Population History of Sardinia

Yes, that's Ogliastra plus Barbagia, they were inhabited by highland populations who rebelled often and were known to plunder both other Sardinians and the people living in continental Italy, especially the inhabitants of Pisa.

I wonder why Francalacci keeps pushing this story about Sardinians descending predominantly from Mesolithic Europeans because of their Y DNA when it is clear that most of their genome comes from Neolithic Anatolians. He's spreading misinformation in his interviews. He's also said that Oetzi came from the Caucasus because he had G2a.

I wonder why Francalacci keeps pushing this story about Sardinians descending predominantly from Mesolithic Europeans because of their Y DNA when it is clear that most of their genome comes from Neolithic Anatolians. He's spreading misinformation in his interviews. He's also said that Oetzi came from the Caucasus because he had G2a.

That's really unfortunate if he's doing that because it's totally incorrect. Someone should really send him a list of papers and ask if he's read them.

Is this study still a pre-print? Has been this paper published in any peer-reviewed scientific journal?

Did he really say that? Well, not a surprise. Some Italian geneticist have a certain tradition of unfortunate statements.

We've been discussing the Roman input into Sardinia. There may have been some, but I would bet none on the plateau from which the Sardinian academic pop gen samples come.

Check out this map of the Roman administrative divisions before the incorporation of Liguria. That Sardinian region was left strictly alone.

190_bc_italy_by_daeres-d5h6j0s.png
Messina (or Messana) was a Roman colony.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messina#History

Messina (or Messana) was a Roman colony.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messina#History

Messina has nothing to do with Sardinia. Why would you post about it here?

Furthermore, it was NOT a colony of Rome, as your own link makes clear. It was a colony of Greece allied with Rome.

You continue with your nonsense, t-rolling posts and you'll get infractions. Am I clear?

Messina has nothing to do with Sardinia. Why would you post about it here?

Furthermore, it was NOT a colony of Rome, as your own link makes clear. It was a colony of Greece allied with Rome.

You continue with your nonsense, t-rolling posts and you'll get infractions. Am I clear?
Romans recolonised Zancle and renamed it Messina.
And yes I understand I went off topic.

As per example myself, I have serious problems as I like to verify DNA data along historical infos. I'm traveling so I have not access to my PC but Y DNA shows some amounts of J's and African E's... but let genetists go alone without historians to check how much they can amaze us.

the new samples are avaiable, it would be interesting to know how they behave in the PCA compared to HGDP from Ogliastra

IMO they are halfway between Ogliastra and Spanish Italians

Utilizzando Tapatalk

What's a Spanish Italian?

Spanish AND Italians [emoji6]

Utilizzando Tapatalk

from a new paper

PgmNr 2719/T: Investigating Sardinian population history with ancient DNA"
"...To gain further insight, we analyze genome-wide capture data (~1.2 millions SNPs) of 26 ancient Sardinians spanning the Neolithic, Copper Age, and Bronze Age, including individuals from Sardinia's Nuragic culture. Merging this novel data with 998 previously studied aDNA samples from across Europe and throughout the last ten millennia, we are able to place the ancient Sardinian samples into the broader context of the peopling of Europe. We confirm that ancient Sardinian samples show a strong affinity to early Neolithic samples and a near complete absence of the “Steppe” ancestry associated with Bronze Age expansions on the mainland. Interestingly, we also detect elevated affinities with pre-Neolithic peoples of Europe...."

Utilizzando Tapatalk

the news is that they have found some steppe in nuragic sardinians (i suppose), probably less than 10%, despite they spoke a non indoeuropean language

and I M26 is mesolithic sardinian??? or they simply had extra WHG

Utilizzando Tapatalk

the news is that they have found some steppe in nuragic sardinians (i suppose), probably less than 10%, despite they spoke a non indoeuropean language

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Sorry,where are you getting 10%?

"a near complete absence of the “Steppe” ancestry associated with Bronze Age expansions on the mainland"

Also, as to the I-M26, if the blurb is correct, they don't have any Mesolithic samples; the earliest are from the Neolithic. So, all they could say, I think, is that it's a y lineage absorbed by Neolithic farmers, yes?

i said less than 10% it could be 2-3% i don't know

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Where is this news?

read the abstract, they say near complete abscence, so they have found something

Utilizzando Tapatalk

The paper hasn't been published yet. Somebody got a hold of the abstract of a paper that got presented at a conference.

Near complete absence of steppe is near complete absence. In this case, the ancient dna supports what academics concluded by looking at the autosomal dna of the isolate population living in the Barbagia of Sardinia: they are our best modern proxy for the pre-Indo-European people of southern Europe.

This thread has been viewed 41797 times.

Back