just curious

in my own opinion I always thought there where 3 types of Germanic people.........german-germany,austria,lichenstein,etc..........Nordic-sandinavia................and anglo countries-England,austrellia,etc. just my opinion

Well linguistically you have North and West Germanic. North Germanic is split into East and West (Basically), and West Germanic is split into Low and High, English is a Low German language. Although i agree the Anglosphere is much more important to us culturally and linguistically than any other group.

ive always seen England as Germanic,just with a celtic strain

Prior to the invasions by the Angles, Saxons and the Jutes, which, as far as I know are the first serious of "invasions" as such, there would have been a certain amount of mixing between the countries which now comprise the UK and north western Europe. The Angles, Saxon and the Jutes were all Germanic. The later invasion by the Normans saw a slightly different mix introduced. Nationally, the Vikings, another Germanic group, influenced mainly the coastal area. Modern day UK, in my view would have to be regarded as having predominantly Brythonic/Germanic origins.

This thread has been viewed 12725 times.

Back