Genetic study The Genetic Legacy of the Roman Imperial Rule in northern Italy

There is a big fat chunk of Classical Greek samples plotting with Mycenaeans in that Sicilian PCA. And the few more South-Eastern ones can easily be dismissed as mercenary outliers as there are twice as many outliers plotting way north of them.

The Roman Empire was the key architect of the Italian ethnogenesis with migrations from Western Asia under their control. It's the writing on the wall and I've been saying it for 2 years. Percentages are arguable.
The Roman assimilation of west Asia starts only at the end of II century BC. Before that, we have six centuries of Greek colonization (without considering bronze age contacts with the mycenean world) in Southern Italy during the Archaic, classical and hellenistic period.

Last edited:
The Roman assimilation of west Asia starts only at the end of II century BC. Before that, we have six centuries of Greek colonization (without considering bronze age contacts with the mycenean world) in Southern Italy during the Archaic, classical and hellenistic period.
Well said. To ihype's point I think there's little doubt west that west Asia had a genetic influence on Italy but the context of arrival of this type of ancestry appears through the Greek context much earlier than Rome's widespread conquests. That's what the data of himera and ischia are telling us at least.

Well said. To ihype's point I think there's little doubt west that west Asia had a genetic influence on Italy but the context of arrival of this type of ancestry appears through the Greek context much earlier than Rome's widespread conquests. That's what the data of himera and ischia are telling us at least.
I believe that too, after all the interaction between Greece and the west anatolian coast was intensively going on since the VIII century B.C., well before the hellenistic age or the roman annexationoof the West Asia province in 133 B.C.

I believe that too, after all the interaction between Greece and the west anatolian coast was intensively going on since the VIII century B.C., well before the hellenistic age or the roman annexationoof the West Asia province in 133 B.C.
Yes, that's precisely correct and many people seem to be unaware of this. Many are aware of Rome's highly visible and well documented conquests. Some are aware of the large scale Greek immigration to S. Italy in the Greek archaic era much prior to Alexander's conquests. Less so seem to understand that the bronze age collapse and the Greek dark ages included widespread population exchanges and cultural homogenization with Asia minor. For this reason Greeks that go on to colonize Magna Graecia are not only coming from Greece proper but west Anatolia as well.

Western_Asia_Minor_Greek_Colonization.svg.png

How do you explain late antiquity Romans from Marche, Lazio and Tuscany plotting like Southern Italians. Were Etruscans and Latins almost completely replaced by Southern Italian migrants?

How do you explain that non-Tuscan Central Italians are basically genetic clones of Southern Italians with some northern alleles from North Italy and Germanic people?

How do you explain late antiquity Romans from Marche, Lazio and Tuscany plotting like Southern Italians. Were Etruscans and Latins almost completely replaced by Southern Italian migrants?

How do you explain that non-Tuscan Central Italians are basically genetic clones of Southern Italians with some northern alleles from North Italy and Germanic people?
We have very few samples from late antiquity / early middle age central Italy, so It's quite difficult to draw conclusions yet. But I believe a genetic influence (not at a replacement level, of course) from Magna Grecia could be a strong possibility, far more plausible than an abrupt invasion of people from West Asia in 133 B.C. Maybe the set of samples we have from early middle age Turin (broadly tuscan-like) are somewhat representative of the italic-magnogreek milieu one could have found in many roman colonies of that time.

Secondly, I don't know where you get from that non-Tuscan Central Italians are genetic clones of Southern Italians with some northern admixture, but I don't think that's quite the case and I don't see how that could help in telling apart a Greek contribution from a west Asian one.

Last edited:
We have very few samples from late antiquity / early middle age central Italy, so It's quite difficult to draw conclusions yet. But I believe a genetic influence (not at a replacement level, of course) from Magna Grecia could be a strong possibility, far more plausible than an abrupt invasion of people from West Asia in 133 B.C. Maybe the set of samples we have from early middle age Turin (broadly tuscan-like) are somewhat representative of the italic-magnogreek milieu one could have found in many roman colonies of that time.

Secondly, I don't know where you get from that non-Tuscan Central Italians are genetic clones of Southern Italians with some northern admixture, but I don't think that's quite the case and I don't see how that could help in telling apart a Greek contribution from a west Asian one.
How do you think the genetic ethnogenesis of Lazio and Abruzzo Italians happened? Can you use G25 in your claims?

How do you think the genetic ethnogenesis of Lazio and Abruzzo Italians happened? Can you use G25 in your claims?
G25 seems to inflate quite a bit the distal and more exotic components, expecially in comparison with other calculators (I'm not an expert of calculators though)

As for central Italy (Lazio, Marche and Umbria - Tuscany is more northern-like while Abruzzo is more southern shifted), I think the major components were the italic and magnogreek ones, with other minor and more exotic (central european and eastern mediterranean) contributions, as mirrored in the Y-DNA.

In the most simple of terms they were shifted to a modern southern Italian type of profile at the end of the republic by the assimilation of Oscan speakers with Magna Graecian origins. During late antiquity and the middle ages they were shifted northwards by a steady flow of northern Italian migration. As a result modern Italians from Lazio and Abruzzo today are evenly intermediate between that of the ancient Aegean and Padanian Italic profiles, but not quite the same as the iron age Etruscan and Latin predecessors which founded Rome. It seems to me that Italians today with the exception of Sardinians derive their ancestors from northern and southern Italian iron age populations rather than central.

Last edited:
G25 seems to inflate quite a bit the distal and more exotic components, expecially in comparison with other calculators (I'm not an expert of calculators though)

As for central Italy (Lazio, Marche and Umbria - Tuscany is more northern-like while Abruzzo is more southern shifted), I think the major components were the italic and magnogreek ones, with other minor and more exotic (central european and eastern mediterranean) contributions, as mirrored in the Y-DNA.

In the most simple of terms they were shifted to a modern southern Italian type of profile at the end of the republic by the assimilation of Oscan speakers with Magna Graecian origins. During late antiquity and the middle ages they were shifted northwards by a steady flow of northern Italian migration. As a result modern Italians from Lazio and Abruzzo today are evenly intermediate between that of the ancient Aegean and Padanian Italic profiles, but not quite the same as the iron age Etruscan and Latin predecessors which founded Rome. It seems to me that Italians today with the exception of Sardinians derive their ancestors from northern and southern Italian iron age populations rather than central.
Distance to:Italian_Lazio
0.02305837Italian_Campania
0.02872994Italian_Calabria
0.05333614Greek_Dodecanese_Rhodes
0.06543909ITA_Ardea_Latini_IA

Wouldn't it require the bulk the population to be replaced in Lazio and even more in Abruzzo?

Last edited:
Proto-italic has its origins in Central Europe. This central European genetic component gets dramatically reduced over time but it leaves significant Y-dna in Italy through founder effects, largely through bands of fighting males sent away from their communities due to the rite of Ver Sacrum or similar practices. This occured throughout the Bronze and Iron Ages as the Italic languages were spread mainly through males who took local women in Italy. Central European dna was heavily diluted throughout the centuries because of this continuous process of male migrants/invaders being absorbed into the local genepool of a relatively high population already in Italy via Neolithic farmers.

Sometime probably before this during the Chalcolithic there was an increase in CHG and probably Ydna haplogroups like J2a throughout the Mediterranean including Southern Italy, bringing an East-Med like component to the area.
Later, Myceneans probably settled (to what extent I'm unsure) in different parts of Italy, carrying a similar, Greco-Aegean genetic profile.
Paleo-Balkan peoples like the Daunians and Messapics had a presence in Southeast Italy during the Iron Age and probably elsewhere in Italy to a lesser extent. Balkan input into Italian populations was probably occuring since the Bronze Age.
Magna-Grecians became a very large population component in Southern Italy through colonization and after the assimilation of these areas into the Roman Republic there was genetic mixing occuring between North and South over time, creating a population turnover. The Romans for the most part respected if not admired the Greeks and were probably welcoming of them as migrants to Central Italian regions.
All this in mind demonstrates how the Central European component would get swamped into almost nonexistence over time while the Y-dna (R1b-U152) would remain at relatively high levels in Northern Italy and somewhat in Central Italy.

An idea that I and some others hold is that the ancient Latin-Faliscans once had a larger territory with NW and Central Italy before being condensed to a smaller area by incoming Etruscans, Umbrians, Sabines etc... by the Late Bronze to Early Iron Age.
Etruscans may possibly have been just an elite class who's language and cultural practices predominated over a genetically Latin-Faliscan population. Osco-Umbrian peoples may have been more Paleo-Balkan shifted and the southernmost of these (Samnites, Lucanians, etc...) may have been much more heavily Greco-Aegean+Paleo Balkan in genetic profile again through dilution of Italic-proper dna via Ver Sacrum males genetically integrating into other populations.
Latium itself was heavily populated by Osco-Umbrian tribes and probably other peoples to a lesser extent by the time of the founding of Rome in 753 bc, leaving the Latins/Faliscans-proper restricted to smaller areas and dwindling population-wise compared to earlier periods.

I don't recall the G25 values or have them on hand but from what I recall, Iron Age Latini plots similar to Iberian and Southern France, as opposed to Eastern med. Ancient Etruscans appear somewhat more mixed but close to Latins overall. Population turnovers in central Italy seem to have occured starting with the Republican conquests and annexations of the rest of Italy and continued into the imperial period, which greatly increased the proportion of Greco-Aegean dna in Central Italy.
We still need to collect and test more ancient Latin/Faliscan, Osco-Umbrian, and Etruscan samples to have a better idea of all this though. The upcoming paper about the Picenes seems promising. I recall seeing another paper or two about the Etruscans in the making as well.

Last edited:

Wouldn't it require the bulk the population to be replaced in Lazio and even more in Abruzzo?

It wouldn't be quite a replacement, but I understand your point: it would indeed take a lot of settlers from Magna Grecia to produce such a change.

The fact is, if you postulate a genetic input from west Asia it would take just a little bit less people, but it a way shorter period of time.

Another possibility would be a less strong input, yet substantial, from the levant, but nor the YDNA nor the Qpadm models support such a scenario.

My bet is that the "prime mover" were the inhabitants from Magna Grecia after the roman unification of Italy and that this "italo-greek" population might be augmented by people from further east and forther north.

Magna grecia cities were pretty popolous and prosperous during the classical and hellenistic antiquity. Unfortunately I don't know how their number compare to that of the southern italic tribes, since it would be quite interesting.

Etruscans may possibly have been just an elite class who's language and cultural practices predominated over a genetically Latin-Faliscan population. Osco-Umbrian peoples may have been more Paleo-Balkan shifted and the southernmost of these (Samnites, Lucanians, etc...) may have been much more heavily Greco-Aegean+Paleo Balkan in genetic profile again through dilution of Italic-proper dna via Ver Sacrum males genetically integrating into other populations.

The idea that the Etruscans are an elite class who's language and cultural practices predominated over a genetically Latin-Faliscan population is considered a pseudoscientific concept that has been disavowed for years by archaeology, anthropology, archaeogenetics, and now even by some linguists. This concept is nothing more than a legacy of Herodotus' fable written around 400 B.C that the Lydians arrived in Italy and imposed themselves on the Umbrians, and who once arrived in Italy called themselves Tyrrhenians, which is the Greek name for the Etruscans. The interpretation that now enjoys the greatest consensus among scholars is that Herodotus' account does not contain actual events because it is the result of the Greek mentality; for the Greeks to claim that the Etruscans were of Lydian or Pelasgian origin was to say that the Etruscans were akin to the Greeks, because of the cultural and commercial relations that the Etruscans undoubtedly had for some centuries with the Greek world, including the eastern Greek world (i.e., Anatolia) and some Anatolian peoples. According to archaeologists there is now a consensus that the northern Italian area of Bologna and Verucchio should be considered fully Etruscan from the beginning and not as the result of colonization from Etruria (as is the case with the southernmost outposts of the Etruscans in Campania where the consensus remains that they were the result of colonization from Latium). If the Etruscans were in the Po Valley from the beginning and we consider them an elite that imposed itself on a Latin-Faliscan population, it means that the Latin-Faliscans were in a territory much farther north than their Iron Age settlement. This does not enjoy consensus either. The consensus among archaeologists is that as far as the Etruscans are concerned, there has been archaeological continuity since the end of the Bronze Age, when the Protovillanovan culture is attested, but the Late Bronze Age Protovillanovan culture is not considered to be the material expression of a single ethnic group (unlike the Villanovan culture of the Iron Age, which is identified only with the Etruscans).

For the rest, we have to wait for the studies to be published to see if the Osco-Umbrian speaking peoples and other populations really have a Paleo-Balkan shift or not. But as I have already written, there is a sample problem, which is probably why the studies have not yet been published.

What is noticeable is not only modern Italians compared to Iron Age populations but also other populations, including Albanians, have undergone a shift. But G25 remains an imperfect tool, there are not all academic samples published, and there is still a shortage of samples in academic studies for some periods and areas.

o8sJznh.png

7YmhpsP.png

7lNyeKK.png

It wouldn't be quite a replacement, but I understand your point: it would indeed take a lot of settlers from Magna Grecia to produce such a change.

The fact is, if you postulate a genetic input from west Asia it would take just a little bit less people, but it a way shorter period of time.

Another possibility would be a less strong input, yet substantial, from the levant, but nor the YDNA nor the Qpadm models support such a scenario.

My bet is that the "prime mover" were the inhabitants from Magna Grecia after the roman unification of Italy and that this "italo-greek" population might be augmented by people from further east and forther north.

Magna grecia cities were pretty popolous and prosperous during the classical and hellenistic antiquity. Unfortunately I don't know how their number compare to that of the southern italic tribes, since it would be quite interesting.
Considering during the Classical period the Greeks of Magna Graecia were Mycenaean-like and that the East Med profile requires heavy West Admixture would that imply more ( Hellenized West Asian) Greeks came during the Roman occupation of Magna Graecia than during the Greek colonization (the Classic ones) itself?

Quite interesting especially considering there was a dramatic decline in Syracuse before and during Roman rule considering the city peaked in 400BC on the other hand Rome was approaching 1 million.

The idea that the Etruscans are an elite class who's language and cultural practices predominated over a genetically Latin-Faliscan population is considered a pseudoscientific concept that has been disavowed for years by archaeology, anthropology, archaeogenetics, and now even by some linguists. This concept is nothing more than a legacy of Herodotus' fable written around 400 B.C that the Lydians arrived in Italy and imposed themselves on the Umbrians, and who once arrived in Italy called themselves Tyrrhenians, which is the Greek name for the Etruscans. The interpretation that now enjoys the greatest consensus among scholars is that Herodotus' account does not contain actual events because it is the result of the Greek mentality; for the Greeks to claim that the Etruscans were of Lydian or Pelasgian origin was to say that the Etruscans were akin to the Greeks, because of the cultural and commercial relations that the Etruscans undoubtedly had for some centuries with the Greek world, including the eastern Greek world (i.e., Anatolia) and some Anatolian peoples. According to archaeologists there is now a consensus that the northern Italian area of Bologna and Verucchio should be considered fully Etruscan from the beginning and not as the result of colonization from Etruria (as is the case with the southernmost outposts of the Etruscans in Campania where the consensus remains that they were the result of colonization from Latium). If the Etruscans were in the Po Valley from the beginning and we consider them an elite that imposed itself on a Latin-Faliscan population, it means that the Latin-Faliscans were in a territory much farther north than their Iron Age settlement. This does not enjoy consensus either. The consensus among archaeologists is that as far as the Etruscans are concerned, there has been archaeological continuity since the end of the Bronze Age, when the Protovillanovan culture is attested, but the Late Bronze Age Protovillanovan culture is not considered to be the material expression of a single ethnic group (unlike the Villanovan culture of the Iron Age, which is identified only with the Etruscans).

For the rest, we have to wait for the studies to be published to see if the Osco-Umbrian speaking peoples and other populations really have a Paleo-Balkan shift or not. But as I have already written, there is a sample problem, which is probably why the studies have not yet been published.

What is noticeable is not only modern Italians compared to Iron Age populations but also other populations, including Albanians, have undergone a shift. But G25 remains an imperfect tool, there are not all academic samples published, and there is still a shortage of samples in academic studies for some periods and areas.

o8sJznh.png

7YmhpsP.png

7lNyeKK.png
I agree with the bulk on what you stated...................but I do not recall Latin-Faliscan being a part of Etruscan, it only was used to refer to Romans and Venetic populace ( something to do with the Northern Balkans )

and

Etruscans became Villanovan with their time in the Romagna and below , they where never Proto-Villanovan like the northern "illyrian" group , ie, Liburnians, Japodes to name two ..........................I would like to see if there is a connection between latin-faliscan and protoVillanovan , that is what I will check out

Considering during the Classical period the Greeks of Magna Graecia were Mycenaean-like and that the East Med profile requires heavy West Admixture would that imply more ( Hellenized West Asian) Greeks came during the Roman occupation of Magna Graecia than during the Greek colonization (the Classic ones) itself?

Quite interesting especially considering there was a dramatic decline in Syracuse before and during Roman rule considering the city peaked in 400BC on the other hand Rome was approaching 1 million.

I'm not sure that classical greek colonists were quite mycenean-like: be aware that both the 409 and the 480 clusters from Himera have some Sicanian admixture that likely pull them apart from the east med cline (see the supplementary material at page 25 for reference). Some citizens of Himera, on the other hand, fall within this cline.

So, if I were to bet when this more anatolian admixed greeks came to Italy, I would say from the archaic to the hellenistic period. But this is just my guess and I may be completely wrong. But to me it just feels more realistic than an abroubt turn over right after the roman conquest of Asia.

Yes. It seems apparent so far that the IA Latin profile in C. Italy did not survive the republican era. We see this in Etruria and Latium so far, albeit Etruria seems slightly less impacted by this Aegean shift.

Himera will likely not be representative of Greece proper nor many other Poleis of Magna Graecia due to its heavy Sicanian admixture. Like Pontecagnano, it is demonstrative of a cline of increasing aegean ancestry rather than being fully Greek like in my opinion. Ischia, for example, showed a much more Sicilian like average than Himera both around the same time period and 400 years prior. The late bronze age samples I mentioned prior already confirmed a high number of individuals with a modern S. Italian type of profile and several leaked iron age PCAs of greeks again confirm significant sums of Sicilian like individuals.

Yes. It seems apparent so far that the IA Latin profile in C. Italy did not survive the republican era. We see this in Etruria and Latium so far, albeit Etruria seems slightly less impacted by this Aegean shift.

So (1) Approximately (in rough percentage terms) how IA Latin/Etruscan are modern central Italians?
(2) What genetic links do you notice between modern North Italians and IA Latins/Etruscans of central Italy?

So (1) Approximately (in rough percentage terms) how IA Latin/Etruscan are modern central Italians?
(2) What genetic links do you notice between modern North Italians and IA Latins/Etruscans of central Italy?
1. This is very difficult to answer because it depends entirely on what the makeup was of the Aegean profiles that caused the shift. We need much better sampling of Magna Graecia to determine this. The more Anatolian these magna graecian profiles were, the higher of a percentage of latin/etruscan makeup would've survived. If Magna Graecians were simply modern Sicilian and Dodecanese like and less so Anatolian then I would estimate very little survived as a modern Sicilian profile seems to have become standard to C. Italy in the years 31bc to 500ad.

2. Good question. The two are very closely related and exist on cline. Northern Italian profiles seem to have slightly less western hunter gatherer ancestry and slightly more Steppe + Caucasian ancestry comparatively but the difference is small and the two show significant overlap which suggests to me they indeed share a common origin. Several ancient authors have considered nothern Italian tribes such as the Raetics as belonging to the same stock or race as the Etruscans. It is my understanding that while they were not considered proper Etruscans due to civic or cultural reasons, these close ties between ancestral origin and language were well understood and acknowledged. If we are to define "Etruscan Ancestry" exclusively as the profile which was seen in IA central Italy I don't think these types left much of an impact on modern Italians, however if we agree to expand this definition to include IA northern Italics, I would speculate that this becomes the single most influential type of ancestry in Italy today. We don't actually have a published study of IA Italics at this point in time, but our bronze age samples from Broion broadly overlap modern Northern Italians, and our samples from Bardonecchia dated to 550AD again cluster precisely overtop of modern N. Italians, but more tightly in comparison. To me this implies strong homogenization and continuity in Po Valley and the surrounding alps - particularly when we factor in the very low WHG ancestry with this profile. Assuming this to be the case, about half of all Italians today can said to derive their background exclusively from an IA N. Italic profile, where as about one quarter can say the same with Imperial Romans of C./S. Italy.

Last edited:

It is a very complicated calculation, for a number of reasons. Not least because the genetic profile of Imperial Rome already contains local Iron Age DNA as well as that of alleged newcomers from the eastern Mediterranean. If you use the model supported by geneticists, Local Iron Age + Imperial Rome + Langobards, cosidering that Imperial Rome already contains local Iron Age DNA, nearly 30-40 percent very roughly, look at all the work Jovialis has done over time, it turns out that the Iron Age DNA in modern samples is something between 30 and 40 percent, if instead you just use the two-way model (Local Iron Age + Imperial Rome), the local Iron Age inheritance in the modern populations exceeds 60 percent.

In no way should these models below be taken literally (the distances are off for many tagets). Also because the Greek presence in Italy could be a game changer. For convenience I am using the G25 right now but all the datasheet nomeclature has been changed and I find it very confusing now.

wWQd9qN.png

ta3hiLW.png

Taking a step backwards, we refer to Etruscans and Latins as the same thing because they are the only published ones, along with the Daunians from Apulia and Sicanians from Sicily. From what geneticists have anticipated so far, this Etruscan-Latin like genetic profile was also shared by other peoples of Preroman Italy, the Samnites of Campania (this was said by Max Planck's geneticist Alissa Mittnik), and the Picenes of the Adriatic coast, two Osco-Umbrian-speaking peoples. Studies have not yet been published and we do not know if it will be confirmed. It is very possible that geneticists will argue that Iron Age peoples of northern Italy also had a similar profile (and this is certainly true for some areas of the Po Valley since they were inhabited by Etruscans). And here comes another issue, that of North Balkan influences from the Late Bronze Age with fewer WHGs carrying other assumptions.

Modern central Italians form two clusters (Raveane 2019), one consisting of individuals from Umbria (samples from Perugia), Marche (samples from Ancona), and Latium (I ignore where the samples came from), and the other from Tuscany (samples mainly from central and southern Tuscany, unclear TSI) going a little further north towards the Emilia samples. Your question can be answered if it is known for sure whether it is true that the genetic profile of Imperial Rome was everywhere as shown so far (for Tuscany if I remember correctly 4 samples from the southernmost areas, bordering Umbria and Latium), a mix of local Iron Age individuals and Imperial-era migrants from outside Italy, but this genetic profile is quite close to the cluster of modern Italians of southern Italy, and this may lead to other alternative hypotheses, and that therefore it was actually (also) movements from southern Italy that helped spread this profile of Imperial Rome. But at this point it is also necessary to answer the question of what was the genetic profile of southern Italy in the Iron Age, which was inhabited by Italic, non-Italic, and Greek populations from 800 BC. If what Posth 2021 claims is true, the idea that an Imperial Rome profile was anywhere, then there needs to be a significant northern European DNA contribution to have a genetic profile of modern central Italians. Otherwise the alternative is that there was (also) resurgence of an Iron Age genetic profile from more rural areas after the fall of Rome, this decreases both the northern European and the Imperial Rome contribution. If there is any truth in all the assumptions, it becomes really really difficult to get accurate results.

The ancient Veneti spoke a language that shows some affinity to the Latin-Faliscan group, and the Raeti spoke a language related to Etruscan, and the area from Bologna to Verucchio has been inhabited by Etruscans since the earliest Iron Age. Draw your own conclusions. Then there is also northwestern Italy (Golasecca, Ligurians), which is a less clear issue even archaeologically.

Modern Italians have now lower WHG because they have also changed compared to the Early Iron Age population. The question of how much Iron Age DNA is left in modern central Italians is a question that applies to all Italians. Not surprisingly, this study on northern Italy is being released. Those on southern Italy will also be published later. Although it is not a given that geneticists will give all the most accurate answers.

This thread has been viewed 15224 times.

Back