Were pre-Slavic Albanians like ancient Illyrians?

Dema, I assume you are fighting the most recent academic studies on these populations, because you are not personally satisfied withwhat the results are showing. I am not giving you my personal speculation on these matters, but merely pointing out what the leading scholars in human population genetics are proposing. You are merely trying to reconcile disjointed maps, with dubious claims, which is rather obvious, that you are vying for a preferred interpretation. The fact of the matter is, the source populations that compose Albanians, are ultimately summed up in the modeling. You are predominately Anatolian Bronze Age derived. I know that isn’t cool on Eurogenes, but you must accept reality. Your ancestors, prior to Slavic invasions, were possibly even closer to these people. That is, if you look at it from the most logical perspective. Moreover, your obsession with Phoenician admixture with Greeks and Romans, is obviously coming from a place of insecurity. It is well known that Albanians dislike Greeks. However, you are in the minority, because most people do not subscribe to what ethno-nationalistic Abanians believe in. TBH, most people in the USA, or even Europe, probably wouldn't even be able to locate it on a map. I would recommend reading the studies, since you have admitted that you are ignorant of what they are. I’m not sure how things work in Albania, but in most other areas of the world, people come prepared with citable academic sources in these kinds of discussions.

Albanian ethno-nationalism has nothing to do with this. Dema belongs to J2b-m205, a group that has under 1% frequency in Albanian. (This is not l283).

He believes it is related to phoenicians so he is trying to attribute a big phoenician effect on greeks italians and albanians to present his particular haplogroup as important.

I am going to assume you haven't read my last several posts on this matter, so I will say it again.

What is pulling these populations towards their position, is Anatolian Bronze Age admixture, which has been in the central Mediterranean since the early Bronze Age. That is what professionals in this field subscribe to. If I have to say it 100,000 times, before every benighted fool in this hobby recognizes it, than so be it. I am not going to allow it to go unchecked, as long as I am involved in this hobby.

The study you cited, is from 2017, and it is a superficial treatment at best. I already have pointed to sources that demonstrate that there is overlap with ABA in Levantine populations in more recent studies. Do you comprehend that? ABA is 60% Anatolian_N, and 40% CHG.

JGuyyTE.png

I've come to the conclusion that people will believe what they choose to believe, no matter what the academic papers say. They'll pull out "models" done by God knows whom, using God knows what populations in the various inputs, with God knows what accuracy percentages, until they get the answer they want.

It's useless to expect any kind of disinterested logic. I mean, the fact that someone can seriously say that because a Greek like/Southern Italian like sample from the Imperial period carries a J2a lineage that happened to appear in a sample in the Levant proves that there was large scale migration from Phoenicia to Rome, and that this sample is therefore an admixed "Semite" should tell you everything you need to know about the level of reasoning and logic involved. I mean it never occurs to these people that these J2a lineages are also all over Anatolia.

I give you credit for keeping up the dialogue. I have no patience for this level of ignorance.

@Angela, You're right. But my patience as of today has been spent. There's only so many times I can point to the papers, for guidence.

@Johane, Yes it is now clear to me, that is what he is doing here.

Dema, I assume you are fighting the most recent academic studies on these populations, because you are not personally satisfied withwhat the results are showing. I am not giving you my personal speculation on these matters, but merely pointing out what the leading scholars in human population genetics are proposing. You are merely trying to reconcile disjointed maps, with dubious claims, which is rather obvious, that you are vying for a preferred interpretation.

I am not fighting anything, i gave my opinion which i believe is most logical due to all the given facts (Ydna, mtDNA, autosomal, history, archaeology, etc..), but somehow you are trying to attribute and you are actually fighting that Greeks, central and south Italians, and Albanians are being pulled clearly and are matching Middle East because of Anatolian Bronze Age, and like that is the only reason while you are completely ignoring East Mediterranean (Greeko - Phoenician) influence even tho there are clear Y-DNA, autosomal, and historical evidences.

I am not using outdated research lol, this is quote from research you are using and posting entire time:

Italian clusters separated into three main groups: Sardinia, Northern (North/Central-North Italy), and Southern Italy (South/Central-South Italy and Sicily); the first two were close to populations originally from Western Europe, while the last was closer to Middle Eastern groups (Fig. 1, A and B; figs. S1D and S2, A to C; and data file S1). These observations were confirmed using a subset of the dataset genotyped for a larger number of SNPs [high-density dataset (HDD) including 591,217 SNPs; see Materials and Methods and the Supplementary Materials; fig. S1D and data file S1]. To highlight the geographic distribution of the identified clusters along the Italian peninsula, we reconstructed the cluster composition of the various administrative regions of Italy by using the best sampling origin information available for each individual in our dataset (Fig. 1C and data file S1). Recent migrants and admixed individuals, as identified on the basis of their copying vectors (fig. S3, data file S2), were removed in subsequent CP/fS analyses (see Materials and Methods and the Supplementary Materials).

This is research, its link you gave : https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/9/eaaw3492.full

Clearly research says under conclusion that central and north italian groups are closer Middle Eastern groups. Are you denying Semitic Y-DNA found in Imperial and Middle Age Romans ? Which could not spread in Bronze Age because all the proofs say it spread later with Phoenicians or with Canaanites.

To think that only Slavic admixture pushes Albanians away from this sample and to celebrate like Angela celebrated few pages back fact that N Italians are closer to Illyrians is purely wishful thinking. And seems you cant comprehend with facts that we have various genetic mixtures here as Saxons, Nomans, Hungarians, etc, you just cant model all admixture and all clusters into for example 60 % Caucasus hunter-gatherer and 40 % Anatolia Neolithic, i hope you do understand this. You wont find what is pushing Albanians from I4331 Dalmatia by focusing on two hunter-gatherer groups that lived 20 000 years ago and two prepicked Bronze Age groups like ABA.

Do you understand that ABA is not so far from Levant Bronze Age, and that Levant Bronze age is 50 % CHG or ZGH (Zagros hunter-gatherer)

How you plan to isolate Middle Eastern cluster by looking at CHG when Bronze Age Middle East is also 50 % Caucasus and Zagros hunter gatherer.

Please dont mention hunter gatherers and population that lived 10 000 years ago when its clear that this is something more recent.

The fact of the matter is, the source populations that compose Albanians, are ultimately summed up in the modeling. You are predominately Anatolian Bronze Age derived. I know that isn’t cool on Eurogenes, but you must accept reality. Your ancestors, prior to Slavic invasions, were possibly even closer to these people. That is, if you look at it from the most logical perspective. Moreover, your obsession with Phoenician admixture with Greeks and Romans, is obviously coming from a place of insecurity.

Anatolian Bronze Age is derived from Caucasus and Zagros hunter-gatherers and natives therefore same as Bronze Age Levant and somewhat modern Fertile Crescent, therefore what you think is ABA its actually East Mediterranean which is very similar to ABA anyways if you look closer.

And regarding insecurities why would i have insecurities when clearly history says Phoenicians mixed with Greeks and Romans and Ydna just as autosomal DNA confirms it. It seems you have complexes because of Steppe haplogroup and its hard for you to accept that you are not 100 % steppe neither 100% ABA but mix of much more genetics and historical event as were iron age Phoenician and Greek colonies all over Mediterranean Sea.

It is well known that Albanians dislike Greeks. However, you are in the minority, because most people do not subscribe to what ethno-nationalistic Abanians believe in. TBH, most people in the USA, or even Europe, probably wouldn't even be able to locate it on a map. I would recommend reading the studies, since you have admitted that you are ignorant of what they are. I’m not sure how things work in Albania, but in most other areas of the world, people come prepared with citable academic sources in these kinds of discussions.

Albanians dont dislike anyone, Albanians are most peaceful and friendly people in the world. Albanians can be crude because of history they endured but Albanians are nothing like you are representing them. Albanians neither me personally dont hate Greeks and trying to represent pure historical facts like Greek intermixing with Phoenicians as my hatered towards Greeks is really ridiculous. I simply believe this is true due to all given facts, regarding population genetics, Y-DNA and mtDNA wise, but also other expertise fields like history, archaeology, linguistics, etc.

I already posted this:

Target: Albanian
Distance: 2.3822% / 0.02382156
36.8TUR_Barcin_N
35.0Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
25.4TUR_Tepecik_Ciftlik_N
2.2WHG
0.6RUS_Devils_Gate_Cave_N
TUR_Tepecik_Ciftlik_N is similar to what you call ABA, Barcin with CHG affinities.

I wouldn't say is the major component but it is there, present which was absent among those Dalmatian samples, Myceneans had less percentage. And, this ethno-nationalistic Albanian has become a scapegoat here lately.

You have no clue and this calculators are crap, copy pasting rows of crap gedmatch results wont take you anywhere closer to what you are hoping to discover.

Really opening thread stupid like this where you think that Slavic influence is only thing pushing Albanians from I4331 is really not serious to say at least.

Furthermore you have no clue about what Illyrian genetics was because you dont even know Illyrians didnt exist in 1600 BCE lol.

You have no clue and this calculators are crap, copy pasting rows of crap gedmatch results wont take you anywhere closer to what you are hoping to discover.

Really opening thread stupid like this where you think that Slavic influence is only thing pushing Albanians from I4331 is really not serious to say at least.

Furthermore you have no clue about what Illyrian genetics was because you dont even know Illyrians didnt exist in 1600 BCE lol.

I didn't open the thread, it was initially a post which was split into a thread (i suppose Angela did it).

And dude, your English grammar is terrible, your reasoning is even worse. Go on, and embarrass yourself, project your insecurities into us.

Albanian ethno-nationalism has nothing to do with this. Dema belongs to J2b-m205, a group that has under 1% frequency in Albanian. (This is not l283).
He believes it is related to phoenicians so he is trying to attribute a big phoenician effect on greeks italians and albanians to present his particular haplogroup as important.

J2-M205 as being primarily Bronze Age Fertile Crescent haplogroup for sure had huge effect on Mediterranean Sea as all modern religions come from this place and even alphabet and numbers you are using originate there. Ignoring this would not be wise to say at least.

My haplogroup being 1 % among Albanians, 3 % among Serbs, or 5 % among Cypriot Greeks have nothing to do with anything.

exactly because of low percentage, not so many branches, and somewhat low TMRCA. This haplogroup is very easy to track and for sure you could use it to track Bronze Age Levant population in naval way with ships colonizing and trading towards Mediterranean Sea.

I never seen you talk about haplogroups or do some serious Y-DNA analysis or trying to explain origin of E-v13 or your sublcade. I tryed to explain E-v13 origin countless times and talked about its branches and migrations and ancient DNA just as i did try to explore my own haplogroup also.

Yes i love to explore Y-DNA haplogroups also but everything what i say is reality. I have no need to imagine things or represent my haplogroup as important when it was clearly Bronze Age Fertile Crescent haplogroup its clear that it probably influenced entire world.

Percentages mean nothing, its just effect of procreation and luck in history, even rats can procreate so high percentage of some haplogroup is last thing i would take for a success

@ Angela i explained you like 5x already J haplogroups and that they split into 4 major branches J1, J2-L283, J2-M205, J2-M410.

Again after 5 times you dont know difference between Caucasus Neolithic and Anatolian Bronze Age J2-M410, and Zagros Neolithic and Levant Bronze Age J2-M205.

Its hard to me to explain you further if you dont understand these basics.

J2-M205 was an insignificant Y-DNA among Levantines/Canaanites as well, probably they were present in pockets here and there, in minority in comparison with Y-DNA J1 sub-clades and E-M35 which are the true Proto - Semitic lineages, especially the latter as the language bearer of Pre Proto-Semitic.

So she just used a ignorant who think Albanians are admixed only with Slavs and that is the only thing what is pushing them away from "Illyrian" sample which is not Illyrian at all in the first place.
So she can celebrate like some big success that Italians are closer to Illyrians. Which i would have nothing against if that was true but simply this is ridiculous which i argumented with facts. You thinking you understand anything because of rows of gedmatch results is even more redicilous to me. Which Jovialis also pointed out to you, and for once i agree with him.

Don Quixote,

You and Aspurg need to revisit your mental models about celebrations, this is about actual facts. The MBA Croatian had an Y-DNA common only among Albanians in particular. Anyway, Albanians look like an eastern version of Tuscans, more shifted toward Greeks and more Slavic influenced than Tuscans. That's what the facts point us.

Do you understand that ABA is not so far from Levant Bronze Age, and that Levant Bronze age is 50 % CHG or ZGH (Zagros hunter-gatherer)

From new study from less than 1 month ago:

Here, we report genome-wide data analyses from 110 ancient Near Eastern individuals spanning the Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age, a period characterized by intense interregional interactions for the Near East. We find that 6th millennium BCE populations of North/Central Anatolia and the Southern Caucasus shared mixed ancestry on a genetic cline that formed during the Neolithic between Western Anatolia and regions in today’s Southern Caucasus/Zagros. During the Late Chalcolithic and/or the Early Bronze Age, more than half of the Northern Levantine gene pool was replaced, while in the rest of Anatolia and the Southern Caucasus, we document genetic continuity with only transient gene flow. Additionally, we reveal a genetically distinct individual within the Late Bronze Age Northern Levant. Overall, our study uncovers multiple scales of population dynamics through time, from extensive admixture during the Neolithic period to long-distance mobility within the globalized societies of the Late Bronze Age.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867420305092

[/FONT]

Levant_BA is different from Anatolian_BA, because about half of Levant_BA admixture was retained from the previous population, that is different from Anatolian_BA. That is why the modeling Greeks, Albanians, and Italians, does not work with Levant_BA, but it does with Anatolian_BA. Just because your haplogroup happens to exist among Levant_BA, doesn't negate the fact that J2 is found all over Anatolia, and the Balkans, with the strong possibility it existed in other places at the time of Levant_BA.

J2-M205 was an insignificant Y-DNA among Levantines/Canaanites as well, probably they were present in pockets here and there, in minority in comparison with Y-DNA J1 sub-clades and E-M35 which are the true Proto - Semitic lineages, especially the latter as the language bearer of Pre Proto-Semitic.

This has nothing with this thread. but you have no clue how wrong you are. J2-M205 was consistently found in Levant Bronze Age aDNA.

Actually J1 and J2-M205 haplogroups completely occupied Bronze Age levant aDNA. Pre-semitic Mesolithic and Neolithic Levant was mix of E1b and T1 haplogroups with E1b being dominant in Mesolithic and T1 taking control and becoming major lines in Neolithic Fertile Crescent.

All J haplotypes have oldest bones in Paleolithic and Neolithic Zagros and Caucasus. While West Middle East in pre-semitic history was dominated by E1b and T1 tribes. However in time of Bronze Age since 3000 BCE when there is fact for first written Semitic language in Mesopotamia, its time when obviously Caucasus but also more likely Zagros populations conquered territory and since then both J1 and J2-M205 is consistently found in Levant Bronze Age aDNA. There is no J haplotypes in Middle East before Early Bronze Age.

Oldest proof for Semitic language existence is found in 3000 BCE Mesopotamia, therefore clearly in time when J haplotypes already took control of E1b and T1 tribes and so far i would say origin of Semitic lies in combination of various J haplogroups with probably J1 being more dominant or rather of higher percentage but i would not classify J2-M205 as insignificant because regarding aDNA is at least just as significant as J1 if not more because for such a small haplogroup we have extraordinary aDNA.

You would have to read at least 3 researches about this, as obviously everything is published and if you google i am sure you can find everything. But ofc i can post links and proves for everything if needed or asked.

And please dont bother me anymore, start learning haplogroups and Y-DNA. Dema out.

lol, your self-dellusion that you are knowledgeable about Y-DNA's remind of Don Quixote. We all know those information, don't be an arrogant parrot.

Proto-Semitic language doesn't have a Northern Mesopotamian/Zagros to Levant direction, it's the opposite considering it belongs to Afro-Asiatic language family. Obviously only two Y-DNA are major contenders: Y-DNA E-M35 and J1, with some minority J2b which is insignificant to this days, J2a is far more representative in Levant than J2b.

And yes, this thread is about Albanians, and you can do us a favour to shut your complexes, and don't derail discussions with your Y-DNA subclade, no one cares in this thread.

Levant_BA is different from Anatolian_BA, because about half of Levant_BA admixture was retained from the previous population, that is different from Anatolian_BA. That is why the modeling Greeks, Albanians, and Italians, does not work with Levant_BA, but it does with Anatolian_BA. Just because your haplogroup happens to exist among Levant_BA, doesn't negate the fact that J2 is found all over Anatolia, and the Balkans, with the strong possibility it existed in other places at the time of Levant_BA.

Yes i understood that, Anatolian_BA is similar to Levant_BA, but Levant_BA has probably more of its native Levant genetics which was regarding Y-DNA predominately E1b and T1. Probably mix of E1b (Africa), and T1 (branch which arrived from Caucasus). This makes a bit of problem in modeling but i am sure that according to SNP tests which was already done this can be revealed unlike in PCA plotting. I think researches already confirmed autosomal SNPs which Italians and Middle East shares if you read more carefully.

Regarding J2-M205 seems it has been small Zagros population which together with other J haplotypes where biggest of them was J1 spread from Zagros to Levant in Early Bronze Age. It has formed date 16000 ybp but TMRCA 5900 ybp. It has confirmed multiple 4500 ybp aDNA in Bronze Age Levant (Israel 2500 BCE, Jordan 2500 BCE, Phoenician Canaanite Sidon 1600 BCE).

Therefore all J2-M205 man share same ancestor with aDNA in Bronze Age Levant (4500 ybp) in timeframe of 5900 ybp. And all J2-M205 man come from one man who lived 5900 years ago.

Its split 16 000 years away from other closest J lines. Albanian J lines are predominately J2-L283 which split from J2-M205 16 000 years ago. Therefore entirely other migration and history. As i said Albanian J2-L283 is still mystery but they are probably Zagros Neolithic expansion to Caucasus where they were smaller population until picked up by R1b Yamnaya arrivals.

Greek J is predominately J2-M410, Earlier Caucasus and Zagros Neolithic, later ABA.

There is not a proof for single J2-M205 clade that it spread before Roman Empire into Europe.

Even after hundreds of tested ancient bones all over Europe there is no proof that any J1 or J2-M205 spread during Bronze Age Europe. But they are both found together consistently in Bronze Age Levant.

First appearance of J1-P58 and J2-M205 we see in Europe are from Ancient Rome study and they start to appear in Imperial Roman period. But since there was no data for republican and pre-republican time i assume they probably started to appear since Punic Wars until end of Byzantine Empire.

Among first J2-M205 aDNA was Roman Gladiator from England which again had clear Middle-Eastern autosomal https://j2-m172.info/2016/01/exogen...f-26-is-j2b1-m205-and-likely-middle-eastener/

He was found together with few other R1b gladiators.

Look J2-M205 in Yfull https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-M205/

Does this not look like Semitic haplogroup to you ? : )

Look what research says: even this should already confirm you what i am saying entire time:

[FONT=&quot]Strikingly, one Roman skeleton shows a clear signal of exogenous origin, with affinities pointing towards the Middle East, confirming the cosmopolitan character of the Empire, even at its northernmost fringes. […][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Seven ancient genomes are sampled from a cemetery in Roman York dated between the second and the fourth century AD […][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]the majority (6/7) of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Driffield Terrace[/FONT][FONT=&quot] samples belong to sub-lineages of R1b-L52/L11 […] Sample [/FONT][FONT=&quot]3DRIF-26[/FONT][FONT=&quot], on the other hand, despite belonging to the same burial context, presented a lineage consistent with haplogroup [/FONT][FONT=&quot]J2-L228[/FONT][FONT=&quot] […] majority were adults under 45 years old, male and most had evidence of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]decapitation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]

Read this paper to find out which lineage is a marker of Phoenician diffusion through the Mediterranean. If you continue spewing nonsense after reading this, you're out of here. We can't have people posting completely false information in direct contravention of academic studies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5945646/

That haplogroup is like 1% in Italians and Albanians, it is unlikely it is ultimately Semitic, even if it was it's like 1%, let it go.

I checked my mother
Matches in family finder
She have a matching segment in chromosome 9 with a person from kosovo
Which she didn't pass me :)
Balkan dna unite much more than what
People think.

P.s
This is the third albanian match she has,
The other two
one of them is also in chromosome 9 but in different place ...
The other one is in chromosome 1 ....:unsure:

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 65830 times.

Back