Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Europeans think of each other

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 0%

Ethnic group
    English with some recent Norwegian and more distant Huguenot, and dashes from the 'Celtic Fringe'.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    There are a few stereotypes in Greece about other EU countries

French: They are considered arrogant, they don't know how to speak English and even if they do they won't do it just to piss you off. They eat disgusting food like worms frogs etc and they talk like frogs. They don't wash and they use perfumes to cover the bad smells. They are considered fashionable and french clothing brands are the most popular here

Italians: The southern ones are considered all members of the mafia. Women are considered hot and sexy and the language erotic. They eat tons of pasta 10 times a day and also eat cats, horses and worms!!! Greeks like Italians in general and consider them "brothers" (una faccia una razza).

Germans: People here consider them cold and completely unsexy. They are bad in bed without imagination. German women are considered ugly cause of their height and wide shoulders (bone structure in general). There is still the stereotype from WWII that all German female athletes look like men due to too much steroids. They are organized and respect the laws

Dutch: They are constantly stoned and they only pay for sex.

Scandinavians: They are admired for their high standard of living but they are considered lousy in bed. Men here say that Swedish girls are good looking but in bed they are cold as ice. Scandinavian women in general are considered lesbians and feminists and men are considered unable to please their women turning them to lesbians...

Scotts: They are considered stingy and people call them "dagobert duck"

English: Their food is awfull. Men are considered gay and women bad in bed

Well in general all northern European women are considered bad/cold in bed by Greeks.

Spanish: Greeks like spanish people in general and the only stereotype that comes to my mind at the moment is that both men and women are considered very sexy and good in bed.

Eastern Europeans: Everybody is thought to be communist. They all have round faces and washed-out - "lifeless" hair colors. Russians are considered good with computers (hacking, cracking etc) and all russian sites will infect your computer with viruses/worms etc. :P
    So English men are, 'considered gay' are they? That is a bit rich coming from a Greek. Incidentally, sodomy is often referred to as 'Greek' in Britain.

1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 65

Ethnic group
    hun

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    russian protest songs with Vladimir Visotzky,
    it is really nice. try lube also, if you didnt yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3D_0OXDmfM

Level

Ethnic group
    English with some recent Norwegian and more distant Huguenot, and dashes from the 'Celtic Fringe'.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Interesting.

3 months registered

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a1b*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    German

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post

Hmmm... Maybe that explains why Turkish Baths are so popular male same sex aficionados!

1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 65

Ethnic group
    hun

Quote Originally Posted by Aristander View Post
    Hmmm... Maybe that explains why Turkish Baths are so popular male same sex aficionados!

http://alphadesigner.com/project-map...ereotypes.html

Level

Ethnic group

Good Lord! This forum is turning into a house of depravity, of unseemly lubricity even...

Marquis Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 51

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b1a3 V22+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c

Ethnic group
    Ethnic group of those who are going to die.

In Spain usually not too often stereotype others by their nationality and especially in Andalusia is very difficult to talk bad or criticize someone from another region of Spain or another country, it is easier to hear criticism in Catalonia from other Spanish or Europeans do not know what it is, but it is.

We know our historic failures and missed the train, the fact of being a country as rich as other Europeans long ago that critics are in the same direction, but we know the stereotypes that other Europeans think of us and makes us laugh, by ignorance.

Anyway Europeans who speak Spanish are more: English, French, Italian, German, Swedish

English: Violent, drunk and rowdy revelers.

French: Stakeholders, unsupportive, chauvinists, do not use soap are poured perfume, moody.

Germany: Men are heads blocks and German women are very good. Drink lots of beer. Is nice in general.

Sweden: Swedish men do not exist, only Swedish women.

Italian: The Spanish believe they fully understand the Italian language. Other stereotypes are related to Italian food.

Portuguese: Oh! are poor.

For ordinary people the rest of Europe is largely unknown or does not maintain a modern topical tradition, as they are now known to be due to immigration, as may be the case in Romania, it is better not express what word on the street.

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 323

Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius View Post
    Sterotypes I have found:
    I'll start with my own first, The English
    Stuck up. Look down on all other Europeans as they are all foreign and not English or British. Consider themselves as completely seperate from Europe, especially France. Bad food, bad teeth and drink nothing but tea. Abroad are loud, obnoxious and just why can't all these foreigners speak english?

The Scots
    Misers. Miserable and have never forgiven the English for the defeats they have inflicted on them in most of the battles. Strong willed and the Highland scots hate the lowland scots and visa versa. Alawys wear kilts and eat haggis.

The Irish
    Not very bright. Jolly and drunk. Like fighting. All of Ireland is nothing but small villages like Ballykissangel. Land of potatoes and whiskey

The French
    Arrogant. Hate anyone who isn't french, especially the english. Hate anyone who doesn't speak french, it is, after all, a langauge of culture. Lovers and have good food, as long as you like garlic. All men in France smoke bad cigarettes, wear striped t-shirts and ride old bicycles with oinions around ther necks. Hate Parisians, but then again the Parisians hate the rest of France. Eat frogs legs and drink huge amounts of wine. Have no idea what soap is.

The Italians
    Better known than the french for surrendering at the slightest sound of a gun. Hot headed lovers and knife wielding maniacs all out for vengence if you insult them, their family, cousins, towns, neighbours goat. Drive like lunatics in old Fiat 500s. Also known for being stylish in the cities, but the people in villages all dress like they have dropped out of the 19th century. eat nothing put pasta and tomatoes.

The Spanish
    Laid back and always asleep during the afternoon. Never rush at anything. Like nothing better than finding an innocent animal and finding a novel way of killing it do not know what a car is really for and which side of the road to drive on.

The Swiss
    Chocolate, cuckoo clocks and most of the world money. Most boring country in Europe.

The Germans
    Do not know what a sense of humour is, even the langauge sounds grumpy and unfunny. A habit of starting landwars in Europe. Like order and will not deviate from instructions. Tidy, neat, obsessive, in other words a country of anal retentives. Make good efficient cars with no soul. have no speed limit on the autobahns. Food is something to be desired consisting of nothing but sausages and pickled cabbage. Like beer, huge quanties of it.

The Dutch
    Most relaxed country in Europe as they are all stoned. Known for sticking fingers in holes in dykes.

Miserable I'll grant you; we are possibly the only people to make the Swedes look like a barrel of laughs. But it's hardly because of the defeats inflicted upon us by the English, since we won almost as many battles as we lost. And that includes the most important single battle in Scotland and Englands shared history - Bannockburn. After the 23rd and 24th of June 1314, no English monarch ever again attempted to conquer Scotland.

Yes, we lost several important battles after that, including Flodden. And Cromwell kicked seven shades of crap out of us - but then, Cromwell kicked everyone's ass.

History has proved that my people do two things very well indeed: invent things and kill large number of their fellow human beings. There is a joke that goes, "The Terror Threat Alert in Scotland has been raised from Pissed Off to Kill The Bastards! The Scots don't have any other Threat Levels, which is one reason why they have served on the front line of every war the British have fought for centuries."

Level

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCoutts View Post
    Miserable I'll grant you; we are possibly the only people to make the Swedes look like a barrel of laughs. But it's hardly because of the defeats inflicted upon us by the English, since we won almost as many battles as we lost. And that includes the most important single battle in Scotland and Englands shared history - Bannockburn. After the 23rd and 24th of June 1314, no English monarch ever again attempted to conquer Scotland.

Yes, we lost several important battles after that, including Flodden. And Cromwell kicked seven shades of crap out of us - but then, Cromwell kicked everyone's ass.

History has proved that my people do two things very well indeed: invent things and kill large number of their fellow human beings. There is a joke that goes, "The Terror Threat Alert in Scotland has been raised from Pissed Off to Kill The Bastards! The Scots don't have any other Threat Levels, which is one reason why they have served on the front line of every war the British have fought for centuries."
    I wouldn't crow too much about the relative absence of English military interventions post-1314. There are other ways of conquering that don't involve military violence. The Tories, surely an English political party and nothing else, rode roughshod over Scotland for years, even daring to use the Scots as Guinea Pigs for the Poll Tax idea. 'No-one touches me with impunity'.... an Englishwoman called Margaret Thatcher did!

Seasonal Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 760

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I am human
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I am human

Ethnic group
    I am citizen of the world, or you could call me Chiwanese

Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius View Post
    Sterotypes I have found:
    I'll start with my own first, The English
    Stuck up. Look down on all other Europeans as they are all foreign and not English or British. Consider themselves as completely seperate from Europe, especially France. Bad food, bad teeth and drink nothing but tea. Abroad are loud, obnoxious and just why can't all these foreigners speak english?
    The Scots
    Misers. Miserable and have never forgiven the English for the defeats they have inflicted on them in most of the battles. Strong willed and the Highland scots hate the lowland scots and visa versa. Alawys wear kilts and eat haggis.
    The Irish
    Not very bright. Jolly and drunk. Like fighting. All of Ireland is nothing but small villages like Ballykissangel. Land of potatoes and whiskey
    The French
    Arrogant. Hate anyone who isn't french, especially the english. Hate anyone who doesn't speak french, it is, after all, a langauge of culture. Lovers and have good food, as long as you like garlic. All men in France smoke bad cigarettes, wear striped t-shirts and ride old bicycles with oinions around ther necks. Hate Parisians, but then again the Parisians hate the rest of France. Eat frogs legs and drink huge amounts of wine. Have no idea what soap is.

This is so funny!!! I only recently learnt in Art History that the French never bathed themselves until after 1850, so every two months they needed to all move out of the palace and cleaned up. And yet they already had clean water running through for those lovely fountains, but in the beautiful “Versailles” there were no signs of constructions of the toilet or the bathroom! They were afraid to contract some sort of disease from the water, and they used perfume instead!

It is true the French don't make effort to understand English; my French professor thought that Scottish, Irish and English were all the same! I was the one who corrected her, she didn't even take my word for it, she had to confirm it with the Irish dude in my class, because "All Chinese people come from China" no wait she thought I was Japanese!

The Italians
    Better known than the french for surrendering at the slightest sound of a gun. Hot headed lovers and knife wielding maniacs all out for vengence if you insult them, their family, cousins, towns, neighbours goat. Drive like lunatics in old Fiat 500s. Also known for being stylish in the cities, but the people in villages all dress like they have dropped out of the 19th century. eat nothing put pasta and tomatoes.
    The Spanish
    Laid back and always asleep during the afternoon. Never rush at anything. Like nothing better than finding an innocent animal and finding a novel way of killing it do not know what a car is really for and which side of the road to drive on.
    They are loud, like Southern Italians and Portugese!

The Swiss
    Chocolate, cuckoo clocks and most of the world money. Most boring country in Europe.
    I think they are xenophobic
    The Germans
    Do not know what a sense of humour is, even the langauge sounds grumpy and unfunny. A habit of starting landwars in Europe. Like order and will not deviate from instructions. Tidy, neat, obsessive, in other words a country of anal retentives. Make good efficient cars with no soul. have no speed limit on the autobahns. Food is something to be desired consisting of nothing but sausages and pickled cabbage. Like beer, huge quanties of it.
    They love their heavy foods, and are fairly cold but not xenophobic, I think you need to know them pretty well to be considered as their friends, and otherwise you are just an acquaintance to them!

The Dutch
    Most relaxed country in Europe as they are all stoned. Known for sticking fingers in holes in dykes.
    I think they are way too obsessed with the ideal of freedom, and way too proud of it! My international relations professor said that too much freedom can be a threat to democracy especially when it is used in the wrong way!

桃李滿天下

aimless wanderer Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Regardless of what you've posted, Minty is back!!!

Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a2* SNP P312

Ethnic group
    Proto Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    I think they are way too obsessed with the ideal of freedom, and way too proud of it! My international relations professor said that too much freedom can be a threat to democracy especially when it is used in the wrong way!
    Who do you mean Minty?

And I guess your professor is right.

He seems to have read Ortega Y Gasset.

http://www.historyguide.org/europe/gasset.html

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I am human
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I am human

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Mzungu mchagga View Post
    Regardless of what you've posted, Minty is back!!!
    Recht schönen Dank!

I didn't know I have a fan here!

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I am human
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I am human

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaert View Post
    Who do you mean Minty?
    And I guess your professor is right.
    He seems to have read Ortega Y Gasset.
    http://www.historyguide.org/europe/gasset.html
    You knew what I meant Monsieur!

3 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by Carlitos View Post
    In Spain

French: Stakeholders, unsupportive, chauvinists, do not use soap are poured perfume, moody.
    It is rather a american cliche than a Spanish one. Spanish peoples have been immigrants in France from 19th century to the 80's, so it was the contrary : they were suffering from racism, a lot of "native" French saying that they were uncivilized, filthy, non integrable, the upper-classes children had not the right to play with their ones...

With the american way of life, their jokes about France have become now almost international.

Marquis Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 51

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b1a3 V22+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c

Ethnic group
    Ethnic group of those who are going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    It is rather a american cliche than a Spanish one. Spanish peoples have been immigrants in France from 19th century to the 80's, so it was the contrary : they were suffering from racism, a lot of "native" French saying that they were uncivilized, filthy, non integrable, the upper-classes children had not the right to play with their ones...

With the american way of life, their jokes about France have become now almost international.
    With the pumps that pull the blowhards are made corkscrews Cadiz, females thorough in this land when they are born and have been calling for war! War! War!

You may be right.

^ lynx ^

It wasn't merely xenophobia. Your country treated the spanish republicans like garbage in concentration camps created by the french goverment... they were treated worst than criminals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concent...amps_in_France

All because France was afraid of Franco and his friend Hitler. This makes me recall another usual french stereotype: Cowardice.

Greetings.

Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 369

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-S26
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    Celtiberians

Well, northern spain is way richer than south France. The french have always wanted to be like Germans or British, and have always regarded spaniards with disdain, even tough during history the spanish Empire the stereotype of French being COWARDS was known then.

Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

Given this and some other outrageous comments you have made, it is abundantly clear that you dislike Spaniards. How many other European ethnicities do you not like? I see something pathological here...

3 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by ^ lynx ^ View Post
    Your country treated the spanish republicans like garbage in concentration camps created by the french goverment
    I don't see the link with my post.

3 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    Well, northern spain is way richer than south France.
    More exactly, northern Spain has become now richer than some southern french regions. Thanks to European integration. Before the 80's, Spain was almost a thirld-world country.

The french have always wanted to be like Germans or British
    Not really. Basic germanophobia and anglophobia have not completely disappeared.

3 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    Given this and some other outrageous comments you have made
    I don't remember about any outrage.

it is abundantly clear that you dislike Spaniards.
    I don't dislike anyone. My post was just about the facts that I have observed with the Spanish immigrants in France some years ago.

How many other European ethnicities do you not like? I see something pathological here...
    0 + 0 = 0

Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 369

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-S26
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    Celtiberians

More exactly, northern Spain has become now richer than some southern french regions. Thanks to European integration. Before the 80's, Spain was almost a thirld-world country.
    Same with Ireland or Iceland. But Spain was not even part of the Marshall Plan, and had an autarchy during dictatorship.

Not really. Basic germanophobia and anglophobia have not completely disappeared.
    It is well known the admiration and almost of worship of France towards the "popular guys" (germany and Britain) and disdain towards spaniards. Maybe a complex ?? Because the spanish empire 'owned' the French.

^ lynx ^

I don't see the link with my post.
    Of course you don't.

3 months registered

Same with Ireland or Iceland.
    Iceland is not in European Union. Are you sure to reside in Europe ?

For Ireland, yes, and what does it change to the sense of my post ?

It is well known the admiration and almost of worship of France towards the "popular guys" (germany and Britain)
    You really don't know France.

Because the spanish empire 'owned' the French.
    ??

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast