An inside story of New Orleans

nurizeko

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Half scottish half Germanic, i got blood from austria, germany, scotland england, im a mongrol.
http://neworleans.indymedia.org/news/2005/09/4683.php

Suffice to say i couldnt believe what i was reading, i didnt expect such behaviour in America of all places, but, its a good read to know, for some reason i dont have much trouble doubting that for the most part its true.

That's an excellent article. Thank you for posting it.

For some reason, some people seem to think this is not how things really were/are happening.

It is totally against reason that the police and the national guards were shooting into the air to scatter all large groups of people into small groups of 8; while groups of civilians only huddled for security not to get mugged by anyone armed, the police and national guards used force out of ungrounded fear. It is also appalling that the guards stole water and rationed food from the civillians, and denied them shelter, passage out of New Orleans, and food & water till a good while after the rescue all the while treating them like prisoners shouting cuss words at them. Is that possible in America today ? It both saddens and angers me that a civilized country could have its public servants and millitary to behave like that. Whoever is responsible for their behavior should first be praised for the rescue effort, and then be brought to court individually for brutalities that cost lives and undue suffering. It is not okay to treat people like animals, and then to go away free as if everything is alright, because it's not alright.

Is it true that there were no crimes in the Superdome and the second shelter ? Who covered up the looting by the rich whites and elaborated that by starving blacks ? If that is true, who are the criminals perpetrating racist reports ? They should also be brought to justice.

Also what are some people shouting about Larry Bradshaw and Lorrie Beth Slonsky (authors of the linked Sep. 07 report) who were paramedics frorm California attending the EMS conference in New Orleans ? What do they find problematic about their credibility by being employees of SEIU Local 790 ?

Nice find and post there nurizeko. I'm not so surprized, again, that such has happened; even in America. People are people, and it doesn't matter where you are in the world. Those with power usually work to protect their power bases, in the world of politics and military, it often seems--and of course there are surely those who don't do so at the cost of other humans.

All in all, I think there had not been enough forethought on possible scenarios when the storm was coming in, and so no one, basically was ready, so, in the end, in all the chaos, everyone fought for themselves including those law enforcers and troops under orders. Not all were so bad, I'm sure.

However, the situation in the US after 9/11 is just crazy I'd say; I could never live there again, I don't think.

It was sad, and tragic news.

That's crazy. They're trying to get people to leave, and not letting them leave. When I heard of that shoot to kill policy I was concerned about overeaction and wondering what was going on. It seems from what I've heard they handled the situation badly and much too slow. Not to mention that it could have been prevented in the first place. Interesting article from someone actually there - thanks for posting.

http://www.counterpunch.org/neville09072005.html

Here is another article that ties into the horror of Bradshaw/Slonsky letter. The truth of what happened (and is happening in NO) is just coming to light. This was a disaster unlike any other for the US. When all is said and done I think people will be absolutely shocked about how we all handled this situation.

I definitely agree with you there, Ardeo. The US government should be ashamed.

This thread has been viewed 505 times.

Back