South Central Asian 0.0%
Indian 0.0%

EAST-SOUTHEAST ASIAN 0.0%
East Asian0.0%
Southeast Asian 0.0%

AFRICAN 1.1%
East African 1.0%
(the rest is 0%)

I'm going to be honest. This is not too accurate at all for me, like how did I get so much south Slavic admixture and little northern European admixture??? Should the Southwest European be higher???

That certainly doesn't look like it turned out very well in your case - Were all three of these using 23andme data?

My parents have only done Ancestry so all three were Ancestry Raw Data. For what it’s worth here are my 23andMe raw data results.

Northwest Europe: 31.3%
Southwest Europe: 26.9%
Eastern Slavic: 14.4%
Scandinavian: 13.8%
Southern Slavic: 7.4%
Tatars: 2.9%
West Asian: 1.9%
Greek-Albanian: 1.2%
Turkmens: 0.1%

My parents have only done Ancestry so all three were Ancestry Raw Data. For what it’s worth here are my 23andMe raw data results.

Northwest Europe: 31.3%
Southwest Europe: 26.9%
Eastern Slavic: 14.4%
Scandinavian: 13.8%
Southern Slavic: 7.4%
Tatars: 2.9%
West Asian: 1.9%
Greek-Albanian: 1.2%
Turkmens: 0.1%

Kurd mentioned that it's supposed to be done using 23andme data - and your results with 23andme look way better, although that Southern Slavic at 7% is still probably too high. For whatever reason it looks like this one has some trouble with your DNA

Kurd mentioned that it's supposed to be done using 23andme data - and your results with 23andme look way better, although that Southern Slavic at 7% is still probably too high. For whatever reason it looks like this one has some trouble with your DNA

My experience with other calculators is that 23andMe raw data shifts everything a bit northwards compared to Ancestry raw data. So a lot of the southern Slavic became eastern Slavic. Still a lot more Slavic in general than I usually get on calculators, especially considering I’m a French/Belgian mix, and a lot more Slavic than either parent.

My largest amount of eastern or Slavic on any other calculator was 10% Southeastern on FTDNA 2.0 with 90% West and Central Europe. Ancestry has me 2% Eastern Europe and 2% Europe South. 23andMe has me at 10% Southern European and 0% Eastern. Natgeo at 5% Eastern and 3% Southern Europe.

It seems like k29 uses Greek/Albanian to represent also all of Italy.

What does greek/Albanian suppose to represent ?

greeks , albanian, kosovars
it like the greek of my heritage
hellenic genes

I got 0.0% scandinavian and im from northern scandinavia! Instead i got 62.3% northwest european and those numbers i usually get on other calculators for scandinavian.
The baltic at 26.3% looks right.
The other numbers i got where 10.1% central asian and 1.3% siberian & amerindian which i get on other calculators in various numbers. So a big miss on the scandinavian with this calculator.

My experience with other calculators is that 23andMe raw data shifts everything a bit northwards compared to Ancestry raw data. So a lot of the southern Slavic became eastern Slavic. Still a lot more Slavic in general than I usually get on calculators, especially considering I’m a French/Belgian mix, and a lot more Slavic than either parent.

My largest amount of eastern or Slavic on any other calculator was 10% Southeastern on FTDNA 2.0 with 90% West and Central Europe. Ancestry has me 2% Eastern Europe and 2% Europe South. 23andMe has me at 10% Southern European and 0% Eastern. Natgeo at 5% Eastern and 3% Southern Europe.

Normally I like to use multiple sets of data if I can but with this one, Kurd stated that it is meant to be used with 23andme raw data specifically, so it is an exception - IIRC he stated it isn't worth it to run this particular calculator with other data sets if you have 23andme.

I got 0.0% scandinavian and im from northern scandinavia! Instead i got 62.3% northwest european and those numbers i usually get on other calculators for scandinavian.
The baltic at 26.3% looks right.
The other numbers i got where 10.1% central asian and 1.3% siberian & amerindian which i get on other calculators in various numbers. So a big miss on the scandinavian with this calculator.

That's strange!

Normally I like to use multiple sets of data if I can but with this one, Kurd stated that it is meant to be used with 23andme raw data specifically, so it is an exception - IIRC he stated it isn't worth it to run this particular calculator with other data sets if you have 23andme.

Even if that is true regarding my parents, my 23andMe raw data still has me at 21.8% Slavic which is considerably higher than any of the other 8 ethnicity estimates I have taken.

my results

EUROPEAN 98.6%
SOUTHERN EUROPEAN69.8%
Greek-Albanian 24.8%
Southwest European 23.6%
Sardinian-Sicilian 21.5%
EASTERN EUROPEAN 15.3%
Eastern Slavic 15.3%
Southern Slavic 0.0%
Baltic 0.0%
NORTHERN EUROPEAN14.4%
Scandinavian 14.4%
Northwest European 0.0%

ASIAN 1.4% .................all Tajikstan

For me and my parents there are some differences in this version:
- All over more NW Europe than in the K25 version. I guess the genetic dfferences are very slightly in NW Europe....!
- Personally I'am not in the middle between my parents.
- My tentive conclusion is that people wtih an ancestry from the coastal NW European districts have a more Scandic profile than those from inland NW Europe.

Mine

• Northwest European61.0%
  • Scandinavian24.8%
  • Baltic14.0%

Father

• Northwest Europa 60,6%
  • Scandinavian24.3%

• Baltic14.6%

Mother

• Northwest European79.0%

• Scandinavian0.0%
  • Baltic20.9%

my results

EUROPEAN 98.6%
SOUTHERN EUROPEAN69.8%
Greek-Albanian 24.8%
Southwest European 23.6%
Sardinian-Sicilian 21.5%
EASTERN EUROPEAN 15.3%
Eastern Slavic 15.3%
Southern Slavic 0.0%
Baltic 0.0%
NORTHERN EUROPEAN14.4%
Scandinavian 14.4%
Northwest European 0.0%
ASIAN 1.4% .................all Tajikstan

Zanipolo, are you of northeastern Italian descent right?

I'm 12% of Austrian origins, 38% of Italian Switzerland (Canton Ticino and Grisons), 50% South Italian (North Campania), these are my values. Honestly, I don't find it so accurate.
EUROPEAN 91.5%
SOUTHERN EUROPEAN 62.6%
Southwest European 26.9%
Sardinian-Sicilian 23.8%
Greek-Albanian 11.9%
EASTERN EUROPEAN 27.5%
Southern Slavic 27.5%
Eastern Slavic 0.0%
Baltic 0.0%
NORTHERN EUROPEAN 1.5%
Northwest European 1.5%
Scandinavian 0.0%
ASIAN 8.5%
WEST ASIAN 7.2%
West Asian 5.8%
Caucasian 1.4%
Southwest Asian 0.0%
SC/S ASIAN1.2%
South Central Asian1.2%
Indian 0.0%
CENTRAL ASIAN 0.0%
Bashkirs 0.0%
Tatars 0.0%
Turkmens 0.0%
Uzbek & Uyghur 0.0%
Kazak & Kirgiz 0.0%
Tajikistani 0.0%
East Asian 0.0%
Southeast Asian 0.0%
SIBERIAN & AMERINDIAN 0.0%
AFRICAN 0.0%
Oceanian 0.0%

I'm 12% of Austrian origins, 38% of Italian Switzerland (Canton Ticino and Grisons), 50% South Italian (North Campania), these are my values. Honestly, I don't find it so accurate.
EUROPEAN 91.5%
SOUTHERN EUROPEAN 62.6%
Southwest European 26.9%
Sardinian-Sicilian 23.8%
Greek-Albanian 11.9%
EASTERN EUROPEAN 27.5%
Southern Slavic 27.5%
Eastern Slavic 0.0%
Baltic 0.0%
NORTHERN EUROPEAN 1.5%
Northwest European 1.5%
Scandinavian 0.0%
ASIAN 8.5%
WEST ASIAN 7.2%
West Asian 5.8%
Caucasian 1.4%
Southwest Asian 0.0%
SC/S ASIAN1.2%
South Central Asian1.2%
Indian 0.0%
CENTRAL ASIAN 0.0%
Bashkirs 0.0%
Tatars 0.0%
Turkmens 0.0%
Uzbek & Uyghur 0.0%
Kazak & Kirgiz 0.0%
Tajikistani 0.0%
East Asian 0.0%
Southeast Asian 0.0%
SIBERIAN & AMERINDIAN 0.0%
AFRICAN 0.0%
Oceanian 0.0%

I searched your posts just out of curiosity bc you're new and there's only 4 of them and you said you were 35 percent south Italian. I'm a little confused

Yes you're right, I'm 65% from North Italy and 35% from Campania, South Italy. My CHG/Iran_N values are similar to the Southern Italians, Yamnaya values like a Northern Italians.

Kurd appears to be very knowledgeable about ethnicity estimates and his website has a lot of great info on it. I’m not going to pretend to act like I know the intricacies of his algorithm or scientific method. The one thing I will say though is that perhaps his reference samples were incomplete.

From what I have read it appears that he only used a few samples per region and that some of this data could have been provided by unvetted forum users. If this is the case then it could have skewed peoples results even if in theory the algorithm was precise and novel.

I know that many of the major companies use hundreds of reference samples per region or data from scientifically collected studies. Perhaps if Kurd had had access to this data his calculator would have been more on the mark at least in my case.

I searched your posts just out of curiosity bc you're new and there's only 4 of them and you said you were 35 percent south Italian. I'm a little confused
Initially I thought I had origins in Northern Italy at 65% and in South Italy at 35%, but doing a more in-depth research I discovered that it is not so, the mother of my maternal grandmother I thought was a Rainieri di Como (Lombardy), in reality was a mother acquired, addictive, her biological mother was a Frangipane of Mondragone (Southern Italy-Campania), so from my mother all my great-grandparents were from Southern Italy (North Campania), from my father instead I have a great-grandmother from Tessin (Italian Switzerland ), 2 Grisons of Italian Switzerland and one who was called Luzzi, but the surname comes from the Austrian Lüzi, so the father of my paternal grandmother was of Austrian origin. The canton of Ticino and the Grisons of Italian Switzerland, ethnically, come from Northern Italy, say along the Northern margin of Northern Italy from a genetic point of view.

Kurd appears to be very knowledgeable about ethnicity estimates and his website has a lot of great info on it. I’m not going to pretend to act like I know the intricacies of his algorithm or scientific method. The one thing I will say though is that perhaps his reference samples were incomplete.

From what I have read it appears that he only used a few samples per region and that some of this data could have been provided by unvetted forum users. If this is the case then it could have skewed peoples results even if in theory the algorithm was precise and novel.

I know that many of the major companies use hundreds of reference samples per region or data from scientifically collected studies. Perhaps if Kurd had had access to this data his calculator would have been more on the mark at least in my case.

There's a problem with a lot of amateur driven analysis.

On one of MLukas' ? PCAs, he has a person from the Canary Islands plotting next to Swiss Germans. Yeah, right! :)

Now, maybe some t-roll sent in fake results for a Spaniard. It's easy to do: a lot of "civilians" hand out their gedmatch numbers. Nefarious types can run the analyses and stamp any ethnicity they want on the results.

That could mislead newbies, however.

Even worse if some sample like that was used as part of a reference sample for Spaniards.

This is why I'm so skeptical about amateur analyses. I also pretty much gave up on gedmatch type calculators. Most of them have so many flaws, or they're agenda driven, i.e. calculators to maximize eastern European in everyone etc.

The only ones where everything seems legit are the ones done by dodecad, but they're really out of date.

Otherwise, I stick with 23andme. Regulators are constantly breathing down its neck, so they have to keep it legit. Doesn't mean it's perfect, however.

There's a problem with a lot of amateur driven analysis.

On one of MLukas' ? PCAs, he has a person from the Canary Islands plotting next to Swiss Germans. Yeah, right! :)

Now, maybe some t-roll sent in fake results for a Spaniard. It's easy to do: a lot of "civilians" hand out their gedmatch numbers. Nefarious types can run the analyses and stamp any ethnicity they want on the results.

That could mislead newbies, however.

Even worse if some sample like that was used as part of a reference sample for Spaniards.

This is why I'm so skeptical about amateur analyses. I also pretty much gave up on gedmatch type calculators. Most of them have so many flaws, or they're agenda driven, i.e. calculators to maximize eastern European in everyone etc.

The only ones where everything seems legit are the ones done by dodecad, but they're really out of date.

Otherwise, I stick with 23andme. Regulators are constantly breathing down its neck, so they have to keep it legit. Doesn't mean it's perfect, however.

After doing 8 ethnicity estimates I’ve given up on the idea of treating any results too seriously. For people who already have a solid paper trail and basic knowledge of history and population movements the ethnicity estimates seem to confuse more than clarify. My only gripe with 23andMe is that some minor ancestry might be underreported because I think all of the chromosome segment is assigned to the majority ethnicity which could be misleading in a 60/40 case scenario.

here are my results kind of bizarre, lost about 30% greek, now its sardinian and sicilian and my mysterious northern euro (i get about a combined 4% west europe/scandinavia/finland in ancestry) has gone up even more. always fun to learn new things about myself!

EUROPEAN95.8%
  • EASTERN EUROPEAN47.6%
    • Southern Slavic46.5%
    • Baltic1.1%
    • Eastern Slavic0.0%

• NORTHERN EUROPEAN27.6%
    • Northwest European27.6%
    • Scandinavian0.0%

• SOUTHERN EUROPEAN20.6%
    • Sardinian-Sicilian20.6%
    • Greek-Albanian0.0%
    • Southwest European0.0%
ASIAN4.2%
  • WEST ASIAN4.2%
    • Caucasian3.4%
    • West Asian0.8%
    • Southwest Asian0.0%

This thread has been viewed 112229 times.

Back