What is the most interesting Y-DNA haplogroup?

What haplogroup is the most interesting to you?

• R1a

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • R1b

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • T

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • G

• I1

• I2

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • E1b1b

• N1c

• J1

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • J2

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Q

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Melancon

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celto-Germanic (70% Cajun French - 30% English)
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b (S21) - Nordic
mtDNA haplogroup
H (H1) - Atlantid
Please choose what you believe to be the most interesting haplogroup in Europe; and explain to me why and how. Give your opinion in detail.

I, personally, would say haplogroup T is the most interesting. It is the most mysterious to me. I do believe many subclades of T were Caucasian in origin. But I am wondering how it got into Europe. I am surmising it originated in an Anatolian people; and was spread around Europe. Possibly by Greeks and Romans with Etruscan admixture.

What is interesting, is that Italy; especially in the Central region; carries this haplogroup at an over 7% frequency. It is almost completely absent in North Africa; which suggests a Near Eastern and Non-African origin. It couldn't have come there from Moors or other Muslim conquests.

Edit: Please don't vote for your own. Just because it's your haplogroup. If you vote for your own; please give a good explanation why.

Last edited:
As long as we don't all just vote for our own Haplogroups :)

I think G is really interesting, and represents something unique.

Write-in: C. It's extremely ancient; it has been showing up in several ancient samples; it's rare now in Europe but has an interesting distribution; lots of mystery.

Write-in: C. It's extremely ancient; it has been showing up in several ancient samples; it's rare now in Europe but has an interesting distribution; lots of mystery.
I was going to put in C and L. :( But I had already chose 11 answers to my poll and got lazy.

Not haplo wise, but the most controversal famous persons belong to E - Einstein, Hitler, Napoleon.. Good and evil geniuses.

Not haplo wise, but the most controversal famous persons belong to E - Einstein, Hitler, Napoleon.. Good and evil geniuses.
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life.

Want more opinions !! : /

For me T is most enigmatic. What group of people carried it around to spread around Europe?

For me T is most enigmatic. What group of people carried it around to spread around Europe?
I am guessing the Etruscans or the Raetic speakers; and people of Anatolia. It may have been picked up by Greeks, Romans and to a small degree; Celts.

I am guessing the Etruscans or the Raetic speakers; and people of Anatolia. It may have been picked up by Greeks, Romans and to a small degree; Celts.
Possibly. At the beginning however I'm sure they had something to do with Neolithic Farmers, perhaps in late Neolithic. Possibly something to do with Mediterranean seafaring culture, like Minoan Crete and others alike, before IE invasion. The lost sons of Atlantis? ;)
Haplogroup-T.gif

If they retest all K2 ( old T ) and K9 samples from all studies between 2000 to 2012, and find out if they where T or L , then the the story might be different.

With the Tarim Basin samples ,all noted and where R1a1 with one K9 , that K9 was retested and is T1a2 ..............something along this vein would make a difference.

When all is said and done, the only origin found for T is the pre-T marker, ...LT-P326 ............origins stated around eastern Iran/pakistan/india area

maybe L in europe would be interesting ,

I notice that there's a blob of haplogroup T in Russia, in pretty much the same spot as one of the main concentration points for a particular subclade of R1a (M558). Now I'm wondering why that is - I wouldn't expect to find any particular connection between T an R within the last several thousand years. I'm not surprised to find both at various levels in Europe, obviously, but why that one blob of T in that particular part of Russia?

Estonian T probably got there from culture in that Russian point. Some finno-ugric guys.

Possibly. At the beginning however I'm sure they had something to do with Neolithic Farmers, perhaps in late Neolithic. Possibly something to do with Mediterranean seafaring culture, like Minoan Crete and others alike, before IE invasion. The lost sons of Atlantis? ;)

It's interesting on that map how, in the Southern area of France; Haplogroup T seems to peak in France; where it is almost virtually absent in the North. (Brittany/Normandy) Marseille used to be an ancient Greek colony/trading post.

It also seen in Spain at a high frequency; which may suggest some Greek colonists may have had intermarriage with Celtiberian and Iberian/pre-Basque people. There was also probably a Roman dissemination several centuries later; during the Roman Empire which contributed to an even higher frequency in the Iberian peninsula.

It also peaks at the Northern tip of Estonia which is very interesting; and seems to suggest that this area may be a somewhat isolated region. Probably like Cantabria, Spain or the mountains of Switzerland.

It's interesting on that map how, in the Southern area of France; Haplogroup T seems to peak in France; where it is almost virtually absent in the North. (Brittany/Normandy) Marseille used to be an ancient Greek colony/trading post.

It also seen in Spain at a high frequency; which may suggest some Greek colonists may have had intermarriage with Celtiberian and Iberian/pre-Basque people. There was also probably a Roman dissemination several centuries later; during the Roman Empire which contributed to an even higher frequency in the Iberian peninsula.

It also peaks at the Northern tip of Estonia which is very interesting; and seems to suggest that this area may be a somewhat isolated region. Probably like Cantabria, Spain or the mountains of Switzerland.
It also peaks in places where ancient phoenicians used to live.

I notice that there's a blob of haplogroup T in Russia, in pretty much the same spot as one of the main concentration points for a particular subclade of R1a (M558). Now I'm wondering why that is - I wouldn't expect to find any particular connection between T an R within the last several thousand years. I'm not surprised to find both at various levels in Europe, obviously, but why that one blob of T in that particular part of Russia?

From what I read from the Gubina study in 2011, these are the Tuvians and Uyghur people ..................maybe they came out of the Kazaks as the study showed 38% where T.

but Kazaks where only created as a race in the 15th century from Uzbeks, Tajiks and Altai

From what I read from the Gubina study in 2011, these are the Tuvians and Uyghur people ..................maybe they came out of the Kazaks as the study showed 38% where T.

but Kazaks where only created as a race in the 15th century from Uzbeks, Tajiks and Altai

What are you talking about? Gubina's 2013 study of the population in the Altai-Sayan region? The spot I'm talking about is the one in western Russia. Why is there T there, in the same place that there's a heavy concentration of one particular subclade of R1a? And why is there T above that, in the Baltic? A migration of T from the Caucasus, obviously, but associated with what particular population movement?

What are you talking about? Gubina's 2013 study of the population in the Altai-Sayan region? The spot I'm talking about is the one in western Russia. Why is there T there, in the same place that there's a heavy concentration of one particular subclade of R1a? And why is there T above that, in the Baltic? A migration of T from the Caucasus, obviously, but associated with what particular population movement?
I don't have an explanation for that either. R1a and T co-existing together at a similar frequency in a population seems quite bizarre. Do you know which subclade is younger? Even more bizarre if the subclade of T was younger than the subclade of R1a.

I would guess; roughly, if the T subclades are older than R1a subclades ... then maybe most Uralic speakers were originally of predominantly Haplogroup T and then gradually absorbed R1a; long before N1c gradually came along and replaced them both as dominant haplogroups, as well. Haplogroup T and Haplogroup R1a then probably became minorities.

Edit: What would be particularly interesting is if we could try and study and determine the origins of both Uralic (Finno-Ugric) and Tyrsenian (Etruscan, Raetic) language groups. Both are non Indo-European languages that are assumed to have been born in the East. (Russia/Caucausus) and migrated West into Europe. I wonder if Tyrsenian peoples carried haplogroup T at a very high frequency. And wondering if there may be a relation between both language groups long long ago.

This thread has been viewed 36833 times.

Back