An Early Slavic subterranean shrine?

Kunigunda

Reaction score
Apparently, a shrine was discovered in a cave in Slovenia, and this paper argues that it is an Early Slavic shrine, dedicated to Perun (or Kresnik).

(Here should be a link to the article, yet it seems I am not yet allowed to post them. Will this work? Just remove the space before the "edu" and put it all in one row:

academia. edu/
15361816/
Cave_of_Iapodes_and_its_petroglyphs_
an_Early_Slavic_shrine_of_Perun_Kresnik

There are some petroglyphs in the cave, and if they really are images of Perun, they are quite unique, as there is practically no extant ("original") images of Slavic gods.

What do you think?
Edit: please use the link Sile kindly provided in reply no. 4. Thanks.

http://www.academia.edu/15361816/Ca...lyphs_an_Early_Slavic_shrine_of_Perun_Kresnik

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, even better: google this: "Cave of Iapodes and its petroglyphs" - it is the first hit ...

Last edited:
Apparently, a shrine was discovered in a cave in Slovenia, and this paper argues that it is an Early Slavic shrine, dedicated to Perun (or Kresnik).

(Here should be a link to the article, yet it seems I am not yet allowed to post them. Will this work? (Just remove the space before the "edu" and put it all in one row:

academia. edu/
15361816/
Cave_of_Iapodes_and_its_petroglyphs_an_Early_Slavic_shrine_of_Perun_Kresnik)

There are some petroglyphs in the cave, and if they really are images of Perun, they are quite unique, as there is practically no extant ("original") images of Slavic gods.

What do you think?

Iapodes is an Illyrian tribe, they speak the same language as the messapic ( southern Italy )...........this is due to Iapodes migration .

They where one of the major Illyrian tribes, along with Liburni, Histri, Dalmatian, Pannonian and some others

True that about the Iapodes. But ... they don't have anything to do with this - apart from the name of the cave (it was named "Cave of Iapodes" before the discovery of the (apparently Slavic) petroglyphs, as there is a large "Iapodic" hill-fort nearby)

True that about the Iapodes. But ... they don't have anything to do with this - apart from the name of the cave (it was named "Cave of Iapodes" before the discovery of the (apparently Slavic) petroglyphs, as there is a large "Iapodic" hill-fort nearby)

whoever or whatever ethnic race was in slovenia prior to slavic migration remained there and became slavic by default when the slavs arrived.

If they are saying that pre-bronze age in this area was slavic then they are wrong. What they need to do is test if the marking in this cave match markings in slavic homeland Belarus/ukraine for pre-bronze age. If the marking do not appear in the slavic homeland, then these markings became "slavic" after the slavs arrived in dark-age times and should remain as most likely proto-illyrian.

I don't think they are saying that.

There is no suggestion there that the petroglyphs were carved in the "pre-bronze" age ... If the shrine is Slavic then it was of course made in 6th-8th century AD.

As far as I understand, the extant (slovenian) toponyms in the vicinity of the cave point to an Early Slavic ritual landscape, and this is the main reason for the conclusion that the petroglyphs may represent a Slavic god.

The main problem with images of Slavic gods is that virtually none exists today. The carvings in the cave are (superficially) similar to many symbols and images of many cultures ...

And the "Iapodes" in the (unfortunate) name of the cave are just confusing everything. :wink:

I don't think they are saying that.

There is no suggestion there that the petroglyphs were carved in the "pre-bronze" age ... If the shrine is Slavic then it was of course made in 6th-8th century AD.

As far as I understand, the extant (slovenian) toponyms in the vicinity of the cave point to an Early Slavic ritual landscape, and this is the main reason for the conclusion that the petroglyphs may represent a Slavic god.

The main problem with images of Slavic gods is that virtually none exists today. The carvings in the cave are (superficially) similar to many symbols and images of many cultures ...

And the "Iapodes" in the (unfortunate) name of the cave are just confusing everything. :wink:
Thanks Kunigunda, Welcome to Eupedia, I'll read it tomorrow, sounds intriguing.

This thread has been viewed 5678 times.

Back