the devils sign" "the sign for anti christianity" "the broken cross sign" and so on
sii was only 14 at the time this left a mental scar, all the good friends and teacher who i loved had turned against me and were mad at me just for having a drawing on my hand
so once again i denounced my christianity
the next year at the public school i decided to find a new religion
i studied many religions including budism, and hinduism
all of them had aspects that i liked and aspects that i did not like
over the next few years i developed my own religion based on what i believed to be the most beleivable mixture of all the beliefs i had studied
and thus was created Neo-Thought, a religion believed in by only about... maybe 15 people now, but of course i AM in the so called "Bible Belt", where there is a church on every street corner (im not jokeing there is), and i have not had a chance to tell many people

the concepts of Neo-Thought thusfar:
the earth is a living thing it feels just ar we do it has a spirit and a soul just as all things do, whether living or nonliving
everything has a spirtual energy (that can be harnessed if you become one with everything that exists around you)
one must follow thier gut instinct for they have been given this just as all other creatures were
there may or may not have been one or more allpowerful entities that created all existance
one must always do what they feel to be right

this is not all but i have to go to sleeo sometime so i have decided to use the rest of my time to tell you something i feel to be important

okay people keep arguing over wether evolution or creation is correct and i dont see why they can not both be right.
why is it not possible for a great entity to have created something that that entity allowed to change and grow with the environment i am confused.

Way to go, its_me_the_shinigami! Most people would have simply given up on religion entirely after experiencing some of the things you have gone through, but instead, you simply created your own religion that suited you. Good job! :happy:

nzueda said:
I understand you for some reason are very angry when it comes to talking about Jehovah's Witnesses.

nzueda , please understand that the methods that Jehovah's Witnesses use are offensive to many people. The natural reaction for us non-JW's is to be offended by what they do, and, as a result, hate Christians as a group. Does that help you understand why Satori is so angry?

Buntaro said:
nzueda , please understand that the methods that Jehovah's Witnesses use are offensive to many people. The natural reaction for us non-JW's is to be offended by what they do, and, as a result, hate Christians as a group. Does that help you understand why Satori is so angry?

I understand why she is angry. My suggestion is to kindly tell them you are not interested and they will leave - or - contact them and ask them to put you on a list of people not to call on. It's that simple. Or perhaps explain to them why you hate them and perhaps they might surprise you by clearing up a few misconceptions.
I found her reaction to my posts rude and offensive, but I let it go, there is not point in arguing.

Thank you for kindly explaining this to me :wave:

Thanks, Buntaro.

I felt Nzueda's previous comments were better left alone, but if she is going to continue to put words in my mouth, then I guess I will need to clarify some things. It's obvious this still upsets her, and for that I am sorry. I don't agree that my comments were rude and offensive, but I do think I could have expressed them a little better at the time. My response came out harsher than I had intended, and some of that was due to the fact that there was another thread going on at another forum at the exact same time, called "Grrrr .... Christians," and it was on the very same topic of people "selling" their religion to those who aren't interested. I was going to apologize to Nzueda about that, but like her, I thought maybe things were better left alone and so that is the way I left it.

I tried to explain in my previous posts that it wasn't a person's religion that I had a problem with but, rather, their pushing it on me against my will and trying to "sell" it to me. I feel the same way about telemarketers. It's not them or their product I have a problem with but their pushing it on me when I haven't asked about it. And clearly, I did not ask to hear about anyone's religious beliefs, especially when stated as fact. On the contrary, I made it very clear that I was not open to having people push their religious beliefs on me and try to "sell" me their religion. That is what the door-to-door religious salespeople do and that is what Nzueda did with me as well.

Just so this is clear, when Nzueda explained her religious beliefs to Maciamo in one of her first posts to this thread, I thought she was merely "sharing" and found her information quite interesting! But when she started stating her beliefs as facts to me, ("Jesus says such and such," as though that should be a fact to me as well), I did not appreciate it, especially when I had already made it clear that the main reason I did not like religious salespeople coming to my door was because they were trying to "sell" their religion to me.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with Jehovah's Witnesses or their religion--or with most religions for that matter. What I do have a problem with is people "selling" things to me when I am clearly not interested. When I am interested in hearing about other people's religions, it's wonderful to discuss them. Just like when I walk into a store and ask to be informed about a particular product, it's great to learn about it. But when someone tries to force that product on me when I clearly am not interested in hearing about it, then I have a problem with that type of behavior. And I'm not the only one. Here in the U.S., we have been pushing for a "no call" list that will prevent telemarketers from being able to call your home and sell things to you. If only that existed for religious organizations!

I also pointed out in my previous posts that these were not isolated events. Rather, they were the general rule in my experience. Obviously, there have been times when the religious salespeople were very nice and I could simply chat with them and tell them that I wasn't interested, and that would suffice. But those are not the people I was talking about in this thread, and they are also not the general rule--at least, not here in the U.S. Most are more like telemarketers who won't take no for an anwer, and those are the type that can be very annoying. And it's not the people or the "product" they are pushing on me either. Instead, it's their "selling" it to me against my will--their "behavior" in those situations that I hate. And that applies to any and all companies and religions that engage in that type of behavior!

Nzueda claimed that I posted quite a bit about Buddhism, but what she didn't point out is that all of my posts about Buddhism were posted in the "Religion" section here at the forum, where posts like that belong. Any comments I made here in this thread had to do with getting clarification from Maciamo as to the particular categories he listed for his poll. And then later asking him what in the world "Neo-pagan" might have meant. I had no clue! But at no time did I push Buddhism on anyone here in this thread. That is simply not true. Anyone is free to post in the "Religion" section. In fact, if you will notice, it does not say "Buddhism" in Japan; it says "Religion" in Japan. So I certainly don't see why there can't be other threads about all kinds of other religions.

In fact, after I double-checked Nzueda's claims and saw that she was really referring to my posts in the "Religion" section, a couple of ideas came to me that perhaps others might find interesting as well. I think it would be interesting to have a thread specifically designed to compare and contrast the various views of each religion with respect to a specific topic. For example, the topic of "divorce." Some religions are still opposed to it and some aren't. It would be interesting to see what each religion believes on this topic. Another example might be the topic of "suicide." I know that following 9/11, there was a lot of talk about the Taliban's views about suicide, only they were being confused with the Muslim faith, which is very much opposed to suicide, just as Catholics are (and maybe most religions). So many people that didn't understand much about the Muslim faith, thought that Muslim's condoned suicide, when the truth was it was the complete opposite! Also, I once had a hairstylist whose family was Catholic and from Mexico. Well, my hairstylist told me that her grandmother told her that when Catholics prayed to the saints for help, they were actually asking for them to work in "partnership" with them. Yet here in the U.S., most Catholics pray to saints to handle things for them. A totally different thing. I would be curious how that particular issue varies from country to country. Anyway, those are just a few examples. That way, we could all learn about what the various religions believe about different topics, without any one particular religion being pushed or sold.

The other thing I thought of was maybe starting a "Prayer Circle" thread. A lot of other forums have them, and they can certainly be non-denominational. For instance, I thought it would be interesting for those of us who have used prayer and seen results to share our experiences about that, and then also people can add those who need prayer to the thread as well, so that everyone that is part of that thread can then pray for them, and then they can follow up with how that person is doing.

Those are just some of the ideas I came up with, and I think it would solve some of the problems for maybe those who feel there is too much Buddhism in the "Religion" section and maybe not enough balance of other religions as well. I don't know. It's just a thought...

But I at least wanted to clarify things for Nzueda. She is generally a very sweet person, so I felt bad about our exchange. It was only her behavior and not her that I had a problem with, but like I said earlier, I could have expressed it better, so I'm sorry for that, Nzueda. Ask anyone, I am just not the type to come down so hard on anyone. I'm really not. Your comments just caught me at the wrong time. And I hope I have better clarified the issue of people who "sell" their religion and try to push it on others against their will. It's not the people or their religion, but their forceful behavior at times that I have a problem with. That's all.

So if anyone thinks those ideas about the "Religion" section might be good, let me know, okay? Or just say so here.

Satori

:)

Hi Nzueda!

I'm so glad we got that all straightened out! I had been deliberating for so long as to whether or not I should PM you and apologize or email you or whatever! So when Buntaro opened up the subject again, I saw it as the perfect opportunity to apologize to you, especially when I saw that you were still upset! I felt so bad about that whole scenario and the way I handled it.

I can't remember your words exactly, but you demanded I refrain from posting anything about my beliefs again

Oh, I see what you were talking about. At the time, I simply meant expressing your beliefs with me, not with the rest of the thread or anything like that. But don't worry about that anymore, okay? I'm just glad we finally have that straightened out!

And like I said, it just all hit me at a very bad time. Not only was that other thread going on, but I have also been dealing with unemployment, subsequent eviction, etc., so it has been "Merry Christmas" to me! As though I could use more stress in my life, you know? So again, I am truly sorry for what I said to you.

Satori

:happy:

Last edited:
On the subject of Jehovah?s Witnesses going door-to-door, Nzueda asked, "Why do you hate them coming to your door?"

Ah, now I am beginning to understand. She does not know why people hate it when Jehovah's Witnesses come to their door. Let me explain. However, before I begin, let me also revisit two of Nzueda?s statements:

She said, "Sharing the good news is very important because Jesus commanded it." She also said, "I find it very frustrating when people accuse Jehovah's Witnesses of selling."

If by ?sharing,? she means the custom of Jehovah's Witnesses going door-to-door, I find this custom of theirs to be offensive. For two reasons. First, it is not ?sharing?. (I wonder if she would have been offended if the phrase had not been ?selling their religion," but rather, "pushing their religion on other people.") Secondly, I am offended by the insinuation within the word ?commanded,? but that is another topic for another day. Today, I will address the issue of ?sharing?.

"Sharing Religion" vs. "Selling Religion" vs. "Proselytizing "

OK, so some people call the door-to-door thing "Sharing Religion." Others call it ?Selling Religion." I think the best way to address the issue is to call it " Proselytizing," because that is exactly what it is. For some people, proselytizing is a good thing. To me, it is disgusting.

What does "sharing? mean?

Whether I offer to share my lunch with someone, or offer to share my religion with someone, the word ?sharing? is the same ? I offer something, with the belief that they will probably will accept it. I hope that they will appreciate it. Never in my wildest dreams do I think that they would be offended by what I have done. There is respect for both parrties, by both parties. The key word here is ?respect.? When a Jehovah's Witness proselytizer shows up at my door, that respect is not there. It is most certainly not "sharing" when a Jehovah's Witness shows up at my door.

At that moment, they have become someone who is pushing their religion on me. I truly believe that they do not respect the fact I am *wildly* happy not to be a Jehovah's Witness. Their intent is not to have an honest open-minded discussion about comparative religions. Their intent is only to get me to join the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I remember two Jehovah's Witnesses who came to my door one day. The gist of the discussion was not important nor memorable. But they tried like the dickens to get that Jehovah's Witness? Watch Tower tract in my hand. They were offended that I did not want it. At that time, because of my lack of assertiveness, I sheepishly took it. (Let them try it today!)

Their intent is not to share. Their intent is to proselytize. That is why, to answer the question at the beginning of this post, we "hate them coming to [our] door."

Nzueda also said, "I still can't imagine how people can be rude to total strangers at their doors!!" and "My suggestion is to kindly tell them you are not interested and they will leave."

I absolutely disagree. They are bothering me, and they need to know that they are bothering me.

Also, someone standing on my doorstep is a guest at my house. They may be not actually in my house, but on my porch, they are at my house. As such, they are expected to act like guests, mind their manners, and respect my beliefs. If they do not, it is my job to let them know, in very clear terms, the consequences of that.

In fairness to Christians, I must point out that I have had some very bad experiences with Nichiren proselytizers in Japan. The evil of proselytizing is not limited to Christians!

Let?s get back to the definition of ?sharing? a religion. In this post, I have not mentioned which religious tradition I am a member of. That is out of respect. If I thought that Nzueda was interested in learning more about my religion, and I was pretty doggone sure that the both of us had the utmost respect for the other?s religion, I would share what I know. But I am not convinced that this common respect exists. So, I do not wish to even identify my religious tradition in this post.

I would never, never, never go door-to-door, proselytizing my religion.

I strongly believe in respect for other religions. I strongly believe in ecumenicalism. I believe that people who belong to Christianity, Buddhism, Shamanism, Janism, Zororastrianism, etc., will fully benefit from their own religion. I encourage them to keep their religion. I believe that we will all get to the same place eventually, anwway. (I would like to hear a Jehovah?s Witness say that!!!)

In my final words, I would like to let Nzueda know this: When Jehovah?s Witnesses proselytize door-to-door, the average person is antagonized by this. It drives them even further away from the very thing that the Jehovah?s Witnesses want.

Buntaro said:
The natural reaction for us non-JW's is to be offended by what they do, and, as a result, hate Christians as a group.

the average person is antagonized by this

I don't think that's a natural reaction. If they knock on my door, I say "No interest." & they leave me alone immediately, what's the big deal? I don't have much of a problem with it, for what I experienced & heard JWs are not very pushy, actually rather decent.

I don't know the average person, but people I know here in Germany are not antagonized, they just think these guys are funny.

Never heard of any convert.

I think the JW faith is plagued with contradictions, and idiosynchrasies that are hard to swallow, but the people I've met have all been unusually great people.

I had made friends with one, and he gave me a bible. It was an odd gesture, but touching nonetheless.

Its tricky being religious, without accidently turning into a fundamentalist. And when that happens, you're screwed.

As for my faith, I have none, but I live by the Satanist ideology.

And no, I dont worship the dark lord. lol

nzueda: Dont let fear for upsetting an individual censor you. This is an open message board. Illustrate your beliefs if you want, just do it in a peaceful manner.

If you are civil about expressing what you personally believe, and others take offense, thats on them, not you.

I'm agnostic, but I lean towards athiesm quite a bit...I'm kinda inbetween the two, if that's possible. o_O;

here was my one and was right on the money for me AND on the first and only go
Your Results:

1. Hinduism (100%)
Browse Hinduism related books. Click here for info

2. Mahayana Buddhism (94%)
Browse Mahayana Buddhism related books. Click here for info

3. Neo-Pagan (89%)
Browse Neo-Pagan related books. Click here for info

4. Jainism (85%)
Browse Jainism related books. Click here for info

5. Unitarian Universalism (84%)
Browse Unitarian Universalism related books. Click here for info

6. Sikhism (79%)
Browse Sikhism related books. Click here for info

7. Orthodox Judaism (74%)
Browse Orthodox Judaism related books. Click here for info

8. New Age (74%)
Browse New Age related books. Click here for info

9. Bah?'? Faith (71%)
Browse Bah?'? Faith related books. Click here for info

10. New Thought (70%)
Browse New Thought related books. Click here for info

11. Theravada Buddhism (68%)
Browse Theravada Buddhism related books. Click here for info

12. Reform Judaism (68%)
Browse Reform Judaism related books. Click here for info

13. Liberal Quakers (66%)
Browse Liberal Quakers related books. Click here for info

14. Islam (66%)
Browse Islam related books. Click here for info

15. Orthodox Quaker (65%)
Browse Orthodox Quaker related books. Click here for info

16. Scientology (65%)
Browse Scientology related books. Click here for info

17. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (54%)
Browse Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) related books. Click here for info

18. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (53%)
Browse Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants related books. Click here for info

19. Taoism (46%)
Browse Taoism related books. Click here for info

20. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (45%)
Browse Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant related books. Click here for info

21. Seventh Day Adventist (43%)
Browse Seventh Day Adventist related books. Click here for info

22. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (42%)
Browse Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) related books. Click here for info

23. Secular Humanism (38%)
Browse Secular Humanism related books. Click here for info

24. Eastern Orthodox (36%)
Browse Eastern Orthodox related books. Click here for info

25. Roman Catholic (36%)
Browse Roman Catholic related books. Click here for info

26. Jehovah's Witness (34%)
Browse Jehovah's Witness related books. Click here for info

27. Non-theist (29%)
Browse Non-theist related books. Click here for info

This thread has been viewed 13041 times.

Back