New map of Haplogroup I (all subclades)

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I have merged the maps of Y-haplogroups I1, I2a1 (former I2a) and I2a2 (former I2b). Here is what it looks like.

Haplogroup_I.gif

Here is another version with the political borders.

Haplogroup_I-borders.gif

You can see a slightly larger version by right-clicking over the map and choosing 'View Image'.

You can see a slightly larger version by right-clicking over the map and choosing 'View Image'.
just a question,
how were these maps created? I see different shades on areas where I doubt there have been that many studies.

Nice work Maciamo. Really helps pull everything together.

It looks like the Vandal's campaign into North Africa is now visible as well as the Norman's travel to Sicily. Plus it's interesting to see how widespread hg I is in Russia, even if it's only a light smattering. Very cool maps.

My island hideout theory holds up nicely with these maps. To avoid the onslaught of bronze weaponry and horse mounted fighters brought by early hg R, I've postulated that pockets of hg I sought the protection of Hvar, Sardinia, and the multitude of islands in the Bothian Gulf. I might be on to something.

(I still think the Basque hg R arrived in boats though.)

Plus it's interesting to see how widespread hg I is in Russia, even if it's only a light smattering. Very cool maps.

I guess it is makes sense considering the long viking presence there. Hmm, I wonder if the Communist revolution reduced haplogroup I significantly in Russia, since the nobles likely were HP I at a much higher rate.

Interesting concept Templar. I'm thinking Russian nobles (and really European too) started crowding hg I out of leadership roles long before the Communist Revolution though. The last ruling hg I family dates back to 13th century Sweden.

P.S. Good to see you back in the threads Templar!

Ivan the Terrible was Hg N of the Rurik dynasty, was most responsible for Russia's huge expansion into Siberia.

What explains all that I in eastern Turkey, northern Iraq and Iran? Is it more likely to be some very ancient presence, or did Alexander's soldiers have a blast in that area (seeing as how "Macedonia" is shown to be 20-30% I in that map)?

Nice work Maciamo. Really helps pull everything together.

It looks like the Vandal's campaign into North Africa is now visible as well as the Norman's travel to Sicily. Plus it's interesting to see how widespread hg I is in Russia, even if it's only a light smattering. Very cool maps.

You say so silly things. How is it possible to make conclusions about movements of people on the basis of a map made just for I haplo? We should at least have information about clades of I1 and I2 located in the certain territory and their TMRCA. All your dreams about Vandals with I haplo and vikings in Russia have nothing with reality. There were no vikings in Russia coz there's no haplos in Russia and Central and Eastern Europe with typical clades for Scandinavia. Folks with I1 and I2 clades in Russia of no douts came in Russia in two migration waves: first one - Fatyanovo people (migration from Southe Baltic region ~ 5200 bp), second wave - migration with R1a-z280 germanic people from Southe Baltic region in present day Russia (~1500 - 1300 bp).

P.S. Association of Fatyanovo culture with R1a folks is a mistake since there are no so old clades of R1a in Fatyanovo culture zone. It could be only I1 folks which later mixed with baltic and finnic people.

You say so silly things.

I'm glad I keep you entertained, I aim to please!

Now regarding the rest of your comment; if you read my comment carefully--I mentioned the Vandals' campaign in North Africa and the Normans' travel to Sicily. These are well documented facts. But you are correct in questioning my assertions that North Africa hg I can be directly linked to the Vandals-- it may very well be much, much older than that. I'd say most of North African hg I has an 80% chance of coming from Vandals. In Sicily, I'd put increased levels of hg I at 100% due to Norman influence though.

I never said in my earlier comment that Russia had it's hg I due to Viking influence. The majority of Russian I is probably much older than Viking Age actually, BUT there were definitely Vikings pillaging Russian villages back in the day just like they did to the British Isles. If you don't think the Vikings made it into Russia, I'm sorry but I'm not even going to send links proving they did--this is basic history.

There were no vikings in Russia coz there's no haplos in Russia and Central and Eastern Europe with typical clades for Scandinavia.

I beg to differ... I've found haplogroup I1 Z58+ Z140+ all the way DEEP into Siberia. There's also plenty of Ultra Norse (using K.N.'s terminology) in Russia. Please watch the BBC's three part special on Vikings-- this series talks in depth about the slave trade which is what pulled the Swedish Vikings (and probably some Danish too) Eastward.

**EDIT** Three part series I mentioned is called "Vikings" and was hosted by Neil Oliver (Scottish archelogist) in 2012.

Last edited:
I beg to differ... I've found haplogroup I1 Z58+ Z140+ all the way DEEP into Siberia. There's also plenty of Ultra Norse (using K.N.'s terminology) in Russia. Please watch the BBC's three part special on Vikings-- this series talks in depth about the slave trade which is what pulled the Swedish Vikings (and probably some Danish too) Eastward.

**EDIT** Three part series I mentioned is called "Vikings" and was hosted by Neil Oliver (Scottish archelogist) in 2012.

Keep on entertaining me, man. I said that there's no Scandinavian clades in Russian and Central and Eastern Europe. "Scandinavian clades" means clades typical for Scandinavia while you tell me about clades typical fro Elba -Oder region of South Baltic.

Here's the map for I1-z140 clades.

http://foto.rambler.ru/photos/511dcf95-cda7-de19-7d9e-8076b0bedf5b/

Which of these I1-z140 clades are Scandinavian and at the same time present in Central and Eastern Europe? Answer is none. As I said all I1 clades in Central and Easter Europe are from Elba-Oder region. There is only one exclusion it's Karelian clade but it has nothing to do with vikings.

I'm glad I keep you entertained, I aim to please!

Now regarding the rest of your comment; if you read my comment carefully--I mentioned the Vandals' campaign in North Africa and the Normans' travel to Sicily. These are well documented facts. But you are correct in questioning my assertions that North Africa hg I can be directly linked to the Vandals-- it may very well be much, much older than that. I'd say most of North African hg I has an 80% chance of coming from Vandals. In Sicily, I'd put increased levels of hg I at 100% due to Norman influence though.

Once again to make any conclusions about connections bitween Vandals and Normans in Africa and Sicily we should have at least the following information:
1) Presence of the specific clades of I1 or I2 in the region of interest ("specific" means clades that originated from the region of assumed migration, in this case clades of I1 and I2 from Central Europe and North Europe)
2) Age of these I1 and I2 clades should correlate with the period of presumed migration.

Taking into account the current information about distribution of I1 and I2 clades in Central and Western Europe the possibility that East Germanic tribes (Vandals, Goths and so on) were I1 or I2 folks is close to zero.

I never said in my earlier comment that Russia had it's hg I due to Viking influence. The majority of Russian I is probably much older than Viking Age actually, BUT there were definitely Vikings pillaging Russian villages back in the day just like they did to the British Isles. If you don't think the Vikings made it into Russia, I'm sorry but I'm not even going to send links proving they did--this is basic history.

Vikings never pillaged Russian villages (mabey only in your dreams), they pillaged South Baltic people while South Baltic people (they as well were called vikings since viking it's just way of living and making business) pillaged Sweden and Finland. If you do not know South Baltic vikings (Baltic people) burned down Sweden capitol.

This thread has been viewed 39268 times.

Back