Americans about Europe's(and World) geography and stereotypes

Eh . , I find that steriotypes can be very destructive like for example, Africans only like wattermellons, the Southern US being nothing but a bunch of hillbillies, etc. From looking at you guy's explaination I think its safe to say that I've had bad experience with steriotypes. :/

they might be ignorant about world history and geography because they don't care, but they're not negative or resentful about any country. Some have a superiority complex, but in a positive way, feeling that they are in charge to help people in the world with their problems. Canadians are more selfish, from what I have seen.

My 8th grade history teacher used to blame textbooks alot saying that they have a lot of mis leading information, some children just dont care about learn I found growing up and I find it a shame. :(

Eh . , I find that steriotypes can be very destructive like for example, Africans only like wattermellons, the Southern US being nothing but a bunch of hillbillies, etc. From looking at you guy's explaination I think its safe to say that I've had bad experience with steriotypes. :/

Serbs generally have bad experience wit stereotypes. Although some things are completely false about Serbs, it is impossible to correct.

For me is interesting question how stereotypes became and arise. I don't know if someone is involved in serious and scientific research about it. I would like if someone can recommend appropriate literature.

I have also realised that being black in America is a separate ethnic group-African American.

They are confuse if some people come from Africa to live in the US, and they say we are not African American, but have own Ethnisicty abd country of origin. If some Americans insist to call recent commers from Afica-"African American", they get even more confused if I ask-" Can then People from Marroco, Algeria, Libya...be called African American? ;)

Generally African-American refers to the Africans brought in as slaves to America in colonial times who have developed their own unique American sub-culture since then.

While I notice people from Somalia or Ethiopia who come to America are called "Somalians". On paper they may check the box that says African-American but people here in general distinguish between an African American and a "new-African" immigrant from Africa.

In America just about ALL Muslims are called "Arabs" even if, for example, they are Persian and dont speak a word of Arabic.
Plus, most Americans are too ignorant to realize there are many muslims in places like the phillipinnes and in also places like Albania as well.

If someone from Spain or Portugal came to America, they would probably bee seen as a "Mexican" or "Hispanic"

My own ethnic label is "Cracker-Honkey American" as I am of mixed Cracker-American and Honkey-American ancestry. lol

Serbs generally have bad experience wit stereotypes. Although some things are completely false about Serbs, it is impossible to correct.

For me is interesting question how stereotypes became and arise. I don't know if someone is involved in serious and scientific research about it. I would like if someone can recommend appropriate literature.
I know a girl born in America to Serbian parents. They go back to Serbia every year to see her family. She taught me alot of what it's like.

From what she told me, many Serbians have a general dislike for the American government. Not for Americans themselves but for the American government because of the sanctions placed on Serbia in the 90's that have yet to be lifted and is still forcing the economy to be screwed up in a major way. I just thought that was interesting.

This thread has been viewed 28344 times.

Back