Laz 2014 or 15 Predicting Competition

Aberdeen people call La Brana-1 a Mesolithic Spaniard even though the Spanish language began to evolve 5,000 years after him. It's used for geographical reasons.

Aberdeen people call La Brana-1 a Mesolithic Spaniard even though the Spanish language began to evolve 5,000 years after him. It's used for geographical reasons.

Although "Mesolithic Iberian" would be more correct, the remains were found in what is now Spain, whereas I very much doubt that the probably EHG like folks who united with the Armenian like folk to become the Yamna came from what is now Karelia (i.e., the Russian Republic of Karelia, the Russian Leningrad Oblast and the North and South Karelia regions of Finland). The portion of the pre-Yamna folk who weren't "Armenian-like" would have been from central Russia, IMO, so "Karelia" fails as a geographic term.

Edit: While I was out socializing with friends this evening, not even thinking about this issue, a sudden thought popped into my head - if such smart people are using the term Karelian, is it because Y haplotype N and maybe I was found with Yamna? I doubt it myself, but that's the only way it would make any sense to apply "Karelian" to those people, if they were a mixture of R1a and N1c and maybe some I1. Not likely though, IMO.

Last edited:
Karelians are Finno-Permic people
President Putin is from Russian town Tver
The "Tverians" came from Karelia.
Tolkien(Lord of the Rings) wrote and used some myths and songs from Karelian people for his book, (the Elvish language is Karelian-Finnic).

But we talking about Mesolithic Karelians so....

it's a bit off topic but if 'elvish' is for Elfs language, it seems wrong to me: Tolkien took help rather on welsh language, I think?
maybe I'm wrong???

There are two languages (that were most popular) among Elves the Sindarin and the Quenya
The Quenya is partly based on Finnish-Karelian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quenya

In that case, my guess is that the Y haplotype type most common among the Quenya would be N1c and among the Sindarin it would be the DF 27 and 152 subclades of R1b.

Although "Mesolithic Iberian" would be more correct, the remains were found in what is now Spain, whereas I very much doubt that the probably EHG like folks who united with the Armenian like folk to become the Yamna came from what is now Karelia (i.e., the Russian Republic of Karelia, the Russian Leningrad Oblast and the North and South Karelia regions of Finland). The portion of the pre-Yamna folk who weren't "Armenian-like" would have been from central Russia, IMO, so "Karelia" fails as a geographic term.

Edit: While I was out socializing with friends this evening, not even thinking about this issue, a sudden thought popped into my head - if such smart people are using the term Karelian, is it because Y haplotype N and maybe I was found with Yamna? I doubt it myself, but that's the only way it would make any sense to apply "Karelian" to those people, if they were a mixture of R1a and N1c and maybe some I1. Not likely though, IMO.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if N is a part of the mix. Look at IR1.(The ancient distribution of N might have stretched all the way toward central Russia, as you pointed out. In fact, it might have reached the far northeast later.) I also think that we now know that J2 is part of the mix too. Then, there's that northern European (and northern Italian) younger cluster of G2a to consider as well. (which might be the royal lineage of France) It's actually R1a and R1b that suddenly seem a little iffy to me. What if R1a, in particular, wasn't actually "Indo-European" to begin with, but instead was Indo-Europeanized after the first stage?

There's that WHG jump that still has to be explained, among other things. What if the Cucuteni Trypillian culture, itself an offshoot of Vinca and Cris, absorbed some of the "R" lineages as it expanded east, and some WHG as well, more than was the case for the farmer cultures further west like LBK? This all took place during a warm period when the area would have been very suitable for agriculture. It happened with I1 after all, where a pre-Neolithic lineage was absorbed into the Neolithic culture,and then underwent its big expansion, probably becoming part of TRB.

(I posted the link to this Wiki article on the thread about the Trypillian temple, but I think it has implications for this discussion as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucuteni-Trypillian_culture)

Then, as happened enumerable times in eastern Europe, nomads from Asia appeared on the scene. That's what happened with the Huns, let's not forget, whose invasion caused the Germanic tribes to flee west into the Roman Empire, ultimately bringing about its downfall. In this particular case, perhaps there was a period of stasis, when "Kurgan" culture diffused west, in effect Kurganizing these people, but with very little gene flow. The following period would be more in the nature of a conquest, forcing the abandonment of the Cucuteni-Trypillian sites as people fled west and south, taking some metallurgy and other elements of the Kurgan culture with them. I think Greying Wanderer was implying something like this as well. Could this possibly explain the presence R1b in the west, at least, and a sample like BR1 which would be the product of this kind of mixing?

Perhaps R1a was in a slightly different area. It might have been further north, and spread both west along the northern tier, and east and then south and ultimately into Asia.

The inroads from the steppe proper would have continued in the Late Bronze Age, and further.

The other possibility is that R1b and R1a were always part of the mix, perhaps moving from the area of the Caspian onto the steppe (as Jean Manco and even Dienekes, I think, have always maintained), and joined perhaps by some J2, and G2a and meeting N there. Even if that's the case however, if the people of the western steppe, as well as the people of Samara, can be modeled as half "Ancient Karelian like" and half "Armenian like", how did the extra WHG become part of the mix? I suppose in that case either the western steppe had a lot more WHG, of unknown y lineage, or there was an increase of WHG just before the arrival of the Indo-Europeans, and perhaps then mixing with them. The WHG marginalized in the far northwest and far northeast or even scattered in between the farming settlements (why isn't there a map showing the number and size of both farming and HG sites in central Europe in the Middle Neolithic, for example?) may have finally adopted agriculture through the "Indo-European" invasions and then undergone their population expansion. (I believe Dienekes hypothesized that something like this might have happened, if I recall correctly.) I still think it's more likely that there wasn't all that much HG survival in central Europe. If we look at mtDna frequencies, the only WHG mtDna is basically U5 isn't it, and only some subclades of U5 at that? The U4 came from the east later.

Of course, one other possibility is that central Europe, as the result of repeated population crashes, was rather low in population of any kind at the time of the Indo-Eurpean arrivals. I know there was a recent paper about it. Someone should take a look at the specific dates.

Ed. Well, I dawdled on the way to the Italian bread display at my Italian supermarket last night because I suddenly started thinking about J2 migration paths, and some sneaky, aggressive Wall Street type in a Brooks Brothers suit snatched the last Brick Oven loaf right out from under my nose. It's dog eat dog out there.
laughing.gif
Seriously, I'm thinking about this way too much,even when I don't mean to do it!

Quenya would be N1c
Quenya->Kalevala
->Land of Kalevia
(Kalevia ~ Karelia)
Karelians have 57 of 140, 40,7% R1a
Possibly Karelians are R1a from late Mesolithic

You raised some interesting points, Angela, but I think that R1a was part of it and N1c arrived later, mostly because N1c is rare outside Russia and the Baltic states, whereas R1a is found throughout western Europe, although at somewhat low levels. And I think that can be explained by the fact that the main genetic impact of the Indo-European expansion would have been in eastern Europe, the Balkans and the route followed by the Hallstatt expansion. And while I think the D27 subclade of R1b probably arrived in Europe during the late Neolithic and the U106 subclade could have moved up from the Balkans into central Europe during the late Neolithic or Copper Age and only expanded into places like Britain during the Germanic expansion, I think the U152 subclade of R1b was either part of the original IE group or more likely was located in the western Ukraine or the northern Balkans at the time of the IE expansion and was one of the first groups to adopt the IE language and lifestyle, following the alpine meadows from Austria into Switzerland and northern Italy and eventually into France. But I could be wrong. We'll get some definite answers about the IE folk soon enough, I guess.

You raised some interesting points, Angela, but I think that R1a was part of it and N1c arrived later, mostly because N1c is rare outside Russia and the Baltic states, whereas R1a is found throughout western Europe, although at somewhat low levels. And I think that can be explained by the fact that the main genetic impact of the Indo-European expansion would have been in eastern Europe, the Balkans and the route followed by the Hallstatt expansion. And while I think the D27 subclade of R1b probably arrived in Europe during the late Neolithic and the U106 subclade could have moved up from the Balkans into central Europe during the late Neolithic or Copper Age and only expanded into places like Britain during the Germanic expansion, I think the U152 subclade of R1b was either part of the original IE group or more likely was located in the western Ukraine or the northern Balkans at the time of the IE expansion and was one of the first groups to adopt the IE language and lifestyle, following the alpine meadows from Austria into Switzerland and northern Italy and eventually into France. But I could be wrong. We'll get some definite answers about the IE folk soon enough, I guess.

It's fun to speculate, though, isn't it?

I actually don't think we disagree that much, except perhaps about N1c. I think it's more likely that R1a, at least, was part of the original group (the "Asian" clade, however) and that some R1b was in the western part of the Pontic Caspian steppe, whether as part of the "original" Indo-Europeans, or as a Kurganized group

Quenya->Kalevala
->Land of Kalevia
(Kalevia ~ Karelia)
Karelians have 57 of 140, 40,7% R1a
Possibly Karelians are R1a from late Mesolithic
Do you know Karelian subclades of R1a?

Wow, indeed old R1As, z282*. I know only the story of Corded folk that initially created camps also in boreal forests area, but did not survive there culturally, got assimilated by other cultures.
But earlier origin probably is also possible.

"if such smart people are using the term Karelian, is it because Y haplotype N and maybe I was found with Yamna? I doubt it myself, but that's the only way it would make any sense to apply "Karelian" to those people, if they were a mixture of R1a and N1c and maybe some I1"

I think it's quite likely that the Karelian-like segment had a similar autosomal component though not necessarily the male half. If the ANE existed west-east along one latitude band and there were other peoples west-east in the tundra zone above them then there might well be bride-swapping along the border.

edit: initially at least. if there was a kind of east to west steppe conveyor belt effect then ydna N would eventually get pulled in as well. if so then the early groups like Yamnaya might not have ydna N while the later groups do.

it's a bit off topic but if 'elvish' is for Elfs language, it seems wrong to me: Tolkien took help rather on welsh language, I think?
maybe I'm wrong???

being a nerd and already mentioned but IIRC the analogy is Quenya -> Sindarin is like the elf version of Latin -> French with Sindarin being the Welsh-like one.

I bet they find some more I2a just like every other study lol

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2014/12/the-surprising-origins-of-europeans/

"Patterson said that linguistic evidence has tracked the ancestral language, called “late proto-Indo-European” to about 3,500 years ago in the Caucasus, among a people who had wheeled vehicles at a time when they were just being put into use.

Genetic evidence ruled out one likely related group in the region, the Yamnaya, because their DNA showed the group had hunter-gatherer ancestry, which is inconsistent with the fact that two Indo-European groups, Armenians and Indians, don’t share it, Patterson said. That made Patterson look south, to the Maikop civilization, which likely had significant contact with the Yamnaya, as a plausible culture where Indo-European languages originated. Samples have been obtained from Maikop burial sites, but the DNA work to test that proposal is pending, Patterson said."

Did I just win this competition?

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2014/12/the-surprising-origins-of-europeans/

"Patterson said that linguistic evidence has tracked the ancestral language, called “late proto-Indo-European” to about 3,500 years ago in the Caucasus, among a people who had wheeled vehicles at a time when they were just being put into use.

Genetic evidence ruled out one likely related group in the region, the Yamnaya, because their DNA showed the group had hunter-gatherer ancestry, which is inconsistent with the fact that two Indo-European groups, Armenians and Indians, don’t share it, Patterson said. That made Patterson look south, to the Maikop civilization, which likely had significant contact with the Yamnaya, as a plausible culture where Indo-European languages originated. Samples have been obtained from Maikop burial sites, but the DNA work to test that proposal is pending, Patterson said."

Did I just win this competition?

You didn't mention any of that in your post. Besides what Patterson is saying is just theory, none of it is proven. None of what he said about ancient DNA is new info.

Indo European speakers in Asia may very well have EHG(East European Hunter gatherer) ancestry, just it's very minor. There are no ancient genomes from west and south Asia like there are from Europe. Reich, Laz, and Patterson have been able to break down European's ancestry very cleanly because of ancient genomes and can see clear EHG-type ancestry in modern ones, but they can't do that with west and south Asians, and so we can't say whether they have EHG ancestry or not.

Reich and Laz are supportive of the idea that Yamna-type people brought Indo European languages to Europe, and so it would be strange if a different people brought the same language family to Asia at the same time.

Indo Iranian languages(includes, Hindi) used to exist from Siberia to eastern Europe, and so it's very wrong to treat it as a west and south Asian language family. Plus Indo iranians share a R1a brother-clade to east Europeans, which is very likely derived of Yamna, and suggests Indo Iranian took a route through the steppe not Caucasus.

You didn't mention any of that in your post. Besides what Patterson is saying is just theory, none of it is proven. None of what he said about ancient DNA is new info.

Indo European speakers in Asia may very well have EHG(East European Hunter gatherer) ancestry, just it's very minor. There are no ancient genomes from west and south Asia like there are from Europe. Reich, Laz, and Patterson have been able to break down European's ancestry very cleanly because of ancient genomes and can see clear EHG-type ancestry in modern ones, but they can't do that with west and south Asians, and so we can't say whether they have EHG ancestry or not.

Reich and Laz are supportive of the idea that Yamna-type people brought Indo European languages to Europe, and so it would be strange if a different people brought the same language family to Asia at the same time.

Indo Iranian languages(includes, Hindi) used to exist from Siberia to eastern Europe, and so it's very wrong to treat it as a west and south Asian language family. Plus Indo iranians share a R1a brother-clade to east Europeans, which is very likely derived of Yamna, and suggests Indo Iranian took a route through the steppe not Caucasus.

Why would he totally rule them out though if they were mixed ancestry? Armenians and Indians have ANE

Not when proto-Iranians that invaded northern parts of India came from the Iranian Plateau (between Kurdish Zagros Mountains or Elbruz Range). The diversity of R1a* is the highest in West Asia and NOT in the Pontic Caspian Steppes NOR in the eastern Europe. Aryans that invaded India were J2a & R1a-Z93 folks. Aryans that belonged to J2a & R1a-Z93 had nothing to do with the Pontic-Caspian Steppes, because they arrived in SouthCentral Asia from a different place, namely the Iranian Plateau. There are many links between the Sumeria-Mesopotamia civilizations and the ancient Aryans...

This thread has been viewed 36910 times.

Back