AI goes woke and refuses to create images of Caucasian people - after asking for photos of Popes, Vikings,..etc

real expert

Reaction score

Google Gemini is accused of being racist towards white people: Users claim the AI bot refuses to create images of Caucasian people - after asking for photos of Popes, Vikings, and country music fans​

• Google's 'next-generation model', Gemini 1.5, features image generation
  • Users have noted that the majority of generated images of people are not white
It's one of the most popular AI chatbots around the world.

But Google's Gemini has been accused of being racist towards white people.

The tool uses artificial intelligence to create images from prompts within seconds.

But users claim the AI bot refuses to create images of Caucasian people, after testing it with requests for Popes, Vikings, and country music fans.

'New game: Try to get Google Gemini to make an image of a Caucasian male. I have not been successful so far,' one user wrote on X (formerly Twitter).
Google launched its 'next-generation model', Gemini 1.5, last week, featuring the option for image generation.

'You can create captivating images in seconds with Gemini Apps,' Google said.

'From work, play, or anything in between, Gemini Apps can help you generate images to help bring your imagination to life.'

To create image, users can write simple prompts for the AI bot, with Google recommending these begin with words like draw, generate, and create.

Several eager fans have tested the tool out, creating images of everything from dogs riding surfboards to flying cars.

However, some early users have noted that the vast majority of images of people generated by the tool are not white.

The issue was first flagged on X by Frank J. Fleming, a former computer engineer and writer for children's TV.
Mr Fleming first asked Google Gemini to 'create an image of a Pope', and found that both creations were people of colour.

Next, he tried to 'come up with new ways of asking for a white person without explicitly saying so.'

However, his requests for images of medieval knights, someone eating a mayo sandwich on white bread, someone bad at dancing, a country music fan, and a Viking also only resulted in images of people of colour.

He eventually managed to create an image of a white man and a white woman when he asked Google Gemini for an image of 'people who might be named Seamus.'

Mr Fleming initially questioned whether the 'diversity' algorithm was to blame for the issue.

To test this theory, he asked the bot for images of Zulu warriors and samurais, but once again found that these were all depicted as people of colour.
Offhand, if it just tried to diversify any prompt (i.e, give his Latino Zulus), that seems easier than what's it's doing.

'It needs to first figure out if a prompt would normally be primarily white people, and only then force it to diversify by some algorithm.'

Another user specifically asked Google Gemini for an image of a Caucasian Pope, and claimed that the resulting image came 'with a free lecture.'

Alongside a picture of Pope Benedict, the tool wrote: 'While it's not appropriate to assume all Popes are Caucasian, many have been of European
descent.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-13108515/Google-Gemini-racist-white-people.html

81528535-13108515-_New_game_Try_to_get_Google_Gemini_to_make_an_image_of_a_Caucasi-a-52_1708517934102.jpg

'New game: Try to get Google Gemini to make an image of a Caucasian male. I have not been successful so far,' one user wrote on X (formerly Twitter)

81528547-13108515-The_issue_was_first_flagged_on_X_by_Frank_J_Fleming_a_former_com-a-54_1708517999493.jpg

81528539-13108515-Mr_Fleming_first_asked_Google_Gemini_to_create_an_image_of_a_Pop-a-56_1708518020328.jpg

'This is just interesting to me now as a programmer. I just want to poke at it now until I can figure out what the algorithm is,' he wrote.
81528541-13108515-Mr_Fleming_s_requests_for_images_of_medieval_knights_someone_eat-a-58_1708518079808.jpg

81528549-13108515-He_eventually_managed_to_create_an_image_of_a_white_man_and_a_wh-a-60_1708518097056.jpg

81528543-13108515-Another_user_specifically_asked_Google_Gemini_for_an_image_of_a_-a-62_1708518121946.jpg

81528533-13108515-One_user_vented_It_s_embarrassingly_hard_to_get_Google_Gemini_to-a-64_1708518154650.jpg

I feel like companies do this on purpose, because they know it is going to generate a lot of controversy.

Like the saying goes " any publicity is good publicity"

Frankly, it is absurd and stupid nonetheless.

I feel like companies do this on purpose, because they know it is going to generate a lot of controversy.

Like the saying goes " any publicity is good publicity"

Frankly, it is absurd and stupid nonetheless.
Sure , this kind of stuff also do a big damage on the actual anti racist strugle, as big corporations paint it as a irracional hysteria and their client buy this image.This just goes to show you actually don't need to be smart at all to get into a important position at google, you just need to be "blessed" by destiny.

Sure , this kind of stuff also do a big damage on the actual anti racist strugle, as big corporations paint it as a irracional hysteria and their client buy this image.This just goes to show you actually don't need to be smart at all to get into a important position at google, you just need to be "blessed" by destiny.
Whenever I go to a cultural event such as in the Met Art museum, Broadway show, or Opera in NYC, 90% of the audience, if not more are White people, with some East Asians, probably proportional to their demographic size. This is in a city that is very diverse, with no majority racial population. Despite that, there's great efforts to promote diversity in casting, etc. The thing is, most black and brown people do not care about going to see these events. They have their own interests that they take part in, and could care less. That is why outside of liberal cities, on a national scale, "Go woke, go broke" has a lot of merit. Furthermore, these productions within liberal cities are mostly supported by White patrons.

Whenever I go to a cultural event such as in the Met Art museum, Broadway show, or Opera in NYC, 90% of the audience, if not more are White people, with some East Asians, probably proportional to their demographic size. This is in a city that is very diverse, with no majority racial population. Despite that, there's great efforts to promote diversity in casting, etc. The thing is, most black and brown people do not care about going to see these events. They have their own interests that they take part in, and could care less. That is why outside of liberal cities, on a national scale, "Go woke, go broke" has a lot of merit. Furthermore, these productions within liberal cities are mostly supported by White patrons.
Whites have little place in the actual anti racist fight, most of it consists of feeling resented or guilty towards the "bad karma" they got along their more confortable lifes , and just trying not to bother non white people in living a dignified tranquile life. I tell you this as a brasilian, there is no way of going woke in the way you described here , unless you are totally upper class and lives in a white liberal buble, so our perspectives are of course very diferent, your coming from a country wich lived an extreme apartheid till quite recently.

Last edited:
Whites have little place in the actual anti racist fight, most of it consists of feeling resented or guilty towards the "bad karma" they got along their more confortable lifes , and just trying not to bother non white people in living a dignified tranquile life. I tell you this as a brasilian, there is no way of going woke in the way you described here , unless you are totally upper class and lives in a white liberal buble, so our perspectives are of course very diferent, your coming from a country wich lived an extreme apartheid till quite recently.
Frankly, I think only a small portion of Whites actually even feel guilty, most of them are like any other people; they just want to succeed and do well for their families. In discourse, especially public discourse, they will just repeat what is the most socially acceptable position. Like most people they may not even concern themselves too deeply in these matters. Most of the Woke stuff is merely lip-service, especially coming form big corporations, and politicians. There was a big story about how most of the new hires for high paying job went to racial minorities and women. However months later there were massive layoffs, most of which were the diversity hires. I personally think Woke-ism has peaked, but will drag on for years. Though people pretend as if woke-ism came out of left-field right after the George Floyd riots. Yes it was a watershed event, but it has been slowly trickling into the mainstream since probably the 90s, I'd say. It used to be referred to as "political correctness", later the term "SJW" (Social Justice Warrior) gained more currency, describing the proponents. In the 1970s, they would have been called "pinkos". Speaking of the George Floyd riots, it is not as reported but there was massive fraud and malfeasance that happened with the billions of dollars that corporations funneled into Black Lives Matter. The BLM organizations are not as talked about as it was during the 2020 election, and may have even lost a lot of political capital with a big part of the Democratic party with siding with more anti-vaccine, and pro-Palestine causes.

Most people are not liberal in the USA. An even smaller amount of those people would be White Liberals, even more so they may not be as impassioned about the race issues. What really motivates people on the Left I've noticed has more to do with abortion rights for example:

the woke nonsense is so annoying

This fits perfectly with the new "interpretation" of Ötzi the Iceman's phenotype.
Even the WHG to some degree.

Even if he had dark-skin, he was genetically closer to Swedes than Sub-Saharan Africans. Also the morphology of he facial features wouldn't be SSA.

It seems as if April fools has come over a month early.

This thread has been viewed 1354 times.

Back