Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

Well, I have an ancestor surnamed Moritz, a napoleonic soldier who stayed in my land because of his injuries in 1809 and married to a local woman, from this surname and this man is the maternal surname of my mother, Moris, which is extremely uncommon and everybody who carry this surname in my land is close relative of mine. His existence was transmited generation by generation until today, we even know he has to return to his land some years later his marriage to arrange issues related to his heritage, and then came back to his home with his wife and sons and daughters in my land.

In 23&me I found some far relatives with 4 grandparents along the Rhin river between Luxembourg and Switzerland, Alsace and Baden-Wutemberg, where Moritz surname is quite common, so I suppose this man was from that area.

Well, I have an ancestor surnamed Moritz, a napoleonic soldier who stayed in my land because of his injuries in 1809 and married to a local woman, from this surname and this man is the maternal surname of my mother, Moris, which is extremely uncommon and everybody who carry this surname in my land is close relative of mine. His existence was transmited generation by generation until today, we even know he has to return to his land some years later his marriage to arrange issues related to his heritage, and then came back to his home with his wife and sons and daughters in my land.

In 23&me I found some far relatives with 4 grandparents along the Rhin river between Luxembourg and Switzerland, Alsace and Baden-Wutemberg, where Moritz surname is quite common, so I suppose this man was from that area.

Well, seems its real in your case. 1809 is not that far away, with an ancestor born between 1810-30 probably being half-German, that's significant and could come close to the 3 percent interestingly. The good thing about 23andme is you can check easily whether the segments are on the same chromosome etc.

Eastern European 70,8% (likely match Slovenia, others not detected)
Greek & Balkan 23,4 % (likely match Croatia, others not detected)
French & German 5,1 % (no specific location)

Haplogroups H1 and I-S17250.
[h=2][/h]

latin came from a language spoken in the Balkans

why Romanians/thracians/Dacians changed to a Latin based Roman language very very early in their roman history and give away what they spoke beforehand ................I have not seen this complete change in any other roman province........
Most likely the Latin spoken by the Romans was / came from a language spoken in the Balkans by the Dacians / Thracians. So it starts to make sense.

I thought that the new 23andme results were trash until I did some research. I did not understand how I was getting 2.9% Iranian oppose to 1.4% Anatolian in my 7.5% West Asian score, especially if I seem to be getting only Italian from my fathers side. With Sephardic Jewish ancestry I would have expected some Spanish to to along with Anatolian given the history of the Inquisition. Now I did have a Greek Christian name "Pappos" from my Great Great Grandmother, but no Greek ancestry in my report. I did however get an extra 10% Italian from something, so that would have to be related to the Sephardic ancestry seeing how Im already at 16.5% Ashkenazi. Understanding that I would indeed have inherited 35% from one grandparent and therefore a 17.5% mix of West Asian and Italian from "Ottoman Jewish", I would have to find out proof of that being a possibility besides just speculation or bad testing results.

Than I found this, seems like modern history may be just as complicated as ancient .

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...assachusetts/052566944B608C3FE2C686348E649047

So that would indeed explain the Iranian like ancestry. As far as the extra 10% Italian, it may be that 23andMe only tests a small percentage of your DNA, so Being half Italian, that was just over detected due to probability, seeing out most of the other ancestries are heavily mixed and harder to pick up.

dna_100.jpggreek and balkan.jpg
Kosovar Albanian
Results: 100% Greek/Balkan
Haplogroup: EV13

Both of my parents are Croatians from Bosnia and Herzegovina. My Y DNA is I-P109 and mtDNA is T2a1a.
23andMe autosomal shows:
100% European
80.7% Balkan
19.3% East European
no other regions. That is on Speculative settings though.

Upd…

dcKFhIP.jpg

98.7% Northwestern European:
69.4% British and Irish
20.0% Scandinavian
4.2% French and German
5.1% Broadly Northwestern European
1.3% Trace Ancestry

Merry christmas to everyone! Last year i took the myheritage as my first test, this year i bought a 23andme kit. The results came today!
They are pretty standard for a north italian.
My ydna turned out to be a r1b-u152, pretty similar as the predicted, and i discovered also my mtdna H1.
I haven't find a lot of information about H1, except it peaks around the bay of biscay and with some hotspots in north africa. If someone knows more, please tell me.

Immagine-2022-12-25-002328.jpg

Immagine-2022-12-25-002210.jpg

October 2023 update ... new feature: Genetic Groups ... cool :)

… Primarily inhabited by the ancient Messapii people before they were assimilated into the Roman Empire …

qPErjII.jpg

K1xmSze.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Syd
Latin ;)
Opera-Snapshot-2023-10-16-200612-you-23andme-com.png

I guess only the newer chip gets this update? Shame. At least ancestryDNA keeps providing updates.

This thread has been viewed 234493 times.

Back