World Cup 2022

704173f46f452f3d28397f7480a61afc.jpg

GOAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations Argentina. Congratulations Messi. A well deserved title.

Besides being happy for Messi and Argentina, I'm happy a team from the Americas won.

Gave me a few more white hairs,though.

Mbappe was amazing
But the goat and his team deserved
This win (y)
Happy for messi and the argentinian peoples
Long waiting since 1986 ;)

Also this will remain recorded in the history of the WC. The face of the Qatar representative is priceless. a
b5074cdad6e076e320a952617645b64c.jpg

Some of the old t-rolling is still surfacing in the commentary, as in "Well, the Argentines love him now, but they used to call him a traitor".

What is apparent to me is the loyalty these highly skilled and sought-after men have to the country of their birth. Angel di Maria, of 100% Italian ancestry, also has Italian citizenship. The same is true for Tagliafico. Messi, about 75% Italian and 25% Catalan, could have played for either country. I just read yesterday that Diego Maradonna was half Calabrian, so the same was true for him. Then there's MacAllister, Irish and Italian.

Yet they all have one thing in common. They all play for the Argentina national side.

Sometimes I think that Europeans can only see things through a European lens, People born in the Americas are "Americans". The old ties are just that, "old ties", respected perhaps, but not where the primary loyalty lies.

Old ties say nothing and sometimes are forgotten like in this case, new sense of community and belonging prevails.

Probably you don’t remember it. It seems that Maradona has forgotten his Italian roots.

https://youtu.be/svEx6iCV1s8

Old ties say nothing and sometimes are forgotten like in this case, new sense of community and belonging prevails.

Probably you don’t remember it. It seems that Maradona has forgotten his Italian roots.

https://youtu.be/svEx6iCV1s8

Giuseppe Rossi was born in Teaneck, NJ (Parents are from Abruzzo and Molise) but was on the 2006 Italian National Team.

Some (if not most) people don't give a crap about where they're born, because their blood heritage is more important to them.

Giuseppe Rossi was born in Teaneck, NJ but was on the 2006 Italian National Team.

Some people don't give a crap about where they're born, because their blood heritage is more important to them.

Are you sure about that? Choosing between playing Calcio for Italy, or playing soccer for US, does this really relate to nationality/ ethnicity or self interest, a difficult call? In 2006 WC you will have Camoranesi as well? He played for Italy because Argentina never call him?

This is how he describes the situation:

Camoranesi commented in an interview in regards to the World Cup victory: "I feel Argentine but I have worthily defended the colours of Italy. I think that nobody can say otherwise"

Are you sure about that? Choosing between playing Calcio for Italy, or playing soccer for US, does this really relate to nationality/ ethnicity or self interest, a difficult call? In 2006 WC you will have Camoranesi as well? He played for Italy because Argentina never call him?

This is how he describes the situation:

Camoranesi commented in an interview in regards to the World Cup victory: "I feel Argentine but I have worthily defended the colours of Italy. I think that nobody can say otherwise"

Money talks, I'm sure.

If I recall, Argentina went on the lose against Germany in that final in 1990.

Prior to that, Argentina had beaten Italy, who was up until that game undefeated, but lost in a shoot out. There's some members of my family who still hold a grudge about that.

But at any rate, good for Argentina in their victory in time around.

Money talks, I'm sure.

If I recall, Argentina went on the lose against Germany in that final in 1990.

Prior to that, Argentina had beaten Italy, who was up until that game undefeated, but lost in a shoot out. There's some members of my family who still hold a grudge about that.

But at any rate, good for Argentina in their victory in time around.

Yes Argentina lost against Germany. I am still surprised how the dislike that Italians have for German team was surpassed by that against Argentina team in 1990 (their compatriots after all). That Napoli game between Argentina and Italy reached very high levels of animosity that were reflected in the subsequent game in Rome.

Last edited:
The real question is: if your country of ancestry and your birth country were at war, to whom would you give aid.

I thought about that one quite a bit to test my allegiances. I never really came to a conclusion.

For my children it's a no brainer. They're Americans.

Anyone interested in how Italians felt about Marradona should watch the film "The Hand of God". :) Of course, there are a lot of better reasons to watch it. It's magnificent.

The real question is: if your country of ancestry and your birth country were at war, to whom would you give aid.

I thought about that one quite a bit to test my allegiances. I never really came to a conclusion.

For my children it's a no brainer. They're Americans.

Many Italians faced that question during WWII. I guess you have to go with who is on the right side if you are able to see the right from wrong.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in how Italians felt about Marradona should watch the film "The Hand of God". :) Of course, there are a lot of better reasons to watch it. It's magnificent.

Without wanting to disregard the great quality of the Italian film, this is the best “hand of God” of all time:

PS: Really I could see that I missed not having seen before the comment the scenes of the film's official trailer. It seems that the title of the film is inspired by this anthological goal by Diego Armando Maradona who, by the way, is the mayor idol footballer in the history of Napoli. ;)

Without wanting to disregard the great quality of the Italian film, this is the best “hand of God” of all time:

Really I could see that I missed not having seen before the comment the scenes of the film's official trailer. It seems that the title of the film is inspired by this anthological goal by Diego Armando Maradona who, by the way, is the mayor idol footballer in the history of Napoli. ;)

It's a play on words, indeed. Maradona, the futbol Hand of God, called that because of that controversial goal against England (which they've never forgiven), and the actual Hand of God, both changing the future, one bestowing life in a way, and one bestowing death and the resulting grief.

There are layers and layers of symbolism in the film, and of themes revolving around the nature of life and death, the search for life, which can sometimes drive you mad, and the certainty and capriciousness of death, which can do the same, as well as being a coming-of-age story, not just or even primarily sexually, but in terms of grappling with the big questions of life. I can't say enough good things about this film. I've watched it three times and I'm still not sure I understood all of it.

Comments of a Brazilian sportive journalist:
"Messi will arrive at PSG with the Cup title, Mbappé will arrive as top scorer in the Cup, and Neymar will arrive with a new hairstyle. So it is more or less this situation that we will have in the return to PSG of these athletes. It will be very interesting because this will be, probably, the situation in the locker rooms of the French club”.

This thread has been viewed 22101 times.

Back