just curious

tjlowery87

Reaction score
Ethnic group
english,bavaria.thats all i know
I was wondering how do other Germanic countrys view England?do they see England as another Germanic country or do they view England differently?culturely,genteicly.thanks

I was wondering how do other Germanic countrys view England?do they see England as another Germanic country or do they view England differently?culturely,genteicly.thanks

I have deep roots with the british isles in general so I see England as long lost cousins basically

thanks,i mean do other Germanic countries see englands as Germanic like neatherlands 0r do they see them celtic like whales or Scotland.

thanks,i mean do other Germanic countries see englands as Germanic like neatherlands 0r do they see them celtic like whales or Scotland.
Really depends on the person, personally I'd say the more west in the isles you go, the more concentrated Celtic heritage is present so I'd say us British or british hybrids either think of ourselves as Celto-Germanic Hybrids and some would say that we are all Germanic.

i have talked to a lot of English folks,who for some reason,denies the fact that English people have any Germanic history at all.why is that?

i have talked to a lot of English folks,who for some reason,denies the fact that English people have any Germanic history at all.why is that?

In my experience, that is largely due to the influence of Stephen Oppenheimer. It probably depends on the case though.

thanks sparkey that's what I thought

LOL-I see England as a cold, wet country that likes to eat kuri and make fun of Americans....and of course, where everyone drives on the wrong side of the road.

go Manchester United!(ha)

but I personally think the English are, overall an Anglo-Celtic mix or Germanic-Celtic mix to varying degrees......and with a small bit of Roman blood adding to it for some.

but I wouldnt think nations like Germany, Holland, Scandinavian nations, etc.... would see England as a Germanic nation culturally.
perhaps to some degree, but not like their own. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
To be honest and blunt, the opinions of English ethnicity is all over the place. I've met a few Germans who considered us Islander Saxons. I've met people who like to claim us descendants of mighty Celtic warriors, and people who still follow Oppenheimer's genetic research hold onto to the minority Saxon rule, and then there's people who claim English are 50/50, but then there's a loophole in the education system, most Old English history just isn't taught, well it wasn't for me. It went from the Brythonic tribes, Boudicca to Romans, to vikings, Normans and then the British Empire.

I've met Danish people and a few of them joked to me about Danelaw, and that we're distantly related although not the same.

The entire topic is just generally all over the place, probably due to lack of education. Most people think England = British Empire, that itself as a Nation only existed with Normans due to the famous date 1066. When most people say British, they think england, and most the actual "British" nations are excluded separately.

That's just my experience.

why have people forgotten about the anglo Saxons??why isn't England a Germanic nation?it surely isn't a celtic one.

To be honest and blunt, the opinions of English ethnicity is all over the place. I've met a few Germans who considered us Islander Saxons. I've met people who like to claim us descendants of mighty Celtic warriors, and people who still follow Oppenheimer's genetic research hold onto to the minority Saxon rule, and then there's people who claim English are 50/50, but then there's a loophole in the education system, most Old English history just isn't taught, well it wasn't for me. It went from the Brythonic tribes, Boudicca to Romans, to vikings, Normans and then the British Empire.

I've met Danish people and a few of them joked to me about Danelaw, and that we're distantly related although not the same.

The entire topic is just generally all over the place, probably due to lack of education. Most people think England = British Empire, that itself as a Nation only existed with Normans due to the famous date 1066. When most people say British, they think england, and most the actual "British" nations are excluded separately.

That's just my experience.

This is true. Everybody knows about the Celts and Vikings, but not the making of the core of who we are, in the early medieval period. I think it's at least in part due to an emphasis on things being 'British' rather than English. When i'm in a good mood i just think our cultural leaders are being ignorant or something, but sometimes it feels like they are deliberately trying to minimize the English ethno-cultural group in favour of British multiculturalism. To be honest from a political perspective it's not surprising. All we ever hear about is that the English are a mongrel nation, and everybody loves the Welsh and the Irish. I think many are partly afraid of England becoming more detached from the rest of the UK. Although this would be good for any conservatives in an English parliament, as England is so thoroughly conservative dominated that labour types would probably never get in government positions, only at a local level. I remember someone on another forum saying that Stephen Pollington had told them that the BBC have a line on this (minimizing the English identity and the impact of the Anglo-Saxons), which is why most of their programs follow this narrative, and they pull in people like Oppenheimer and other minimalists and give them more air time. It's to be expected given that this is our current 'cultural policy' and the BBC is primarily a tool of cultural propaganda, rather than just a tool for bringing news to people. It is pretty impartial in many other areas not related to cultural politics and current events, but in those two it's bias is clear, although not as bad as some American channels like Fox and CNN for example.

Might sound like a cynical view, but I've found if you don't take a cynical view you cannot understand what happens and why in the political world.

And of course people are getting less intelligent, and the propaganda systems more effective. It creates our norms of what is and what isn't accepted as an allowed viewpoint. While those with 'negative' viewpoints are only rarely chucked away somewhere, the social ostracisation in the media is probably more effective. It's pure genius to take a Machiavellian view of things. I'd say the propaganda of 50 years ago and earlier looks laughably amateurish compared to today, it's much more subtle and effective.

Anyway to answer the question in the OP - I've met people from other Germanic countries and it's pretty much a mix of opinions as English Lad says. Although in the academic world, academics here (now at least, since the 60s and 70s) prefer us to be non-Germanic while many in other Germanic countries prefer us to be akin to them. It varies by person, but it's shameful how many English people are surprised when you tell them the reality, and people seem to think that (we?) went from worshipping Celtic gods to Christianity in the Roman period, and then for some reason needed to be Christianised again (which is wrong on multiple levels of history), and fail to recognise the all-famous Vikings (yawn) as being not dissimilar to the English of two or three centuries earlier. They sort of have a 'blank spot' in their history, where it's CELTS, ROMANS, some blokes called anglosaxons who didn't do much, then VIKINGS, NORMANS, then the BLACK DEATH, then HENRY VIII, ELIZABETH I, and CIVIL WAR. I understand the emphasis on the later English history, as there are a lot more records of events (almost by the day in many cases, and it's very interesting don't get me wrong! :)) but from my own experience the part of the history of Britain between the Romans and the Vikings is usually taught in very basic detail in Keystage 2 or 3 and then tucked away in a cupboard somewhere. That's partly where my interest of it comes from, since it's like somebody robbed me of my history or portrayed it incorrectly, and as a historically minded person - that is only second worse to somebody killing a family member or something similar.

If i ever find myself teaching history i'll probably lose my job because i'd do my own thing. I'd much rather it if they just gave everyone the facts, overview, dates, different viewpoints and let them put it together. That is only the case some of the time. Even on some occasions you are conned into thinking more than one opinion is represented, but when you learn more about it you realise that history textbooks usually take a very particular opinion, that is the popular one not necessarily the most accurate one.

So we have increasingly stupid, propaganda fuelled and imperfectly educated people growing up in this country. Feels like we're Rome Circa 350 onwards, batton down the hatches because we haven't got the balls to keep ourselves strong anymore.

Anyway rant over...Basically from my own experiences they have a range of viewpoints, some know more about parts of our history than many here do, which is shameful on our part.

is England still culturally anglo saxon?

I think people are (understandably) less likely to see Britain as Anglo-Saxon than they are to see England as Anglo-Saxon, even though the English make up the vast majority of the English population. After all, Britain includes Scotland and Wales.

As for how the English see themselves, I find from talking to them that some of them see themselves as either Anglo-Norman or Anglo-Saxon, depending on what they think their class background is, but some of them do see themselves as more Celtic than anything else. But, for whatever reason, I've noticed that those who see themselves as Celtic are for some reason often the ones who feel negatively about the Irish, and aren't too keen on the Welsh or Scots either. I don't understand why any English person would pride themselves on their supposed Celtic background but not like those who retained some traces of Celtic culture. Perhaps it's just the individuals I happened to meet. A lot of them were involved with the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids, and wanted for some reason to see it as an English thing.

I think people are (understandably) less likely to see Britain as Anglo-Saxon than they are to see England as Anglo-Saxon, even though the English make up the vast majority of the English population. After all, Britain includes Scotland and Wales.

As for how the English see themselves, I find from talking to them that some of them see themselves as either Anglo-Norman or Anglo-Saxon, depending on what they think their class background is, but some of them do see themselves as more Celtic than anything else. But, for whatever reason, I've noticed that those who see themselves as Celtic are for some reason often the ones who feel negatively about the Irish, and aren't too keen on the Welsh or Scots either. I don't understand why any English person would pride themselves on their supposed Celtic background but not like those who retained some traces of Celtic culture. Perhaps it's just the individuals I happened to meet. A lot of them were involved with the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids, and wanted for some reason to see it as an English thing.

I think they are probably just confused, lol. Here's a map of people that identify to be English, lower in London for obvious reasons and in south-central because the people there are for the most part very PC, and also have strong ties to London in many cases. And of course Cornwall because it's well, Cornwall:

2013-01-14-EnglishID.jpg

ive always seen England as Germanic,just with a celtic strain

so they do not teach anglo saxon history in England?

so they do not teach anglo saxon history in England?

They do, but only briefly at earlier key-stages, or at university if you take a historical subject (although i don't know about history in general, it's often focused with more recent events, but i know you learn a bit in archaeology). I just think they should put a bit more priority on it than they currently do, and teach it at a slightly higher level.

in my own opinion I always thought there where 3 types of Germanic people.........german-germany,austria,lichenstein,etc..........Nordic-sandinavia................and anglo countries-England,austrellia,etc. just my opinion

This thread has been viewed 12698 times.

Back