Ancient genomes from Iceland reveal the making of a human population

Okay, enough is enough. This has gone way off the rails from Ancient Icelandic Genomes.

@Northerner, the article speaks for itself for everyone to read. Maybe the author doesn't realize their own bias. With victimology at the level to hold a grudge from 2000 years ago against Romans; one must have a pretty distorted point of view. At any rate, please use a more appropriate thread for this discussion.

I'm sorry that you feel that this has anything to do with my personal feelings about the relative worth of these groups of ancient people. Much of my academic training prior to my post graduate work was in history. This is historical analysis, and nothing more.

And I'm sorry, Rizla, but your interpretation of both what the article said and what I said is faulty. You're reacting emotionally, in reaction to some imagined slight, imo, and therefore you're not at all following the logic of what I said in relation to that article.

Let's turn to the article first. Clearly, the Romans thought that the tribes with whom they came into contact, i.e. the Celts, Germans etc. were "barbaric", as in wild, savage, lacking in civilization. (The Greeks felt the same way about the non-Greeks in Europe with whom they came into contact.)

That absolutely doesn't mean that they based or said they based their conquests on a desire to civilize them, although it may mean they believed that gave them the right to conquer them. Surely you can see the difference between those two things?

One way you can see what I mean is with the Greeks. The Romans never considered the Greeks savages. If anything they thought the Greeks were effete, too civilized. Did it stop them from conquering them and enslaving a lot of them? Clearly not. It just meant that Greek slaves, since they were literate, educated, conversant with "civilized" norms, were the most prized slaves.

The thing to do, Rizla, when studying warfare, is to always, absolutely always "follow the money", or follow the economic gain. Tribes fight other tribes, countries fight other countries over resources: land, minerals, water, gold, women, slaves, you name it. If you can paint your opponents as barbaric sub-humans it helps to justify it in your mind.

Here's another way of seeing what I mean. The European countries, predominantly England, engaged in large scale conquests of other lands for economic reasons as well. However, the twist they added, which I personally think is hypocritical, is to state that they were doing it for the good of these savages.

Rudyard Kipling wrote a very famous poem for its time called the White Man's Burden which served as a sort of banner for the concept.

"In the later 20th century, in the context of decolonisation and the Developing World, the phrase "the white man's burden" was emblematic of the "well-intentioned" aspects of Western colonialism and "Eurocentrism".[16] The poem's imperialist interpretation also includes the milder, philanthropic colonialism of the missionaries:

The implication, of course, was that the Empire existed not for the benefit — economic or strategic or otherwise — of Britain, itself, but in order that primitive peoples, incapable of self-government, could, with British guidance, eventually become civilized (and Christianized).[17]

The poem positively represents colonialism as the moral burden of the white race, which is divinely destined to civilise the brutish and barbarous parts of the world
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Man%27s_Burden

This is the kind of attitude to which I was referring. There's nothing really like it in antiquity.

In fact, the Romans sort of invented the concept later revived in France after other large scale encounters with less "civilized" people of the "Noble Savage", whom they contrasted with their more civilized and therefore corrupt societies. Obviously, anyone with a head on their shoulders should know that both the "barbarity" and "nobleness" are exaggerations, formulated for their own benefit and not having anything necessarily to do with the "natives" themselves.

For example:
"Thus it is that the German women live in a chastity that is impregnable, uncorrupted by the temptations of public shows or the excitements of banquets. Clandestine love-letters are unknown to men and women alike. Adultery in that populous nation is rare in the extreme, and punishment is summary and left to the husband. He shaves off his wife's hair, strips her in the presence of kinsmen, thrusts her from his house and flogs her through the whole village. They have, in fact, no mercy on a woman who prostitutes her chastity. Neither beauty, youth nor wealth can find the sinner a husband. No one in Germany finds vice amusing, or calls it 'up-to-date' to debauch and be debauched. It is still better with those states in which only virgins marry, and the hopes and prayers of a wife are settled once and for all. They take one husband, like the one body or life that they possess. No thought or desire must stray beyond him. They must not love the husband so much as the married state. To restrict the number of children or to put to death any born after the heir is considered criminal. Good morality is more effective in Germany than good laws in some places that we know."

https://www.ourcivilisation.com/smartboard/shop/tacitusc/germany/chap1.htm

I don't know how you get from that to saying I was somehow disparaging the tribes of northern Europe.

In so far as I have a personal opinion about the "Fall of Rome", of course I'm not "for" something that destroyed not only our infrastructure, but decimated our people. However, I would feel the same way if I were not Italian, contrary to what you are implying. My opinion, academic as well as personal, is, as I have said again and again, the fact that I am always "for" the civilized "core" against the incursions of the less "civilized" peripheral peoples.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone not blinded by "ethnic" feeling and bias could think otherwise. How could one think it's a good thing for humanity as a whole to have all our carefully acquired technology and culture, built up over thousands of years, including literacy, be lost, and to be plunged into a "Dark Ages" of hundreds if not thousands of years, where we have to climb our way back up all over again, be something to be applauded. My attitude is the same whether we're talking about the Han Chinese, or the Indians, or certain cultures in Africa and South America. It has nothing to do with my personal ethnicity. I know it seems to be the cycle of human history, but I don't have to like it. For goodness sakes' both sides of my family are from Ligure areas. The Romans killed the Ligures, enslaved them, exiled them. Only some survived. I don't bear grudges, and not just because I'm also descended from the invaders. It's because the Ligures chose the wrong side, imo. They were much better after their incorporation into the Roman world than they were before.

Honestly, when I go through this over and over again, I am constantly amazed that so many people in this hobby think these are novel opinions, only held by Italians or other Southern Europeans. People, you have to read some of the thousands of books and papers written on the subject in English, books and the ideas from them to which I was introduced in AMERICAN universities, by AMERICANS of primarily Northern European ancestry.

I see I didn’t get my point across, probably my fault, because I guess my post wasn’t very constructive. This is what you wrote earlier in the thread, and basically what I opine against. And it’s not the first thread I see you pass moral judgement on ancient cultures. I've seen you bashing the yamnaya too.

I'm an equal opportunity basher. I don't make my judgments based on absurd ethnic criteria. I make them based on an objective application of a set of standards. Try it some time. Read some history first, though.
This is where you're wrong. Modern standards to judge ancient people? I've seen you do it in other threads too. That's not historical analysis.

The germanic people were racist and didn’t treat their slaves very good, but does that make them more evil than the romans? The romans built roads, and up to the end they even started giving something like “human rights” to their slaves. But they also had innocent people eaten alive by wild animals - as entertainment. They had thousands of slaves crucified and so on. Are they better than the "barbarians"? By which measure? And is the measure necessary when we are talking ancient people. The romans were imperialists, and their motives are like the motives of any other imperialistic ancient people. We can blame the Chinese for behaving imperialistic in Tibet, because they should know better, but we can’t blame the romans for acting imperialistic in Judea when they destroyed the temple - because it was a different time and there is no need. It just turns history into something absurd. Why not blame the azecs they sacrificed humans to their gods too?

http://necrometrics.com/romestat.htm

I acknowledge that the romans achieved amazing things - just to build an empire of that size in that age. They were clearly also more advanced than the Germanic people, who barely had writing, and they were vastly more advanced in philosophy, history etc. I admire the romans, I do. But I also admire the Vikings for reaching America as early as they did. I’m also fascinated that they apparently had female warriors. Just because it is fascinating to imagine. It doesn't make the vikings the feminists though (DNA tests recently proved that what was always thought to be a male warrior grave, actually was a female. I think it was In Upsala)

Is it because you are christian, that you believe in an objective morality? Not saying this to provoke you. I see myself as a humanist too and I believe in human rights. But I also understand that people of different cultures are born with different worldviews, and that what is perceived as evil in one culture can be considered good in another. This is especially true in ancient times were knowledge wasn't easily available like today. And ideas, thoughts and philosophy weren’t very developed yet.

It’s not like we just woke up one day and thought “all humans are born equal”.

That absolutely doesn't mean that they based or said they based their conquests on a desire to civilize them, although it may mean they believed that gave them the right to conquer them. Surely you can see the difference between those two things?

Oh, come on. Is that an important distinction to you? The romans were imperialists. And like all other imperialists of the ages, they did what they did to get land, wealth, prestige.

About the fall of Rome I have no opinion about that. It happened a long time ago. It's history. It most certainly sucked for the citizens of the roman empire living back then though. It surely was a loss to them. A lot would have been different if hadn't happened, but I’m not sure the world would have been a better place.

Speculating about that is truely pointless.

And I don't blame the "barbarians". People did what they had to do based on where they were coming from. Hw they perceived the world and their place in it.
History is history. It’s the past. We can learn from it. But passing judgement on ancient people using modern standards is absurd, childish and silly.

I have no idea why you are talking about emotion. I don't have any emotional investment in any of these historic people. Is it because of my ethnicity and Y-DNA HG? You think I’m defending the Germanic people?

I know that statistically chances are extremely high that I have ancestors of any european MtDNA or Y-DNA that you can think off, including most major sub-groups. Each one of them, just as much my ancestor, as the one I inherited my Y-DNA from. I'm 99% sure I have ancestors among all major european cultures of antiquity - this is simply based on how many ancestors any of us would have had in year 0 CE - and while I surely have a large portion of germanic ancestry I actually look like a spaniard. I know that back in the begining of 1600's I have belgian and south german ancestry. If you think this is about me posting an emotional defence of "my people", you couldn’t be more wrong.

It honestly seems to me, that you are the one being emotional about something that happened 1500 years ago.

I see I didn’t get my point across, probably my fault, because I guess my post wasn’t very constructive. This is what you wrote earlier in the thread, and basically what I opine against. And it’s not the first thread I see you pass moral judgement on ancient cultures. I've seen you bashing the yamnaya too.

This is where you're wrong. Modern standards to judge ancient people? I've seen you do it in other threads too. That's not historical analysis.

The germanic people were racist and didn’t treat their slaves very good, but does that make them more evil than the romans? The romans built roads, and up to the end they even started giving something like “human rights” to their slaves. But they also had innocent people eaten alive by wild animals - as entertainment. They had thousands of slaves crucified and so on. Are they better than the "barbarians"? By which measure? And is the measure necessary when we are talking ancient people. The romans were imperialists, and their motives are like the motives of any other imperialistic ancient people. We can blame the Chinese for behaving imperialistic in Tibet, because they should know better, but we can’t blame the romans for acting imperialistic in Judea when they destroyed the temple - because it was a different time and there is no need. It just turns history into something absurd. Why not blame the azecs they sacrificed humans to their gods too?

http://necrometrics.com/romestat.htm

I acknowledge that the romans achieved amazing things - just to build an empire of that size in that age. They were clearly also more advanced than the Germanic people, who barely had writing, and they were vastly more advanced in philosophy, history etc. I admire the romans, I do. But I also admire the Vikings for reaching America as early as they did. I’m also fascinated that they apparently had female warriors. Just because it is fascinating to imagine. It doesn't make the vikings the feminists though (DNA tests recently proved that what was always thought to be a male warrior grave, actually was a female. I think it was In Upsala)

Is it because you are christian, that you believe in an objective morality? Not saying this to provoke you. I see myself as a humanist too and I believe in human rights. But I also understand that people of different cultures are born with different worldviews, and that what is perceived as evil in one culture can be considered good in another. This is especially true in ancient times were knowledge wasn't easily available like today. And ideas, thoughts and philosophy weren’t very developed yet.

It’s not like we just woke up one day and thought “all humans are born equal”.

Oh, come on. Is that an important distinction to you? The romans were imperialists. And like all other imperialists of the ages, they did what they did to get land, wealth, prestige.

About the fall of Rome I have no opinion about that. It happened a long time ago. It's history. It most certainly sucked for the citizens of the roman empire living back then though. It surely was a loss to them. A lot would have been different if hadn't happened, but I’m not sure the world would have been a better place.

Speculating about that is truely pointless.

And I don't blame the "barbarians". People did what they had to do based on where they were coming from. Hw they perceived the world and their place in it.
History is history. It’s the past. We can learn from it. But passing judgement on ancient people using modern standards is absurd, childish and silly.

I have no idea why you are talking about emotion. I don't have any emotional investment in any of these historic people. Is it because of my ethnicity and Y-DNA HG? You think I’m defending the Germanic people?

I know that statistically chances are extremely high that I have ancestors of any european MtDNA or Y-DNA that you can think off, including most major sub-groups. Each one of them, just as much my ancestor, as the one I inherited my Y-DNA from. I'm 99% sure I have ancestors among all major european cultures of antiquity - this is simply based on how many ancestors any of us would have had in year 0 CE - and while I surely have a large portion of germanic ancestry I actually look like a spaniard. I know that back in the begining of 1600's I have belgian and south german ancestry. If you think this is about me posting an emotional defence of "my people", you couldn’t be more wrong.

It honestly seems to me, that you are the one being emotional about something that happened 1500 years ago.

This will be my last attempt to try to inject some logic into this discussion, and to try to point out to you what I have actually said versus how you would like to portray what I said and have said.

You are once again conflating entirely separate issues.

Let me first address your objection to applying "modern" standards of morality, or, if you prefer, "humanist" standards of morality to people of the past. That is exactly what we have been discussing in the thread about human sacrifice. You might find it interesting. Or maybe not. Anyone who thinks it's "absurd, childish, and silly" to have a moral objection to the behavior of people in the past might very well think we shouldn't be judging the practice of human sacrifice. I wonder at what point you start to apply such standards. Is it "absurd, childish, and silly" to make a moral judgment about the Holocaust, the Armenian genocide, Rwanda?

Yes, on a personal level I do unequivocally apply such standards to the actions of ancient peoples. Yes, I do bash such behavior. You somehow missed, however, in quoting me, that "I'm an equal opportunity basher". What do you think that means? Or rather, how could you possibly read that as meaning that I only object on moral grounds to the behavior of the Germanic tribes? I guess you also missed that I have said over and over that I object to slavery, which the Romans practiced, and the gladiatorial games, and to a good number of their other practices, for that matter. To refer for just a moment to the other thread, I also object to human sacrifice, which was practiced by the Celts, including child sacrifice, which was practiced by the Carthaginians. I actually object on moral grounds to any wars of conquest for booty and slaves, which was practiced by ALL of these peoples.

That is completely separate from the point I was making, which has to do with a well known way of analyzing the past, to wit, that history can be viewed as a cycle of people advancing their technology, their level of organization and sophistication, their standard of living, becoming literate, etc. and then the civilization weakening and being brought down by the less "civilized" cultures of the periphery.

I think it may be inevitable.

As for my point about the fact that the Romans didn't justify their behavior by pretending they were doing it for the good of their victims, I actually do think it's a distinction worth making. At least they weren't hypocrites. More importantly, I didn't make a big deal of it: it was a glancing reference. I needed to explain the distinction because once again the point I was making was totally misunderstood and misinterpreted.

Since it's clear, from my point of view, that you either can't or don't want to understand the points I'm making I think we'll in the future just have to agree to disagree about this topic.

I will ignore the repeated rudeness. It's the civilized thing to do. :)

Meanwhile, this is all completely off topic for this thread.

Any other off-topic posts will be deleted. Including my own. :)

Do not see any offense, all of yours. But the comparisons between the Romans and the Barbarians merits, if not uninteresting at all, is "throlling" this genetics/history thread. Even moderators are fallen into the trap.
This matter would deserve a specific thread elsewhere where someones could compare cultures, economies, and speak too of already ancient questions of ecology (destructions of lands, forrests), and inequality within citizens and so on...

Who was Giermundur hjellarskinn Hjorsson and his twin brother Hamund?

This thread has been viewed 36861 times.

Back