17 Reasons Not to Slit Your Wrists/My first thoughts after the election

King of Tokyo said:
1. It is against the law for George W. Bush to run for president again.

Bush'll probably try to have the 22nd Amendment nullified while he's at it for reasons of national security.

Honores mutant mores

Foxtrot Uniform said:
Bush'll probably try to have the 22nd Amendment nullified while he's at it for reasons of national security.

Honores mutant mores

Why do that when his brother can run instead! :p

Weird news. I thought: who would kill themselves over an election? I heard about the world trade center suicide and I thought: What a kook? Then I got an e-mail from my brother- a friend in Arizona commited suicide. An author, she e-mailed her suicide note to all her friends and cited a broken relationship and the election. Pause to think...

Would that be a separate case than the Georgia man who traveled to ground zero to take his life?

TwistedMac said:
moore's facts are all biased in his direction. He shows what he thinks will promote his agenda, nothing else. But the "opposition" is doing the exact same thing... It's the voter's job to find what's inbetween, because it's probably there the truth lies.

Those are very cogent words. I've also looked at the people disproving the disprovers, so this thing looks like it's going to go on forever. But, to me it still looks like Moore is intentionally deceitful, and I have a problem with that, no matter what my political leanings are.

Last edited:
Glenn said:
Would that be a separate case than the Georgia man who traveled to ground zero to take his life?

TwistedMac said:
moore's facts are all biased in his direction. He shows what he thinks will promote his agenda, nothing else. But the "opposition" is doing the exact same thing... It's the voter's job to find what's inbetween, because it's probably there the truth lies.

Those are very cogent words. I've also looked at the people disproving the disprovers, so this thing looks like it's going to go on forever. But, to me it still looks like Moore is intentionally deceitful, and I have a problem with that, no matter what my political leanings are.

I just love saying "the truth lies"... hehehe

Glenn said:
But, to me it still looks like Moore is intentionally deceitful, and I have a problem with that, no matter what my political leanings are.

Haha.. And Bush isn't? Oh, Please. Bush beats Moore in deceit ten-fold.

Glenn said:
What's your point? :?:clueless:

That Moore may not be the perfect liberal idol, but he sure as hell ain't worse than Bush.

That is my point. :wave:

That's great, but it's a bit irrelevant. I never made any claim that Bush was some wonderful leader, nor that he was always truthful. So, I don't see how he really figures into the conversation in the way that you implied.

King of Tokyo said:
Haha.. And Bush isn't? Oh, Please. Bush beats Moore in deceit ten-fold.

That makes it sound like I was making Bush out to be a saint, and I don't recall ever doing that.

that's a very long list of names there. I read a book called "Einen Bessern Findst Du Nicht" - ("You won't Find a Better one"), basically an autobiography of a German soldier in the Second World War. He argues that if, in every town, city and village, people saw, once a week, footage from a military field hospital, then "many ideas about war and heroism would be very different". When John Howard and George W Bush pay a visit to a military morgue, or talk to the US soldiers with brain damage, facial injuries and missing limbs, then i will take notice of what they have to say.

Dulce bellum inexpertis

(War is sweet and fitting to those who have no experience of it.)

If any pro-war supporters read this, then I also recommend you read Wilfred Owens poem "Dulce et Decorum". I can also recommend you check out the following site.
The site is in german and the photos are black and white, but they are the only i have found that show what shrapnel does to a human body.
http://www.stahlgewitter.com/

especially
http://www.stahlgewitter.net/
and
http://www.westfront.net/
You may be interested to see the photo "Wirkung einer Fliegerbombe" (Effect of an aerial bomb), although keep in mind that bombs these days have a bit larger blast radius. We are also blessed to have weapons such as daisycutters in these enlightened times. Would someone please explain again, why war was the absolute last resort?

Dulce bellum inexpertis.

smig said:
If any pro-war supporters read this, then I also recommend you read Wilfred Owens poem "Dulce et Decorum"

probably one of the finest pieces of poetry ever written. (Poe's The Raven being the best ever that I have read.. which brings a tear to my eye every time.)

(for the record, dulce et decorum est pro patria mori means "it is sweet and fitting to die for ones country(probably more like "fatherland")" going by the translation for dulce that smig set)

Dulce Et Decorum Est - Wilfred Owen

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys! --- An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And floundering like a man in fire or lime ---
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,---
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.