Bosnians/ ethnic groups there

^^How many times do I have to agree that Croatians are a lot like Hungarians?

If you had ever read the paper, or if you read it, understood it, you'd know Kovacevic says the same thing, so the snide emoji is uncalled for...

Do you want a tee shirt that says Croatians=Hungarians, or Croatians are not Balkan for Christmas? Would that make you happy?

Not necessarily. I am just curious about the criteria the authors used to group countries in the graph. Genetic clustering? Geography? Language? Shoe sizes?

Not necessarily. I am just curious about the criteria the authors used to group countries in the graph. Genetic clustering? Geography? Language? Shoe sizes?

They use ADMIXTURE program, Tree Graph, PCA, and IBD. If you don't know what they are you're incapable of understanding the paper, so look them up.

Why are some of you so proud of your ignorance?

@srdceleva,
Gedmatch is no substitute for the kind of analysis done in the study. Plus, my post was limited to three groups:
Bosniaks, Bosnian Croats, and Bosnian Serbs.

Serbians are genetically closer to Croats it varies like South Serbia is closer to Albania and Former Yugo Macedonia

They use ADMIXTURE program, Tree Graph, PCA, and IBD. If you don't know what they are you're incapable of understanding the paper, so look them up.

@srdceleva,
Gedmatch is no substitute for the kind of analysis done in the study. Plus, my post was limited to three groups:
What study? me I am not even from Bosnia or whatever

@srdceleva,
Ah ok, yes with in bosnia there is no genetic divide.

Yes gedmatch is super limited but it is interesting how its still capable enough to tell us something.

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk

Of course they do. They use nice fancy tools. However they put Hungary into West Europe.

Serbians are genetically closer to Croats it varies like South Serbia is closer to Albania and Former Yugo Macedonia

Actually Bosnian Serbs are closer to Croats. Serbians (=from Serbia) are more Bulgarian-like as PCA shows.

Actually Bosnian Serbs are closer to Croats. Serbians (=from Serbia) are more Bulgarian-like as PCA shows.
I mean Southern Serbians

I see thank you for your opinion on my thread

Perhaps this is as good a time as any to start learning the rules here.

Any member may comment on any thread.

Newbies should be willing to learn from people who know a lot more than they do...

Perhaps you might want to start with the dedicated paper for the Balkans, but you should also read all of the papers listed in the newbie thread:

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/34850-Important-papers-for-newbies-to-Population-Genetics

Perhaps this is as good a time as any to start learning the rules here.

Any member may comment on any thread.

Newbies should be willing to learn from people who know a lot more than they do...

Perhaps you might want to start with the dedicated paper for the Balkans, but you should also read all of the papers listed in the newbie thread:

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/34850-Important-papers-for-newbies-to-Population-Genetics

Angela I know a lot more than the average person about history in general...But I have some things to learn about certain regions still. I am not only interested in Mediterranean history but general history there's also some questions I want to learn about the Steppes so maybe I should do a general question and list the areas that I am interested in?

Illyrians are not exclusive to one type of people

They might not feel their genetics is enough to differentiate between them, like North and South Italy, I don't know I am not that much of an expert

The name "Vlach" was initialy used by the Slavs to name speakers of the Latin language. However, when the Vlachs were first mentioned in Croatia and Bosnia they were speaking Slavic language and had Slavic names. It is obvious that the term Vlach got more meanings over time. The funny fact is that mostly Latin speaking citizen of Dubrovnik called the Slavic speaking people in the hinterland - Vlachs, and at the same time they hated when someone called THEM "Vlach"!
The way of life is not a proof of ethnicity, rather a result of adaptation to a different environment. The "Vlachs" who switched to agriculture quickly lost their "Vlach" label, and started to call other shepherds by that name. The word "Vlach" had different meanings in different times. Present day Croatian genetics does not "see" Vlachs.
Jirecek's theory is not reliable anymore,the Vlachs from Serbia,Bosnia and Croatia had typical positions and forms of organization,recorded later as well,during the Ottoman Empire,like,premikurs,katunars,protogers,kjelators,lagators,voyvods and knezes(only the last two are Slavic).
The Morlachs were initially Orthodox,while the Istro-Romanians speak/spoke a language that shares the n-r rhotacism with Tosk Albanian and some Transylvanian dialects,the Romanian-Latin names with this feature are recorded in Bosnia,in the regions towards Serbia, until the late 19th-early 20th c.
They had preserved their identity,for instance,by having an important military role in the Croatian frontier for both the Ottomans and Austrians,"see" a not that complicated link called Statuta Valachorum.
EDIT
I believe that the"Vlachs" are just as good at replying quotes like any other Serb,Bosnian,Croatian.

Last edited:
Jirecek's theory is not reliable anymore,the Vlachs from Serbia,Bosnia and Croatia had typical positions and forms of organization,very oftenly recorded later as well,during the Ottoman Empire,like,premikurs,katunars,protogers,kjelators,lagators,voyvods and knezes(only the last two are Slavic). The Morlachs were initially Orthodox,while the Istro-Romanians speak/spoke a language that shares the n-r rhotacism with Tosk Albanian and some Transylvanian dialects,the Romanian-Latin names with this feature are recorded in Bosnia,in the regions towards Serbia, until the late 19th-early 20th c.

Some common features that Dalmatian shepherds shared with Vlach and Albanian speakers could be very easily due to the cultural contacts as well as a result of intermarriages.

“Morlachs” never existed as ethnicity except in the minds of Venetians.

The existence of "Statuta Valachorum" is a direct proof that "Vlachs" were also a social category.

Some common features that Dalmatian shepherds shared with Vlach and Albanian speakers could be very easily due to the cultural contacts as well as a result of intermarriages. “Morlachs” never existed as ethnicity except in the minds of Venetians. The existence of "Statuta Valachorum" is a direct proof that "Vlachs" were also a social category.

The venetians did believe in what you say and also that the balkans was comprised of mostly ancient thracians and greeks until the iron-age.

I also believe in this as I see the Dalmatians arrived on the adriatic coast from southern Austria not before 600BC.

Italians match better with romanians, bulgarians, albanians and greeks , which is this greek and thracian only theory for the balkans ...............we see little slavic matching with Italians except a bit in NE-Italy , but this is usually I1 marker which seems to be ancient Illyrian from Noricum ( east -Austria ) ..........although in mtdna , the big big difference is the plus 14% extra of T2b over any other area of Italy. This T2b matches northern Romania - Moldavia area ...............a

Some common features that Dalmatian shepherds shared with Vlach and Albanian speakers could be very easily due to the cultural contacts as well as a result of intermarriages.
“Morlachs” never existed as ethnicity except in the minds of Venetians.
The existence of "Statuta Valachorum" is a direct proof that "Vlachs" were also a social category.
You force me to become more technical,
The Morlachs and Vlachs were firstly recorded in those regions at exactly the same time,their movement to Istria is well-documented ,while the language is definitely not Dalmatian.

This thread has been viewed 199804 times.

Back