The curious case of Albanian coincidences

One more coincidence here

Deti Jonë = 'our sea' . Αlb

Mare Nostrum = 'our sea' . Lat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_Nostrum

but
Ιόνιο πελαγος = ? . Gr

The name Ionian comes from the Greek language Ἰόνιον (πέλαγος). Its etymology is unknown.[3] Ancient Greek writers, especially Aeschylus, linked it to the myth of Io. In Ancient Greek the adjective Ionios (Ἰόνιος) was used as an epithet for the sea because Io swam across it.[4][5][6] According to the Oxford Classical Dictionary, the name may derive from Ionians who sailed to the West.[7] There were also narratives about other eponymic legendary figures;[8] according to one version, Ionius was a son of Adrias (eponymic for the Adriatic Sea); according to another, Ionius was a son of Dyrrhachus.[9] When Dyrrhachus was attacked by his own brothers, Heracles, who was passing through the area, came to his aid, but in the fight the hero killed his ally's son by mistake. The body was cast into the water, and thereafter was called the Ionian Sea.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionian_Sea

@ Lab

that is the most ridiculous I 've in the thread,
Why

Mare Nostrum is a Roman term
Now suddenly Albanians become Romans?

Then PAX ROMANA ? MARE NOSTRUM = DETI JONE = IONION PELAGOS !!!!

MAYBE ALBANIAN IS PAX ROMANA = PAQE ROMANA or PAQE ALBANA ??????

oh I see Romans reach Britain
so the PUNKs movemenent was from fans of Roman origin? :LOL: :LOL:

INDEED
The Most Stupid Arque I Have read

WHAT ABOUT SENATUS, CEASAR PATRICIO etc are they also translated in Albanian?

what about combining SENATUS with SANATORIUM :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just pathetic arque and not even a coinsidence,

plz man

I do not want to hear again Pub's arquements

Ok I must admit
when I say I follow your logic
I did not ment you,
plz do not take it personally
it is plural your (most persons)
But I do not understand the Thread logic,

How come you have the most posts in this thread and on the same time you don’t understand it ?

Personally I’m not quoting you from now on until you understand the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

If you see the Dardanians of Anatolia match the Dardanians of kososvo then history changes ........

Like I said, i have to reflect and do more research. (singing begins around 2:30)

http://r1b-pf7562.blogspot.fr/

tree.JPG

R1b-PF7562.JPG

R1b-Z2103.JPG

R1b-M269%2528xL51%2529.JPG

Hello! I tried posting a reply to Yetos but it doesn't work.

This is an interesting thread and I appreciate all the people contributing to it without ridiculing others.

If you see the Dardanians of Anatolia match the Dardanians of kososvo then history changes ........

1. [ca. 1 BCE] The Bessi live in huts and lead a wretched life; and their country borders on Mount Rhodope, on the country of the Paeonians, and on that of two Illyrian peoples — the Autariatae, and the Dardanians (Strabo, Geography, 7.5.12 - ca. 24 CE )
  2. ca. 1 BCE] The poet names these last parts in two ways, at one time saying as follows: 'The Dardanii in turn were led by the valiant son of Anchises,calling the inhabitants 'Dardanii'; and at another time, 'Dardani': 'The Trojans and Lycians and Dardani that fight in close combat (Strabo, Geography, 13.1.24 - ca. 24 CE )
  3. [ca. 215 BCE] Then, rejoicing in that man of blood, and aware of the fierce storm of disasters in store for the realm of Latinus, she spoke thus: 'In defiance of me, the exile from Troy brought Dardania to Latium, together with his household gods (Silius Italicus, Punica, 1.36 - ca. 90 CE
  4. [ca. 39 BCE] Desiring to enrich as well as to exercise the soldiers, who were to go with him into winter quarters, he sent some of them against the Partheni, an Illyrian tribe near Epidamnus, who had been very much attached to Brutus; others against the Dardani, another Illyrian tribe, who were forever making (Appian, The Civil Wars, 5.8.75 - ca. 160 CE )
  5. Myth.] Illyrius had six sons, Encheleus, Autarieus, Dardanus, Maedus, Taulas, and Perrhaebus, also daughters, Partho, Daortho, Dassaro, and others,from whom sprang the Taulantii, the Perrhaebi, the Enchelees, the Autarienses, the Dardani, the Partheni, the Dassaretii, and the Darsii (Appian, Illyrian Affairs, 1.2 - ca. 165 CE )
  6. [ca. 114 BCE] But they did not desist from temple robbing, for again, in conjunction with the Celts, certain Illyrian tribes, especially the Scordisci, the Maedi, and the Dardani again invaded Macedonia and Greece together, and plundered many temples, including that of Delphi, but losing many men this time also (Appian, Illyrian Affairs, 1.5 - ca. 165 CE )
  7. [ca. 35 BCE] Pannonia is a wooded country extending from the Iapydes to the Dardani. The inhabitants do not live in cities, but scattered through the country or in villages according to relationship (Appian, Illyrian Affairs, 4.22 - ca. 165 CE )

1. [ca. 1 BCE] The Bessi live in huts and lead a wretched life; and their country borders on Mount Rhodope, on the country of the Paeonians, and on that of two Illyrian peoples — the Autariatae, and the Dardanians (Strabo, Geography, 7.5.12 - ca. 24 CE )
  2. ca. 1 BCE] The poet names these last parts in two ways, at one time saying as follows: 'The Dardanii in turn were led by the valiant son of Anchises,calling the inhabitants 'Dardanii'; and at another time, 'Dardani': 'The Trojans and Lycians and Dardani that fight in close combat (Strabo, Geography, 13.1.24 - ca. 24 CE )
  3. [ca. 215 BCE] Then, rejoicing in that man of blood, and aware of the fierce storm of disasters in store for the realm of Latinus, she spoke thus: 'In defiance of me, the exile from Troy brought Dardania to Latium, together with his household gods (Silius Italicus, Punica, 1.36 - ca. 90 CE
  4. [ca. 39 BCE] Desiring to enrich as well as to exercise the soldiers, who were to go with him into winter quarters, he sent some of them against the Partheni, an Illyrian tribe near Epidamnus, who had been very much attached to Brutus; others against the Dardani, another Illyrian tribe, who were forever making (Appian, The Civil Wars, 5.8.75 - ca. 160 CE )
  5. Myth.] Illyrius had six sons, Encheleus, Autarieus, Dardanus, Maedus, Taulas, and Perrhaebus, also daughters, Partho, Daortho, Dassaro, and others,from whom sprang the Taulantii, the Perrhaebi, the Enchelees, the Autarienses, the Dardani, the Partheni, the Dassaretii, and the Darsii (Appian, Illyrian Affairs, 1.2 - ca. 165 CE )
  6. [ca. 114 BCE] But they did not desist from temple robbing, for again, in conjunction with the Celts, certain Illyrian tribes, especially the Scordisci, the Maedi, and the Dardani again invaded Macedonia and Greece together, and plundered many temples, including that of Delphi, but losing many men this time also (Appian, Illyrian Affairs, 1.5 - ca. 165 CE )
  7. [ca. 35 BCE] Pannonia is a wooded country extending from the Iapydes to the Dardani. The inhabitants do not live in cities, but scattered through the country or in villages according to relationship (Appian, Illyrian Affairs, 4.22 - ca. 165 CE )
did you get any of your information from this book
http://www.jstor.org/stable/282938?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
note that servia was called moesia in ancient times ....now south serbia
or this below ?
https://aab-edu.net/assets/uploads/2016/12/03-Edi-Shukriu-anglisht.pdf
According to Strabo's Geographica (compiled 20 BC–23 AD), the Dardanii were divided into two sub-groups, the Galabri and the Thunaki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galabri
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunatae

Whether the Dardanians were an Illyrian or a Thracian people has been much debated and one view suggests that the area was originally populated with..."e] tribe of the Dardani [http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Strabo/7E*.html "To the Dardaniatae belong also the p265Galabrii,316 among whom is an ancient city,317 and the Thunatae," ] .

IMO, the Dardanii where neither illyrian nor thracian

UNTIL NOW

I HAVE SEEN NOTHING CURIOUS
AND NOTHING STRANGE,

except the Pharos coin King,
which is amazing,

Culture transmission, or culture conservation, or culture changes
was always in History,

so guys plz find something true amazing,
like the coin of Pharos Derite did.

UNTIL NOW

I HAVE SEEN NOTHING CURIOUS
AND NOTHING STRANGE,

except the Pharos coin King,
which is amazing,

Culture transmission, or culture conservation, or culture changes
was always in History,

so guys plz find something true amazing,
like the coin of Pharos Derite did.

And why you continue to post in this thread?

your #7

The Iapydes are alpine illyrian tribe as per text below
Those who gave him the most trouble were the Salassi, the transalpine Iapydes, the Segestani, the Dalmatians, the Daesitiatae, and the Pannonians, far distant from the Salassi, who occupy the higher Alpine mountains, difficult of access, the paths being narrow and hard to climb.
This is to with the great illyrian revolt against the romans from 6AD to 9AD .............illyrians are still stated as living in the alps , which to the romans in that part was called noricum ( east Austria )

Another funny coincidence. This one is very short.

In Albanian folklore, a Dhampir (sometimes spelled Dhompir dhampyre, dhamphir, or dhampyr) is a creature that is the result of a union between a vampire and a human. This union was usually between male vampires and female humans, with stories of female vampires mating with male humans being rare.

Etymology
The word dhampir is a conjunction of two Albanian words, "dhëmb(dham in Gheg)" (teeth) and "pirë" (drink).

On the official Vampire wikipedia you wont find Albanian language being mentioned, no way.
This is their etymology explanation. Please note that no etymology is produced, simply that it comes from Serbian "Vampir." Where did the serbs get it from?

"
Etymology

The Oxford English Dictionary dates the first appearance of the English word vampire (as vampyre) in English from 1734, in a travelogue titled Travels of Three English Gentlemen published in The Harleian Miscellany in 1745.[5] Vampires had already been discussed in French[6] and German literature.[7] After Austria gained control of northern Serbia and Oltenia with the Treaty of Passarowitz in 1718, officials noted the local practice of exhuming bodies and "killing vampires".[7] These reports, prepared between 1725 and 1732, received widespread publicity.[7] The English term was derived (possibly via French vampyre) from the German Vampir, in turn derived in the early 18th century from the Serbian vampir (Cyrillic: вампир).[8][9][10][11]The Serbian form has parallels in virtually all Slavic languages: Bulgarian and Macedonian вампир (vampir), Bosnian: vampir, Croatian vampir, Czech and Slovak upír, Polishwąpierz, and (perhaps East Slavic-influenced) upiór, Ukrainian упир (upyr), Russian упырь (upyr'), Belarusian упыр (upyr), from Old East Slavic упирь (upir') (many of these languages have also borrowed forms such as "vampir/wampir" subsequently from the West; these are distinct from the original local words for the creature). The exact etymology is unclear.[12] Among the proposed proto-Slavic forms are *ǫpyrь and *ǫpirь.[13]Another less widespread theory is that the Slavic languages have borrowed the [FONT=&quot] from a [/FONT]Turkic[FONT=&quot] term for "witch" (e.g., [/FONT]Tatar[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]ubyr).[13][14] Czech linguist Václav Machek proposes Slovak verb "vrepiť sa" (stick to, thrust into), or its hypothetical anagram "vperiť sa" (in Czech, the archaic verb "vpeřit" means "to thrust violently") as an etymological background, and thus translates "upír" as "someone who thrusts, bites".[15] An early use of the Old Russian word is in the anti-pagan treatise "Word of Saint Grigoriy" (Russian Слово святого Григория), dated variously to the 11th–13th centuries, where pagan worship of upyri is reported.[16][17]"

I mean i feel like i'm going crazy here, is there a task force that stays on wikipedia to just erase Albanians from anywhere. In this etymology, because theres no explanation they say maybe its from a turkic language and theres no issue.

In Albanian it literally means Teeth-Drinker...

I mean i feel like i'm going crazy here, is there a task force that stays on wikipedia to just erase Albanians from anywhere. In this etymology, because theres no explanation they say maybe its from a turkic language and theres no issue.

I feel the same way.
And i am pretty sure that anti-albanians are very active everywhere they can get their filthy fingers in. Especially on these wikipedia and wiktionary sites.
Just a sign that they know the truth and they have a fear of that truth getting out.

But the situation for Albanians are generally getting better compared to how it has been the last couple of hundreds of years.
Now that we are starting to get higher educations and the diaspora is bringing back knowledge from all around the world, i am sure that we can overcome these obstacles in a matter of generations. Or at least i hope so...

I feel the same way.
And i am pretty sure that anti-albanians are very active everywhere they can get their filthy fingers in. Especially on these wikipedia and wiktionary sites.
Just a sign that they know the truth and they have a fear of that truth getting out.

But the situation for Albanians are generally getting better compared to how it has been the last couple of hundreds of years.
Now that we are starting to get higher educations and the diaspora is bringing back knowledge from all around the world, i am sure that we can overcome these obstacles in a matter of generations. Or at least i hope so...

I hope so brother
Check your eupedia inbox

There actually are people who different governments hire just to deal with this. Just look at the discussion history of the wikipedia page on Epirus and you will see how it works.

Another funny coincidence. This one is very short.

In Albanian folklore, a Dhampir (sometimes spelled Dhompir dhampyre, dhamphir, or dhampyr) is a creature that is the result of a union between a vampire and a human. This union was usually between male vampires and female humans, with stories of female vampires mating with male humans being rare.

Etymology
The word dhampir is a conjunction of two Albanian words, "dhëmb(dham in Gheg)" (teeth) and "pirë" (drink).

On the official Vampire wikipedia you wont find Albanian language being mentioned, no way.
This is their etymology explanation. Please note that no etymology is produced, simply that it comes from Serbian "Vampir." Where did the serbs get it from?

"
Etymology

The Oxford English Dictionary dates the first appearance of the English word vampire (as vampyre) in English from 1734, in a travelogue titled Travels of Three English Gentlemen published in The Harleian Miscellany in 1745.[5] Vampires had already been discussed in French[6] and German literature.[7] After Austria gained control of northern Serbia and Oltenia with the Treaty of Passarowitz in 1718, officials noted the local practice of exhuming bodies and "killing vampires".[7] These reports, prepared between 1725 and 1732, received widespread publicity.[7] The English term was derived (possibly via French vampyre) from the German Vampir, in turn derived in the early 18th century from the Serbian vampir (Cyrillic: вампир).[8][9][10][11]The Serbian form has parallels in virtually all Slavic languages: Bulgarian and Macedonian вампир (vampir), Bosnian: vampir, Croatian vampir, Czech and Slovak upír, Polishwąpierz, and (perhaps East Slavic-influenced) upiór, Ukrainian упир (upyr), Russian упырь (upyr'), Belarusian упыр (upyr), from Old East Slavic упирь (upir') (many of these languages have also borrowed forms such as "vampir/wampir" subsequently from the West; these are distinct from the original local words for the creature). The exact etymology is unclear.[12] Among the proposed proto-Slavic forms are *ǫpyrь and *ǫpirь.[13]Another less widespread theory is that the Slavic languages have borrowed the from a Turkic term for "witch" (e.g., Tatarubyr).[13][14] Czech linguist Václav Machek proposes Slovak verb "vrepiť sa" (stick to, thrust into), or its hypothetical anagram "vperiť sa" (in Czech, the archaic verb "vpeřit" means "to thrust violently") as an etymological background, and thus translates "upír" as "someone who thrusts, bites".[15] An early use of the Old Russian word is in the anti-pagan treatise "Word of Saint Grigoriy" (Russian Слово святого Григория), dated variously to the 11th–13th centuries, where pagan worship of upyri is reported.[16][17]"

'Teeth drinker' is a little weird, isn't?

The PIE word that means drink is reconstructed as *peh₃.
In Greek and Hindi for some reason (but not Sanskrit?) there are words which are said that derive from *pih₃-n- (e.g. Attic pī́nō, Hindi pīnā)
Either way, pir- ('drink') could have existed in a language that inherited a word similar to those listed above, but in which n was shifted to r (like it happened in Albanian dialects, although there can be other explanations)

If what I said is true we need a language, in which a sound change (n->r) similar to the one happened in Tosk dialects took place.
And since a verb pir appears only in Albanian dialects, maybe the people who first used the word 'vampir' / 'wampir' were linguistically close to Albanians at least.

But we don't need a verb here but a noun that means 'drinker'. I would like to know how Albanian and Slavic languages form nouns like Engish 'drink-er' to be more sure, especially earlier varieties of those languages.

Concerning the first part of the root though, in Greek there is a word αἷμα hái̯ma (blood) (mGrk έma). In a dialect similar to Attic the 'blood drinker' (m.) would have been hai̯mopótεs / hai̯matopótεs
Maybe there was a language in Balkans with a word root *wām (?) ('blood')

There actually are people who different governments hire just to deal with this. Just look at the discussion history of the wikipedia page on Epirus and you will see how it works.
The "epirus ancient state" or "epirus region" page?
and in which language?

I cant find it

In Albanian it somehow feels very natural and makes sense, can't explain more in depth why.

You should download this book if you're more interested in Albanian Language. It's on LibGen and you could make use of it
if you have a linguistic background.

1301589.jpg

The "epirus ancient state" or "epirus region" page?
and in which language?

I cant find it

Well Wikipedia has actually deleted many of the old comments, but check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Epirus_(ancient_state). The people who have edited that page in the past are all quite biased, both Greeks and Albanians, but that Alexikoua person is an admin so his/her bias wins.

The old talk had a long discussion about sources. One of the administrators had completely removed all the authors who labeled the people of ancient Epirus as barbarians, and maintained the ones who regarded them as Greeks. Later they decided to include them but opening with an interpretation on how with "barbarians" these authors had not meant "foreigners" (check the "Culture" section of the same page), which I think is also biased and unnecessary. They should have just reported what the ancient authors say regardless of how they described the Epirotes.

The PIE word that means drink is reconstructed as *peh₃.
In Greek and Hindi for some reason (but not Sanskrit?) there are words which are said that derive from *pih₃-n- (e.g. Attic pī́nō, Hindi pīnā)
Either way, pir- ('drink') could have existed in a language that inherited a word similar to those listed above, but in which n was shifted to r (like it happened in Albanian dialects, although there can be other explanations)
If what I said is true we need a language, in which a sound change (n->r) similar to the one happened in Tosk dialects took place.
And since a verb pir appears only in Albanian dialects, maybe the people who first used the word 'vampir' / 'wampir' were linguistically close to Albanians at least.
But we don't need a verb here but a noun that means 'drinker'. I would like to know how Albanian and Slavic languages form nouns like Engish 'drink-er' to be more sure, especially earlier varieties of those languages.
Concerning the first part of the root though, in Greek there is a word αἷμα hái̯ma (blood) (mGrk έma). In a dialect similar to Attic the 'blood drinker' (m.) would have been hai̯mopótεs / hai̯matopótεs
Maybe there was a language in Balkans with a word root *wām (?) ('blood')

Sorry for my English, i will try to explain, maybe Johane can help me.
The verb drink in Albanian is pi.
Unë pi....... I drink
Ti pi........... You drink
Ai/Ajo pi.....He/She drinks.
Forma e kryer e foljes (Johane can help with the translation).
Unë kam pirë..... I have drunk, etc.
This is in Standard Albanian. Meanwhile in Geg dialects they say:
Unë kam pi.........I have drunk.
You have to take in consideration also that the correct form is pirë, or bukë for bread, but we use to say pir, buk, etc.
The Noun drinker in Albanian, in Standard is pirës or just pirs in dialect, or by not well educated people. Blood drinker in Albanian is gjakpirës or gjakpirs.
Meanwhile dhamb, as Johane explained is teeth in Geg dialects. Meanwhile in Standard and in Tosk dialects is dhëmb.
There is an curiosity. The word hurts in Standard and Geg dialects is dhemb meanwhile in Southern dialects, for example Labëria is again dhëmb identik with the word for teeth. And playing with words we use to say:
Përse i thonë dhëmb? Sepse të dhëmb.
Why we call it teeth? Because it hurts. You know, the pain of the teeth is terrible.
I hope that will be not difficult for you to understand my post, i know my limits in English especially in such a specific topic as linguistics.

This thread has been viewed 89093 times.

Back