africa

1. Archetype0ne

Genetics and material culture support repeated expansions into Paleolithic Eurasia...

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.18.444621v1 Genetics and material culture support repeated expansions into Paleolithic Eurasia from a population hub out of AfricaLeonardo Vallini , Giulia Marciani , Serena Aneli , Eugenio Bortolini , Stefano Benazzi , Telmo Pievani , Luca Pagani...
  2. Archetype0ne

Earliest known human burial in Africa

Published: 05 May 2021 Earliest known human burial in Africa María Martinón-Torres, Francesco d’Errico, […] Michael D. Petraglia Nature volume 593, pages95–100(2021)Cite this article 548 Altmetric Metrics https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03457-8.epdf...
  3. Jovialis

Non-West Eurasian DNA Studies from the Reich Lab Data Set

Here is a list on non-west Eurasian DNA studies that I have composed from the Reich Lab data set (March 2020 update). I have pruned them out of the project I am undertaking for ascertaining West Eurasian aDNA raw data. Nevertheless, it makes for a good reference for obtaining them in the...
  4. Anfänger

Ancient admixture into Africa from the ancestors of non-Africans

Ancient admixture into Africa from the ancestors of non-Africans Abstract Genetic diversity across human populations has been shaped by demographic history, making it possible to infer past demographic events from extant genomes. However, demographic inference in the ancient past is difficult...
  5. Maciamo

New Reich Lab paper on ancient West Africa finds missing 4th branch of humanity

Ancient West African foragers in the context of African population history Abstract Our knowledge of ancient human population structure in sub-Saharan Africa, particularly prior to the advent of food production, remains limited. Here we report genome-wide DNA data from four children—two of...
  6. Jovialis

Slowdown in African fertility rate linked to disruption of girls' education

A team of researchers with the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis has found a connection between fertility rates in many African countries and access to education for girls living in those countries. In their paper published Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the...
  7. Jovialis

New Thoughts on Africa’s Megafauna Extinctions

SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH—According to a Cosmos Magazine report, environmental changes are more likely to have wiped out Africa’s megafauna than is hunting by Homo erectus, which emerged some 1.9 million years ago and has previously been blamed for causing the extinctions. Paleoecologist Tyler Faith...
  8. Jovialis

Did Our Species Evolve in Subdivided Populations across Africa, & Why Does It Matter?

Did Our Species Evolve in Subdivided Populations across Africa, & Why Does It Matter? Highlights The view that Homo sapiens evolved from a single region/population within Africa has been given primacy in studies of human evolution. However, developments across multiple fields show that...
  9. Jovialis

Animals Teeth dating back 2 million years reveal details on ancient Africa's climate

New research out of South Africa's Wonderwerk Cave led by anthropologists at the University of Toronto (U of T) shows that the climate of the interior of southern Africa almost two million years ago was like no modern African environment—it was much wetter. In a paper published in Nature...
  10. Maciamo

HIV pandemic originated in Congo in the 1920's

An international team of scientists from the universities of Oxford in the UK and Leuven in Belgium reconstructed the history of the HIV pandemic using historical records and DNA samples of the virus dating back to the late 1950s. The origin of the pandemic can be traced back to the city of...
  11. Maciamo

Retracing the mtDNA haplogroups of the original R1b people

I have recently proposed a novel theory regarding the origins of haplogroup R1b. I believe that R1b1 (P25) people might have been among the first people to domesticate cattle in eastern Anatolia and northern Mesopotamia/Syria during the Pre-Pottery Neolithic period. I suggested that the P297...
  12. Maciamo

Correlating the mtDNA haplogroups of the original Y-haplogroup J1 and T1 herders

A recent paper on Madagascar Y-DNA and mtDNA made me realise that Y-haplogroups J1 and T1 probably both spread from the northern Zagros after having become nomadic herders during the Pre-Pottery Neolithic. Both haplogroups are usually found together in Europe, in the Arabian peninsula, Egypt...
  13. Maciamo

New map of mtDNA haplogroup L

MtDNA haplogroup L is the oldest maternal branch of humanity comprises almost all the lineages in sub-Saharan Africa. All Eurasian haplogroups descend from L3, the subclade that is the most common in the Arabian peninsula and North-East Africa. All four top branches of L (L0, L1, L2 and L3) are...
  14. Maciamo

New map of Red Sea (Horn of Africa) admixture

I thought it'd be interesting to visualise the distribution of the K10a's Red Sea admixture. It peaks in Ethiopia and Somalia, the region of origin of Y-DNA haplogroup E1b1b,and correlates fairly well with the distribution of E1b1b, except in northwestern Europe. Looks like E1b1b lineages were...
  15. Maciamo

New distribution map of haplogroup R1b in Eurasia and Africa

Eupedia is a website about Europe and so far I have limited the distribution maps of haplogroups to Europe and its periphery. But I thought it would be interesting to see the global distribution, especially in Asia since it is linked to the propagation of Indo-European people and languages. It...
  16. edao

The Khoi-San

Various Y-chromosome studies showed that the San carry some of the most divergent (oldest) Y-chromosome haplogroups. These haplogroups are specific sub-groups of haplogroups A and B, the two earliest branches on the human Y-chromosome tree. Mitochondrial DNA studies also showed evidence that...
  17. Maciamo

Root of Y-DNA phylogentic tree revised to 338,000 years (before Homo Sapiens)

A very exciting new paper was released yesterday, confirming the announcement four months ago that the common ancestor to all human male lineages lived much longer ago than what believed so far. An African American Paternal Lineage Adds an Extremely Ancient Root to the Human Y Chromosome...
  18. Maciamo

What percentage of ancestry is enough to make feel part of an ethnic group ?

Thanks to population genetics, we are becoming increasingly aware of just how mixed our ancestry really is. The old stereotypes about ethnic purity are meaningless when we think in term of genetic admixtures and deep ancestry spanning over 10,000 years or more. Yet, ethnic groups still exist...
  19. A. Tamar Chabadi

Age of mtDNA haplogroup L3: about 70 thousand years

Mol Biol Evol (2011) doi: 10.1093/molbev/msr245 The expansion of mtDNA haplogroup L3 within and out of Africa Pedro Soares et al. Although fossil remains show that anatomically modern humans dispersed out of Africa into the Near East ∼100–130 ka, genetic evidence from extant populations...
  20. L

South America and Africa to use nature to alleviate poverty

South America and Africa to use nature to alleviate poverty This week researchers from all corners of the globe will come together to discuss ways of tapping into Nature?s ?treasure chest? to reduce poverty, deliver sustainable growth and improve the lives of people in the most vulnerable...
Back